TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I took a visit to the Holiday event yesterday from about 3:30 to 7 and I have to say I was very impressed. It was a fun day, we rode Nitro and Batman numerous times with virtually no wait. Batman was incredible, giving faster rides than I can remember from the summer. The park was clean, had music and a nice light display. I was also impressed by them putting out fire pits, it added a nice touch.

IMG_0830.thumb.JPG.f075136ff131ca7dec0ade3be6cfe4e2.JPG

Tweeted this to TPR yesterday.

IMG_0836.thumb.JPG.325c74cd1fc23524b3e54859e2590fa7.JPG

I accompanied JCoaster to the park yesterday, and I have to echo his sentiment. I'm on record on these boards doubting Great Adventure would be able to pull a Holiday event off, but after yesterday I'm gladly eating my words. The lights were very nice, the music was a nice touch, and it was overall a very enjoyable atmosphere. The coasters were running well, and crowds were light.

One minor quibble I have is with Poinsetta Peak. The lights made it look like the Skull was bleeding from its eyes, and the ride itself still had its heavy rock and spooky noises soundtrack blasting. I thought they had decorated the inside of the ride as well.

One minor quibble I have is with Poinsetta Peak. The lights made it look like the Skull was bleeding from its eyes

How is this a quibble?! Skull Mountain should always be bleeding out of its eyes!!!! I think thats the only possible way they could make it even more ridiculously awesome!

The park is empty so far today, I guess a lot of people have other plans today. They just made an announcement that at 8:45 at the tree in the front of the park there will be a New Year's Eve celebration but I'll be gone before then to see what it is.

Lol why are people ways so surprised when the park is empty the first few hours of the day? It's been like that almost every day of Holiday in the Park. Crowds always pick up around dusk.

Ditto! From my "experience"......that is how it's been during this event. Hit it up early for coasters!

Lol why are people ways so surprised when the park is empty the first few hours of the day? It's been like that almost every day of Holiday in the Park. Crowds always pick up around dusk.

Yesterday was the opposite. It wasn't crowded by any means when I arrived at 3, but by 5:30-6, there was a steady stream of people leaving (as seen from the stairs on Green Lantern), with not one car coming through the toll booths.

Third visit to Holiday in the Park is now in the books. Was there from 1:30 til about 5pm today. It was COLD. The sun peaked out a few times but not for long and the temps stayed in the 40s and then dipped into the 30s (was 37 when we left) and it was mostly cloudy, and very windy at times.

All coasters running, managed to get on almost everything at least once and a bunch of laps on Nitro. My last two trips to HITP were in the late afternoon and evening on much milder days so was nice to feel like we had the place to ourselves. When we first arrived went straight to Nitro and was a total walkon but they only had the first four rows open since it was crawling over the hills. Stayed seated for lap 2. Even though it was crawling they were still great rides.

Got the coveted Poinsettia Peak credit which we walked right onto the back row had almost the entire train to ourselves. Stayed on for 2nd ride in same row. Then over for one lap on Batman and I'M FAT! Why can't I fit into these inverts anymore?! First Talon and now Batman. This was never a problem until recently. No walk of shame - kudos to the two hilarious ride ops who got a little workout squeezing me in there. Batman felt extremely fast compared to usual, wondering why. Great as always. Almost tried Dark Knight but actually had a line.

After stopping to check ToteMay construction (just lots of footers, though the surrounding area seems to be taking shape somewhat), we went for Superman back row (walkon) and holy crap the whip through that pretzel loop never gets old. I was then convinced we should ride Green Lantern since no one else was and we almost went for the front but since they were running one train (as was Superman and Batman) we just jumped on row 2 in stead of waiting a cycle. Horrible horrible horrible. Green Lantern is horrible. First ride in almost two years and that's where that relationship ends. I will never ride it again. I tried the ride-with-your-head-sticking-forward "trick" some have suggested and sorry but that's bullsh*t I still got clocked multiple times on either side of my head. After the MCBR I have never wanted a coaster to end so badly.

We were hungry and had some munchies at Nathans. Short wait, good service, food was great. Then back to Nitro for a couple more laps (now allowing riders in all rows, so both laps in the back). After our second of two laps the train dispatching after ours got stuck about 20 feet up the lift. Lots of gawking and pointing ensued. We shrugged and agreed we had good timing, snapped a pic, and decided it was finally waffle time. OMG people believe the hype. I got the "La Nutty" or whatever with nutella, hazelnuts, bananas, whipped cream and of course said yes when that smooth French broad asked in her sensual accent if I wanted the ice cream. Then, "would you like to try our delicious hot chocolate?". Hell yes. These women could have sold me anything.

It was about 4:30 and getting dark so we snagged a bench near Johnny Rockets facing the big fancy tree and got to watch the entire show while I slowly enjoyed my life altering waffle and hot chocolate. It was now freezing, we rode everything we wanted and were able to enjoy a bit of the lights with the sun going down. It also felt like the crowds were starting to stream in so we just called it a day. Hoping to get back on Sunday for closing day, but even if I don't today was a great way to start a new year.

I got a new phone so I have some better than usual pics to share lol.

Nitro 4x

Pointsettia Peak 2x

Batman 1x

Superman 1x

Green Lantern 1x

01.thumb.jpg.99919488c1d07970ca18d3a18bf3aca9.jpg

First stop

02.thumb.jpg.d1b5d2627160b38d26a7241568cc4f1d.jpg

Batman was hauling

03.jpg.d366b6ab2d715f9efa284e203ad5d3fd.jpg

Oh but of course.

04.jpg.9ceb8763f0919c70864ae5dbdbcaac6c.jpg

Quiet early. I live for crowds like this.

05.jpg.9d3197f4a2fde658a523e905046d992d.jpg

ToteMay Footers.

06.thumb.jpg.4b1f9fe09b534eb3775a6369db6a9219.jpg

Superman: Ultimate Ghost Town

07.thumb.jpg.9746d3e050cb032fea1b634d3f57d669.jpg

Six Flags: Ugly Overpriced Xmas Sweater

08.thumb.jpg.1128e02a58ad56a9d1f18ebca062a7e9.jpg

Oh god no.

09.jpg.8f9f0edc435fd5cd8c51170996751e97.jpg

Yum.

10.jpg.2b66ba9920d176152bce1889930dc619.jpg

Couple more laps.

11.jpg.24e8ac556b958424b81c7257240becaa.jpg

Note the ToteMay supports

12.thumb.jpg.ce60ddbace70b3320547feb0be1a2e98.jpg

Train stuck on lift. "Oooo ahhh" said the onlookers.

13.jpg.fefdb0911aee4e24593c2319f73b94a7.jpg

Happy New Years

14.jpg.bcf0d3507ccd049702e8d83a9d0903c9.jpg

OMFG

15.jpg.2d74b3e77aea1adaf36db78372681a24.jpg

Laterz

I was there with my brother today, too. Almost ran into Boldikus, but alas, fate intervened.

I ended up getting a waffle from his recommendation, but since my brother cannot stand bananas, we got the La Choco-berry. It was very good, but pricey - I don't think I'd order it again.

OMFG was it cold. Nitro and SkyScreamer were almost unbearable as a result. It kept us to one ride on Nitro even though there was barely a station wait. Wasn't as bad while on Superman, but it was still pretty cold.

I don't know why but we never mind the cold on Nitro... Even the other night when it was 30 degrees.

Usually we have at least 2-3 sweatshirts / hoodies on and a jacket and 2 pairs of pants... And obviously gloves (sounds excessive but we know what we're getting into) so we dress for it but I never have a problem. The only ride I find cold is Sky Screamer because you're not really doing much of anything to take your mind off the cold.

^I was just an idiot and didn't really dress for it. Just a t-shirt, hoodie and windbreaker, no hat or gloves. Obviously had both hoods up on everything but it just feels so wrong to ride Nitro with my hands in my pockets. The thing is we've had such warm weather I have not unpacked my winter clothes since we moved to the new house lol. I need to find my hat and gloves if I plan on going tomorrow.

I ended up getting a waffle from his recommendation, but since my brother cannot stand bananas, we got the La Choco-berry. It was very good, but pricey - I don't think I'd order it again.

I warned you it was pricey! For the two hot chocolates and one waffle it was $22! One hell of a waffle tho. I really enjoyed that after all our rides - just sitting at the tree and taking my time eating and taking it all in, kind of like reflecting on how this season unfolded.

I was there with my brother today, too. Almost ran into Boldikus, but alas, fate intervened.

It was a great day, shame we couldn't link up this time. We had literally left the park 10-15 minutes before I got your text, and had been debating to stay but the cold just did us in.

All the TPR GreatAdv regulars need to have a meetup in 2016. Yes please? Skull Mountain takeover and all.

I don't know why but we never mind the cold on Nitro... Even the other night when it was 30 degrees.

Usually we have at least 2-3 sweatshirts / hoodies on and a jacket and 2 pairs of pants... And obviously gloves (sounds excessive but we know what we're getting into) so we dress for it but I never have a problem. The only ride I find cold is Sky Screamer because you're not really doing much of anything to take your mind off the cold.

You're clearly a better man than us... we were C-O-L-D. But, thankfully, it gave my friends and I possibly my favorite ride photo ever. Ladies and gentlemen, I call the first meeting of Coaster Grumps Anonymous to order:

image.thumb.jpg.6c4e5e587e5c187bdf308e11cdf8d1ff.jpg

I'm not gonna do a HUGE recap this time because Boldy already got most of the major points down (sorry I didn't run into you!). Got there at 1:05 PM with four friends. Four of us are big coaster junkies, and one is slightly afraid of most of them, so she ended up sitting out all the major ones. Did 3x Nitro to start the day, then Batman 1x, TDK 1x, swung over to Supes 1x (longest wait of the day; 4 train wait for the back row because forget all those other rows). We were all stupid, stupid men and got Green Lantern out of the way for the year, then walked bow legged back to the boardwalk and grabbed lunch at Garden State Grill. (Tip: do NOT get the "cucumber salad" substitution for fries, unless you want a container of Italian dressing with a few random cukes & tomatoes floating around in it. Disgusting.)

Then after eating, it was flat ride time. Did the tea cups. Skipped Houdini because the line looked stupid long and it's not really worth the wait. Buccaneer was a walk on, then did Swashbuckler. Jolly Roger we had all to ourselves thanks to no lighting back there and people forgetting it exists, but honestly I'd rather have a proper Musik Express again. Then all five of us took Skull Mountain together. I ended up in the front seat of the last car all by myself and FINALLY got to experience that first drop airtime I've heard so much about! It DOES exist! :o

By this point, it was quarter to 6 and starting to get really, really, REALLY goddamned cold. We decided to call it after rerides on Batman and Nitro. Three of us hit up Batman and it was STILL a walk-on in the back row! Got back to the station and no one was waiting in our row, so screw it, let's go again! Then the row in front of us cleared out, so we bounced up a spot for our third ride in a row. Amazeballs. Then the four of us headed back over to Nitro for the final ride of the night, also in the last row which had opened up. Nitro in the dark is the best. Snagged an additional ride when the row in front of us was clear to finish off the night. One last stop to the Daily Planet gift shop to pick up a Flash keyring for my 4-year-old, then hit the road back to NY at 7:00 with the car's glorious, life-saving heat cranked all the way up.

Good times.

It was funny, 2 weeks ago it was so cold and windy that late at night when the crowds thinned out they told us they couldn't send our train on Batman until they filled at least 3 rows and they made everyone sit in the front of the train.

I swear despite all of that it was one of the fastest rides we've ever had on it. That ride does nothing but haul ass all day every day. It's an amazing coaster.

I was wondering if it was the wheels? Is it true they have "winter wheels"?

We did sit in the back on Batman so we definitely got that yank through the inversions but it really did feel considerably faster, even going down the drop.

Batman was running faster on Wednesday than I ever experienced it during the height of summer. My totally un-scientific guess is that because of the one train ops, the wheels don't have much time to cool down. Either way, as is, Batman is probably the second best coaster in the park.

With people wearing heavier bulky clothing, it could be weighing the trains down more too. I bet it's a combination of things causing the train to go faster. It could just be like an illusion too with the cold air whipping in peoples' faces. Wish I could get down there. Sounds like the event is going well.

With people wearing heavier bulky clothing, it could be weighing the trains down more too. I bet it's a combination of things causing the train to go faster. It could just be like an illusion too with the cold air whipping in peoples' faces. Wish I could get down there. Sounds like the event is going well.

Unless everyone on the train has a 20 pound jacket, I don't think that has an effect.