TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Wish I didn't work weekends, because with this amazing weather I've been dying to check out HItP. I'm extremely lazy and don't feel like reading through all the pages, but how is the event? Have the coasters been running? Has it been crowded? I might get "sick" next Saturday and head on down. The appeal of riding a B&M hyper in the North East in December is too tantalizing to pass up.

We ended up on the last train of the night at park close (that got stuck on the lift for a bit but eventually they sent us) and it was 30 degrees. Believe it or not it wasn't bad at all, you don't feel the cold until you get off. The ride was running really well too, it seemed faster than it did 2 weeks ago.

^

You're really making me wish I squeezed in some park time this weekend. Looks like it will have to be next. Speaking of which, local weatherman this morning is saying next weekend is going to have freakishly warm temps. I know not to trust him this far in advance but on this mornings broadcast he's boasting about 60 on Saturday and 65 on Sunday. If that turns out to be true, this is great for the park, the weather has really been cooperating for this event so far.

I figured I'd post a few more pictures from Holiday in the Park yesterday (crappy phone pics sorry)...

We had a great day and the park was so packed that it was hard to move at times after sunset in Adventure Alley and over by the Carousel and Houdini. It's awesome to see the park so slammed, tons of people buying food and souvenirs and the park expanding hours (signs of a really successful event) and long lines for flats but manageable lines of 30 minutes or less for the coasters. Seriously... go to this event. It's awesome. Pictures don't even come close to doing it justice.

1.thumb.JPG.50563bb011530435b1fe146f1a233ba4.JPG

Batman and Nitro doing their thing... We got on the last train of the night on Nitro and got stuck about 1/3 of the way up the lift. Maintenance showed up and literally just took a huge mallet to something in the transfer area but after a 15 minute delay we all got our ride. It was pretty funny, they just kept banging on it and would occasionally yell over to the ride ops to see if they could clear it. I guess eventually they did. One of the Nitro ops who was wearing short sleeves all night jumped in the train behind us (probably figuring it would be a quick ride and then he could go home and crank up the heat) and the employees in the station and on Batman's Flash Pass platform were all yelling back and fourth with him and laughing at his misfortune. It was funny as hell. He was a really cool guy though and made our lift stop pretty entertaining.

2.thumb.JPG.aab2e3ee330c67fad1fc6241d3b32749.JPG

It's a Poinsettia Peak world, we all just live in it. Near the end of the night this ride had a 30 minute wait (but we waited anyway lol).

3.thumb.JPG.03f106bb589b6af807199654d5b4f2b4.JPG

Pictures will never do this event justice, especially the polar point area.

4.thumb.JPG.42a0953122d572443d7512a20ffb1ed1.JPG

Pictures from Big Wheel, this was right around park close so the place had emptied out a bit. The line for Big Wheel was huge all day. Bizarro is all lit up in the background, it's almost like it wants to come out and play with the other B&M's for HITP.

5.thumb.JPG.26b24d85f386c5b7a33ab98462ffaf53.JPG

Polar Point has to be seen to be believed. It's an endless sea of blue.

I figured I'd post a few more pictures from Holiday in the Park yesterday (crappy phone pics sorry)...

We had a great day and the park was so packed that it was hard to move at times after sunset in Adventure Alley and over by the Carousel and Houdini. It's awesome to see the park so slammed, tons of people buying food and souvenirs and the park expanding hours (signs of a really successful event) and long lines for flats but manageable lines of 30 minutes or less for the coasters. Seriously... go to this event. It's awesome. Pictures don't even come close to doing it justice.

Great! Hopefully they will try it at SFA after the big success at GA.

Based on the posts on my FB account today (Sunday), it sounds like a solid crowd again.

SFGA is in luck, as this upcoming weekend's weather is calling for a high of 59 degrees next Saturday and Sunday! Combine that with "the word getting around" on social media (i.e.- FB, Instagram, etc.), I would speculate that this event is working in their favor.....

I went for the first night of HITP and had a great time. Every single ride was a walk on. Its great to hear that the event picked up some steam and is packing people in now. If it continues to be success, I can see this event sticking around. They are turning a part of the year where they weren't making any money into a pretty big draw.

That can only mean that they are making more money now and have no excuse for not building a fury-killing-giga coaster

^ Yes FP is still available but seems no one is using it. From experience and reports, the lines for coasters aren't bad if you go early in the day. Even later most people are going for the lights, food etc with most of the coasters a short wait.

Looks like I also might be up there Saturday afternoon for a bit. Need a Nitro/B:TR/SM fix.

That can only mean that they are making more money now and have no excuse for not building a fury-killing-giga coaster

We'll see about that...

The success of this event is great news, because Great Adventure already draws in more revenue than the majority of the parks in the chain, even some that are open year-round. So hopefully this event will inspire them to revamp some abandoned/neglected sections of the park. I wonder if S&S 4D Free Spins can operate in cold weather, couldn't find any info, but Total Mayhem would be an awesome addition to the rest of HITP's line up. I've also heard some rumors that El Toro could possibly run at next year's HiTP... only time will tell

^ Yes FP is still available but seems no one is using it. From experience and reports, the lines for coasters aren't bad if you go early in the day. Even later most people are going for the lights, food etc with most of the coasters a short wait.

Looks like I also might be up there Saturday afternoon for a bit. Need a Nitro/B:TR/SM fix.

You are right, but it depends on what is considered a short wait to each. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I had some 45 minute waits when it got dark. Some 30. Walk-ons early in the day though.