TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Guys why wouldn't you want a 4D free spin? SFGAdv already has 5 B&Ms, there isn't a single 4D coaster on the east coast, the one at SFFT got really good reviews, not to mention this one will be a much bigger version... I don't get why y'all are complaining. It's not like they're getting a ZacSpin or a Sky Rocket clone.

Guys why wouldn't you want a 4D free spin? SFGAdv already has 5 B&Ms, there isn't a single 4D coaster on the east coast, the one at SFFT got really good reviews, not to mention this one will be a much bigger version... I don't get why y'all are complaining. It's not like they're getting a ZacSpin or a Sky Rocket clone.

I'm not so sure about that. At first all I heard was people loving the ride. Now it's about 50/50. Some people think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and some say it is extremely painful and horrible. These are great additions for smaller parks, but GAdv deserves better.

I just think that it comes down to this; When you wait 10 years for a new rollercoaster as an enthusiast, you want the new addition to be this new custom layout, huge ride. Not an expanded version of something that was already added at a smaller park. Rightfully so, but you have to remember many things go into the decision behind closed doors that we do not know about.

^ ^ I don't think its so much "better" as much as "BIGGER" and by that I don't mean literally just something that will make a big splash. I mean for starters the chains slogan is "GO BIG!" and the park itself has the tallest (and 2nd fastest) coaster in the world, tallest drop ride, the number 1 woodie, and one of the best hypers ever built. Not to mention the first floorless, one of the tallest standups, a huge star flyer, SORA, etc etc etc.

And we got a Super Loop last year.

A free spin, even this so called larger model, just doesn't scream "GO BIG! GO SIX FLAGS!", "BIGGEST THEME PARK IN THE WORLD!", "HUGE AMAZING PARK TO RIDE THE CRAZIEST RIDES EVAAAR!" to me. It seems like a good fit for the 2nd tier of SF parks, but not for what should be a big year for one of the chains flagship parks. And certainly not for the space its going in - a centerpiece attraction right at the end of Main Street in front of their newly cleared out and spruced up lakefront.

What I have against the Free Spin is the fact that we got El Diablo this past year. All that it does is go upside down a bunch of times. While it is a fun ride, for me, it's a one and done thing for me. If the rumors are true and we get the 4D free spin, then it's basically the same thing as last year's addition, though instead of going in a loop you're just flipping upside down a bunch of times. While I don't necessarily have the idea of getting a Free Spin, I think we should probably get something new and different to compliment our current lineup instead, and then get a free spin a few years from now. I mean, as others have said, it wi have been 10 years since our last major coaster, and while I would gladly take the 10-year wait in exchange for an Intamin prefab, it is time for a new coaster, and it should definitely be more than the go-upside-down-a-bunch-of-times gimmick.

I'm just saying, a low capacity ride like that so close to the entrance does not sound like a good idea to me. Superman has decent capacity as a B&M but because of its location it constantly has a long wait. Now take that factor and apply it to a low capacity ride and you're looking at enormous lines at all times for many years. It just doesn't seem like a good fit at all, but it's most likely

A free spin, even this so called larger model, just doesn't scream "GO BIG! GO SIX FLAGS!", "BIGGEST THEME PARK IN THE WORLD!", "HUGE AMAZING PARK TO RIDE THE CRAZIEST RIDES EVAAAR!" to me. It seems like a good fit for the 2nd tier of SF parks, but not for what should be a big year for one of the chains flagship parks. And certainly not for the space its going in - a centerpiece attraction right at the end of Main Street in front of their newly cleared out and spruced up lakefront.

See, to me, it DOES scream "GO BIG". SFFT's Batman had some of the most widespread coverage across news sites and social media I've ever seen during the last offseason. I can't tell you how many of my non-coaster junkie friends and family members shared articles of the announcement online or brought it up in conversations. It offers such a new and unique experience (in the general public's eyes, at least) that I can't imagine SFGAdv wouldn't have success from adding one, though I'd certainly hope for the larger model.

I can understand an enthusiast being disappointed that we'd not get the next big bad addition, but I don't understand how that trumps the "what's best for the park" perspective. Here would be something that would get the public talking as well as revitalize an area of the park that has been absolutely dead for almost ten years. That's perfectly fine in my book.

Edited by michaellynn4

I know the chances are slim but my thought process as of late has me thinking, could we see two new coasters being built in a very close proximity of time? The park has been sending out surveys mentioning launch coasters and 4-D coasters. Now what if they add the 4-D next year an revitalize that lakefront area, after that since they are sprucing up Old Country for the Holiday in the Park they add a coaster in Chiller's old spot. They had to have kept that building and queue for a reason. Just food for thought cause they did add Kingda Ka and El Toro in back to back years. It isn't impossible for them to add a 4-D and a Premier launch in back to back years.

I know the chances are slim but my thought process as of late has me thinking, could we see two new coasters being built in a very close proximity of time? The park has been sending out surveys mentioning launch coasters and 4-D coasters. Now what if they add the 4-D next year an revitalize that lakefront area, after that since they are sprucing up Old Country for the Holiday in the Park they add a coaster in Chiller's old spot. They had to have kept that building and queue for a reason. Just food for thought cause they did add Kingda Ka and El Toro in back to back years. It isn't impossible for them to add a 4-D and a Premier launch in back to back years.

Just wanted to say after several pages of people pointing out the obvious (that a free spin would be a pretty lame addition), that when I pointed out the same thing months ago I caught heat for it and it started a big argument. Where were all of you then?

Why do you find this so unrealistic? I actually had very similar thoughts. New attraction planning surveys aren't just for the upcoming year, because if you know it or not 2016 was already in the books when they sent out the surveys.

Great America built two $10+ million coasters just two years apart. The Free Spin, from what I've heard, is well under that price tag. I could easily see a new coaster in Old Country for 2018/19.

If someone told me back in 05 that they would add Kingda Ka and El Toro in back to back years I would have gave the same response. So laugh all you want it isn't impossible.

This definitely crossed my mind, too. No, it's not impossible, but as much as I'd like it, I've got a feeling it's unlikely, unless it's being saved for a couple years down the road.

Me when I saw that potential ride on the survey:

The Premier launchers have a really good value for what they can offer. Yolo only cost 6 million and that has some pretty insane technology to it (top hat loop, multi launch). I can see the park building a Free Spin and LSM coaster in a short time period, but I'm still not a fan of the Free Spin.

Remove Goliath from SFNE and pop one in there. Or even Great Escape.... Lol am I drunk? Great Escape is never getting a new coaster even if Alpine Boblsleds rots to the ground.

I can understand an enthusiast being disappointed that we'd not get the next big bad addition, but I don't understand how that trumps the "what's best for the park" perspective. Here would be something that would get the public talking as well.

As bad as I want the park to get a giga or a Premier launcher, I must agree with this. I remember when Robb posted the video of SFFT's Batman, it quickly attained a high number of views (close to 1 million I believe, which is stunning for a coaster vid). Point is the ride is weird looking and polarizing. It will pique curiosity enough for people to come ride it and/or see it in person.

Will the ride still be popular in 10 years? Probably not, but Gradv by then will have seen a return on a $6-7 million investment 10-fold

Edited by Superbatboy

It's certainly possible though I'm not sure how likely. The survey did say "Future attractions" and not "2016 attractions" so it could be for the next few years. Rather than back to back years I can see us getting an off year in between, getting a coaster in 2016 then 2018

I'll tell you what, I'd take (a working version of) Chiller any day of the week over a lot of the potential possibilities. Lapbar version, of course!

I really, really liked that ride!

As for the 4D, two thoughts:

1) I agree that to me, that seems like an excellent addition for a "2nd tier" SF park, as somebody mentioned. However, for SFGAdv, who hasn't received a major coaster for so long in spite of being arguably the second "biggest" SF park, prestige-wise, it does seem like a disappointing addition. Again, that is how I feel about it.

2) Having said that, I can attest to the fact that when the 4D for Fiesta Texas was announced last year, it received a TON of attention all over my Facebook feed from people that are not at all a part of my coaster enthusiast friends! Clearly, it is a coaster addition that will garner plenty of positive attention from the GP for GAdv, if that is the direction they go.

One possible option for GAdv, that would bridge the two thoughts... Maybe this WILL be a custom layout coaster, of a larger size and layout, but still an S&S 4D Free-Spin? That could have the potential to be pretty fun and interesting! (Though personally, I'd still rather see an Intamin Giga, or a launched Wing Coaster - maybe even an Intamin like Furious Baco, instead of a B&M even!)