TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I'm not going to claim to know what is best for the park economically or in any other way. But I will say from my enthusiast perspective, I hope that SFGAdv doesn't build a an S&S 4D coaster. I say this not because of capacity, or any other logistical issue, it's purely because I don't think the one at SFFT is any fun. I simply did not enjoy that coaster and I wouldn't want a park with such a great line up of coasters have to wait even more time before building a coaster I'd return for. Call me selfish, sure, but it's my honest opinion.

Separately, I have reason to believe that although a single S&S 4D coaster will be built in the chain next year, it won't be for this park. We will see in one week though.

I have reason to believe that although a single S&S 4D coaster will be built in the chain next year, it won't be for this park. We will see in one week though.

If you don't mind my asking, why? To me it seems like the 4D is a slam dunk guarantee for the park. But I don't have inside sources or anything; I'm just going off the long-standing rumour and the surveys I was sent.

SFGAdv hasn't added a new $10 million dollar coaster in almost ten years. If another one were added next year, that could not in any universe be described as "frequent". And if you're talking about Six Flags as an entire chain, just look at what Cedar Fair has been adding the past decade then describe to me how that statement makes any sense. Also, how is wanting a ride more exciting than a free spin wanting what's best for me and not the majority of the customer base? I think it's a fair assumption that the majority of the costumer base likes roller coasters.

Just because Green Lantern...

a) Was relocated from another park and not built from scratch on special order for Great Adventure*

b) May be a coaster type that you're not fond of*

...does not change the fact that it is a giant roller coaster (the majority of the customer base likes roller coasters) that was added 4 years ago.

*I assume one or both of these are the reason you failed to mention it.

Prior to it's installation in New Jersey, Chang was being relocated to SFGAm, where the park had already secured the necessary permits and zoning requirements to build it. Plans changed, Chang went to GAdv, and GAm got more garbage for their waterpark instead. I'm still a bit chapped about how that ended up, especially because SFGAm axed their B&M Standup shortly after this transpired.

I think he didn't mention it because it doesn't appeal to the GP now. All the times I've been to the park it's been a walk on or at most a station wait. But I think that we deserve more than a Free Spin. El Diablo cost I believe $1 million but maybe more. Yes Zumanjaro went over budget, but one can assume since that was over a year ago, the park rebounded. All the coasters added after El Toro have lost popularity. It should be time we get a custom major roller coatser. It's not out of selfishness that enthusiasts want this, it's that we are one of the flagship parks in the chain and arguably the standout park on the east coast. For SFGAM to get two thrilling custom coasters two years apart and we have not gotten one in a decade is a little frustrating.

How is Zumanjaro compared to other drop rides? I might make a visit to SFGAdv sometime this year or early next year, and I've heard varying reviews of Zumanjaro. How intense is it compared to the drop towers at KI or KD?

Much less intense, but the height is what gets you. It's just crazy-tall, and you can tell the difference when you're up there.

How is Zumanjaro compared to other drop rides? I might make a visit to SFGAdv sometime this year or early next year, and I've heard varying reviews of Zumanjaro. How intense is it compared to the drop towers at KI or KD?

Physically? Not intense at all. On a mental level? If you have a fear of heights I'd say very intense. The drop is looooong yet somehow almost floaty compared to other drop towers. I can't say it really gives me any noticeable or significant airtime. Demon Drop and even Dominator @ Dorney are both more intense in terms of force and airtime.

But overall Zumanjaro is great, a definite 'must-do', and personally my favorite ride in the park after Toro and Nitro. I love taking people on who are reluctant to ride. The views are incredible and the mindf*ck of being that high is really something else.

I have reason to believe that although a single S&S 4D coaster will be built in the chain next year, it won't be for this park. We will see in one week though.

If you don't mind my asking, why? To me it seems like the 4D is a slam dunk guarantee for the park. But I don't have inside sources or anything; I'm just going off the long-standing rumour and the surveys I was sent.

Just a rumor I read a while ago. I read that Six Flags was deciding between SFA and SFOG. I know SFA is supposed to get a waterpark something, so we will see.

Having never ridden a 4D before, I have to ask, why the general hate directed towards them?

Ignorance. People don't understand that SF can not add $10 million dollar coaster with frequency and remain fiscally responsible.

Selfishness. People only think about what is best for them, not the majority of the customer base.

SFGAdv hasn't added a new $10 million dollar coaster in almost ten years. If another one were added next year, that could not in any universe be described as "frequent". And if you're talking about Six Flags as an entire chain, just look at what Cedar Fair has been adding the past decade then describe to me how that statement makes any sense. Also, how is wanting a ride more exciting than a free spin wanting what's best for me and not the majority of the customer base? I think it's a fair assumption that the majority of the costumer base likes roller coasters.

SFGAdv is a dirty, poorly-run park with virtually no charm or atmosphere, with theming that is built and then largely left to rot. The only thing it's ever had over other amusement parks in this part of the country is awesome roller coasters. It's not unreasonable to want them to continue delivering in the one and only aspect in which they've ever excelled.

My comment regards SF adding a $10 million dollar coasters, not SFGAdv.

Please list the $10 million installations for Cedar Fair and Six Flags for the past decade and I will explain why it makes sense.

Cedar Fair is more fiscally responsible when you look at their income and revenue based on season pass prices. Since CF has more income they can spend more on capital improvements.

I have ridden a Free Spin and it is an exciting coaster. The people waiting in line with me at SFFT agreed. Many were re-riding it or riding it based on recommendations from friends. It might not be the biggest and longest coaster but it is exciting and for 99% of SFGadv guests it will be a new experience. I never said the SFGAdv customer base doesn't like roller coasters. When I see consistently longer lines for S:UF, Green Lantern and Kingda Ka versus El Toro I don't see the thoughts of the general public synced with an enthusiast who prefers El Toro.

^ Yeah I'd love to see 30 million dollar giga coasters added to every single SF park in the next 5 years.

in the park there is nitro, the best b & m mega coaster and you want a big ?? no no no . let the giga coaster at cedar fair

^ Yeah I'd love to see 30 million dollar giga coasters added to every single SF park in the next 5 years.

in the park there is nitro, the best b & m mega coaster and you want a big ?? no no no . let the giga coaster at cedar fair

1.) What are you even trying to say, I can't decipher this dialect...

2.) Judging by your signature, you've probably never ridden either of the B&M gigas. If you had ridden Fury 325, I'm sure you would want one at SFGAdv, as opposed to this 4d/freespin...

2.) Judging by your signature, you've probably never ridden either of the B&M gigas. If you had ridden Fury 325, I'm sure you would want one at SFGAdv, as opposed to this 4d/freespin...

I've never ridden a jig, but the drop in part, what is the difference?

I've never ridden a jig, but the drop in part, what is the difference?

Seeing this response is only made funnier by that picture. Seriously hilarious

Has anyone been to the park lately? I'm thinking of going in the next couple days to get as many rides in as humanly possible before school starts and screws up everything. I heard some of the other SF parks (especially SFMM) has been a ghost town lately so I'm assuming the park will be dead. I hope the coasters will be walk-ons, that's what I like to see!

Man, the void of hints and teasers has really started to get to our heads. This secret is so well kept that, other than a survey sent to every park in the chain, have no indication what-so-ever of what we will be getting.

But hey, speculation is one of the most fun parts of being an enthusiast. That said, I'd like to point out that full throttle's station to tophat exit is 433ft (measured by google maps). Guess how long the stretch from the festival stage along the lake front is?

433.thumb.png.3aae48945e726cacc78192a6c290c50f.png

approximately 433ft. Premier launch coaster through the log flume peninsula confirmed. Bring in the dancing lobsters.

Being a major aesthetic lover when it comes to roller coasters, I think the biggest reason I'm still hoping the 2016 GAdv addition is not an S&S Free Spin, is because of that prime lakefront location. I'd have no qualms with that type of coaster back in the old B&R location, or elsewhere in the park. But with that lakefront, and also the forested log flume island, a larger, more terrain interactive coaster would be lovely there! I don't think this is coming, but a launched B&M Wing Coaster would be amazing back in that area! That would definitely draw me out to visit my Jersey relatives again next year! Being realistic, a Premier launched coaster like YOLO would still be an upgrade over a Free Spin there, and could utilize terrain. So I guess that's what I'm hoping for at this point. Make no mistake, though, I think an S&S Free Spin looks fun, and I look forward to riding one someday. Just hopefully not there at GAdv, on the waterfront!

fury 325 = waste of money

How exactly is it a waste of money? It is expensive, but it's also a 6,600 foot long B&M. In my opinion, it's a little overhyped, but it is in no way a waste of money. If you look at the parks that have a B&M hyper and giga, you might notice something. It was said when Leviathan was announced. It was said when Fury 325 was announced. I'll rephrase it for you. The two coasters are focused on different things. Intimidator at Carowinds is mainly about the airtime. Fury 325 is mainly about high speed turns. You may notice the difference... when you ride the two roller coasters. A park could have as many B&M hypers as they want, and as long as the focus on each one is different, the only people complaining will be the GP noticing that a park has many 200 foot coasters with the same track and trains and spoiled enthusiasts wanting their [insert Enthusiast Pipe Dream]. I understand why someone would dislike Fury 325, but telling everyone you think it shouldn't exist with every post you make, that's something Nina Kleppe doesn't like.

I understand why someone would dislike Fury 325

I'm glad someone understands because in the words of the great Terry Crews that ride blew my mind right in front of my face. Everyone's entitled to their opinion but I don't get what anyone could dislike about Fury.

Anyway, sorry I've now contributed to pulling this topic way off course.