TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Went to the park yesterday with five friends, we had an absolute blast! No pictures, but the rain kept the crowds away and nothing was more than a station wait except for Kingda Ka! Wrote everything in the park once and then re-Road El Toro and nitro and then headed out of the park to the nice car parked on the block to take some sunset pictures. And amazing way to spend a Saturday!

image.thumb.jpeg.f3315a7850de40dafae73b524f52d02f.jpeg

If you have never gone to this park just down the block, I highly recommend it!

^^^Cool picture.

I love seeing Nitro from over there. Most times going to the park we wind up taking the turnpike over from PA and then 195 to 537, but sometimes if we're leaving from my house in Philly we have taken the Betsy Ross over and then the back roads, which makes for a much quicker trip if there is no traffic, and come up 537 from the opposite direction and I love that its like farmland and cornfields and then... all of the sudden Nitro's hammerhead appears out of nowhere.

Never been to that park, how do you get to it when leaving GAdv?

When exiting El Toro, the very first food joint on the corner on the right has the best milkshakes I've ever had in my life. Does anyone know if they sell those exact shakes elsewhere in the park? They don't taste the same as Johnny Rocket's. I'm not an ice cream freak but seriously that chocolate milkshake changed my life.

When exiting El Toro, the very first food joint on the corner on the right has the best milkshakes I've ever had in my life. Does anyone know if they sell those exact shakes elsewhere in the park? They don't taste the same as Johnny Rocket's. I'm not an ice cream freak but seriously that chocolate milkshake changed my life.

I've never even noticed that place before. Good food is hard to come by at Six Flags parks, so it seems like I'll have to try it next time!

Make a left from SFGA (Route 527 South)....it is called "Prospertown Lake," located approx. 1 mile down the road, left-hand side (there is a parking lot).

No clue on the milkshake that changed your life....

So, my girlfriend and I still ended up going to the park to process our season passes, and we got on houdini and skull mountain. Looked at joker construction as well. I must say it looks very good from the entrance/midway. They have the final piece in place, but I'm still not sure how they get the trains on. Anyone able to enlighten me on that?

Hey, does anyone know if certain rides close down due to cold temperatures or precipitation? I was considering visiting this weekend, but saturday doesnt look good...

Kingda Ka is the only ride that will close for rain but in light rain they'll still run it. As far as cold temperatures they absolutely, positively couldn't even begin to give a sh*t.

It got down to 29 that night... they closed a grand total of zero rides. All the ride ops had said that minimum temperature limits for Holiday in the Park weren't even a thing and were never once discussed.

Six Flags Great Adventure has the greatest weather policy of any park in existence. At one point we were sitting in a train on Nitro, turned around, the ride ops weren't even checking it because they were watching the other train almost valley in the woods looking horrified and then when it somehow limped back to the station they threw up the all clear and sent us out. Also the year before we rode Nitro in the sleet during Fright Fest. All coasters besides Ka were open. Ka opened as soon as the sleet stopped.

Yeah but to be fair this park doesn't really care about wind under any normal circumstances. On opening weekend last year they stalled Nitro and valleyed El Toro on the same day.

What happened on Sunday wasn't normal. There were 50 MPH winds with even stronger gusts, power lines were down all over the area and if they sent a Nitro or Toro train there's pretty much a 100% chance Toro would have been in the twister section after the rolling thunder hill (if it even made it that far) and Nitro would have been chilling out in the woods.

Most importantly though there is one downside to Great Adventure's weather policy. If that same thing would have happened on a Fright Fest Saturday they would have opened up the rides when winds died down but they'll close if the crowd levels are low enough that they're losing money. It also makes it harder to open rides in the wind because of you send empty trains with winds like that you're even more screwed.

A park like Cedar Point has a horrendous weather policy but the one positive is that they never close early and they never give up. I've seen them open Sky Ride with only 45 minutes left in the day when it had been closed all day and last year during Halloweekends they opened Dragster, Raptor and Gatekeeper with only about 15 minutes left in the day when winds finally died down.

Great Adventure only has that same level of dedication if crowd levels are high enough.

You're going on a Saturday though... you're fine.

Wind can change all that, though...the other day none of the major rides were open due to the cold/wind mix. Otherwise, you're good to go.

Actually closed at 3pm this past Sunday- and yes, for the reasons already posted- high gusts of 50+ mph.

Kingda Ka is the only ride that will close for rain but in light rain they'll still run it. As far as cold temperatures they absolutely, positively couldn't even begin to give a sh*t.

You always post this pic now when talking about the weather/temp policy but you need to be posting the onrides of us on Nitro closing night with 5 layers of clothing on in 30 degree weather. If you don't, I will...

Lol here you go. These were both from closing day.

And in case you're wondering who the other person is and where I get this from that would be my mother. Brit and I drove down and picked up Boldikus on the way and a few hours later out of nowhere she drove 3 hours, showed up and surprised us because she's convinced that Nitro is the single greatest thing in the world and wanted to ride it in January. Nobody knew she was coming. Lol

That was an awesome day that ended with us all riding Nitro for about an hour and a half straight in below freezing temps without getting off once.

image.thumb.jpg.8854463747e3b3b8bc76d46a19ea44d1.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.00335e685faddfbede103dfe61b885c9.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.7a7089f2ca6b6ccde2243d5c993c5c16.jpg

And random but here's Skull Mountain from closing day... Because Skull Mountain.