TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

^^ Never seen it myself but heard about that happening a few times throughout this season from friends/other forums. Only when KK train is empty during testing though. Makes sense. Empty Ka train = no loose articles to fall on to Zum riders. Hopefully ElToroRyan can chime in since I'm pretty sure he said he worked Ka this year.

Related, a friend and I got

from Toro's queue of them operating simultaneously during filming for the commercial last year (this was before it was open to the public but there were riders/actors on Zum and Ka).

such that the roof on Zumanjaro must close before Kingda Ka can launch, with or without riders.

Zumanjaro has a retractable roof to protect the station and riders from falling objects? Haha that's funny. Do you have a picture, please?

About Skull Mountain - I was amazed by how the concept-art was beautiful... but far from the final result.

(Greatadventurehistory.com via Parkvault)

Edited by KingRCT3

About Skull Mountain - I was amazed by how the concept-art was beautiful... but far from the final result.

(Greatadventurehistory.com via Parkvault)

Ive said it before and Ill say it again: Skull Mountain is a Disney ride gone horribly wrong and that's why it's so great. Who cares what the outside looks like. We certainly don't need to entice people inside to ride it. When you are in the park The Mountain will call you to ride and once you have ridden you may or may not become a member of the Cult of Skull. Once you are a member it will always call you to ride. I can hear it calling me right now 50 miles away in South Philly.

Someone posted a trip report elsewhere that said while riding Zumanjaro yesterday, Kingda Ka ran simultaneously. They even dropped while KK's train was coming down from the top, essentially racing it to the bottom. When they asked ride ops about it, the ride op said "when they are testing KK, they sometimes run at the same time."

Can anyone with more authority speak to this? Has anything changed with the state, or is there reason to call BS on this person?

The two rides have an interlock that is always turned on when both rides are running with riders. This links the two computer systems so that only one of the rides can occupy the tower at a time. But this can be turned off by maintenance when one of the rides is testing. In this case, Ka was testing for a majority of yesterday so maintenance just turned off the interlock so that they could continuously test Ka without any interruption. If you were one of the lucky Zumanjaro riders who had a Ka train whizzing over the tower during your ride, I commend you. haha

Also, here's a pic of Ka's lit up q-line. It's a miracle!

12046728_1042745419068935_2502021143325212684_n.thumb.jpg.ace8a2c702ec620d8b862e2737e2ba7e.jpg

Someone posted a trip report elsewhere that said while riding Zumanjaro yesterday, Kingda Ka ran simultaneously. They even dropped while KK's train was coming down from the top, essentially racing it to the bottom. When they asked ride ops about it, the ride op said "when they are testing KK, they sometimes run at the same time."

Can anyone with more authority speak to this? Has anything changed with the state, or is there reason to call BS on this person?

It's true. I was at the park yesterday and we were lucky enough to be on Zumanjaro when Kingdaka was testing. I'd say we were about half-way up Zumanjaro when Kingdaka launched. It was a cool experience.

Shift in topic a bit - can any of the locals/regulars comment on their experiences going to the park on the last operating day in the past? I am not going Saturday even tho its Halloween and in years past it seems like its pretty light (which makes sense considering most normal people do trick-or-treat w/ their kids or go to costume/house parties) but being that its on Saturday this year I imagine it might be crowded-to-packed.

HOWEVER we are thinking of going up Sunday morning for a few last rides on El Toro (+ the other good rides on that side of the park) since it won't be open after this weekend/for HITP. I'm guessing that if we go before opening and run right back there that as usual we'll be able to have a nice little morning marathon, but how bad is the park usually on days after Halloween? As of now the weather looks ok but was hoping other locals/regulars could offer some insight into crowds on closing day usually?

It's true. I was at the park yesterday and we were lucky enough to be on Zumanjaro when Kingdaka was testing. I'd say we were about half-way up Zumanjaro when Kingdaka launched. It was a cool experience.

Nice. Did the tower sway/shake at all?

Hey guys! New to this discussion board. I've never been to a Six Flags park before, and I have a trip planned to Great Adventure in 2016. I have a few questions regarding the trip.

1. Is there a particular time of the year when crowds are lowest? Would you suggest two days instead of one? I'm coming from 8 hours away and need to get everything. Preferably the least busiest time AFTER Total Maybem opens...

2. Has Kingda Ka been reliable this season? If I'm making the trip, KK is a must for me or I just won't be satisfied. I know it's had its fair share of problems over the years but it's the tallest coaster in the world so I feel like it has to be ridden at least once.

3. How are the lines for KK now that the drop ride is there? I know they cannot run simultaneously. Would a flash pass be worth it, or just go two days and tough the line?

4. Any particular tips any of you have to share? I only have one shot at this park and it's been on my list for a very long time so I want to make the most of it.

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds with information, Carowinds is my home park and my coaster count is only at 83, so I'm ready to start branching out further.

Hey guys! New to this discussion board. I've never been to a Six Flags park before, and I have a trip planned to Great Adventure in 2016. I have a few questions regarding the trip.

1. Is there a particular time of the year when crowds are lowest? Would you suggest two days instead of one? I'm coming from 8 hours away and need to get everything. Preferably the least busiest time AFTER Total Maybem opens...

2. Has Kingda Ka been reliable this season? If I'm making the trip, KK is a must for me or I just won't be satisfied. I know it's had its fair share of problems over the years but it's the tallest coaster in the world so I feel like it has to be ridden at least once.

3. How are the lines for KK now that the drop ride is there? I know they cannot run simultaneously. Would a flash pass be worth it, or just go two days and tough the line?

4. Any particular tips any of you have to share? I only have one shot at this park and it's been on my list for a very long time so I want to make the most of it.

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds with information, Carowinds is my home park and my coaster count is only at 83, so I'm ready to start branching out further.

Welcome! I suggest going to the park during the week and while school is still in session (Early June). If you follow that advice you won't have to wait more than 30 minutes for a ride, with the exception of maybe Kingdaka. Get there before opening and you will be absolutely fine. Just make sure there are no big events or class trips the day you plan to go.

If you go during this time, a flash pass isn't worth it, in my opinion. Going two days will be plenty.

Honestly, Kingdaka is an extremely unreliable ride. I would say it is open maybe 65-70% of the time. If you are basing this visit ONLY on Kingdaka, there is a chance that you may be disappointed.

As far as tips, my main tip would be to get there before opening and head to El Toro. DO NOT GO TO KINGDAKA AT OPENING, IT NEVER OPENS WHEN THE PARK OPENS.

I hope this helps. SFGA is an Amazing park with great employees and a fun atmosphere. I hope you get the chance to visit. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Welcome to the board.

1. Lowest crowds tend to be very early in the season (April/May) but always pay attention to the parks event page on their website. If they have a few groups at the park it can become insanely crowded, even on days early in the season. Like Spring Break. During the summer, mid week is best but again, if there are groups (camp trips etc) you'll be looking at lines. Sat/Sun in the summer can be brutal, especially if weather is nice. SFGAdv typically opens their new attraction Memorial Day weekend. If you are planning your trip around the opening of TM and are booking (hotel, airfare, whatever) in advance I'd plan for after July 4th. Zumanjaro opened July 4th weekend. I would hope TM will be open for Memorial Day since SF has installed this ride before (Batman, SFFT), but you can't use that argument since Lex Luthor is essentially the same thing and it still took GreatAdv until July 4th to get Zum up and running.

2. Kingda Ka is a definite must do for any coaster fan. It's hard for me to say as I'm not a huge fan and have only ridden it like 2-3xs this season, but generally it seems to be reliable. If this is at the top of your list, get there at opening and go right to the ride and wait for it to open if its not already.

3. If you have two days you can probably squeeze everything in that you want to w/o a flash pass but if you only have one day and its reasonably crowded I suggest you splurge on a Gold Pass, but don't bother with Platinum unless you plan to ride and re-ride as much as possible. A gold pass can get the job done, just make sure to reserve your next ride as soon as you are scanned into your current ride. Don't wait until you are finished riding.

4. Depends on what you really want to hit. Superman usually has long lines because of its restraints and usual understaffing of the ride, but if you've never done a B&M flyer I highly recommend it. A lot of folks here won't agree but there is nothing else in the park like that pretzel loop. The rest of the ride sucks, but worth a ride for that element alone. Ka always has a line so another you want to hit right away. With Zumanjaro, the line does move slower, so again, go there first if that's your big "must do".

Any other tips? Ride El Toro - 2nd to last row. Best ride in the park hands down. I always tend to go here first since its a little out of the way and doesn't get a line for the first 30-60-90 minutes of the day. And you can re-ride it for a while until the line forms. And you'll probably want to re-ride it. Nitro - back row far right seat. Bizarro - in the front. Green Lantern - unless you really have a thing for having your skull bashed in, skip it. Runaway Mine Train is worth a ride, great fun and a great setting. Ride the Skyway for great views. Macho Nacho is good food. Best of the West has OK food but great views if you get a good seat. We have a pretty good log flume. Zumanjaro very quickly became one of my favorite rides in the park. And don't skip Batman, it's amazing. Oh and I can't forget Skull Mountain - last row.

Here is a good report with crowd pictures from closing day on Sunday last year:

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/GATrips_Autumn_2014_11_02.htm

Thanks Yoshi! Was hoping you'd have some insight. Anyone else?

^ I also went to the park the last operating day last year. Overall crowds were manageable and a good time was had. However, my experience was marred because it was SO EFFING COLD and, like the moron I am, didn't bring a jacket. I've a feeling this year will be a bit better.

Boldikus nailed it. Kingda Ka is unreliable but it's very unlikely that it would ever be closed for a whole day...generally it's just up and down a lot throughout the day. Despite the line you absolutely 100% have to ride in the front. Kingda Ka in row 1 is a mind blowing experience.

Welcome to the board.

1. Lowest crowds tend to be very early in the season (April/May) but always pay attention to the parks event page on their website. If they have a few groups at the park it can become insanely crowded, even on days early in the season. Like Spring Break. During the summer, mid week is best but again, if there are groups (camp trips etc) you'll be looking at lines. Sat/Sun in the summer can be brutal, especially if weather is nice. SFGAdv typically opens their new attraction Memorial Day weekend. If you are planning your trip around the opening of TM and are booking (hotel, airfare, whatever) in advance I'd plan for after July 4th. Zumanjaro opened July 4th weekend. I would hope TM will be open for Memorial Day since SF has installed this ride before (Batman, SFFT), but you can't use that argument since Lex Luthor is essentially the same thing and it still took GreatAdv until July 4th to get Zum up and running.

2. Kingda Ka is a definite must do for any coaster fan. It's hard for me to say as I'm not a huge fan and have only ridden it like 2-3xs this season, but generally it seems to be reliable. If this is at the top of your list, get there at opening and go right to the ride and wait for it to open if its not already.

3. If you have two days you can probably squeeze everything in that you want to w/o a flash pass but if you only have one day and its reasonably crowded I suggest you splurge on a Gold Pass, but don't bother with Platinum unless you plan to ride and re-ride as much as possible. A gold pass can get the job done, just make sure to reserve your next ride as soon as you are scanned into your current ride. Don't wait until you are finished riding.

4. Depends on what you really want to hit. Superman usually has long lines because of its restraints and usual understaffing of the ride, but if you've never done a B&M flyer I highly recommend it. A lot of folks here won't agree but there is nothing else in the park like that pretzel loop. The rest of the ride sucks, but worth a ride for that element alone. Ka always has a line so another you want to hit right away. With Zumanjaro, the line does move slower, so again, go there first if that's your big "must do".

Any other tips? Ride El Toro - 2nd to last row. Best ride in the park hands down. I always tend to go here first since its a little out of the way and doesn't get a line for the first 30-60-90 minutes of the day. And you can re-ride it for a while until the line forms. And you'll probably want to re-ride it. Nitro - back row far right seat. Bizarro - in the front. Green Lantern - unless you really have a thing for having your skull bashed in, skip it. Runaway Mine Train is worth a ride, great fun and a great setting. Ride the Skyway for great views. Macho Nacho is good food. Best of the West has OK food but great views if you get a good seat. We have a pretty good log flume. Zumanjaro very quickly became one of my favorite rides in the park. And don't skip Batman, it's amazing. Oh and I can't forget Skull Mountain - last row.

Here is a good report with crowd pictures from closing day on Sunday last year:

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/GATrips_Autumn_2014_11_02.htm

Thanks Yoshi! Was hoping you'd have some insight. Anyone else?

I agree. Well said!

Thanks for all the useful information! I'll definitely keep these tips in mind. I won't say I'll be 100% unsatisfied if I miss KK but it would be a huge blow as I'm such a far distance and just the monicker of "tallest in the world" makes me really want that credit. I've done Dragster in the front row and I can't even describe in words the rush of the launch so I imagine KK to be just a amazing! Never been on a B&M flyer but I've heard good things so I'll be sure to check that out. Overall I'd say I'm most looking forward to El Toro.. I have yet to experience a decent wooden coaster.

This sorta random but shouts out to the Superman crew! They hit a million riders this year for the first time since the ride opened in 2003. Bizarro recently hit a million as well.

Forgot to mention this -- it looks like wait times are finally working in the app;

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

Bizarro with a shorter wait than Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train. Gotta love it.

I don't think it works on everyone's phone yet. The official roll out for wait times is supposed to be next year.

This sorta random but shouts out to the Superman crew! They hit a million riders this year for the first time since the ride opened in 2003. Bizarro recently hit a million as well.

Forgot to mention this -- it looks like wait times are finally working in the app;

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

Bizarro with a shorter wait than Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train. Gotta love it.

I don't think it works on everyone's phone yet. The official roll out for wait times is supposed to be next year.

the wait times on the app have been so far off. they really need to fix it

I'd be curious to know Nitros numbers this year for comparison.

Also how many of that million on Bizarro were during Fright Fest (I know you prob don't know this Ryan just sorta wondering out loud).

I'd be curious to know Nitros numbers this year for comparison.

Also how many of that million on Bizarro were during Fright Fest (I know you prob don't know this Ryan just sorta wondering out loud).

bizarro must be fudging #'s, because when you sit out on the break run for a good 5 to 10 min because the crew is so slow, no way they hit 1 mil. especially its usually always empty except for a holiday or fright fest. Those #'s need to be audited.