TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I have a question about one of the fright trails at Great Adventure. I go to fright fest every year, but I've never gone through ASYLUM because the line is ridiculous. I hear it's the best one so I decided I'll just wait it out this year. Is it an actual maze or "labyrinth" that you have to get through, or is it just one path that you follow?

I have a question about one of the fright trails at Great Adventure. I go to fright fest every year, but I've never gone through ASYLUM because the line is ridiculous. I hear it's the best one so I decided I'll just wait it out this year. Is it an actual maze or "labyrinth" that you have to get through, or is it just one path that you follow?

Also how is the new 3D forgotten circus maze?

Asylum is a linear walkthrough. Just 1 path can be taken. It is pretty good, but I prefered wasteland and voodoo island last year.

Howdy, all

I will be heading to SFGAdv for the first time on Saturday, October 3rd (in a little over a week). We are planning on getting there prior to the park opening, and staying until about 4pm or so, until we head to the airport for our flight back west.

I posted a message a couple of weeks ago, and appreciate the feedback... but was curious if there's any further tips from all of you that are very familiar with the park. I realize the park will be very crowded, so I'll try and maximize my few hours there as much as possible... and outside of getting credits on as many coasters as I can, I really do want to focus on El Toro, Nitro and at least one ride on Kingda Ka while I'm there... with the potential for Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Bizarro and Skull Mtn if the lines are manageable.

I plan on arriving at 10:30 (for an 11am park opening...) Is that too early, or will crowds already begin to descend prior to that time?

Also - has anyone purchased discount tickets using the Coasters for a Cause promo code? We are not season pass holders, so I'm looking for a potential promotional discount, and this looks legit - just wanted to make sure before I purchase. It appears to be accepted on the six flags website.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

10:30 is definitely an ideal arrival time. If it hasn't been mentioned yet make a bee like to Kingda Ka to have any chance of a reasonable wait. If it's less than about 10 trains for the front do that, it's worth the extra time for this coaster only.

After this ahead to El Toro and get as many laps as possible before the lines get long. Even though the crew has been pretty good this year it can get a very hefty line in the afternoon.

After this youve knocked out the two "must-rides" for first time visitors, and can enjoy riding whatever else you like until you leave.

If you're so inclined (which you should be), take a ride on Zumanjaro, whether that's befween Ka and Toro or sometime later.

Have a great time!

^I've done both options and have had great success doing both. However, for me at least, I find that having Ka out of the way allows me not to stress about how crowded the park may be and how long Ka's line will be.

For this reason, I like to get Ka out of the way, even it starts the day running tests for 20-30 minutes. El Toro has no line until at least 45 minutes after opening no matter what, so getting half a dozen rides in after Ka is definitely reasonable in 30-45 minutes.

As I said it's also no stress as you'll have Ka done and can can try to comprehend how amazing El Toro is in the last two rows.

Of course it's totally up to you in the end but both are highly recommended if you want Ka and re-rides on El Toro.

And ride Kingda Ka in the front. Another reason to go there first--five train wait or less for the front now, 90 minutes later.

10:30 is definitely an ideal arrival time. If it hasn't been mentioned yet make a bee like to Kingda Ka to have any chance of a reasonable wait. If it's less than about 10 trains for the front do that, it's worth the extra time for this coaster only.

After this ahead to El Toro and get as many laps as possible before the lines get long. Even though the crew has been pretty good this year it can get a very hefty line in the afternoon.

After this youve knocked out the two "must-rides" for first time visitors, and can enjoy riding whatever else you like until you leave.

If you're so inclined (which you should be), take a ride on Zumanjaro, whether that's befween Ka and Toro or sometime later.

Have a great time!

This is spot on... ride one row from the back on El Toro. Lines for the back rows are always shorter and it's the best seat. I'd suggest taking a ride on Ka, then El Toro, Bizarro because it's right there and won't have a line (back row is the best and it won't have a longer wait than the other rows), then take the Skyway to Nitro (the Skyway probably won't have a line yet... if it does just walk since you're in a time crunch but if it's a short wait it's faster). Ride the Runaway Train before getting on the Skyway if you care. Then hit Skull Mountain quick, it won't have a line and it's right there... then go to Nitro.

After that if you have time you can pick between Superman which is mediocre and has a line that never moves, Green Lantern which is a terrible ride, Batman the Dark Knight which is worth it if the line isn't long and Batman which is a great coaster. Beware though, it should be running forwards by then but make sure it's running 2 trains before getting in line. It's very likely that it won't be. If it's going backwards it will definitely have 1 train ops.

Of course after Nitro depending on how much of a credit whore you are the best option might be to just go back to El Toro and marathon it, though I would suggest riding Batman if it's running 2 trains and you haven't ridden a Batman clone previously (as a side not I firmly believe that Batman is the best steel coaster in the park but as I'm in the minority I'm not letting my opinion get in the way here because if I did I'd tell you to ride that before Nitro... Batman is criminally underrated though, most likely because it's a clone).

PS: Also use common sense with Ka. Keep in mind that it's a great ride but above all else it's an unreliable POS. If you don't see it testing at any point while you're parking the car, walking to the gate or walking through the boardwalk just go to El Toro first. Also, consult a map because the layout of the Golden Kingdom and Plaza De Carnival area is asinine if you're not familiar with it.

If you have a Discover card there is a separate ticket entrance gate with a much shorter line. If you can borrow a Discover Card from a friend do it to save some time and make for a better start to the day..

Edited by larrygator

Have a great time!

This is spot on... ride one row from the back on El Toro. Lines for the back rows are always shorter and it's the best seat. I'd suggest taking a ride on Ka, then El Toro, Bizarro because it's right there and won't have a line (back row is the best and it won't have a longer wait than the other rows), then take the Skyway to Nitro (the Skyway probably won't have a line yet... if it does just walk since you're in a time crunch but if it's a short wait it's faster). Ride the Runaway Train before getting on the Skyway if you care. Then hit Skull Mountain quick, it won't have a line and it's right there... then go to Nitro.

After that if you have time you can pick between Superman which is mediocre and has a line that never moves, Green Lantern which is a terrible ride, Batman the Dark Knight which is worth it if the line isn't long and Batman which is a great coaster. Beware though, it should be running forwards by then but make sure it's running 2 trains before getting in line. It's very likely that it won't be. If it's going backwards it will definitely have 1 train ops.

Of course after Nitro depending on how much of a credit whore you are the best option might be to just go back to El Toro and marathon it, though I would suggest riding Batman if it's running 2 trains and you haven't ridden a Batman clone previously (as a side not I firmly believe that Batman is the best steel coaster in the park but as I'm in the minority I'm not letting my opinion get in the way here because if I did I'd tell you to ride that before Nitro... Batman is criminally underrated though, most likely because it's a clone).

PS: Also use common sense with Ka. Keep in mind that it's a great ride but above all else it's an unreliable POS. If you don't see it testing at any point while you're parking the car, walking to the gate or walking through the boardwalk just go to El Toro first. Also, consult a map because the layout of the Golden Kingdom and Plaza De Carnival area is asinine if you're not familiar with it.

This is all great advice. I would add that you should squeeze Zumanjaro in there, you can probably get on with little wait between Ka and Toro. But DON'T bother with the single rider line on this, not worth it in the slightest. If you wind up going to Toro first you can cut back there quickly through the arcade next to the tea cups in Fantasy Forst - helps you avoid going around into the boardwalk area to get back into Plaza Del Carnival. 2nd to last seat on Toro. Always. Toro never gets a line for the 45mins to first hour after park opens. Re-rides a plenty if you come here first or get Ka/Zum out of the way quickly.

Alternately, If you do Ka/Zum first, check on your way out of Golden Kingdom to see if Safari Discoveries is open, it might not be but has been lately. This cuts all the way through some animal exhibits and lets you out right in front of Toro. Saves a good 5-10 minutes of walking into and around the boardwalk.

Also, while its nice in the back, Bizarro is also great in the front (the floorless aspect is amplified in the front) and the lines are never long so it worth an extra 2/3 train wait IMO.

Ride RMT if it doesnt have a line, its usually not a bad wait at all. If you have a soft spot for mine trains, its one of the best. Listen to Bill and do the Skyway for the views and shortcut across the park. The line shouldnt be bad on that side that early in the day. Right when you get off Skyway, ride Skull Mountain. Underrated junior coaster. Silly and ridiculous and fun. I call it the Disney ride gone wrong. Back row for a really insane pop of airtime over the drop.

Nitro might have a little wait at this point but keep in mind if there are three trains its the type of queue that never stops moving. Total people eater. My favorite seat is the back row right side. Ride Batman if you can. As stated the one train thing has been going the last few weeks while its still running backwards but if the line starts just outside the tunnel it shouldn't be too long. Its worth the wait. Ride it whether its backwards or forward.

Dark Knight is a mouse in a box and the preshow is cool but the ride is a letdown, the effects arent always working. Not worth any wait if you ask me and if you are on a time crunch skip skip skip. If Skyscreamer doesnt have a line, try it. Fun.

As for Superman or Green Lantern, yes as Bill said GL is awful and not worth any kind of wait and Superman is fun but usually has a decent wait. Crews and loading are always slow. Worth a wait if you haven't done a B&M flyer - the pretzel loop is one of the most unique and intense elements on any ride in the park.

Looking for foods? Try the new bar/mexican joint Macho Nacho next to El Toro. Super good.

Regarding the Coasters for a Cause discount, I have used it myself and used it for friends.

That's all I got. Have fun!

^

Superman is really just about the loop for me, the rest of the ride just meanders around but its comfortable, smooth, enjoyable and nothing like that pretzel loop in the park. GL has a great drop and first loop then it just pummels my temples and ears the remainder of the ride. Will admit the nice pop of stand up air off the MCBR is cool.

If either is less than 15 minutes it is absolutely worth a ride. Green Lantern, if ridden correctly, is incredibly smooth for a stand-up and fairly smooth for a multi looper in general. The main issue I have with this ride is all the blood rushing to my feet which becomes very uncomfortable by the end of the ride. It's almost like they pushed the stand-up gimmick just a little too far for the technology available at the time.

As for Superman, its line is very deceiving and never moves, as coasterbill mentioned. The pretzel loop is very cool and never makes me nauseous, but the rest of the ride is incredibly boring and you shouldn't give up any El Toro or Nitro re-rides waiting for it.

If you've run out of the top tier rides to ride (or re-ride) by the end of your visit and they have short waits (which they probably won't), go for it and use Green Lantern's single rider line. Otherwise, the time is better spent waiting for another lap on El Toro.

Then again, almost any time is better spent waiting for El Toro. Huh.

...Superman is really just about the loop for me, the rest of the ride just meanders around but its comfortable, smooth, enjoyable and nothing like that pretzel loop in the park...

I agree with this 100%. Superman is worth the ride just for the pretzel loop alone. The ride is not a "bad" ride, but after the loop it is pretty boring. It's worth a ride at least once for the pretzel loop itself. Especially if you have never been on a B&M Flyer with a pretzel loop before!!

^^ Since you're not a SF passholder just want to make sure you are aware of Great Adventures fantastic re-ride policy. If you go to El Toro in the morning first and its quiet which it should be, stay in your seat if there is no one in your row, and if there is look and see if there are any other seats open. Even other single riders. Ive asked if I can hop in and gotten immediate rerides that way. They will let you stay in your seat always as long as no one is waiting. You can really marathon Toro pretty nicely early in the mornings. This really goes for any ride, I've done the empty seat hopping a bunch on Nitro too.

I'd save Nitro for later. A great thing about it is that you never have to worry about it breaking down, and if it has a long line. Definitely do Ka first though, as you really never know what it is with that thing. I'd do El Toro immediately after, as it's line is completely nonexistent for the first 30-45 minutes of the day. Also, do ^that (what Boldikus said). I've heard of people getting 5+ consecutive rides on a crowded day just because of this rule. I wish the CF parks did it too but unfortunately even if the station is empty they make you walk all the way back through the line.

With the big 3 out of the way, I'd squeeze Zumanjaro somewhere in there, either before or after Ka. If you want to do some of the loopers I'd do Bizarro (which almost never has a line because of it's location), Batman (which might, depending on the train situation), Superman (really long line but the Pretzel Loop is intense as heck so that might/almost might validate the wait), or if you absolutely must, Green Lantern ( which reasonable line, great first drop, great first half, and the drop out of the MCBR gives you a nice pop of floater. That's where it ends. The rest includes headbanging, pain in general, pain in your feet/legs because of the g's being focused there, and more. I personally avoid it but it's up to you.

Oh, and Skull Mountain is definitely a hidden gem; most people skip it but in the back it can be really fun. The first drop is ridiculous because you get absolutely dragged over it. Worth it if you have the time

Thanks again... this is awesome advice.

If I see KK testing, I'll probably head to that first. If not, I'll head to El Toro... and great advice on the re-ride policy which I was not aware of.

I've been on GL when it was Chang years ago - so I may skip that, although if it's not a long line, I may jump on just for nostalgia's sake... (although I don't remember it being rough in the mid-90's - I guess it hasn't aged well, as most B&M stand-ups seem to do...)

I've been on Batman: TR several times in other parks, and love it, so I'm hoping for at least one ride on that. So I guess it's confirmed that it will NOT be backwards for Fright Fest?

I'd also like to get on Superman, although I've been on Tatsu, so I've experienced a massive pretzel loop - perhaps the most intense element I've experienced on any coaster. I'd love to ride it just for that... but I'll take all your advice on a slow-moving line and plan accordingly.

Looking forward to a great day...

I've been on Batman: TR several times in other parks, and love it, so I'm hoping for at least one ride on that. So I guess it's confirmed that it will NOT be backwards for Fright Fest?

Supposedly, this is the final weekend of Namtab, after which they're going to be turning the trains around. But, it was originally scheduled to happen Labor Day, and they extended it due to high demand, so maybe you will be lucky in October? Maybe?

If either is less than 15 minutes it is absolutely worth a ride. Green Lantern, if ridden correctly, is incredibly smooth for a stand-up and fairly smooth for a multi looper in general. The main issue I have with this ride is all the blood rushing to my feet which becomes very uncomfortable by the end of the ride. It's almost like they pushed the stand-up gimmick just a little too far for the technology available at the time.

Not directed at you, PW121- I just don't think you need to ride Green Lantern "the right way" to enjoy it any more than you would any other coaster- you'll be fine if you can keep your eyes open and remain somewhat cognizant of the ride's layout as you go. Avoid sitting on the bicycle seat as if you are riding a bicycle if you're a dude- but these things should go without saying.

I'm convinced that some people blindfold themselves and let their body go completely limp the moment they board B&M Stand-Up coaster and then go on the internet to whine about how bad they are. These people should consider putting on a brightly colored helmet and safety mittens before leaving the house every day. Getting hit by the train itself couldn't be as bad as how some people make these rides out to be.

You can't read 10 posts on the internet about B&M today without running into a forceless complaint- all of the Stand-Ups B&M built were designed before they started mixing vagisil into the ink they print their blueprints with. They're consistently intense rides along the lines of the majority of their inverts and their first-gen sitdown loopers.