TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

My only guess is that they put some faster wheels on it that it probably didn't need anyway and now it's running so fast that it feels like it's trying to rip your face apart.

Fixed.

Oh yeah! Pictures!

01.jpg.f0ac81ce37fcb7d055107bb25e6f0009.jpg

We may have been a little early.

02.jpg.40522f0d88c79f7a54096629bea1925b.jpg

First stop

03.jpg.64bbce9cdc9506f91d196859ced545a2.jpg

Five laps right away before we had to give up the back row

04.jpg.15d912950fc81e6f20fc4f17fc4c88aa.jpg

I call to order the Cult of Skull Mountain

05.jpg.e09edae022877c88aca9682aa213df61.jpg

Gotta love sunset Nitro rides, even if its dipping into the 30s.

06.jpg.34154694b718ff6888fa2e6ef58dbe54.jpg

Things cleared out pretty quick after dark.

07.jpg.1f9751035c15aa7828bb4adeddf730e1.jpg

Quiet.

09.jpg.b9c2ced0080207a72a3e2721f3cc8d3e.jpg

You can't tell by this pic but Batman will rip your face off

11.jpg.80fefdcc980716bc0f502a7705f71b0b.jpg

Sad face, don't want to leave. See you in a couple weeks amigos!

08.jpg.db32a7f514d68ab0c9916061d4d63558.jpg

I rode Dark Knight for the first time in 2 years and liked it!

10.jpg.66896b404cd00c8617da68c1a77bf78f.jpg

One last look after last rides of the season.

^I'm surprised that they've kept up the theming from The Dark Knight after all these years since the movie released. Kudos to Six Flags for keeping up the one positive element of an otherwise terribly weak addition to the park (and an even weaker attempt at making a dark ride experience).

^ I've actually only ridden it once before (2 years ago as mentioned) and half the props and lights weren't working. Also I went into it not knowing it was a wild mouse so I was disappointed and have always felt like it was a waste of time. Yesterday I just went with the flow and just rode it, and wound up really enjoying myself. Not a huge fan of laterals (now that Im thinking about it TDK might be the source of my back/neck pain this morning) but all of the effects/props/etc seemed to be on and we were all laughing our asses off the whole ride.

Unfortunately the holographic billboards haven't been working for a while. One stopped working in 2010, the other one stopped working in 2011. The clown car horn at the end of the ride was also not working for a while but was recently fixed. They were my 2nd favorite effect after the tunnel that lights up with the writing on it. The clown mask screen in the station queue seems to be only working around half the time as well.

I like The Dark Knight coaster, especially because it is good to get inside from the colder weather on some days. I just wish they would stop running the pre-show on days the ride is a walk on. It can be difficult to get multiple rides in a short amount of time when you have to wait to get into the pre-show, watch the film and then walk to the station and find empty cars cycling. You can usually get a re-ride on those days if no one is waiting in the station which does help.

Now that Holiday in the Park is over I just want to say again that Great Adventure did an unbelievable job with this event. We got to spend the day yesterday and had another great day (and it was awesome hanging out with Boldikus all day too). Every visit we've had to Holiday in the Park has been excellent.

The lights are great, The shows and decorations are great and maintenance should be commended for keeping those rides running throughout the entire event. Sure it's been a warmer than normal year, but the fact that they managed to run 4 B&M's through January 3rd in New Jersey (when temperatures dropped into the 20's at times and high winds were a common occurrence) is amazing, and never once did any of them close because of low temps.

Great job by everyone that helped make Holiday in the Park happen. It seems like it was a tremendous success for the park and hopefully they bring this event back year after year.

I agree. Also, thank you for everyone who attended the event, so SF can be enticed to do it again next year. According to a friend that works at SFA, thanks to things running good at Gadv, it's looking good for the event to maybe run down here next year. It was my first time at SFGadv. I look forward to going next year when everything is open.

Lol yeah I've given up trying to figure out what's going on with Batman. My only guess is that they put some faster wheels on it that it probably didn't need anyway and now it's running so fast that it feels like it's trying to rip the track apart. Still butter smooth and just so damn awesome.

This only just occurred to me, could it have something to with it only recently being converted back from Namtab? Maybe the trains went through some serious rehab, fresh lube, wheel allignment, something along those lines?

^ I've actually only ridden it once before (2 years ago as mentioned) and half the props and lights weren't working. Also I went into it not knowing it was a wild mouse so I was disappointed and have always felt like it was a waste of time. Yesterday I just went with the flow and just rode it, and wound up really enjoying myself. Not a huge fan of laterals (now that Im thinking about it TDK might be the source of my back/neck pain this morning) but all of the effects/props/etc seemed to be on and we were all laughing our asses off the whole ride.

Yeah, this ride tore my neck up. Will not ride it again.

So now that the year is over... SPECULATION!!!

Harry over at GAHistory had this photo from his latest trip report:

The Asylum terror trail has been completely removed. I don't recall how long it's been there, but it has definitely been there since at least 2013 (according to Google Maps). It's not something I've ever heard of being removed and rebuilt before, either.

Thoughts on if this is related to a smaller refurbishment project of some kind, or the beginning of something great?

Sitting here imagining what Nitro would be like on this day of 23 degrees and single-digits projected for tonight.......

The logical part of me would say that they would never open it, and actually they may not even open the park in these types of temperatures but it's Great Adventure so it would surprise me in no way if they just sent a train up the lift and hoped for the best.

There probably comes a point though where even if the ride could run the weather would dictate that the ride would no longer be enjoyable for guests and they may leave it closed. For example 2 years ago when we were there in the sleet and...

You know what they'd send the damn train. And I love them for that.

The Asylum terror trail has been completely removed. I don't recall how long it's been there, but it has definitely been there since at least 2013 (according to Google Maps). It's not something I've ever heard of being removed and rebuilt before, either.

Thoughts on if this is related to a smaller refurbishment project of some kind, or the beginning of something great?

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm sticking to this until evidence suggests otherwise: Dueling RMC T-Rex.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm sticking to this until evidence suggests otherwise: Dueling RMC T-Rex.

He is right, you know.

SFGAdv IS going to get an RMC. Not a question of if, only when. And when it does, I hope it feels like a more "complete" coaster than Goliath, maybe more along the lines of Lightning Rod, and I sincerely hope it's not going to be a dueling coaster because that would all but ensure a weeny, tiny layout.

SFGAdv IS going to get an RMC. Not a question of if, only when. And when it does, I hope it feels like a more "complete" coaster than Goliath, maybe more along the lines of Lightning Rod, and I sincerely hope it's not going to be a dueling coaster because that would all but ensure a weeny, tiny layout.

Not necessarily, especially if it's a single track dueling coaster like TC. And even if it is short, I'm fine with that. We have multiple long, complete circuit coasters with substance. I feel Chiller really completed our lineup those two years it was open after El Toro was built. An RMC launched coaster would be a sensational attraction regardless of length, and would be one of the very few coaster types to actually be unique within our lineup. I definitely feel it would put us in the convo with SFMM and CP as the best coaster lineup in the world.

I would love them to build something where Chiller was. I honestly thought that Old Country was probably my favorite area at the park during HITP and seeing all that queue and former station untouched was kind of a bummer. I doubt that they would do a major coaster in that area right after building Total Mayhem, but then again it could be possible especially if they do a big overhaul of that area.

Would love to see a summer show in that theater, a new flat ride or two, new food and games in the existing buildings and a major attraction where Chiller was. I hope this would happen, but I doubt it.

I would love them to build something where Chiller was. I honestly thought that Old Country was probably my favorite area at the park during HITP and seeing all that queue and former station untouched was kind of a bummer. I doubt that they would do a major coaster in that area right after building Total Mayhem, but then again it could be possible especially if they do a big overhaul of that area.

Would love to see a summer show in that theater, a new flat ride or two, new food and games in the existing buildings and a major attraction where Chiller was. I hope this would happen, but I doubt it.

Only reasons I feel it's a possibility for 2017 is...

1) They have talked about one of their major focuses being refurbrishing and reopening dead areas of the park. This year, it was the Lakefront. The next logical step is Old Country.

2) Even though SF has skimped on huge additions every year, GAdv has been one of the most spoiled. A nice flat package in 2012 with Skyscreamer, expensive and expansive renovation of the safari in 2013, record breaking drop tower in 2014, HITP and El Diablo in 2015, and a new coaster for 2016. By the eye test, the park had a huge 2015 season attendance and profit-wise, with HITP also doibg very well. I feel there is a good chance SF makes one final big investmenr for 2017 to round things out before a few "down" years.

3) They did send out a survey with the T-Rex animation months before the T-Rex concept was announced, with the ride themed to Batman. The footprint of the coaster + the proposed theme would fit perfectly in that location.

It might be a stretch for 2017, but by 2018 I do expect a new RMC installation at the park.

^^^^^^^^-------------about Old County/major coaster installation in this section of the park.......

"It is what it is!"- however, something like Total Mayhem doesn't do it for me this year (I've been bashed for this attitude earlier on this thread- so no need to do it again! )

That said- I'm very anxious for a major installation at SFGA, as I LOVE IT when my hometown park got the likes of a Kingda Ka and an El Toro! Can they afford a major investment for a major coaster? Does it make biz sense in this day in age? Who knows/got me! Bottom line- I'd love to see it!!!!!

Love the speculation BTW! Looking forward to more comments from you guys!

I'm not sure if anyone saw this yet but the 2016 schedule has been posted. There are now two bonus weekends in November so they won't take a break at all, and most importantly Holiday in the Park will return!

Sweet! Here's to 60 spring weather again in NJ next November and December! Let the speculation begin as to whether they expand the event to encompass the whole park! (I'll go on record as saying doubt it, as the payroll $$$$ vs. attendance numbers wouldn't be worth it right now)