TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

boldikus... (or anyone else for that matter...):

Sounds like the park has a great rain policy... What about wind? I'm sure they close KK for both wind and rain... but what about the other coasters (for wind...)

Looks like it is going to be a bit windy this weekend (along with the rain...)

Their general weather policy is "we don't care". Coasterbill can you chime in with your excellent riding-Nitro-in-the-sleet-and-freezing-rain story from last fall? That pretty much sums it up.

The only thing I could see winds affecting are KA and Zum because of their height, but I haven't personally experienced that. I'd love to ride Zum on a windy day, probably feels insane up there.

Their general weather policy is "we don't care". Coasterbill can you chime in with your excellent riding-Nitro-in-the-sleet-and-freezing-rain story from last fall? That pretty much sums it up.

The only thing I could see winds affecting are KA and Zum because of their height, but I haven't personally experienced that. I'd love to ride Zum on a windy day, probably feels insane up there.

Awesome... I'll just pray for no thunder and lightning, and should be good to go. I'll miss out on KK... but having it closed due to conditions will also take some of the "pressure" off of getting in line.. having it shut down... wondering if it's worth waiting, etc. when I could be re-riding El Toro over and over...

Keep an eye on Ka (its not hard to, you can see it from basically anywhere in the park) - if its generally quiet and you see if running, haul ass over there. Otherwise, just pack a poncho and be prepared to kill time in a restaurant/arcade/etc if the rains get bad and rides shut down.

Or of course you could just marathon250px-Skull_Mountain.jpg

What kind of shoes do you guys wear when stomping around in the rain all day? I'm not a sandal person and normally wear sneakers to parks. However, I firmly believe in keeping your feet dry like Lieutenant Dan in Forrest Gump. Boots seem excessive. Suggestions?

What about wind?

The only way to know for sure if the wind is a problem is to hit the dispatch button and see if the train comes back. If it does then it's not a problem. If it valleys then they'll move on to the next coaster and do the same thing and see if they get different results.

That's seriously the wind policy... It's great.

Where are the wait times in the six flags mobile app? I'm a pass holder and still can't find them anywhere.

Location Services needs to be turned on and you need to be in the park to be able to use it.

Just a quick note, I have used it 3 different times so far. Twice it hasn't worked. I believe they are still working out the kinks for a full release for next season.

Where are the wait times in the six flags mobile app? I'm a pass holder and still can't find them anywhere.

Location Services needs to be turned on and you need to be in the park to be able to use it.

Just a quick note, I have used it 3 different times so far. Twice it hasn't worked. I believe they are still working out the kinks for a full release for next season.

That's useless to me if you have to be in the park to see the wait times.

I was planning to use it to gauge what days the lines are short and worth visiting. I would visit more frequently if they let me see what the lines were like before I head to the park. I feel like it would only help to fill the park on less busy days...

What kind of shoes do you guys wear when stomping around in the rain all day? I'm not a sandal person and normally wear sneakers to parks. However, I firmly believe in keeping your feet dry like Lieutenant Dan in Forrest Gump. Boots seem excessive. Suggestions?

Timberland hiking shoes. They're made with the same materials as their boots, but they're the size and style of sneakers. Waterproof, breathable, totally awesome.

That's useless to me if you have to be in the park to see the wait times.

I was planning to use it to gauge what days the lines are short and worth visiting. I would visit more frequently if they let me see what the lines were like before I head to the park. I feel like it would only help to fill the park on less busy days...

Yes. I thought the same thing but unfortunately its true.

Just in case anyone was wondering...

We shall see.....if there is a "break" in the weather, I'll pop in for a couple of rides!

While we are on the subject- I remember being there on the Sunday before Hurricane Sandy hit. I felt stupid being there with my family (being that the state was about to get crushed with a hurricane), but it was the "last" day to get our new passes renewed/they decided to open, so we went. For the 35+ years I've been going to the park, it was by far- DEAD! Seems like this weekend could be very similar to this......

So a handful of crazy people (like myself!) ventured out to the park today (Saturday, October 3rd)....with the cold, rain and wind- no surprise the place was dead!

Here's how my day worked out today:

- I arrived around 11:30am, and there was probably no more than 40 cars in the parking lot

When I arrived at the fountain, I didn't see a soul! So I made a right turn, to head to my favorite ride in the park (Nitro):

- Batman backwards, still backwards? Sure, I'm in (last row, walk on)

- Dark Knight? why not? I never ride it, but with no one in the park, why not? The funny part was I had to wait (with 4 other people) for the pre-show....which I guess makes sense/can't be avoided, even with no crowd!

- Nitro, oh no! Saw the ride (with riders) stuck about 10 feet from the top of the lift hill! (not a great day to be stuck that high with the rain and the wind!)

- Skull Mountain walk on

- back to Nitro, and the folks who were stuck, were being led down (walking of course!) the hill

Are you serious? The sky ride is open? WTF???? Ok....I'm SO in!

- It wasn't running when I arrived, and I couldn't be it was no running!

- This was by far my highlight of the day! Yes- it was cold and rainy, and WINDY! My car was swaying back and forth! Kinda' fun/big thrill!

- When I got to the other side of the park, I heard the attendances say "oh my god, look how badly the cars are swaying up there!"

- I don't think they kept the ride up and running much longer!

El Toro:

- I've never ridden this outstanding ride in the rain, and I don't know if it was the cool temps, wet track- but riding in the back was the smoothest its' been for me in some time! (and don't jump on me for saying this- as I am not applying that it is a rough ride! Just saying how much smoother than normal it was today)

- Only one train running, which made sense!

- That said- I rode in the "magic seat" then moved up to the front on a re-ride

- Also, it was awesome to see a couple on the ride enjoying it soooooo much! They re-rode like I did, then I saw the women walkout of the station, with the guy going on again.....I told her (at the exit) that he's never coming off the ride- and she told me that they are in from Utah, and are making the best of the day!

El Diablo:

- I've never (bothered) to ride it, and figured today would be the day (as I wouldn't wait more than 30 seconds for it!)....closed! (odd right!)

Bizarro:

- Thank goodness that they only had one train running- walk-on front row

- Not sure why I never noticed before, but I found it cool to hear the "B&M" echo/roar "behind" me as we raced through the track

Runaway Train:

- Sure! Walk-on front row (they wouldn't let me go in the back, with only 5 people on the ride)

Superman:

- I never ride it, so figured why not today?

- Walk-on front row, and outside of the "signature" one-trick pony, this ride does nothing for me!

Green Lantern:

- It's is like Superman to me- no way, no interest, and why do people wait for both of these rides like they do? (Oh I know, location, location, location in the park!)

- So figured why not give it a shot today, then though better of it (I'm going out tonight, and didn't need a coaster headache all day!)

Nitro:

- At this point of the day, it was 1:30pm.....fingers crossed, Nitro is running?!?!? As I was ready for some multi-rides both front and back!

- So I walk over, and see the train that was stuck earlier, was no longer on the hill! Only to see that it was still closed!

All and all- a day like today was right up my alley! Cargo shorts, warm fleece pullover, and a knit hat- I was good to go!

I'm including (2) pictures of the parking lot (from the Superman exit) to give you an idea of how dead it was today.......

-

1003151324a.thumb.jpg.8850ca7433424b1b3808b09f6a1961be.jpg

Saturday, October 3rd- maybe 40-50 cars in the lot at 1:30pm?

1003151324d.thumb.jpg.163b4f4ca15b868fbdc86f4876994139.jpg

Saturday, October 3rd- maybe 40-50 cars in the lot at 1:30pm?

Does anyone know if Batman backwards will still be running next week? I know that it wasn't supposed to run this week but apparently it is and I was going to go next Saturday (can't wait for the crowds!) and was wondering if anyone knew if it would still be running.