TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Well judging by the fact that they've never held this event before we have absolutely no idea. I wouldn't be surprised if the coasters were walks ons, I wouldn't be surprised if they had 45 minute waits. It's impossible to even begin to answer that question.
Technically they did have a holiday event about 10 years ago-but rides weren't included.The closest thing to a ride was driving past light displays in the parking lot and the safari area.....I think this was called "Holiday Lights" ....

I keep mentioning HITP to my GP friends and absolutely no one has any idea they are doing this. Most people I've mentioned it to are like "What!?!? GA is open in the winter!?!"

I haven't seen a single TV advertisement for it, though I could see them start running them this weekend once the event starts. The fact that many people are in the dark about it gives me great hope that lines for coasters will be minimal, but there is really no way to know what crowds will be like until the park is operating this weekend since they've never done this before.

Yeah I feel like they're having the Tempesto marketing team help them out with this. I can't believe they haven't advertised it at all to anyone except their current customer base with social media and in-park marketing. Who knows though... Maybe that'll work out for them.

With clear weather in the 50's this upcoming weekend.....I would expect a good crowd! Although there hasn't been any "traditional" media for this weekend, don't underestimate social media, emails, and in-park advertising that has been setup for months.

Thinking about running the 5k race on Sunday.....

Yeah I feel like they're having the Tempesto marketing team help them out with this. I can't believe they haven't advertised it at all to anyone except their current customer base with social media and in-park marketing. Who knows though... Maybe that'll work out for them.

they have been running radio ads on thunder106.3. been hearing them daily. same station they ran ff ads constantly

Harry from GAH posted a ton of pics on his website, which you can find here:

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/GATrips_Winter_2015_11_18.htm

The park looks beautiful!!! I really wish they take note and get decide to add permanent lighting around the park. What they did with the buildings on Main St is a great example of how simple lighting really adds to the atmosphere and appeal to the park's aesthetics. Can't wait for next week!

Oh...and low and behold...the great legend of Skull Mountain!!#

639113509_2015_11_18_IMG_3595copy.thumb.jpg.efbbd87f69867145e0f3eb202485fa1a.jpg

I'm still not expecting the event to be a money maker for the park, meaning I expect mostly season pass holders to attend. If that if the case I don't see it lasting more than one year. I'll probably stop by the park one weekend, just not sure which weekend.

I'm still not expecting the event to be a money maker for the park, meaning I expect mostly season pass holders to attend. If that if the case I don't see it lasting more than one year. I'll probably stop by the park one weekend, just not sure which weekend.

I give the SF management team more credit in projecting their cost for this event compared to their projected revenue to profit! We obviously don't have access to their operating numbers, however- I see this as a moneymaker. "When I was a kid", I don't recall the park operating in October- can you imagine that in this day and age! They, along with a ton of companies, have figured out how to profit on Halloween, and I believe that they will figure out how to do the same for Christmas.....and years from now, we'll be scratching our head's saying, "why didn't they start this years ago?"

Expense:

- Staffing: their #1 expense, and easy for them to figure out how much they have to spend, based on what rides and concessions they plan on opening

- Operating/Facility Costs: their #2 expense (i.e.- electricity, etc); like staffing- very predictable in terms of operating cost

- Holiday setup: purchasing of lights/installation would be a nominal expense, as they are reusable for year's to come

Profit:

- "I expect mostly season pass holders to attend. If that if the case I don't see it lasting more than one year.".....I disagree with half of your statement!

- I agree that the majority of visitors will be pass holders (60%)

- It is hard for us to tell if this event influenced additional season pass sales vs.last year; if it did- more revenue for SFGA!

- where I disagree with you is your assumption that season pass holders don't spend $$$ when they are at the park! SFGA has enough data to conclude what the average spend is for their pass holders for each visit.....hence why their business model is to get as many people as they can to get season passes! Keep bringing them back, to get $$$$$ from each visit

Bottom line: if the weather holds up (i.e.- no early winter storms, average temp around 45- 50 degrees), they will do just fine! I don't think SF would take a major expense risk during the winter in NJ!

Personally- I'm glad they are doing it.....as it should be a nice place to walk around, get food/treats, and put us in the Holiday spirit! The fact that they have rides open is a major plus in my book!

^I would love for you to be right, and would be curious to know if there was a bump in season pass sales year over year. While we will never know for sure, I don't think a possibly bump would be a result of the Holiday Event. However, I do think expect many Season Pass holders to attend solely because it is something cheap to do.

I do think that the park's lower pricing model on the Dining Pass greatly increased the number of people buying the Dining Pass for the upcoming year. I never bought the Dining Pass in the past but did buy it for the 2016 season and already got in 9 meals between September - October.

I still stand by my statement that Season Pass holders don't spend as much money per capita at the park, especially when many have parking passes, free drink refills and possibly a dining pass. Also, season pass holders tend to spend less time at the park during each visit. meaning less total meals bought. Even though the weather is milder now than a typical November, drink sales will be less due to less dehydration.

The one huge area where SFGAdv got lucky is that the mild weather will draw more people than they probably put in their original projections.

^I would love for you to be right, and would be curious to know if there was a bump in season pass sales year over year. While we will never know for sure, I don't think a possibly bump would be a result of the Holiday Event. However, I do think expect many Season Pass holders to attend solely because it is something cheap to do.

I do think that the park's lower pricing model on the Dining Pass greatly increased the number of people buying the Dining Pass for the upcoming year. I never bought the Dining Pass in the past but did buy it for the 2016 season and already got in 9 meals between September - October.

I still stand by my statement that Season Pass holders don't spend as much money per capita at the park, especially when many have parking passes, free drink refills and possibly a dining pass. Also, season pass holders tend to spend less time at the park during each visit. meaning less total meals bought. Even though the weather is milder now than a typical November, drink sales will be less due to less dehydration.

The one huge area where SFGAdv got lucky is that the mild weather will draw more people than they probably put in their original projections.

All good comments! I hear you loud and clear about season passes, dining plans, etc.....but let's assume they wouldn't do it unless SF management felt that it ultimately it drives profit! Again- internally if you have the data, it is "easy" to figure this all out. And yes- the bottom line is you need the people to show up! Hopefully they do!

If anybody plans on going to Holiday in the Park this weekend could you please report back with crowds/dispatch times/lines?

A friend and myself are going next weekend and we want to know if we should expect lines.

My sense is there will be plenty of updates/posts! Personally- I can't make it due to prior commitments tonight and tomorrow......but would expect to be there sooner than later!

I'm here now. Crowds are very low although they just opened. Skull Mountain is running 2 trains. Nothing was done to the interior of the ride itself. Nitro is currently testing. It looked like Green Lantern has 1 train running. Batman is running forwards.

Edit, Nitro opened at around 1:35, 2 trains running with no wait.

We tried to ride it earlier but it was down. Looks like 1 train ops on all outdoor coasters except Nitro which has two... Got to rehab those trains I guess, no complaints here.

So far were having a great day. I can't wait to see this park at night. The crowds are low but the cars keep coming in, the place is far from dead. It's strange, this is one of the only times I'm hoping for crowds. This event is awesome and they need to keep doing it. It's so surreal waiting for Superman and listening to music from the Grinch. Lol

Here right now with the family -- clearly not going to be a big ride day for is. Got here around 3, just got in line to see Santa at 3:30, and now at 4:15 we are ALMOST at the front of the line.

Also, can confirm, Jersey Boys Christmas music is definitely a thing here.

Crowds are picking up... Nitro has about a 20 minute wait even with multiple trains and the midways are pretty crowded. There are a lot of families... It's a fun atmosphere. It's not packed but the crowds are pretty solid. I'm impressed.

Oh and yes, the death metal and skeletons are in full force inside "Pointsetta Peak". Lol

Here now. Just starting to get dark, so the full effect is starting to become visible.

Gotta say I'm pretty blown away. There are many details placed throughout the park that I love seeing. Nutcrackers on stilts, fire pits for roasting marshmallows, etc.

I haven't heard jersey boys Christmas yet though. Music is great - all the Christmas classics and some original music around the beautiful tree on Main Street. I'm sure the music is what they've used at other HitP events, but I still think it's well done

More to come later!

image.thumb.jpeg.2489ffbf142e0f709a6367caaeccdb8f.jpeg