TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Everything but Skull Mountain and Dark Knight will shut down in thunderstorms/lightning. Everything else EXCEPT KINGDA KA will run in rain without lightning/thunder. KK will not run any type of precipitation. On the plus side, potential rain keeps crowds light so if you want to marathon Nitro or Toro in the rain it shouldn't be a problem.

Awesome... thanks for the info, boldikus

Earlier this year at Coasters After Dark it was about 40 degrees and the park was dead so we marathoned Toro continuously for the last hour, only since it was so cold they were making everyone sit toward the front of the train for fear we would valley right before the brake run. And believe me, it felt like it could. So instead of the park saying "its really too cold to be operating this ride" they just said "f*ck it, lets run it til it valleys, if all the weight is in the front, we should be good." LOLOLOL

^Lol I was there too and I remember that. Three things that are great about this park in terms of policy are A. as previously mentioned their awesome rain policy. B. If you get back to the station and there is nobody waiting for your row you get to ride again. And C. If you get off the train and there is an empty seat somewhere else you can occupy it and ride again.

^Lol I was there too and I remember that. Three things that are great about this park in terms of policy are A. as previously mentioned their awesome rain policy. B. If you get back to the station and there is nobody waiting for your row you get to ride again. And C. If you get off the train and there is an empty seat somewhere else you can occupy it and ride again.

Can you really do C? I saw some people do it this weekend and I thought it wasn't allowed.

That will be great if it is though!

Boldikus - LOL on sitting at the front of El Toro so that/until the train valleys!!!! Love it!

Coasterbill - Yes, the wolf tour was awesome! It lasted about 45 minutes, there were 5 or 6 people in our group. I am a total animal freak and have a whole bunch of different animals myself so getting to learn about how different places care for their animals is really fascinating to me. Like any tour, the more questions you ask the better it is. The keepers explained about the location of the wolf runs, how they decide which wolves to place together, what their turnout situation is, where they get their food from, what other additives they put in the food, do they use a clicker or whistle to mark behaviors, how they come up with the names, etc. Here are my notes on the wolf groups and names as of December 2013, not 2014 like I thought:

Kitchi, Maska, & Boise

Sikko (pronounced "SEEK-oh") and Odin

Lakota, Kaya, & Beo.

They brought out some wolves and demonstrated different behaviors they were working on and practiced a new behavior with a different wolf that wasn't show-ready yet. Then we each got to go up very close to the wolves and give them a command using hand and voice signals. Mine was for the wolf to hop over some logs and run to the other side of the stage and sit on a high rock. Then I threw him some meat as a reward! We didn't get to pet them but who cares, I loved it and would do it again for sure. I've never worked with wolves (I have working line German shepherds) so it was really fun to practice with a similar yet completely different species.

My boyfriend liked the penguin tour best which is only available during Christmas Town. He's actually the one who found out about the tours and surprised me the night before with them! We originally went up just to see the lights and ride a few rides. If you haven't been, you absolutely must go. It is a really awesome event and our favorite part was actually riding the sky ride on all 3 paths around the park seeing everything from above. I know you'll appreciate that, Bill! They really have an awesome sky ride at BGW. Back to the penguins - we met with some keepers who explained all sorts of things about the penguins, taught us which flipper color band was for which penguin and at the end we got to pet, hold and pose with one!!! There was only one other couple on our tour. BGW actually had a professional photographer there who took our pictures as they were using them for advertising. So far I haven't seen my photo on any billboards but I signed my life away so that they could if they wanted to LOL. The penguins we met were Barracuda, Sammy, Tuna, Merlin, Maggie, Kermit, Yoshi, and Jordan.

They always have animals out near the wolf area at different points throughout the day for guests to pet and see. I got up close and personal with a Bald Eagle and some other cool birds that day as well. I do find that the animal staff at BGW seem to be more knowledgeable about animals than say the staff at CP, who probably like animals but may not have as much experience with them.

TL;DR - Get your asses down to BGW for Christmas Town and pet some penguins!

Rikki and I were in the area yesterday, so we visited the park for a couple hours. A couple quick notes:

- I have to say, this year was by far the smoothest season pass renewal experience yet. I LOVE that everything for next year (parking, dining plan) automatically shows up on the card versus past years where add-ons still needed additional processing. After the gate attendant told me this, I was still a bit hesitant to believe it (my dining pass didn't initially show up earlier this year and I had to jump through a couple hoops to get it rectified), so I went up to a supervisor directly inside the main gate just to confirm this was actually the case. She was VERY helpful, even scanning my pass on her computer to verify everything processed properly. So painless!

- I didn't ride much, but operations were a tad sluggish on what I did ride. Bizarro's queue weren't exactly standing around and talking, but there wasn't really any hustle in their steps either, and the third train regularly stacked on the course. Nitro's crew were a bit more distracted - they frequently were gabbing away together and lacked any real hustle. Three trains regularly stacked here, too. Skull Mountain's team were really good, though.

- We left around 5pm, so we didn't do any of the Fright Fest-related events, but I'm excited to try them out one night soon. LOVE the pumpkin man statue. It looks even better in person!

Rides (all once):

- Bizarro

- Sky Ride

- Skull Mountain

- Nitro

Can you really do C? I saw some people do it this weekend and I thought it wasn't allowed.

B and C are prehaps the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. I got 5 rides on Toro in the last row by B and got a duplicate front row ride on Nitro because of C.

So yes. C is possible.

B and C are prehaps the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. I got 5 rides on Toro in the last row by B and got a duplicate front row ride on Nitro because of C.

So yes. C is possible.

Thanks! I'll have to be on the lookout for it now! I have done B, but never C. Thanks again!

^ Keep in mind it really depends on the timing and the crew. If you're there in the middle of the day and things are crazy busy and you're on the exit platform looking for an empty seat to hop into, they'll probably kick you out. They need to go quick and they don't want stragglers hanging around.

If it's later in the day or evening, and it's a slow at the park, you can probably easily hop into empty seats.

It's also VERY important to be aware of your surroundings. I've seen people do this that are terrible at it. Like they'll hop into an empty seat of someone who went to go put their bag away and then all of a sudden they've taken someone else's seat, pulled that lap bar down and created a delay. DON'T DO THIS!!!

So yeah, it's all about time and place.

Ive both, and many times. But yeah what Robb said ^. I'll admit I almost stole someones seat who was putting their cup down once. Lesson learned and I'm much more careful about it since then. Its easy to do it when its quiet but Ive gotten away with it on busy days also. Just pay attention to others and certainly don't be an ass about it (if the crew gives you shit about, don't argue, just walk away. FYI no one has ever given me a problem, more than once Ive gotten the thumbs up and a smirk from an op when 'caught'). It's also appropriate to ask a single rider before you plop down next to them.

^ Keep in mind it really depends on the timing and the crew. If you're there in the middle of the day and things are crazy busy and you're on the exit platform looking for an empty seat to hop into, they'll probably kick you out. They need to go quick and they don't want stragglers hanging around.

If it's later in the day or evening, and it's a slow at the park, you can probably easily hop into empty seats.

It's also VERY important to be aware of your surroundings. I've seen people do this that are terrible at it. Like they'll hop into an empty seat of someone who went to go put their bag away and then all of a sudden they've taken someone else's seat, pulled that lap bar down and created a delay. DON'T DO THIS!!!

So yeah, it's all about time and place.

Very good points. I checked with the queue and ride ops first, and they gave me the clear on a busy day.

Jumping into empty seats at Great Adventure at the end of the night it when it's slow isn't just allowed, it's generally encouraged. Robb is totally right of course, some people are idiots and jump into seats where people are going to store their souvenir cups so don't do that... but the good news is since that's the only thing you're allowed to store on the platforms at Great Adventure most people do just sit down without having to worry about loose articles.

It's also appropriate to ask a single rider before you plop down next to them.

THIS! Very important! I have actually, on multiple occasions had someone who was hoping to get a good onride photo of themselves on a ride, and they didn't want a stranger in the picture. This is a totally legit excuse and we've actually done it ourselves when traveling as a family of three and you're trying to get a good photo of the three of you together. Some random person plopping down next to you after someone has just waited an hour in line and ruining the photo is sometimes not a cool thing to do.

You always ask. It's the polite thing to do.

Hey everyone. Quick question- I want to use my Six Flags season pass one more time before the end of the season and debating which park to go to this weekend. I want to get the most rides in as possible and dont' want to partake in any of the Fright Fest attractions.

Would my best bet be SFOT or SFGADV on Oct 3rd? I don't want to make a big trip and then get on 5 coasters at SFGADV... There is also an ACE event at SFOT this weekend as well. I just want to plan accordingly and know what to expect as far as the park being busy. Any suggestions or heads up as to what I should expect on a Saturday in October? Thank you in advance!!

If you decide on GreatAdv, on a Saturday in October expect crowds. Though if you get there well before opening, get at the front of the gates before they open and wait it out you can potentially get in quickly, run to the heavy hitters (Toro, Zum, KK, then Skyway to Nitro) and get them out of the way and work your way around to the 2nd tier (Skull Mountain, Batman, Bizarro, etc). The key during fright fest is to get there early as you possibly can and take advantage of the light crowds early in the day. If you go in afternoon or evening unless you get a gold or platinum fast pass, you will be looking at lines. And not just lines for the coasters, we're talking lines to get into parking. Like hour long waits just to park. Early early early in the day is your only bet to avoid any of that.