TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Attendance is absolutely indicative of profit when your business plan is entirely centered around repeat business on cheap season passes spending money in park.

And here is where I disagree the attendance is indicative of profit because I believe many of the season pass holders who frequent the park most often do not spend money in the park. I know families who will spend more in one day at a park than I will spend in 20 visits. Just look at how many times in this thread that frequent season pass holders tell people interested in SFGAdv to leave the park for lunch and eat at Wawa

Everland is in the top 20 for attendance and lots of that is made of season pass holders. I do notice a lot of pass-holders (including whole families of my students who go almost every other weekend) tend to just go for a few hours grab a quick few rides and then leave without spending anything. The shuttle buses are always packed even in the evening with families showing up with season passes for a free night parade and fireworks show.

You just described nearly all amusement and theme parks in the world, even Disneyland. Only the Orlando Disney parks are any different.

The cost for a normal annual pass here is just under 4 trips. I'm told a daily fireworks show and constant parades are actually quite expensive and a lot of the crowd are people in the area who can pop in for the last 3 hours. Attendance with season passes doesn't always mean profit. Most of their money will come from day trippers who will drive for hours to go to "Korean Disney" and will treat their kids to dinner in the park and souvenirs to remember the day, not the locals who will pick up maybe 1 or 2 gifts a year.

The bolded is the difference here. A Busch Platinum Pass at the cheapest park in the chain is $200 USD. A Cedar Fair Platinum Pass is, last I checked, $209 USD. Disneyland annual pass w/no blackout dates is $779, I believe? Six Flags America gate price is $62.99. Their gold pass (includes parking, entry to all parks in chain, etc)? $66.99. Their quarterly reports over the last two years push that memberships (basically layaway season pass sales) and season pass sales are their primary points of growth in place of per cap spending (which has decreased). This is not some wild conspiracy theory.

Spins are triggered by magnetic (Eddy current) fins placed along ride circuit. Each ride will be different depending on weight distribution. You can see in image below an example of an off-the-shelf design that S&S offers.

freespin.JPG.b9fc2a28c0cf6ecfaeff8c5541780b5f.JPG

Source: S&S Website

ss.JPG.e66c0459269881728a9d26ad5d8240b2.JPG

"Spin-Inducing" fins go through devices shown

Edited by DJeXeL

It's great to see it going up so quickly. For one I'm also very happy with the season pass pricing. We are still regularly getting new rides and it's way more affordable than other chains. Not sure why anyone would complain. If you prefer to pay more than go there instead of just bashing SF.

Screamscape posted about how one of their readers stated that the crew who tore down the stadiums are now demolishing the chiller station structure. What's going on over there? Does this mean no more asylum during fright fest?

Could this also be the removed attraction everyone has been speculating about?

*edit: also could this mean a new attraction for that area in the coming years? Such as a T-Rex maybe?

Screamscape posted about how one of their readers stated that the crew who tore down the stadiums are now demolishing the chiller station structure. What's going on over there? Does this mean no more asylum during fright fest?

Coaster feed posted about that, apparently it's not true

OMG Ryan look what you've done!

Guys, until the park announces something its nothing but a rumor. A little speculation is fun but this thread is really tumbling down a rabbit hole with these T-Rex/2017 coaster theories. Maybe there is something to it but its going to be 7+ months until we know for sure. Our 2016 attraction isn't even halfway built yet.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a bunch of new coasters, but I kind of wish yall could just go back to assuming a Justice League dark ride is the next thing coming, it seems much more realistic.

Guys, until the park announces something its nothing but a rumor. A little speculation is fun but this thread is really tumbling down a rabbit hole with these T-Rex/2017 coaster theories. Maybe there is something to it but its going to be 7+ months until we know for sure. Our 2016 attraction isn't even halfway built yet.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a bunch of new coasters, but I kind of wish yall could just go back to assuming a Justice League dark ride is the next thing coming, it seems much more realistic.

I agree with Justice League for 2017. I just think that if it is true that Chiller's station was taken down, we could be seeing a reopening of that area in the next few years (2018-2019 is my guess) and that the centerpiece of it will be a Trex Coaster.

Screamsource is just a kid on instagram who makes stuff up as he goes along. He once said GAdv gets 20 million visitors a year, so take anything he says with an enormous grain of salt.

Well, they do get 20+ million a year, that is true. After looking at the kids page, I can see where people get these rumors from, but at the beginning of his posts, he specifically says things are rumors. Also, on CoasterFeed's post, he said he mixed up the websites and his source was The Railer from GreatAdventureHistory.com .

Anyway don't trust any of these Instagram accounts unless they are proven to have an "inside source".

^^ No, Great Adventure does not get 20 million visitors a year. Great Adventure doesn't even get 3 million a year.

so either it was a typo, or the kid has no clue what he's been talking about.

It's the second option.

Screamsource is just a kid on instagram who makes stuff up as he goes along. He once said GAdv gets 20 million visitors a year, so take anything he says with an enormous grain of salt.

Well, they do get 20+ million a year, that is true. After looking at the kids page, I can see where people get these rumors from, but at the beginning of his posts, he specifically says things are rumors. Also, on CoasterFeed's post, he said he mixed up the websites and his source was The Railer from GreatAdventureHistory.com .

Anyway don't trust any of these Instagram accounts unless they are proven to have an "inside source".

yea mitch....im sure you visit his page alot.

"The Railer" (just a username Railer) is not a trustworthy source, to say the least.

"The Railer" (just a username Railer) is not a trustworthy source, to say the least.

100% correct. He's got no problem making wild, unsubstantiated claims and will argue to death with actually credible people about how he's "right". He's got no problem posting leaked footage early on his crappy FB page for the sake of being first. He's the British tabloid of coaster news.

Read what he says for entertainment purposes only. I can't think of a stronger case of overcompensation.

In ACTUAL news, Flyin' Phil posted photos from his latest flight this weekend, including four of SFGAdv. They give a nice overhead view of the construction but unfortunately don't clear up this dumb Chiller station debate.