TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

For those complaining about capacity, Everland is 16th in the world for attendance and since T Express can be reservation only on weekends, that only leaves a 1 train operated arrow coaster to soak up the other thrill seekers in the park and we manage just fine.

Seriously I feel like the difference between "acceptable wait-times" is so low for some people because there's so much choice to spread out crowds that they expect queues to be suited to their tolerances and so the ride has to be a "people eater"

Exactly. People are so hung up on a "number" that they have stopped looking at real-life examples, like Superman at Discovery Kingdom, Tempesto at BGW, and Batman at Fiesta Texas. All rides where people bitched up a storm about "capacity" for months before the ride opened, threw around numbers and then what happened? Oh, look, the ride opened and the lines weren't that long and no one was complaining.

I'm just sick of it. I'd rather NOT have these people on our forums than have to read garbage because some people think they know better. Thank you Garet for at least having a sensible post!

Edited by robbalvey

In other Lakefront-related news, Harry over at GAHistory provided some more detail on landscaping in the area.

By the way, the Great Lake Grandstand site will be naturally landscaped with tiered levels to offer wonderful views of the lake. Even today with the piles of rubble still there, the view of the water from the surrounding areas is already a great improvement.

In other Lakefront-related news, Harry over at GAHistory provided some more detail on landscaping in the area.

By the way, the Great Lake Grandstand site will be naturally landscaped with tiered levels to offer wonderful views of the lake. Even today with the piles of rubble still there, the view of the water from the surrounding areas is already a great improvement.

Anything to enhance the waterfront, is a WIN in my book!

You are welcome to your own opinion, but so am I. And in my opinion, people who are complaining about this are self-entitled, obnoxious, stupid coaster enthusiasts that I wish weren't part of our community.

There's more to it than that though, especially with GADV. This is what the park has done in the past 8 years:

Removed:

Removed Chiller

Removed GASM

Removed Rolling Thunder

Closed off entire section of the park past chiller, which put other flats out of commission while they also removed the Intamin 1st Gen Freefall

Some rides that were removed (Chaos) were changed to smoking sections rather than replaced with new rides

Removed the giant Teepee

Added:

The Dark Knight - indoor wild mouse

The Green Lantern - relocated standup coaster

Bizzaro - Medusa is repainted and some of the theming is literally turned upside down, sometimes they turn the fire on too

Zumanjaro - Drop tower added to the side of already-built Kingda Ka

Safari RIde - The park changed the already existing safari into one that leaves through controlled vehicle from the park and billed it as a new ride. There was an outpost stop added with an upcharged zipline. They didn't add the monkeys back.

Larson loop bulled as a coaster

S&S 4D coaster that isn't as good as the Intamin version (yes I've ridden both). The capacity and waits for the SFFT version were consistently horrible.

That's off the top of my head, sure I've missed something but hopefully not that major. I personally have not bought a SF season pass because I haven't had a reason to go back to GADV (I live in NYC) in the past 3 years and I only go to 1 or 2 other SF parks each summer. My GP friends don't ever feel compelled to go back, usually the saying is "maybe if they add a new big ride, it'll be worth the lines and admission price". When have you last felt compelled to go back to GADV Rob? Do you want to NJ for this ride? Yes there's obviously a lot of investment that was put into the park prior to these past 8 years but really nothing great has been done since Obama's been in office (must be his fault ).

I personally get my fair share of credits from travelling for work and then staying a few extra days to go to parks like SFFT, Alton Towers and Thorpe, BGT, etc. And I do one day want to go back and relive Nitro and El Toro and Ka. But to see what's been added to the park recently, or lack thereof, has just been disappointing considering what parks like SFMM and SFGA receive, and everybody here would agree that GADV was once grouped with those parks in terms of SF money allotment. That they have to tear down an entire waterfront theater space for a ride that has a smaller footprint than a Togo heartline twister also confuses me.

Here's to hoping for those dueling launched wingriders that reuse Chiller's station, theme to Batman vs. Superman, and dominate that aforementioned closed off area of the park in two years I guess...

How many other SF parks have 5 B&Ms, a giant Intamin Accelerator, an El Toro, and now a 4D coaster with nothing but good reviews? I don't know how long you've been a coaster enthusiast, but after a year you should learn that waiting in line is inevitable. There are two simple ways to avoid lines, but there are downsides.

1. Buy Flash Pass or that park's equivalent. Downside: It costs quite a few dollars.

2. Make Dorney your home park. Downside: Dorney will be your home park.

I'll be honest, I was slightly disappointed when I found out that they were getting the smaller model. After 10s of seconds of thinking, I became very excited for this addition.

This thread is enough for me to never come back to this forum again. The level of vitriol directed towards people with perfectly valid complaints against this new ride is just so completely beyond anything resembling respectable behavior that I'm honestly shocked. And I've been reading this forum for upwards of three years now (I know, not very long compared to many of you) and I didn't think it was still possible for me to be shocked.

[quoteAdded:

The Dark Knight - indoor wild mouse

The Green Lantern - relocated standup coaster

Bizzaro - Medusa is repainted and some of the theming is literally turned upside down, sometimes they turn the fire on too

Zumanjaro - Drop tower added to the side of already-built Kingda Ka

Safari RIde - The park changed the already existing safari into one that leaves through controlled vehicle from the park and billed it as a new ride. There was an outpost stop added with an upcharged zipline. They didn't add the monkeys back.

Larson loop bulled as a coaster

S&S 4D coaster that isn't as good as the Intamin version (yes I've ridden both). The capacity and waits for the SFFT version were consistently horrible.]

There are alot of parks that would kill for one of those rides in that same span of time. A huge drop tower, super loop, and 3 coasters isnt to shabby. Some of you people crack me up

This thread is enough for me to never come back to this forum again. The level of vitriol directed towards people with perfectly valid complaints against this new ride is just so completely beyond anything resembling respectable behavior that I'm honestly shocked. And I've been reading this forum for upwards of three years now (I know, not very long compared to many of you) and I didn't think it was still possible for me to be shocked.

Just don't have an opinion that is different than anyone else's ... and if you do, just don't voice your opinion and you'll be fine. At least... this is what I'm learning.

Right!! But this happens every year when announcements come out. I think it's just the nerd nature of coaster enthusiasts to argue and bicker over the dumbest shit. I'll stick to lurking around here and laughing at the arguments.

Just don't have an opinion that is different than anyone else's ... and if you do, just don't voice your opinion and you'll be fine. At least... this is what I'm learning.

I don't want to speak for anyone but I honestly think the problem is that people don't read a few pages back on a hot thread and that causes the frustration and the angry responses.

For example... the capacity thing. Someone mentioned it and it was addressed. And then it was mentioned again, and again, and again and again and that's what leads to types of responses that people are getting. The problem isn't that people have differing opinions, it's that people don't go back and read and it frustrates the people who have been reading the thread or people that moderate the site and have read everything because they basically have to in order to moderate it.

I'm not intending to speak for anyone of course but that's what it seems like to me so I understand where everyone's coming from.

I don't want to speak for anyone but I honestly think the problem is that people don't read a few pages back on a hot thread and that causes the frustration and the angry responses.

For example... the capacity thing. Someone mentioned it and it was addressed. And then it was mentioned again, and again, and again and again and that's what leads to types of responses that people are getting. The problem isn't that people have differing opinions, it's that people don't go back and read and it frustrates the people who have been reading the thread or people that moderate the site and have read everything because they basically have to in order to moderate it.

I'm not intending to speak for anyone of course but that's what it seems like to me so I understand where everyone's coming from.

This! Plus people are waaaaaay to sensitive on here.

Disclaimer! You need a sense of humor to view our site,

if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!

Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!

There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."

Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age

On the contrary, this thread / site is what helps restore my faith in some aspects of the coaster / theme park community. When I visit some of GAdv's other fansites and Facebook groups, it's usually full of these completely asinine, self-entitled, uninformed comments and arguments. I'm thrilled that there's at least ONE place out there that will call these people on their BS and aim for quality. I personally don't understand why webmasters of some of these other sites, many of whom I know don't agree with these comments, continue to let them poison their forums / news feeds.

Besides, it's not about contrary opinions. It's about opinions unsupported by rational arguments or facts. For example:

- It's perfectly okay to prefer B&M on this site over Intiman.

- It's perfectly okay to prefer floater airtime over ejector airtime on this site.

- It's perfectly okay to prefer Universal over Disney on this site.

- It's perfectly okay to prefer credit whoring instead of riding more selectively.

BUT SUPPORT THESE OPINIONS WITH RATIONAL ARGUMENTS THAT ARE SUPPORTED BY FACTS.

Coasterbill displayed it earlier perfectly with his "capacity" example.