TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Got to park at opening today. Seven rides on El Toro in 40 minutes. , then walk on for Zumanjaro.. Took short thru Safari Adventures to Sky Ride. 10 minute wait for Nitro, stacking three trains. One ride on Skull Mountain and now enjoying Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese with a piece of cake. Lines are starting to pick up half the patrons appeared to be waiting for Kingda Ka to open to start the day.

Edited by larrygator

I think it will be extremely crowded tomorrow. The park is open until midnight compared to every other Sunday where they are open until 10 which likely means the park thinks there will be enough people there to justify being open 2 hours later. There is the NJ Fall Key Club Rally and a AAA event that had discounted tickets and a catered meal which will also add to crowds.

I think it will be extremely crowded tomorrow. The park is open until midnight compared to every other Sunday where they are open until 10 which likely means the park thinks there will be enough people there to justify being open 2 hours later. There is the NJ Fall Key Club Rally and a AAA event that had discounted tickets and a catered meal which will also add to crowds.

Also because Monday is Columbus Day so it'll be more like a Friday/Saturday night.

Unrelated to Fright Fest discussion but does anyone know/remember the "Theme Park Maniacs" that visit Great Adventure and other nearby US parks pretty much daily? They're known for chanting really loud on rides so you'd know if you've seen them (I persoanlly have at Bizarro).

If you know what I'm talking about or have more information on their current situation I'd like more information if that's appropriate. If you have no idea what I'm talking about please try not to say anything about them as this is more of a serious post.

Unrelated to Fright Fest discussion but does anyone know/remember the "Theme Park Maniacs" that visit Great Adventure and other nearby US parks pretty much daily? They're known for chanting really loud on rides so you'd know if you've seen them (I persoanlly have at Bizarro).

If you know what I'm talking about or have more information on their current situation I'd like more information if that's appropriate. If you have no idea what I'm talking about please try not to say anything about them as this is more of a serious post.

Well, there may be people here who know the situation first-hand, but Googling with time filters to show only recent mentions would be a good way to keep track of news as it becomes available. The conjecture is that the proprietor of the site and its coaster content has passed away, but I haven't seen an official source confirm this. I don't know anything about the site's standing in the coaster fandom/media ecosystem, but it's always sad to read untimely reports about a person who shares in our common love for parks.

I know I'm probably WELL ahead of any schedule here, but has there been any progress on TM? Other than dirt, I mean. Knowing Six Flags they'll start vertical construction in May, but a man can dream.

They have a website and youtube channel that appear to be quite active. Like updated 4 hours ago active.

I know I'm probably WELL ahead of any schedule here, but has there been any progress on TM? Other than dirt, I mean. Knowing Six Flags they'll start vertical construction in May, but a man can dream.

IMG_20151010_121813.thumb.jpg.50f31b2b2c213c30f0175415abd79880.jpg

The foundation for Fort Independence was deep into the ground to hold all the water. It is still being removed. I took this photo today. I should have taken another picture 5 seconds later to show the concrete that still need to be dug out.

Edited by larrygator

Got to park at opening today. Seven rides on El Toro in 40 minutes. , then walk on for Zumanjaro.. Took short thru Safari Adventures to Sky Ride. 10 minute wait for Nitro, stacking three trains. One ride on Skull Mountain and now enjoying Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese with a piece of cake. Lines are starting to pick up half the patrons appeared to be waiting for Kingda Ka to open to start the day.

You are so lucky. Later that day when I went the lines were so long that Green Lantern had a 2 hour wait! (And I've never seen that ride get more than a 20 minute wait)

Also the lines were so long on all the rides that they had to MAKE extra queue out of ROPE AND TRASHCANS. And all queue extensions were being used on all rides. It might just be when I go but I've never seen that before.

Shoutout to Bizzaros' crew though (which was also using all of its queue and had the longest wait it's probably had in the last 10 years) as they were pumping out trains great and the train was on the lift hill when the train before it was on the 1st corkscrew almost the entire time waiting in line.

Still had a fun time though because I got a ride on el toro in the magic seat

(Note: I made tons of edits to this)

Also the lines were so long on all the rides that they had to MAKE extra queue out of ROPE AND TRASHCANS. And all queue extensions were being used on all rides. It might just be when I go but I've never seen that before.

That's nothing new, that happens every year during Fright Fest. They have them set up by mid-September.

Well, there may be people here who know the situation first-hand, but Googling with time filters to show only recent mentions would be a good way to keep track of news as it becomes available. The conjecture is that the proprietor of the site and its coaster content has passed away, but I haven't seen an official source confirm this. I don't know anything about the site's standing in the coaster fandom/media ecosystem, but it's always sad to read untimely reports about a person who shares in our common love for parks.

Yeah this seems to be what happened. I have no idea how he passed. There are loads of posts in the Great Adventure Connoisseurs FB group about him - including a kickstarter to help his family w/ the costs of this.

I never met him but chatted with him via FB and Twitter a few times, saw him in the park a few times from a distance (once in the Nitro queue caught him and his buddies doing his "YES!" chant in the front row as they rounded the curve to the lift), and I really enjoyed his videos and site mainly because he seemed like a really weird funny guy. His goal seemed to be to make something incredibly fun even more fun for everyone around him. Huge bummer, and I feel terrible for his wife since she was always with him, always in all his clips and pix.

They have a website and youtube channel that appear to be quite active. Like updated 4 hours ago active.

Someone posted that he had his social media channels set to autopost well in advance so creepily there will likely be videos/updates appearing for a bit.

I went to the park yesterday, and have never seen the park that crowded. I got there around 3 and waited in line for my trail wristband. By the time we got the wristband and walked to superman, it was already 4:00. The woman told us about an hour and it ended up being 2 hours 15 minutes. We were then going to go to king da ka but someone said the line was out the entrance so we decided to take a trip to el toro. The line wrapped around the fence and went down to the bridge. 2 hours. Next we used our passes and went through bloodshed. About an hour wait and I was very satisfied. Next we did forgotten carnival which was about a 45 minute wait. It was incredible! I jumped a bunch of times, definitely the best one. Lastly we walked over to asylum, which was an hour wait, and went through that. I've always loved asylum and it did not dissapoint. I couldn't believe how crowded it was, all the lines were pretty much 2 hours. I was there for 8 hours and got through 3 trails and went on 2 rides. Definitely getting a flash pass next time.

You are so lucky.

I consider it smart planning to get to SFGAdv at opening (especially during Fright Fest) versus being lucky. I was in my car ready to leave the park at 2PM hen some friends contacted me from inside the park. I went back in just to hang out and watched to crowds grow and grow. When I left the park at 5PM the parking lot was practically full.

You are so lucky.

I consider it smart planning to get to SFGAdv at opening (especially during Fright Fest) versus being lucky. I was in my car ready to leave the park at 2PM hen some friends contacted me from inside the park. I went back in just to hang out and watched to crowds grow and grow. When I left the park at 5PM the parking lot was practically full.

Yeah I wasn't able to get their earlier. But your right about the lucky thing. That was bad wording on my part. I was one of the million people that got into the parking lot at 5 haha. We had to park at the very back of the parking lot.

Sunday, October 11th "Trip Report!"

So my son and I headed to the park at 8:30pm, with the idea that with a midnight closing, who the heck would be there that late?

With that in mind- once we were directed to the HH parking lot.....we knew we were in trouble! His comment to me was, "Dad- I've been to HH so many times, and never saw the parking lot this packed when it I go there, none the less the park!"

How was it?

- Great vibe in the park/tons of kids (I guess many schools are truly closed Columbus Day!)

- Headed to Nitro- crazy!

- Walked over to Bizarro- no way!

- El Toro? Sure- but we knew that it would be packed, skipped it!

At that point- we called it a night....at the very least, we had an hour together/had a good walk through the park! From the looks of the refreshment/food lines....there was some good revenue being pulled into the park- good for SFGA! Although we didn't get on any rides, it is good to see how popular the park is this time of year. See you in the winter SFGA! (as I can't deal with the HUGE October crowds!)

Hmm. My *only* visit to SFGAd was during Fright Fest last year. Weather was absoluetly perfect (I stress, perfect), yet I got in every coaster (minus Superman), six rides on El Toro, desirable flats, and spent 3-4 hours only walking the park for photos. This was between a Friday night and a Saturday.

Prehaps crowds calm down by late FF?

Hmm. My *only* visit to SFGAd was during Fright Fest last year. Weather was absoluetly perfect (I stress, perfect), yet I got in every coaster (minus Superman), six rides on El Toro, desirable flats, and spent 3-4 hours only walking the park for photos. This was between a Friday night and a Saturday.

Prehaps crowds calm down by late FF?

Friday's are generally less crowded. I was able to do every coaster there minus Blackbeards and the kiddie one on just one fright fest Friday night last year. Saturday nights are when the crowds get huge, especially since it's a long weekend.

So from what I've read, I heard calling today busy would be an understatement

Hearing from lots of locals/regulars that yesterday was one of the busiest days any of them had seen. I guess the crappy weather last weekend forced lots of folks to push their trip back a week. Seems busy today too from what I can tell. Glad I stayed far far away.

Can you say crowded!?

Got in the park yesterday around 3:00 and left around 8:00. This place was mobbed! The most crowded I have EVER seen the park. Got on 5 rides (2 Zumanjaro, 2 Skyride, 1 Dark Night) and waited 30 minutes for dinner. A few rides that we passed were easily a 2 hour wait.

But I have to agree with the post above, the vibe in the park was a lot of fun, just too crowded for me. Trying to hit the park on Saturday or Sunday this weekend, and hoping that it will be less crowded. Any questions just ask

I know this sounds weird, but I enjoy going on busy days like this last weekend for the sole purpose of walking around and enjoying the atmosphere. I love seeing everything running full speed and watching so many people have a blast.

Since it looks like a few people here knew or heard of Kevin, I thought I should post this here. This is my Memory of Kevin...

Hi all,

I just wanted to take a moment to say how saddened I am to hear of Kevin's passing. Having watched a countless number of his Youtube videos for the past year was amazing enough, but two weeks ago I had the pleasure of meeting Kevin while waiting in line for Bizarro with my brother. We had an amazing conversation, and he asked how we liked the videos. The other half of his friends were waiting in line for row two, and they wanted to be on the same train, so we let Kevin and his group on before us in the front row. Kevin and his family's train left the station, and my brother and I hopped on the next train. After we got off, we made our way down the exit ramp. At the end of the ramp, Kevin was standing there with his blue camera, making sure to get us on video. He screamed "How was that ride!?". At the time, the excitement and joy of this act of kindness made our day.

After getting us on camera, Kevin and his group slowly walked into the distance. This would be the first and only time that we would meet Kevin, but his upbeat personality would make an ever-lasting impression. Walking down the exit ramp of Bizarro will never be the same, in fact we had to skip the ride this past weekend. I look forward to the Youtube video from that day being posted, as it is a moment that we had with Kevin that we will never forget. God Bless and rest in peace.