TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Woohoo! Batman backwards was a great experience but I'm really happy we can ride it forwards again soon. I love front seat rides on Batman.

I've ridden it in the front, but it doesn't just have the same whip that riding in the back does.

Love that whip!

I guess Zumanjaro being closed was a last minute change. I was at the ride Sunday night and heard the ride ops talking about who was working at the ride this upcoming weekend.

I'm happy to see Batman closed if they are returning it to run forwards for Holiday in the Park, I haven't ridden the coaster since June before they starting running it backwards.

I'll be heading there Sunday to process my pass which of course waited to do last minute! As long as El Toro is open, I'M GOOD!

Did you get the pass during the special they were having cause you had to get it processed by Nov 1st to get the Gold Upgrade.

Should just leave Batman backwards. I also liked the new trains, the harnesses were bigger. My cousin hasnt been able to ride Batman in like 10 years, he's too tall and big for it but with backward new harnesses he was able to get on it.

Some more finalized info for this weekend's "extended days".... From Great Adventure Connoisseurs FB Group

Bizarro, Safari, and Skull Mountain will be closed (as I'm pretty sure most people already knew), but Zumanjaro will also be closed, as well as Batman (...FINALLY being changed to forwards again? It's time)

I'll be heading to the park Sunday and this will most likely be my last rides in for 2015 before I head to Australia in February and *hopefully* hit up Dreamworld and Movie World!

Also, 2015 Dining Passes will not be valid but 2016 Dining Passes will be. Weird.

They let 2016 passes be used as an incentive to buy the dining pass for next year. I bought my pass and dining pass already so glad I can use it for the few times I go.

My dining pass will have paid for itself before the season is up and I got all next year to use it. Such a great investment for 100 bucks. Plus you get the drink cup and unlimited refills all year.

I'll be heading there Sunday to process my pass which of course waited to do last minute! As long as El Toro is open, I'M GOOD!

Did you get the pass during the special they were having cause you had to get it processed by Nov 1st to get the Gold Upgrade.

I got an email saying it was extended to Nov 8th, so I think I'm good.

Whomever said Batman wasn't running this weekend must have had some misinformation.

image.thumb.jpg.a98b589f5ce7e75d82849c0add5b4c4d.jpg

This is the current operating list...

image.thumb.jpg.a98b589f5ce7e75d82849c0add5b4c4d.jpg

This is the current operating list...

image.thumb.jpg.cf01cedf710b92d960e2191b5b1ae345.jpg

...and here it is, still running backwards, as the crew starts decorating for HitP.

Not that bad, but busier than I expected to be honest. The super warm weather probably has a lot to do with it. So many t-shirts & shorts combos. Early morning was reride craziness on both Namtab and Nitro. Full station at Kingda Ka, but nothing spilling out past it.

Oh man, those are beautiful shots. Didn't get to stick around past 3 so I missed the lights, but I'll definitely be taking the family with during the regular HITP season.

In the meantime, here's my brief recap from today;

Got to the park around 10:30, after dealing with a silly detour on 195 that was due to them repaving the exit ramp... and the one immediately following it... sigh. No big deal, because as I pulled into the parking lot, I saw there was only a handful of cars. The main gate only had a few lines that were open; three or four for season pass holders, all of which were crammed with families... two people in a "single day ticket" line... and me along with a few others over at the Discover entrance. Really surprised more people don't take advantage of this, especially considering they typically let us in 10 minutes ahead of anyone else.

First thing I did was head over to Movie Town in order to hopefully hit up Namtab... and lo and behold, not only was it open but it WAS still running backwards! Yay for small miracles! Since I didn't get a chance to get this one in the rotation last time I was there, I made sure to get as many rerides as possible while the station was still mostly empty. Did four in a row; one in the front, one in the back, and two second from the back. I absolutely love the G's and the view from the last row, and I'm going to be a sad camper for sure when they finally replace the trains and turn it right-side-front again.

After I finished up at Namtab, I bounced over to an equally empty Nitro queue and hit this one three times in a row as well. Let me tell you, even with half-empty trains, this thing was hauling some serious butt today! Tons of floater air, just the way I like it. Interesting to note they saw someone with a phone out and radioed directly to the speakers on the lift hill, "if you don't put that phone away right now, we WILL stop the ride, and you WILL be ejected. Put it away. NOW!" Seeing as how they didn't stop the ride, I have to assume the person complied.

After my trio of rides on Nitro, I decided one more ride on Namtab was in order. At this point, the station had filled up, but it was still only about a ten minute wait for the back row. (Damn that one, singular train!) And by this point, I was starting to feel just a touch nommish, so I felt like checking out the food options. Well... there weren't many. Almost every restaurant or food stand on that side of the park was closed, with the exception of Granny's. Meh. So I headed over to the boardwalk and got a cheap snack of mango bubble tea & a spring roll. Was hoping to take the Skyway over in that direction, but since everything in the Frontier section was closed today (yes, including the mine train and BBNP kiddie rides), that meant no Skyway service. Oh well.

I quickly finished up my cheap snack and was heading towards Kingda Ka when I noticed that Twister was loading and was a walkon, so I gave this a quick ride. Not my favorite, to be honest, but a decent way to waste a few minutes.

Then it was over to KDK for a ride or two, depending upon the wait. By the time I made it through the empty queue, I saw a full station and very slow-moving ride ops, dispatching maybe one train every five minutes or so. With that in mind I decided to forego the front row wait and take second row instead: still good, and I'm more than tall enough for the perfect rush of wind and view from the top. Sadly, as I was next in line, they got hit with one of their famous "technical difficulties" and had to shuffle back all the folks who had previously boarded the train while they worked on a fix. Still, only about a 15 minute wait for them to get it up and running again, which seems to be much better than average. That being said, I wasn't about to wait again for a reride; one and done with Ka today.

Next on my must ride list was El Toro, which I hadn't seen many trains for throughout the day. Apparently they had been having several bouts of technical difficulties off and on as well, and just as I entered the queue they announced that it would be undergoing some maintenance as well. This had the fantastic effect of significantly thinning the line. So much so that I made it all the way from the snack stand up to the station without them sending out a single train. They finally got it up and running again, sent out one single train full of riders, and when it got back... down again. Oh well. They had to take Train A off the active track, and ended up only running Train B (the lovely Kia Soul train ), but finally, they were able to board us and send us out. Ran butter smooth and fast as heck, too! Again though, wasn't about to do a second attempt after that.

I still had a little bit of time left to kill, so I hit El Diablo for the second time this season. Still thoroughly underwhelming. Then I decided to try for one more on Superman, if the line was short enough... and, it was! Back to the snack shack and moving fairly quickly. Though it was a little annoying to see them consistently sending out trains with rows of two people... especially as a single rider... thankfully managed to grab a seat in the last row. I still maintain it's a pretty boring ride, with the singular exception of that pretzel loop -- and wow, did it ever knock the wind out of me today!

By this point, it was 3 PM and time to head home. Not a bad day, but definitely hampered by all the closures.

Here's a few additional photos;

image.thumb.jpg.4ba8d0b0280de591df953c873d2df0d9.jpg

The fountain of blood has been replaced with a steel tree, in progress.

image.thumb.jpg.187d778691011591b3fedcd62e9e6470.jpg

Hanging lights to transform Skull Mountain into Poinsettia Peak.

image.thumb.jpg.fd285697f1e2876ec9a0ef2326ae3e14.jpg

The Rolling Thunder train graveyard.

image.thumb.jpg.e0084746db0a029fe35cec9dba1c34e5.jpg

Up charge attractions out of service? Stuffed with weight dummies? Is this really a Six Flags?!

^^^ thanks for that awesome report and good photos, saw a lot of people online that were there today (made work reeeeally fun), looked like a great day for lots of riding (not eating though,from the sounds of it! 1.5 hour lines for food???)

^ note the bottom of his post - the folks at GAH posted it. edit: what Yoshi said.

The lights look great! It seems like Six Flags does a great job with Holiday In The Park chain-wide.

Six Flags Over Georgia introduced the event last winter and I was honestly amazed at the quality of the lights, food, shows, and themes. I had gone to Smoky Mountain Christmas at Dollywood a week earlier and was still very impressed by Six Flags. Looks like SFGAdv will be impressive as well!

I hope the coasters run well during the event. Here in Atlanta it is warmer, but even with SFOG's ridiculous "50+ temps" policy, they ran all the rides and coasters even when the temperatures dropped to the high 30s.

I can't wait to see some trip reports!