TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Does anyone know if Batman backwards will still be running next week? I know that it wasn't supposed to run this week but apparently it is and I was going to go next Saturday (can't wait for the crowds!) and was wondering if anyone knew if it would still be running.

Great question, as I was surprised to see it still running today. I haven't come across any "official" announcement anywhere. That said, my guess is that it will stay backwards through Fright Feist, as I don't see any reason to go switch it out at this point of the season, nor am I aware of any other SF park awaiting for the backwards trains.

I'm including (2) pictures of the parking lot (from the Superman exit) to give you an idea of how dead it was today.

That's insane - I can't believe they even stayed open!

Also, wasn't Batman supposed to be running forwards again after Labor Day? I might need to get up there one more time this season if it's going to be running backwards for the next few weeks...

Umm. Holy Crap. What an amazing day at Six Flags Great Adventure! No crowds at all. A little chilly, but the sun started to peak in the afternoon and made way for the best day at the park all year.

We were there from about 11:00 to 7:00 and got on a total of 31 coaster rides!! 31!!! We got on Nitro 8 times in a row after being crowned the "Lucky train" Also got on the Safari with a 5 minute wait. All coasters were walk-ons with the exception of KingdaKa which was a 5 minute wait.

The parachute ride and the Skyride were both down for a majority of the day, but they both reopened around 5:30.

All in all, it was the PERFECT day at the park. So glad we went today.

I decided at the last minute to go to the park today and I also thought it was my best trip of the season. I never expected it to be as empty as it was and it was a lot of fun to just pick a ride and walk right on rather than skipping rides or coming back to them later hoping to find a shorter line. It was also nice to see many coasters running 2 trains even though they probably could have gotten away with running 1 train on almost everything.

A big thank you to the TPR board for all the help and advice they provided in advance of my first-ever (and hopefully not last) visit to SFGAdv on Saturday.

It was an amazing day. We were only there a few hours but got multiple rides (and re-rides) on everything we wanted, and I never thought I'd say this... but thank goodness for the weather! Yes it was chilly, windy and a little bit rainy, but we came prepared, and it didn't deter from our day - and boy the park was empty. At times I felt like Clark Griswold at the end of Vacation... it was that quiet. I rode Bizarro with one other guy on the front row... and nobody else. I rode Skull Mountain and no one was in the queue, and I basically sat on the backseat by myself as they dispatched the train. Superman had a one train wait, so despite the slow loading times, the whole experience - from entering the queue to exiting the queue - took less than 10 minutes. It was unbelievable...

I came to ride El Toro, and boy did it not disappoint - I expected it to deliver, and it exceeded my expectations. I had multiple rides in the last car (including back row, 3rd from the back, and the infamous 2nd from the back). I've never experienced negative G's quite like this. What a fantastic, fast, relentless layout. Re-ride policy was sweet! I actually had to take a break after 3 rides and get myself pulled together to do 2 more.

I also got several rides in on Nitro, and I was very happy with my rides as well. Whereas El Toro just doesn't let up, Nitro had a gentler forcefulness, and provided nice floater air (I much preferred the back to the front... although with no wait for the front it was fun to experience that as well). I also loved the wind whipping my wind-breaker as I swooped over those massive hills. I've only been on two B&M hypers, and I think I prefer this over Apollo's Chariot.

I have to say that the biggest surprise of the day was not how great the coasters were (which they were...) it was how great the safari was. I honestly didn't expect us to have time to do it... but my wife was with me, and she only went on a couple of coasters. El Toro didn't open at park opening, and I wanted to hang around that side of the park until it did.... so we decided to take a spin on the safari. I couldn't believe how expansive it was... it just kept going and going and going... and I was stunned by how many species of animals it had. I love DAK a ton... and feel like Kilimanjaro Safari's kills it in theming and creating a great natural habitat in which to view wildlife... but this was super impressive for a safari, and much better than I ever expected. My wife (who is a huge WDW fan) even loved it more than DAK. Well done, Six Flags!

Also - thanks for the tip on Macho Nacho. Had a great lunch of pork nachos there - and tons of food!

I was impressed with the park - a beautiful setting, and pretty well run and maintained for a SF park. Nicely themed for FF, and crews were strong for the most part. I hope to visit again!

Here was my coaster count:

El Toro - 5x

Nitro - 3x

Mine Train 1x

Skull Mtn 1x

The Dark Knight 1x

Superman:UF 1x

S

- Also, it was awesome to see a couple on the ride enjoying it soooooo much! They re-rode like I did, then I saw the women walkout of the station, with the guy going on again.....I told her (at the exit) that he's never coming off the ride- and she told me that they are in from Utah, and are making the best of the day!

-

That was me!!!

Where were you sitting? On my first ride (and her only ride), I was on the 3rd from the back... then re-rode that seat, then moved to 2nd to back and the very back (with another ride near the front).

I've been wanting to ride this for years... and I'm sure you could tell

It was my wife you chatted with, I'm sure.... dark hair, knit hat?

Sounds like you all had a good time this weekend. Have to admit kinda jealous I didn't make more of an effort to get up there, just had stuff around the house to do and with the crappy weather I was rather unmotivated, and couldn't be bothered to make the trek up there. Sounds like it was great for marathoning tho!

Talked to a few other folks who were there this weekend and they all said it was dead and had a great time. Yesterday (Sunday) looked especially awesome with it turning nice and sunny in the afternoon but the park stayed quiet.

I went to the park on Saturday with Rikki and my mother. It was my mom's first trip back in a couple years. I purchased her a season pass for next year during the big Labor Day sale, so we took her to get it activated.

I knew the park would be dead, but I was amazed with how dead it actually was. The most we ever waited for anything was a station wait. We even walked directly onto the Safari!

The Safari was the highlight of the day for us. The weather really helped make several of the animals active, much more so than they would be on a normal hot day. Lions were running and playing, giraffes ran across the field, tigers were pacing and roaring, black bears were active and posing, etc. The only downside was that Camp Aventura was closed due to the weather / staffing, but it was still one of the best Safari trips I've been on since the drive-thru element was eliminated. It was very nostalgic for my mom, too - she was a warden in the Safari back in the 70s and loves what the park has done with it.

We would've ridden a lot more if we didn't take my mother with us (back problems keep her off of most rides at this point), but she was still able to enjoy Buccaneer and Houdini (her first time one it) with us. Besides that, we did Nitro, Superman twice, and El Toro. We were only there for a few hours, but it was a fun day nonetheless!

I wonder when parts and track will start to arrive for TM. You'd think Gradv would want to get a head start like so many of the other parks are. Then again maybe the parts arent even ready since RMC has four other projects to handle as well.

Seemed like Batman @ SFFT went up really quick. What was it like 6 weeks? Using that timeframe, I wouldn't expect GreatAdv to even start vertical construction until February at the earliest. Seriously. I hope I'm wrong and we get to check out them building this thing during Holiday in the Park, but as usual they are probably aiming for a Memorial Day weekend opening so that leaves them plenty of time in the spring for construction.

S

- Also, it was awesome to see a couple on the ride enjoying it soooooo much! They re-rode like I did, then I saw the women walkout of the station, with the guy going on again.....I told her (at the exit) that he's never coming off the ride- and she told me that they are in from Utah, and are making the best of the day!

-

That was me!!!

Where were you sitting? On my first ride (and her only ride), I was on the 3rd from the back... then re-rode that seat, then moved to 2nd to back and the very back (with another ride near the front).

I've been wanting to ride this for years... and I'm sure you could tell

It was my wife you chatted with, I'm sure.... dark hair, knit hat?

Too funny! I was right in front of you guys towards the back (green fleece, navy cargo shortly, folicially challenged- but still handsome!). It was definitely you guys! And I forgot about your earlier post I had read! My son goes to a Private Boarding school, so he's not around on Saturday's, and my wife/daughter had their own plans....and only living 15 minutes from the park, I said "what the hell! I mine as well go alone!" Sorry I didn't put in the effort to say hello (except for your wife when she bowed out of the bull!), but so happy that you hit the park on a "perfect" day! (As October is always packed/miserable!).

Don't know if anyone plays Roller Coaster Tycoon but supposedly they teamed up with Six Flags. They were advertising the new game Roller Coaster Tycoon World on many of the monitors this past weekend.

Six Flags worked with Nvizzio Creations to provide "the technical expertise and inspiration" for the game. Apparently the company allowed them to check out the inner workings of the coasters and everything in order to get the game as real as possible for this new game in the franchise. This is obviously very cool and especially since I am fully looking forward to this game.

^That's pretty cool to see them promoting it like that... I mean.. it's better than the music videos they constantly play

Really, you'd prefer the ads? To each his own but I strongly disagree. Personally I can't stand Six Flags TV. At this point they never play music, it's almost nothing but ads. Cesar Fair does it right.

Too funny! I was right in front of you guys towards the back (green fleece, navy cargo shortly, folicially challenged- but still handsome!). It was definitely you guys! And I forgot about your earlier post I had read! My son goes to a Private Boarding school, so he's not around on Saturday's, and my wife/daughter had their own plans....and only living 15 minutes from the park, I said "what the hell! I mine as well go alone!" Sorry I didn't put in the effort to say hello (except for your wife when she bowed out of the bull!), but so happy that you hit the park on a "perfect" day! (As October is always packed/miserable!).

Yep, my wife totally remembered you. That's freaking cool. Too bad we weren't able to connect - I would have loved to have ridden a couple coasters with you. I ran into some great people all day. There was a coaster enthusiast who rode the front row of Bizarro with me from Pennsylvania - he was there with his wife and kids, and saw the weather report and said, "I am there!" I ran into him quite a few times the 4 hours I was there.

Glad you had an awesome day - if I was in your shoes, I would have done the same thing! Being from Utah, I don't get to a lot of parks outside of Lagoon, and the West Coast parks (DLR, KBF, SFMM...) so when I travel, esp. on the East Coast, I try and hit one every now and again. It just so happens that my wife joined me this time because she had some Southwest credit that was going to expire, and we have a niece who plays collegiate soccer in NJ and she had a home game... so it all worked out.