TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Batman, Superman and Green Lantern (from the looks of it, I haven't ridden it because f**k that) are all running flawlessly this event. Whatever they're doing is really working. Nitro has had some close calls and given the forecast tomorrow should be an adventure too but so far (knock on wood) it's been open every day of the event and it's been running well after it warms up) Great Adventure's maintenance department is really working wonders.

^ I agree, Green Lantern felt more forceful and fast than I remembered, as did Superman, though we did back row which always has more of a nice whip through the turns, not to mention how that glorious pretzel loop feels back there.

Nitro has had some close calls .

Some REALLY close calls. I should have gotten video but they had sent around an empty train a few times (protein spill?) right before our 2nd group of rides and watching it out on the course from the station a few times it look like it almost stopped on the two big hills out in the woods. The wind gusts yesterday certainly weren't helping.

^ I agree, Green Lantern felt more forceful and fast than I remembered, as did Superman, though we did back row which always has more of a nice whip through the turns, not to mention how that glorious pretzel loop feels back there.

Wait a second... I doubt it makes much difference either way, but wouldn't the pretzel loop feel strongest in the front or middle of the train? I'm just thinking about the physics involved. By the time the back of the train hits the bottom of the loop where the forces are strongest the front of the train has already started up the other side and the whole train is decelerating. The opposite of a normal loop. Right?

Edited by neil009

I'm no physics expert so in my very unscientific way of explaining why it seems more intense to me - Its not so much how it feels going through the bottom of the loop, its similar to a first drop where the weight of the train causes it to accelerate down into the loop therefore yanking the back of the train down with more whip therefore causing more pressure/g's. It does feel like it lets up a bit while traveling through the bottom and then back up as the train decelerates.

Ok I'm thinking way too hard about this. The pretzel loop isn't shaped like an upside down vertical loop, if you look at it the bottom half of it forms an almost perfect half circle, with a very even radius, rather than the gradually decreasing radius of a vertical loop. So I guess the pattern of the forces would manifest differently? I don't know, I haven't ridden it enough to have an opinion but I bet the forces are spread pretty evenly across the train, just felt at different times. It makes sense you'd get more whip over the top when you're entering it though. The entrance and exit do have a tighter radius.

Ok I'm thinking way too hard about this. The pretzel loop isn't shaped like an upside down vertical loop, if you look at it the bottom half of it forms an almost perfect half circle, with a very even radius, rather than the gradually decreasing radius of a vertical loop. So I guess the pattern of the forces would manifest differently? I don't know, I haven't ridden it enough to have an opinion but I bet the forces are spread pretty evenly across the train, just felt at different times. It makes sense you'd get more whip over the top when you're entering it though. The entrance and exit do have a tighter radius.

Having ridden superman many times in the back row (in fact it's the only row I will sit in) I must say that the whip over the top of the loop is what makes it so good. The front row is already 3/4 of the way down the loop when it crests so it has some major pull. You are right though that going up the loop at the end isn't as intense as it is in the front row because it already started to slow down a bit at that time.

I feel so bad for the team members working Nitro in 29 degree weather

Holiday In The Park has been such a great event! Superman was running better than usual two days ago despite the low 40 degree weather. I almost greyed out during the pretzel loop! (But that may have had more to due with my New Year's hangover) and the Jack Frost show was a nice break from the cold weather and a welcome addition to a park that used to have a lot more entertainment like that. Felt like the good ol days!

Also I cracked the code on green lantern: sit in the 6th row (second to last row) middle seats. Least headbanging/pain and makes for a great ride that i'd put above Superman, Batman, or Bizarro. Any other seat I don't even really like the ride much at all.

I feel so bad for the team members working Nitro in 29 degree weather

Eh, they had it good all December. One weekend it was above 70. They're lucky its only this last weekend its been this cold. Today should be fun, gonna have that closing day energy. See yall there?

8 re-rides today on Nitro without changing trains. Someone called me smart for wearing gloves. Actually, I would call them stupid for not wearing gloves. Only, 1 ride on Batman: The Ride. Walked a lap around the park with my hot chocolate, before eating at Nathans. I think this was the 8th or 9th meal I've gotten with the Dining Pass, but of course I forgot my drink bottle at home again. I was planning to ride Sky Screamer, Houdini and Skull Mountain today, but guilt overcame me as I needed to get home to prepare schoolwork for tomorrow.

For 2016, I just don't have complete confidence in the event if the weather is harsh the whole month of December. I would feel better if there was another indoor show, one more indoor ride (please give us Justice League for 2017) and possibly a movie in the old 3D building.

With SFNE being so far along with STR being fully repainted and Fireball being well under way along with TM having its footers poured already does it look like SF might break the mold and have the new rides ready for opening day?

With SFNE being so far along with STR being fully repainted and Fireball being well under way along with TM having its footers poured already does it look like SF might break the mold and have the new rides ready for opening day?

No. Footers poured in January =/= ride opening in March, no matter how short the track is.

Superman, maybe. Fireball, probably not.

8 re-rides today on Nitro without changing trains. Someone called me smart for wearing gloves. Actually, I would call them stupid for not wearing gloves..

You had an extra pair of gloves this whole time?

yeah.. we're in the Rockies.

Someone called me smart for wearing gloves. Actually, I would call them stupid for not wearing gloves.

I'd be one of those stupid folks then. Didn't even think about gloves when I visited on Friday. Thankfully, Daily Planet had a few pairs of gloves that came to $3.10 with the discount. Success!

Someone called me smart for wearing gloves. Actually, I would call them stupid for not wearing gloves.

I'd be one of those stupid folks then. Didn't even think about gloves when I visited on Friday. Thankfully, Daily Planet had a few pairs of gloves that came to $3.10 with the discount. Success!

I learned my lesson years ago at Smoky Mountain Christmas

Now that Holiday in the Park is over I just want to say again that Great Adventure did an unbelievable job with this event. We got to spend the day yesterday and had another great day (and it was awesome hanging out with Boldikus all day too). Every visit we've had to Holiday in the Park has been excellent.

The lights are great, The shows and decorations are great and maintenance should be commended for keeping those rides running throughout the entire event. Sure it's been a warmer than normal year, but the fact that they managed to run 4 B&M's through January 3rd in New Jersey (when temperatures dropped into the 20's at times and high winds were a common occurrence) is amazing, and never once did any of them close because of low temps.

Great job by everyone that helped make Holiday in the Park happen. It seems like it was a tremendous success for the park and hopefully they bring this event back year after year.

^ I can't believe you posted all that without mentioning the insanity that was Batman yesterday. WTF are they feeding that thing? While they stayed open, all the other B&Ms were limping to the finish line while Batman was just like oh its winter? Time to go faster!

Oh and also getting stuck on the Nitro midcourse in the dark and waiting forever for them to come out to manually release the brake. And how Train B sounded like it was falling apart. Oh and also the kid wearing only a T-shirt on Nitro while we had 3+ layers on.

Oh and also that you got to finally ride Skull Mountain back row with the president, CEO and chairman of the Skull Mountain cult / army / fan club (your words not mine) and how your light-up raver gloves helped us be able to see inside the ride. LOL

Great day dude. You guys are hardcore (love it!), and so much fun. I had a blast. Great hanging out once again.

Bill basically covered it. HITP was awesome, each of my four visits to the event went totally different but I got to try a bunch of food (read: waffles!!), ride all the operating coasters, some flats, some kiddie rides w/ my nephew, and I really loved the lights and decorations. Its funny to think back to when they announced the event and everyone was worried about the "weather permitting" fine print regarding the coasters. This park does not give a single sh*t. Here we were on closing night, in January, in 30 degree temps, re-riding Nitro endlessly (lost count after 12 laps) with a bunch of other coaster nutjobs who just didn't want the season to end. Super giant shouts out to the parks maintenance team who were definitely counting the minutes til 9pm.

What a great way to end it. Only twelve weeks til we ride The Bull once again!

Lol yeah I've given up trying to figure out what's going on with Batman. My only guess is that they put some faster wheels on it that it probably didn't need anyway and now it's running so fast that it feels like it's trying to rip the track apart. Still butter smooth and just so damn awesome.

I actually feel like the coasters were all running at a good speed throughout the event, Nitro had some days where it crawled for the first few hours of the day but then it got up to speed as it kept running. Maintenance had their hands full yesterday with Nitro and Superman but they'd probably take that over that 456 foot tall tower of downtime over in Golden Kingdom.

And yes, it was a tremendous honor to ride Skull Mountain with the president of the Skull Mountain fan club / cult.

Now we just have to suffer through the ridiculously short off season, lol.