TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

OK so I know all of you have been waiting with baited breath to hear my detailed observations about Great Adventure's new Holiday in the Park event, but there's not much to tell. It was pretty fun, and I am looking forward to another visit before the end of the season. There were some pros and cons, but overall I think the park did pretty well.

We (that's me, my sister, my 2 yr old nephew, and my Mom and Dad - who were in town for T-Day and hadn't been to the park since the days of GASM and Shockwave) visited on Black Friday with the hopes everyone would be annihilating each other over iPhones or comatose from tryptophan but with the freakishly warm weather I can't say I was surprised it was a bit crowded and got more so as our afternoon carried on. We arrived around 3pm and I decided to splurge on the preferred parking since we never pay for parking anyway and with the kid and folks in tow, less walking the better. That turned out to be a good decision.

One we got all sorted in the lot, made our way to the entrance, through security, purchased our BAFF $19.99 tickets my folks would use, and through the main gate when we hit a snag: the "jogging" stroller my sis had brought instead of the usual old school lightweight model she normally brings, had a flat. Sad faces all around. I suggested we hit up Guest Relations to see if maaaaaybe there would be some sort of assistance offered in the form of air pump or something. Our problem, I know, and I should not have been surprised by the prompt reply of "Sorry, can't help you with that! You can rent one right there for the bargain rate of $20! *points* Have a Six Flags day!" This is where that preferred parking came in handy - I offered to run our gimp stroller out to the car, but at least I didn't have to go to Guam to do so.

Anyway, crappy start to our visit, but on to the fun. Once we got sorted with our so-very-1980s rented stroller, I was able to focus on the park and how great Main Street looked. And it wasn't even dark yet. Very strange to not make the normal left hand bee-line to El Toro, instead we headed right at the fountain (read: MASSIVE CHRISTMAS TREE) off into Adventurrr - the North Pole? The park felt busy, but not in a normal summer day kind of way. Lots of people just sort of hanging out. Taking photos, talking to characters, snacking, looking at the lights. Here we saw Santas House had a very extended and very full rope queue. My nephew really dug the nutcracker dudes on stilts. We were all genuinely creeped out by the Poinsettia Princess wandering around - bad makeup job, Fright Fest holdout? LOL

As much as I would have preferred to ditch the fam and go off solo marathoning what my nephew calls the "big boy" rides, we took our resident toddler into Whimsical Wonderland aka Safari Kids and got him on a bunch of rides. Entire area overrun with parents, kids and strollers. Loads of them. He got his coaster ride in on Road Runner Railway, which again, had an extended rope queue and he then did the Air Safari which also had a healthy line and took forever to load. I noticed all of these kid rides had seriously decent lines with only one operator on each, so it got me wondering about the lines for Nitro and Batman and since we were so close I told my folks I wanted to go check out the line for Nitro while they waited for my sister and nephew.

It was backed up to the 60 minute sign and from what I could tell two trains were running. I gave it a shot. If it felt like the line wasn't moving I'd back out. But in usual Nitro fashion, it was eating people right up and spitting them out the exit so I waited a little over 20 minutes. A group next to ride noticed I was a solo rider and let me jump ahead of them so I had one less train to wait for. I got train B in my magic seat - last row, right side, at sunset, and it was glorious. When I ride with strangers I tend to stay quiet cause I'm a nerd but I was hooting and hollering like it was my last ride ever. The ride was hauling ass, butter smooth, I was getting great floater air throughout the ride and loving every second. (Sidenote: I'm not one to brag. Ok maybe I am LOL but anyway I don't get a ton of vacation time at my job, however I've hardly used any this year so in an effort to get rid of some of it I used Friday as a paid day and as we crested the lift my last thought before the drop was "I'm on the clock right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Great feeling.)

After I checked the line on Skull Mountain - I asked the greeter and she told me 30 minutes but I wandered inside to see how far back the line was and it was almost at the entrance to the cave. I turned right around. The greeter laughed as I chuckled "maybe next time!" I have to say Skull Mountain looked great! Love the lights on it. But I will have to get my coveted Poinsettia Peak credit another day. I met back up with the crew and waited for my nephew to finish his own little ride marathon. You have to pull him off some of them, he's begging to go again. My mom pointed out to me that very few of the rides back here have any sort of lighting package - which is not surprising since she lives in Wildwood and Morey's lighting packages are so in your face and elaborate, even the smallest of rides. But its a shame - Air Safari literally has one spotlight on the ride, not even lights on the queue.

It was now almost totally dark out so we took the long way around by Jolly Roger, Swashbuckler, etc just checking out the lights. Here my Dad pointed out how long the lines for food were. At both Panda and Grannys the lines were out the door. But not all of the tables were full. Good thing we were not hungry as it became apparent here on out the food service for this event is severely understaffed. No Totemay construction to see, but an empty Flash Pass HQs was staffed with 4-5 kids bored out of their minds. As we came back around to Main Street we caught a little bit of the tree-lighting show. The midway here was packed so we continued on into Peppermint Houdini Land, which looked fabulous, as did the Carousel and Yum Yum Cafe. All covered in lights and garland. Sad face to see nothing but darkness off beyond that in the direction of Toro. Walking from the fountain through here we all commented on how LOUD the music had been everywhere all night. The holiday music is great but at points two or even three very loud, totally different holiday songs were bleeding into one another. Just turn it down, Six Flags.

The Boardwalk area felt like a weird dead zone to me. All of the midway lighting was on but half of the games were fenced off which was weird, and a lot of the food places back along there toward Golden Kingdom were closed. It made sense when they announced the event and listed Superman and Green Lantern as open coasters since the Boardwalk has so many opportunities for the park to make $$$ between the food and games but I don't know it just felt like this weird dead end. More ridiculous lines for the food places that were open back here - Nathans, etc. I didn't even check the lines for the coasters back here. The "tree" they made out of the Parachutes tower was cool, albeit simple.

Back out toward Main Street where we caught some more of the tree-lighting show, and popped in a few of the stores where I managed to snatch up some of the great ornaments they have - one for Nitro, another for Toro, and an old school Great Adv logo. So cool that they have these. High quality and very nice. Lots of other fun/funny merch we checked out like ugly Xmas sweaters w/ Superman on them, etc. I should have gotten pictures, some were good.

As about 6pm, we were all kind of pooped. Tough to do more than a few hours with the kid and folks in tow, definitely not a day of non-stop riding. But I'm so happy we got over to check out HITP, its an event the park will excel at if it adds to and improves it in future years. And I hope that they realize, like has already been discussed here, this event should be focused on the food and the kiddie rides. It's great that they have some of the big coasters running, and I hope they continue that but they need more food servers and more staffing on the kiddie rides. I would liked to have tried some special event food (waffles, funnel cake, cocoa, etc) but I wasn't waiting in those lines. I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to do Holiday In the Park, barring that it doesn't snow every weekend from now until January, but I think its more of success that they anticipated (so far). I bought my 2016 season passes today (cyber Monday, yo) and was informed my purchase included HITP 2016. Looking forward to getting back this year and seeing what they do next.

Ride count:

Nitro 1x

(LOL)

I had no camera on Friday so my Mom and sister took a bunch and told me I could share them here. I take no credit. Enjoy.

01.JPG.4743798725b7753b9868a18253771434.JPG

"Dad, it's nothing like it was in 1991"

02.JPG.87a41cf7dacaf4edfe5a310033b5f1a9.JPG

Coaster time!

03.JPG.ba8d17a848f2bbebf79b605102f9ee37.JPG

04.JPG.28871911961d08b38f9e40543ba2259a.JPG

Air Safari's incredible lighting package

05.JPG.23de3b446087c47da10756c0bb29f8ef.JPG

Me after my sunset ride on Nitro. Skully's back there saying hello.

06.JPG.d683b6d3cd7e782546c1e9fd03fc70f7.JPG

07.JPG.93d65d5dd25afdb8a2392fd2a2b23aad.JPG

Sis taking close ups of the neph

08.JPG.5031f98a419d141b84eac33a752de4a9.JPG

Sky Screamer had a nice healthy line

09.JPG.d829d1adcc8824d82560acfca941c979.JPG

10.JPG.d81d526e9532763272a946a996235ab3.JPG

11.jpg.20c85f187a6a5c9aa2665c2290c9157c.jpg

Crowded.

12.jpg.d09fde11eac4ce39f3f4db0d61331c86.jpg

Houdini's gone peppermint!

13.jpg.694c25c0b40598a2b1e81a3c06962ae6.jpg

Gingerbread Junction

14.jpg.342e0bd43880ce924eae8cc464ceba3d.jpg

Really looked great.

15.jpg.207c734b4fb6fe27cea034c161a38ac7.jpg

Boardwalk dead zone. Ka and Zumi wave hello in the distance.

16.jpg.8028768ee3202235b679b22aa9563512.jpg

Throw some trees on it

17.jpg.5d09b9c4d3732e0771515b50caa9d6a2.jpg

Overall its a very fun and promising event.

18.jpg.57403bd906e7d49c3890b6334c0cd6fa.jpg

Ornaments I snagged. Very nice.

19.JPG.eace661cf23b7ae3cb9f47ff5fe46ceb.JPG

Stats on the back. (Apologies for the hideous yellow desk, I won't let it happen again.)

@Boldikus- thanks for the post on your trip to Holiday at the Park! Seems like you need to get out there solo/with a friend when the park opens, and hit those coasters up when there are no crowds that early in the day! I'd be curious to hear your take on the likes of Green Lantern and Superman.....at my age, I found them to much more enjoyable with the cold weather vs. the dead of summer....as the spinning + heat= yuck!!!

Also- as you pointed out...I too found the fence on the boardwalk area weird! If the plan was not to open up that area (games and food) due to expense of staff, operating cost, etc. so be it! That said- not sure what the fence is doing/preventing, IMO.

BTW- did you see the bar/beer selection near Dark Knight? I didn't have the time on Sunday to grab a cocktail, but will look to do so next trip this month.....when the kids are sipping on their hot chocolate!

Happy Holidays!

^ My sisters husband, who I go riding with a lot was out of town which is why he didn't join us, so I hope to pop up with him one day before the end of the month for some (hopefully) heavy riding. And yes, we'll get there well before it gets dark, ideally at opening, to take advantage of shorter lines. I'm not in a rush to ride GL but I love Superman and I'll ride it if there is a small line (or I have a flash pass lol), not sure how the temps will affect the ride for me. I didn't mention that we walked down the Old Country path to the theater with the stained glass, which looked really nice. We only stuck our heads into Movie Town so I missed out on the bar by Dark Knight.

^ My sisters husband, who I go riding with a lot was out of town which is why he didn't join us, so I hope to pop up with him one day before the end of the month for some (hopefully) heavy riding. And yes, we'll get there well before it gets dark, ideally at opening, to take advantage of shorter lines. I'm not in a rush to ride GL but I love Superman and I'll ride it if there is a small line (or I have a flash pass lol), not sure how the temps will affect the ride for me. I didn't mention that we walked down the Old Country path to the theater with the stained glass, which looked really nice. We only stuck our heads into Movie Town so I missed out on the bar by Dark Knight.

I'm NEVER in a rush to go onto Green Lantern either! That said- I figured with no crowd, "what the heck!" Someone mentioned keeping your head forward, helps to avoid the head banging.....and honestly, debated that approach (as I figured I'd hurt my neck somehow!)- but did it anyway with little resistance/force to my head getting slammed back. I think doing that, and the colder weather....made for a decent ride for me! The drop/first loop is plenty for me....the rest of the ride isn't exciting.

Having said that- I'm in no rush to get back on it anytime soon! Just curious of your take on it this time of year.

I think the fact that we were in the park from open to close with only 4 major outdoor coasters running and we still didn't ride Green Lantern or even acknowledge it's existence is all you need to know about how much I hate that ride.

They need to send that piece of crap to another park (Six Flags St. Louis?) and give it the Rougarou treatment.

I think the fact that we were in the park from open to close with only 4 major outdoor coasters running and we still didn't ride Green Lantern or even acknowledge it's existence is all you need to know about how much I hate that ride.

They need to send that piece of crap to another park (Six Flags St. Louis?) and give it the Rougarou treatment.

Ha! SFStL will take anything.

I'm always astounded by the amount of hate towards Green Lantern. It's a solid ride with a very unique layout. Sure, it may have some jolts here and there, but remember the ride is pretty old and has been maintained by Six Flags this whole time (that should give you an idea of maintenance budget). I enjoy it just like I enjoy Riddler's and Mantis (RIP). Sure, giving it new, sit down trains would improve the ride, I'm not debating that. I just don't get how much hate there is towards it.

Green Lantern is probably my least favorite B&M coaster anywhere. I absolutely hate that ride. I'll say this though... body type and height matter more on standup coasters than on any other coaster type. That alone probably explains the differing reviews (basically it separates the people that wish it would burn in coaster hell from the people who only mildly dislike it ).

Looks like I'll be heading back for another Holiday in the Park go-around sometime this month; my wife wants to take more photos, plus we picked up a couple of Gold Dining Passes on Cyber Monday and need to get those redeemed. Hopefully I'll be able to get a night ride on Nitro this time around

So we're putting up our tree tonight but it took us forever to find the lights since for some reason they were packed away with the Halloween decorations (I'm actually not making that part up). At first I was confused but thanks to Great Adventure we've been inspired to create the greatest Christmas Decoration ever by combining everything.

Thoughts...

image.thumb.jpg.a048ab373a93b262ac09e8f6709c1597.jpg

Ps: we're not actually putting this up. I've been outvoted.

Also yes, we have been drinking. Thanks for noticing.

Ha! SFStL will take anything.

LOL! Well think about it, which is worse? A floorless conversion of a B&M Stand up or a standard Boomerang?

From my experience of Rougarou this summer compared to Mantis was a definite improvement changing a unbearably rough coaster to a tolerable coaster that still knocked my head a few times (vs. neverending head banging from Mantis) and was forceful in turns and not as much in drops as I prefer. I place it in the "next time I go there I will ride it maybe once if the line is short enough" compared to as many times as I possibly can in the case of Maverick, Magnum XL-200, Millennium Force, and Gemini. If it were in one of there other parks (WOF) I would ride it alot but in my eyes at Cedar Point it doesn't really stand out.

A floorless conversion of Green Lantern would be a big deal for SFSTL because it would be the biggest coaster added since the Boss (added in 2000), it would be the first noteworthy steel coaster since Mr. Freeze (1998) due to the number of inversions ties that of the Batman, it would be the tallest completed track steel coaster (slightly taller than the Boss making it the tallest competed track coaster for the park), and the new experience of having a floorless coaster. That said, I would much rather have a different coaster, but really at our park it would be a big deal.

In my opinion, Green Lantern/Chang was a move that to me did not make sense considering that the park already has Bizzaro. I find after being in parks that have too many similar coasters that it fails to offer variety. After being at SFMM, I frankly wanted to take the floorless train from Scream! put it on Riddler's Revenge and put Scream! up for sale as it did nothing for me. I find much more variety in the experience of having Viper, Revolution, and a floorless Riddler's Revenge at SFMM, Maverick, Rougarou, and Corkscrew at Cedar Point, Loch Ness Monster and Griffon at BGW, Anaconda and Dominator at Kings Dominion than Green Lantern and Bizzaro at SFGAdv, Riddler's Revenge and Scream! at SFMM, Fahrenheit and Storm Runner at Hershey, and Shockwave and Demon at SFGAm (I know Shockwave is gone but I think you know what I am saying). Don't get me wrong many of these (especially Fahrenheit and Storm Runner) are great coasters, I just like having a variety of makers and completely different segments as the experience seems to complete.

If something had to be done about GASM, I think maybe a Chance Morgan conversion (ala Phantom's Revenge) may have been worth considering (even if they had to wait a few years to get the money for it as I know they were broke back then).

Edited by Arrow Dynamics fan

Green Lantern would be a great coaster of it was a floorless. Mantis was unrideable crap and Rougarou is really forceful and snappy but very smooth. It's probably my favorite floorless coaster now (slightly edging out Kraken and Dominator).

My favorite is Superman Krypton Coaster (unless Dive Coasters are allowed then it would be Griffon). I liked Dominator a bit better because it didn't knock my head any. It is possible the very back seat is the wrong one to sit in for Rougarou. That said, I will take Rougarou over Scream! any day of the week as it is completely forceless yet a bit rough at the same time.