TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Can you see anything in old country? (Like the buildings and remnants of rides?) or is it all fenced off?

It looks great

There are fences on each side of the path, but they're no more than six feet tall, so you can see everything above.

Here's a photo:

image.thumb.jpeg.384d3065418483c04507dcf13b5dab53.jpeg

You can see the Autobahn to the left in this picture.

WOW. Great job Six Flags! Park number of guests didn't look like a lot though. I hope this becomes a true success for the company. Very well done with great attention to detail. I HIGHLY recommend watching the tree lighting show which takes place every half-hour. I admit, it gave me chills. A great job done by a great company! Glad to be a part of the Six Flags family!

Edited by jburns309

A few thoughts on Holiday in the Park...

1) The crowd levels seemed pretty high, much higher than I expected since they did basically no advertising besides in-park and social media promotions. The ride lines never got too long but the midways were slammed with people looking at the lights, it almost felt like trying to walk around during Fright Fest.

2) The lights themselves were amazing, especially the area around the Carousel and the area around Sky Screamer. Those blue trees were breathtaking, the lights themselves are probably on-par with Dollywood's. I was really, really impressed. Combine that with the "snow machines" and fire pits and the atmosphere all around the park was awesome.

3) It seemed like all of the outdoor coasters were down 1 train with none in transfer so they seem to be in rehab. This was never an issue though. Understandable so no complaints here...

4) The Christmas tree is amazing and the show is insane. It's not so much a "tree lighting" show as a "holy crap look what our tree can do" show and it's really cool. I suggest getting one of those delicious waffles and then checking it out.

5) Before our last ride on Nitro we noticed it was in the 30's so we asked the greeter if he knew what temperatures would require them to close the coasters. He said that there was no temperature limit so as long as there was no snow / ice on the tracks or high winds it hadn't been discussed and they would probably run the coasters. I love this park

6) It's great to have Batman running forwards again. The ride was absolutely hauling despite the low temps.

Anyway, this event seems like it'll be a huge success. They did an awesome job and I hope they continue doing this every year. Great job Six Flags!!!

Is Skyscreamer running with those lights on it? Seems like it's stationary with the way it's all rigged up.

Also I'm curious how Nitro was running in the cold. I know Steel Force at least starts to slog quite a bit when the temps dip below 45ish. Is it still giving good B&M floater despite the cold?

Park number of guests today only 1500 though.

Based on your posts I guess you work at the park? I'm not questioning you but this number doesn't even seem close to being right. The midways were very crowded last night even during shows... So let's say there were 500 people in the theater at a time (seems close to being right, when we went they just about filled it), coaster trains were generally full even if it was re-rides so Nitro would have about 72 people on it at a time, Batman 32, Green Lantern 32, Superman 32, Skull Mountain 56 (2 trains) and Dark Knight was filling it's pre-show last night so let's say that's 30 people. So just if we count people on the coasters and I'm the theater at any given time that's above 750... So that would mean at any given time half the people in the park (assuming they were all there at the same time and nobody left) was sitting in coaster trains or in the theater. Maybe you take a few off because each coaster will have some empty seas for groups of 1/2/3 that's don't even out but not many. Plus Skull Mountain and Batman had full station waits for most of the day and at one point Nitro's line was back to the old hot dog cart so that's about a 20 minute wait or more.

Now how can that number explain crowded midways, long food lines everywhere, long lines for most of the flats, the people on the flats, the people in the stores, the long line to meet Santa. The Mrs. Clause show that was almost always just about filled... Again I'm not questioning you but that number doesn't add up. Not even close... I mean look at the pictures on the last page (and a report of an hour wait to see Santa around 4 which is the same time Nitro's line was at it's longest point).

Is Skyscreamer running with those lights on it? Seems like it's stationary with the way it's all rigged up.

Also I'm curious how Nitro was running in the cold. I know Steel Force at least starts to slog quite a bit when the temps dip below 45ish. Is it still giving good B&M floater despite the cold?

Nitro ran well... Earlier in the day it was a little sluggish but as it kept running it really sped up. The greeter said they plan to keep switching between warm weather and cold weather wheels as needed for the event too (maybe Ryan can shed some light on how that works). Last night the mid course was even kicking on which it doesn't do when the ride really crawls.

Park number of guests today only 1500 though.

Based on your posts I guess you work at the park? I'm not questioning you but this number doesn't even seem close to being right. The midways were very crowded last night even during shows... So let's say there were 500 people in the theater at a time (seems close to being right, when we went they just about filled it), coaster trains were generally full even if it was re-rides so Nitro would have about 72 people on it at a time, Batman 32, Green Lantern 32, Superman 32, Skull Mountain 56 (2 trains) and Dark Knight was filling it's pre-show last night so let's say that's 30 people. So just if we count people on the coasters and I'm the theater at any given time that's above 750... So that would mean at any given time half the people in the park (assuming they were all there at the same time and nobody left) was sitting in coaster trains or in the theater. Maybe you take a few off because each coaster will have some empty seas for groups of 1/2/3 that's don't even out but not many. Plus Skull Mountain and Batman had full station waits for most of the day and at one point Nitro's line was back to the old hot dog cart so that's about a 20 minute wait or more.

Now how can that number explain crowded midways, long food lines everywhere, long lines for most of the flats, the people on the flats, the people in the stores, the long line to meet Santa. The Mrs. Clause show that was almost always just about filled... Again I'm not questioning you but that number doesn't add up. Not even close... I mean look at the pictures on the last page (and a report of an hour wait to see Santa around 4 which is the same time Nitro's line was at it's longest point).

Nitro ran well... Earlier in the day it was a little sluggish but as it kept running it really sped up. The greeter said they plan to keep switching between warm weather and cold weather wheels as needed for the event too (maybe Ryan can shed some light on how that works). Last night the mid course was even kicking on which it doesn't do when the ride really crawls.

I agree. The number does seem a little low, but this is what I overheard from other guests

Edited by jburns309

Is your buddy the Dippin Dots guy?

Thanks for all the photos and reports guys. Looks like its a great event, won't make it there today so looks like Friday for me. Can't wait.

Is your buddy the Dippin Dots guy?

Thanks for all the photos and reports guys. Looks like its a great event, won't make it there today so looks like Friday for me. Can't wait.

lol I will also say that Flash pass and ride operators were overstaffed. Those were there yesterday would probably agree with me. I honestly think they were expecting a bigger crowd in my opinion. Should be more crowded today with the Santa Run.

Edited by jburns309

Holiday in the Park is going to bring out a different crowd than other events. There were a lot of strollers and long lines for all of the family rides, the food and the holiday shows and events. Skull Mountain and Dark Knight were pretty much killing it and always had a steady stream of people moving in. The same thing happens at Dollywood, generally the coaster lines aren't that long even though the park is packed (except Firechaser Express) because it's not the major draw. The coasters are still popular but they're not the draw... generally stations were full all day yesterday but I don't know how many Flash Passes they're going to sell until they copy Dollywood's formula and realize they can give people priority show seating and use it for the Santa Meet and Greet.

Flash Pass was over staffed but that's really about it, they have a slightly different type of crowd. The good news is they got a lot of families and families spend money. There were huge lines for foods, everyone was buying those Holiday in the Park drink cups, everyone was buying the smores and the Christmas ornaments were flying off the shelves.

They have El Toro ornaments now BTW... just throwing that out there. Everybody go get one.

image.thumb.jpg.c7f37bce5d5622819d5cfaeee716e80c.jpg

I know what's going to keep me personally away from an event like this is the main draw, El Toro, runs progressively slower as the temperature drops. Riding the bull when it's running more like a vaguely irritated cow leaves a funny taste in my mouth. If it's the pretty lights I want, there's many local attractions that are closer, cheaper, and offer the same thing.

^ You are aware that Toro, and that entire side of the park (Golden Kingdom, PDC, Frontier, and BBNP) is closed for this event, right? The Bull is hibernating for the winter.

Also, and this isn't necessarily directed at you - but so many people have posted online why they are not going to go to this event from Toro and Ka being down to the Safari being closed, to the many other holiday events in the area, etc. I am surprised more people aren't just content with the fact that for the first time ever we have an open park with coasters running until January. I'm so happy they are doing this, based on reports here and elsewhere it looks fantastic, I guess people will always find something to complain about.

Edited by boldikus

^^I'd suggest giving it a chance, it's the best Christmas light display I've seen possibly anywhere. The only coasters open are Nitro, Batman, Green Lantern, Superman, Skull Mountain and Dark Knight. Nitro was running fine as it warmed up (the trims didn't kick on except on the mid course so the speed is fine), it delivered plenty of floater air, the other coasters all seemed to be running at a decent pace (though we didn't ride Green Lantern because f**k Green Lantern) and Batman was completely hauling... I mean hauling. To each his own but I'm still on a Holiday in the Park high. I never expected this incredible level of quality from Six Flags. The "Polar Point" area looks insane and the Christmas tree... holy hell.

Edited by coasterbill

I realized Toro probably wasn't running just as I was clicking "post", but in any case that only solidifies my position more. I am glad they're doing a good job with it (though I'll be curious to see if that level of quality keeps on year after year), and if I lived 30 minutes away I'd probably consider going. I guess that's probably what they're hoping for anyway, I doubt anyone thinks this is going to draw people from 2+ hours away. I'll be curious to hear how this works out for them.

I wonder if Toro could even run at all this time of year without risking valleying.

Maybe it's just the sensation of night time, combined with the rush of cold air, but coasters 'feel' like they're running smoother and faster in the cold to me. We went to our first cold weather event earlier in the year at KI and Diamonback, Beast, and Banshee felt like they were hauling. Maybe some parks/rides have a better cold weather setup than others or maybe it just does 'feel' faster? Can anyone comment on this?

^^ I marathoned Toro at Coasters After Dark in April when it was just under 40 degrees and they were making everyone sit in the front of the train because it was seriously about to valley right before the brake run. Also was there in October of last year early on a freezing cold Sunday morning temps in the 30s and they were running Toro but it was unbelievably sluggish. The drop, first two hills and RT hill are all still insane even when its running that painfully slow. Its the twister section and the last few bunnyhops where its so noticeable.