TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

oh who am I kidding I absolutely cannot wait to ride Poinsettia Peak on Friday afternoon!

Fixed

Speaking of which, is anyone else as surprised as me that no one has yet asked if Poinsettia Peak is considered a new credit?

I don't know. Maybe if they changed the death metal to something like Chestnuts Roasting on a Open Fire. Then they could have added fire effects to the inside. Boom! New credit.

If you don't mind me asking, does T Express also encounter the same issues Toro does with people not fitting in the ride? I thought that might be more of an American issue. Lol

Completely honestly, In just under 6 years of semi-frequent visits to the park, I have yet to see a single person be declined.

^ I'm not trying to come down on you, but don't you feel like that was a tad unsafe? I feel if you have to put that much effort into locking a restraint, a real risk is in place.

Having worked on a few coasters, no I wasn't worried. All the coasters I've worked on, the "green light" so to speak (When the restraint is considered "down") isn't the first locking position, it's usually the 3rd or 4th. Leaving a margin of error in case the restraint pops up one tick. With Toro it's a hydraulically locking restraint, I trust those a great deal, as the only way they've moved on me is if they've gone down (never up) during the ride. If the operations panel says all the restraints are down, the restraint isn't "barely" down, it's down enough to be secure.

I know it's a little bit late at this point, but here's my trip report from opening day;

---

Overall, had a really awesome family-friendly time at the park on Saturday with the wife, the 4-year-old, and our 8-month-old baby. Since we were there primarily for the activities, the rides ended up being more of an afterthought, but it was still an amazing experience. All the LED lights lining every square inch of the park really made it a sight to behold.

As I previously mentioned, we got to the park later in the day around 3 PM, and after getting settled, we ended up making our way to Santa's house for photos. The line wasn't even that long -- it didn't make it around a single corner in the rope line -- but it still took us about an hour to get up to the front. When we made it inside, we quickly discovered why... unlike other places where they just rush you in and rush you right back out, Santa was perfectly happy to spend some quality time with the kids and be very accommodating. The photos came out GREAT, too! Usually we've done the Macy's Santaland photos for our Christmas cards in the past, but this one came out so good we're thinking of just using that. Unfortunately, we picked up one of the packages that included digital prints, only to find that the code printed on the card was never activated. We're still in the process of trying to claim these prints and hopefully it'll all work out.

After the photo experience, we walked through Old Country -- I mean, "Joy to the World" -- to make our way to the Showcase Theater for the Jack Frost stage show. First time I'd been in this theater in years, and the warmth inside was much appreciated since it was already getting dark and cold. The show itself lasted for a half-hour, maybe a little bit longer, and had a character playing Jack Frost doing his best Jim Carrey impression and throwing in some topical jokes (poking fun at Donald Trump and Teresa Giuduce, among others). We also had an elf named Adam who did juggling and stacking tricks, the "misfit toys" who had some really talented trained dogs with them, and a strongman balancer who stacked chairs nearly to the ceiling of the theater. All in all, not a bad way to kill some time!

At this point it was already about 5:30 and we hadn't been on ANY rides as of yet. So the 4-year-old and I hit up some of our favorite flats; first we did the Buccaneer and got top row, then we did the Swashbuckler -- which, when it's about 40 degrees outside, is a real slap in the face with that cold air. Yow. After Swashbuckler, we headed in the direction of Skull Mountain... I mean, "Poinsettia Peak"... and checked to see if he finally hit that 44" mark. SUCCESS! He measured up (must be those winter boots!) and we hopped in line. Yes, outside of those lights strung across the outside, and a Poinsettia Peak sign that barely obscures the old Skull Mountain sign, they didn't change a DAMN thing with the ride. And since it was one of the few coasters open for the event, it was also more crowded than I had ever seen it, with people actually spilling back out of the station into the cave. When we finally made our way through the turnstile and saw how packed that station was, we ended up turning the corner and heading towards the front of the ride instead of the exalted back, and ended up with only two groups in front of us for the second row. But of course, just as we get in line, they ended up taking one train out of service and running it empty every circuit. No biggie -- it still only ended up being about a 10-15 minute wait due to this. For his first ride on it, the kiddo LOVED it! He kept screaming "SKULL MOUNTAIN!!! YEAHHHHH!!!" the entire time going through the ride. I gotta say, it definitely makes the ride more enjoyable when you get to share it with someone that's having a blast. Merry Christmas, creepy jack-o-lantern. Merry Christmas, alien and strobe lights. Merry Christmas, death metal soundtrack. Merry Christmas, obnoxious Takis advertising. Merry Christmas to all.

After Skull Mountain success, the kiddo and I met up with the ladies and we walked around for a bit, seeing more of the sights, including the animatronic reindeer at the North Pole Village (creepy but cute), and then made our way back to the main square just in time to catch one of the light shows with the big tree. And wow -- what they've done with this thing is AMAZING. Using all the LED lights to tell a story synced up with the music is pretty cool for a Six Flags park, and you know, I haven't been able to get that stupid song out of my head since Saturday. AAAAGH. Really, though, very impressive and definitely worth catching if you happen to find yourself in the main square on the half-hour.

About this time, we were starting to get pretty hungry, but the lines at just about all of the food stands were ridiculous. So we made a decision to hit a few more rides and then bounce and grab dinner outside the park (we don't have a dining pass, either, so that decision is a little easier to make). The kiddo and I went on one of his favorites, the tea cups (which has been loosely themed to the "Gingerbread Twist" by the simple addition of a few gingerbread man figures around the outside). I don't know how many more rides I have left on tea cups before they start making me hurl, because after the ride was over, I needed to take a minute to gather my bearings while the kiddo just wanted to go again. No thanks. At this point, I talked my wife into taking him on Houdini's Great Escape while I relaxed for a bit inside the Yum Yum Cafe with the napping baby. She agreed and got in line with him.

Now, keep in mind, my wife really isn't a huge thrill ride fanatic. It's been a constant struggle to get her on even the most basic coasters; I think to date, her entire coaster count is at 4, including the Tickler at Coney Island, the Flying Turns at Knoebels, the Crazy Mouse at Steel Pier, and Blackbeard here at Great Adventure. So I had to reassure her that no, Houdini is NOT a coaster, no, you don't go upside down on it, you'll be fine. "OK, no problem." ** EDIT: I have since been reminded by her that no, she's gone on FIVE, and I forgot Laff Trakk at Hersheypark. My apologies, hon! You're going on Nitro next, right?

I get a text message from her as she's on her way out, so I meet up with the two of them in the gift shop near the front. The first thing she says is "Chris, I'm going to kill you." Once she realized that the entire room was spinning around her, she ended up closing her eyes for a large portion of the ride. Of course, the kiddo loved it, but I doubt she'll be re-riding it any time soon (even though it's more tame than a pirate ship).

We wrapped up the day with purchasing a couple of the souvenir Six Flags ornaments to add to our tree (the classic Great Adventure 80's logo and the Holiday In The Park commemorative one), and headed back to the car around 8:00. Not bad for 5 hours of park time! No adult coasters this time around, but you know, I'm okay with that. As far as a family outing goes, we had a lot of fun together between the Santa photos, the stage show, and all the lights everywhere.

I took a few photos with my phone, attached below:

IMG_0837.thumb.JPG.a7f644dd53df85b0930a569461f00014.JPG

Curtain call at "Jack Frost's Magical Christmas".

IMG_0842.thumb.JPG.9891e906573f1cb49c946c33a1a492fa.JPG

Looks much more impressive at night.

IMG_0844.thumb.JPG.d080f398bbf7825ff1005e703f47b0ee.JPG

Red, radioactive glows throughout!

IMG_0856.thumb.JPG.d2c7dde740dc99c340497d5447f2a29d.JPG

The Christmas tree, just before the lights and music start.

IMG_0867.thumb.JPG.ebe95f5d91b0d46b8ae281f05c2a6155.JPG

LEDs in action, #1.

IMG_0875.thumb.JPG.46f13a518b6820dceb4870a843bafb48.JPG

LEDs in action, #2.

IMG_0877.thumb.JPG.ba7699d80b631c93dcc568c83cd28b75.JPG

LEDs in action, #3.

IMG_0885.thumb.JPG.d55a14310407069e4c9d933b8216a400.JPG

Rainbow carousel!

IMG_0886-1.thumb.JPG.8e260f1187913f607253c57d04306eb1.JPG

The selection of official ornaments for this year; HITP, 80's logo, Kingda Ka, Nitro, and El Toro!

IMG_0888.thumb.JPG.c7a260120371226010e40d2e4eb7c356.JPG

Projecting the logo on the ground as we left the park.

Edited by coneyislandchris

we headed in the direction of Skull Mountain... I mean, "Poinsettia Peak"... and checked to see if he finally hit that 44" mark. SUCCESS! He measured up (must be those winter boots!) and we hopped in line. Yes, outside of those lights strung across the outside, and a Poinsettia Peak sign that barely obscures the old Skull Mountain sign, they didn't change a DAMN thing with the ride. And since it was one of the few coasters open for the event, it was also more crowded than I had ever seen it, with people actually spilling back out of the station into the cave. When we finally made our way through the turnstile and saw how packed that station was, we ended up turning the corner and heading towards the front of the ride instead of the exalted back, and ended up with only two groups in front of us for the second row. But of course, just as we get in line, they ended up taking one train out of service and running it empty every circuit. No biggie -- it still only ended up being about a 10-15 minute wait due to this. For his first ride on it, the kiddo LOVED it! He kept screaming "SKULL MOUNTAIN!!! YEAHHHHH!!!" the entire time going through the ride. I gotta say, it definitely makes the ride more enjoyable when you get to share it with someone that's having a blast. Merry Christmas, creepy jack-o-lantern. Merry Christmas, alien and strobe lights. Merry Christmas, death metal soundtrack. Merry Christmas, obnoxious Takis advertising. Merry Christmas to all.

I love this paragraph so much, literally LOLing in my office. Great report, I am really enjoying reading everyones reports of HITP. And awesome photos, especially the ones taken by your wife. Some amazing shots.

I can't wait til Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, hold off until you get to the park. The longest line last Saturday was less than 20 minutes, and most of the time coasters were walk-ons / station waits. Unless you really want to maximize your ride time and squeeze out maybe one or two more rides than you normally would, I've a sneaking suspicion that you won't need Flash Pass.

I shall be going down to GADV Sunday, I am actually really excited! Being able to ride Nitro after my birthday will be a treat and delay my winter hibernation! Have they released official temps when the likes of Nitro and Batman will close down? I would like to go New Year's Day or something just to say I rode a coaster in January! But if the big boys are closed it will reduce the temptation.

I shall be going down to GADV Sunday, I am actually really excited! Being able to ride Nitro after my birthday will be a treat and delay my winter hibernation! Have they released official temps when the likes of Nitro and Batman will close down? I would like to go New Year's Day or something just to say I rode a coaster in January! But if the big boys are closed it will reduce the temptation.

According to the Nitro greeter I asked the other day it hasn't even been discussed and unless there's snow and ice on the tracks or very high winds the "keep calm and dispatch on" policy should be in full effect. They don't care... I love them.

Also you should be excited, it's a great event.

thank god the ferris wheel was kept dark. the lights on it are horrendous looking

Went yesterday, park wasnt that crowded.

all the lights were cool, alot of babies, kids, lines were all walk on. Nitro, Batman, Lantern and Superman all wall on, all multiple rides in a row. Superman at end of the night nobody was on it, rode back row three times and could have stayed on for 5 more times if we wanted.

Lights were cool but they didnt light up the Ferris Wheel, thats a mistake. We all thought it would have been really cool if they lit it up even if it wasnt running.

Only negative was getting food, lines were crazy long, everyone wanted to use dining pass.

We to to J Rockets and I'm telling you it was the worst serve I've ever seen in a park. We ordered, stood in line for 25 minutes without moving an inch while burgers/meals were piling up, everyone was just like WTF? They were having trouble with one lady and my aunt being my aunt started to flip. SHe's yelling at the manager to get moving, food is getting cold, WTF is going on, it was a mess.

We waited 35 minutes, its not like line was all the way out the door, we were inside the place and its not big and it still took that long. Of course our food was cold, cold poo-poo fries, cold burger. Wasnt even worth complaining, I regret even going there for food.

Wish they kept the backwards batman cars cause the harnesses were bigger, with all my coats etc on I barely fit on batman, the backwards cars had better harnessess.

Was cold but not that cold, was cold on the rides. Thought Nitro was running like poo-poo, very slow going over the humps at the end, never felt it that slow before. Was it the car or the cold weather slowing it down?

Def gonna go back atleast one more time. Already spent about 40 bucks on food since I got my 2016 dining pass so its already half paid for and its not even next year. So thats gonna end up being a good investment

Lines for food service were definitely long and slow when I went. I chalked it up to first-day jitters (new employees, understaffing due to wrong estimates, etc). Hopefully it gets better as the event goes on, because it was the only drawback to an otherwise awesome trip.

I'm looking forward to checking this out today. It's funny, after all of these years, I've never been to SFGAdv. I frequent a great many parks where I'm at and below (SF America, Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens, Hershey Park, SFOG, SFOT, Disney, etc, etc) This event has me intrigued so much that I'm going to take the 2h 45 min trip to check it out. Hopefully, the event pulls in big enough money where they give it a shot down here at SFA next year.

I wish more of the coasters were open, but I guess you can't have everything. I want to see first hand what's so bad about Green Lantern. It can't be any worse than Apocalypse down here.

Green Lantern is bad but nowhere near the level of suckage that is Apocalypse. It's bad but it has its moments. The first drop, loop and the pop off the midcourse are great fun.

And between Nitro, Batman, Skull Mountain, Sky Screamer and Superman we have some nice rides open. Weather is looking perfect for today, I'll be up around 3. Actually convinced my folks to join us and they haven't been there since the late 80's (which bums me out I can't take them to Frontier since its the most old school area of the park between RMT, Sawmill and BOTW). But I'm thrilled they're coming along and I'm itching to ride today. Hope lines are minimal, would like some Nitro re-rides. Woot!