TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Anyone else from here doing HITP tomorrow? High of 66!

We'll be there in the afternoon til early eveningish.

If Rikki is working I might swing up during that time, too. I really need to take advantage of this extra time we have with the park, because I know if I don't, I'll really regret it once the off-season hits, even if it is shorter this year.

Agreed about getting it in while I can. I feel the same way - like now or never! With the next few weekends dedicated to holiday crap and this freak spring weather we're getting tomorrow and Sunday I need to get some rides in now as I'm not sure I'll even get to the park at all before the end of the year.

I'll keep an eye out for ya. We're taking the nephew like the last few times so we'll be in the Safari Kids/Nitro/Movietown area for the most part.

Sorry for the doublepost but just had to make sure everyone caught Stephen Colbert riding Nitro while yapping about Moby Dick. LMAO

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

HA! Every time a Six Flags employee tries to make me remove my glasses I'll bring up this video on my cell phone.

The park is extremely crowded although not surprising with the weather. From riding Nitro, the line of cars to get into the lot is backed up to the toll booths after you get past them (and a long line to get to the toll booth). Nitro's line is almost to the switchbacks. Crowds were low until around 3:30. Even Air Jumbo had an almost full queue when I walked past it earlier.

Even when leaving the park after 6, there were long lines to get tickets and the amount of people walking in the parking lot towards the park was something I had never seen before (maybe on a Saturday during Fright Fest it is also like this?). Same thing with the cars entering, the line to the parking booths was gone but it was a steady amount of cars entering.

Today marks the first time I went to the park and rode nothing. At least my nephew got on a few of the kiddie rides but man was it packed. Like Fright Fest level of packed. Unfortunately our day hit some snags early on so we didn't get there til 5, and it was a wait to get passed the toll booth, a wait to get into the lot, a huge ridiculous wait to get through security (30+ minutes), followed by a healthy wait to get in the main gate. I did manage to get my 2016 pass processed so that's nice that it's out of the way. But yeah no way was I waiting for food with insane waits like that, though we did finally spot the waffle place by the fountain. Smelled good, menu looked awesome. But oh man so packed. The only coaster line I checked was Nitro and it was into the switchbacks. Super bummed there aren't more places to eat and that they are so understaffed. We left at 7 and went to Wendy's. Feels weird to have gone and not ridden anything but not surprised with the weather that it was that packed. If the kid wasn't with us would have been a mandatory flash pass day for me. Didn't even make it over to Boardwalk. I have high hopes for next year but (maybe I'm just spoiled going so frequently) I can't deal with the park crowded like that.

Edit: some photos

01.thumb.jpg.69da476bf3c7adaeb1b425f52f74f88b.jpg

02.jpg.d27ce848620e567d686e02b98dc427fc.jpg

04.thumb.jpg.ce14dc47942eb2c8f1913fe16ae7c8a8.jpg

05.jpg.b7a8820acfc554c7233fb76644be57ab.jpg

06.jpg.2cd11715aa616b04515d48c260eea898.jpg

07.jpg.84ec314fcbbde7e047635baa0fe65b71.jpg

08.jpg.5cb7482c451dff13c8b6f10642e99242.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.340e2fe498fb4666c369617737920ea5.jpg

09.jpg.d0c6a1dc26623574d75d9e94e5bf0ca0.jpg

^ I saw multiple posts online that the park extended their hours to 10pm last night.

The event is obviously a success, I'm stoked about that but more about the fact that it should be much better next year. Clearly the weather is helping immensely, they've gotten really lucky with that so far. I just hope they hire A LOT more people next year for this and open more areas of the park to spread the crowds out. Even if its just BBNP and Frontier, since RMT, Skyway and Bizarro could open. Having Plaza Del Carnival would be nice for obvious reasons but I would be totally OK with Golden Kingdom being closed again next year. And open more food places! They need to have every single place in the Boardwalk open - food and games. I haven't been back there since Black Friday but half of it was closed which I thought was weird, lame, and a huge missed opportunity for money making, not to mention spreading the crowds out. And I wonder if ToteMay will be open for this next year since it sits basically right behind the giant tree in the fountain on Main St.

I got some great riding in between 2:00 and 3:30 yesterday - everything was station wait or even walk-on. Then between 3:30 and 4:00 it's like someone opened the flood gates. I've never seen a park fill up that quickly, totally crazy. Got in one last lap on Nitro around 4:00 with only a 10minute wait. Then checked out Batman and Poinsettia queues.... totally slammed... so I bounced.

It was literally 70F according to my car. Walking around in a t-shirt was really weird with the holiday atmosphere.

And open more food places! They need to have every single place in the Boardwalk open - food and games. I haven't been back there since Black Friday but half of it was closed which I thought was weird, lame, and a huge missed opportunity for money making, not to mention spreading the crowds out.

I agree they need more food places open or at least more workers at the places that are open. Normally on the way out of the park around 6 - 6:30 I stop and get dinner and then a snack to take home because of the dining pass. Yesterday it looked like it was going to be at least an hour wait for dinner with only 1 or 2 lines open at the places I walked past. The snack lines were bad too and it looked like many of the places had run out of snacks like the popcorn bags so I didn't bother with either (lunch was ok with only 1 person ahead of me at the Garden State Grill).

^^Well... I don't know if that was sarcastic or not but if you didn't know and the post was worded in a way that makes it seem like the person in question is well known (which it was), then I imagine it would save a lot of time to just google his name. Jim Reid-Anderson is the CEO of Six Flags.

If that was sarcastic, then my mistake and I apologize. But it wasn't the best execution.

^^Well... I don't know if that was sarcastic or not but if you didn't know and the post was worded in a way that makes it seem like the person in question is well known (which it was), then I imagine it would save a lot of time to just google his name. Jim Reid-Anderson is the CEO of Six Flags.

If that was sarcastic, then my mistake and I apologize. But it wasn't the best execution.

And open more food places! They need to have every single place in the Boardwalk open - food and games. I haven't been back there since Black Friday but half of it was closed which I thought was weird, lame, and a huge missed opportunity for money making, not to mention spreading the crowds out.

I agree they need more food places open or at least more workers at the places that are open. Normally on the way out of the park around 6 - 6:30 I stop and get dinner and then a snack to take home because of the dining pass. Yesterday it looked like it was going to be at least an hour wait for dinner with only 1 or 2 lines open at the places I walked past. The snack lines were bad too and it looked like many of the places had run out of snacks like the popcorn bags so I didn't bother with either (lunch was ok with only 1 person ahead of me at the Garden State Grill).

The park (or corporate) took a big chance on starting this event. There were a lot of unknowns, particularly the weather. It they had known how mild it would be I'm sure they would have proactively hired more employees. It's not easy to hire once all the retailers start hiring for the holiday season.

The park was most likely not willing to increase their risk by hiring to many employees and staffing too many food locations

Although all of this year's numbers point to the event being a success. However, it is still unknown what would have happened with harsher weather