TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Don't quote me on this but pretty sure someone posted on FB the other day that the crew on B:TR were saying it was the last day it would run normally.

^ I saw it in the SFGAdv Connoisseurs FB group, had to go back and do a search. Two people posted about it on Sunday and Monday, both said the same thing that "it was the last day to ride before the conversion". That group is good to find out whats going on at the park but just about anyone and everyone can post there (especially folks that are hardly "connoisseurs"), so take it for what its worth.

Ah, gotcha. I blanked out for a second and misread your post. Sounded like Friday would be the last day. Oh well, this just heightens the anticipation for Namtab; it's gonna be something wild.

Yeah I still have only been to the park once this year for CAD, seriously itching right about now. I'm trying to plan out a hooky day on a weekday in July and will probably just run to Namtab as soon as I get in the park to check it out.

I'm guessing the park has to do the normal amount of testing once the backwards trains go on? Anyone have any insight into how long that has taken at the other parks?

How can you say that it crests at 8-12 mph? Please, give concrete evidence of this guess based on experience rather than actual measurement (which, by the way you wouldn't be able to get unless you either happen to have speed measuring equipment or you designed the ride). From multiple people who work with KK, I've heard that the launches vary drastically, and one launch can be faster than another by nearly 10 mph, making the forces vary greatly with every launch (hence the magnetic fins at the top which act as trims to limit the amount of negative forces in case of an excessively fast launch).

I know that (at least TDD,not SURE about KK) crest the tower between 8 and 12mph not only because I know several people who have spent years working on the ride, people ranging from ride host, to maintance, to supervisors. I've spent years studying the ride and learning about the ride. Not only have I learned from the people who work there how fast the train crest the top of the tower, but there are several documentaries out there from Discovery Channel, Travel Channel, and National Geographic channel that interview Monty Jasper (I believe) and he states that the train crest the tower at that speed.

In regards to the 10 mph difference per launch. Yes, this is true. The computer may have to launch one train 10 mph faster than the previous train due to difference in weight, but even launching a heavier train faster will still get it to crest the tower at the same 8-12mph.

Yeah I still have only been to the park once this year for CAD, seriously itching right about now. I'm trying to plan out a hooky day on a weekday in July and will probably just run to Namtab as soon as I get in the park to check it out.

I'm guessing the park has to do the normal amount of testing once the backwards trains go on? Anyone have any insight into how long that has taken at the other parks?

The backwards trains were at my home park last season SFoT and it only took them about a day once they were on. The ride runs normally so it's not that foreign to them. They were only running one train when I visited on Thursday, so I could tell they were getting ready to shut it down for the conversion. The experience is different though, it was quite disorientating even though most of us know the elements coming by heart. It's a little more intense as now the forces of the ride are pushing you outwards instead of inwards toward the seat and some people didn't like that. So it'll be to each their own, but it's still pretty fun!

Just from looking, KK's tophat looks more parabolic than TTD's so perhaps that may mean some sort of difference (like why KK has never gotten stuck at the top but TTD has on multiple occasions). On Kingda Ka you can definitely tell the difference between launches, because sometimes a train will crawl over the tophat, and other times it absolutely flies over it. Test train launches can be far faster than normal launches as well, adding to the slight difference in forces every time

Can anyone talk about experiences going to GAdv on July 4th?

My first instinct is that it would be insanely crowded but I know last year it was deserted (though it rained that morning) and I would imagine for the most part folks do BBQ's and whatnot as opposed to going to the park. We are thinking about going that day. Obviously this depends on weather and this year will also be different as it falls on a Saturday - I think it was a Monday last year.

If you've been in years past, let me know how it was.

Awesome good to know. I just checked and it was a Friday last year, I was pissed because I had the opportunity to go but figured it would be rammed, and then afterwards found out from multiple sources it was a ghost town all day. I just searched back through this thread and it seems most years July 4th is fairly quiet.

Can anyone talk about experiences going to GAdv on July 4th?

My first instinct is that it would be insanely crowded but I know last year it was deserted (though it rained that morning) and I would imagine for the most part folks do BBQ's and whatnot as opposed to going to the park. We are thinking about going that day. Obviously this depends on weather and this year will also be different as it falls on a Saturday - I think it was a Monday last year.

If you've been in years past, let me know how it was.

I went about 5 to 6 yrs ago, the park was a zoo. 2 hr lines everywhere. lines out the ques. line cutting everywhere, no security in sight.

If July 4th falls during the week, there's the potential for it to be less than crowded, especially if weather doesn't cooperate. However, if the holiday actually falls over the weekend, expect it to be slammed. I used to be a manager at that McDonald's outside the park (2000-2010), and July 4th weekend was always one of the busiest of the season.

Was at the park last year on the 4th, wasn't too busy, but yeah: it was a Friday and had rained much of the day before and I think some showers in the morning. I'd expect it to be pretty mobbed this year especially if the weather is decent.

I took off from work yesterday and spent a full day at the park with a few people. Got my first ride on El Diablo (on my third try - the first two times, I was on board and restrained but had to evacuate due to technical issues). What a fun ride! I've thought this would be a great addition to the park, bringing back an experience we lost once Space Shuttle was removed. Now I can definitely say so for sure. The hang time on some of the rotations was incredible. A great "middle" flat ride that should attract both families and thrill seekers like SkyScreamer.

I got a few Hurricane Harbor questions for anyone that has been there in the past few years. I have been hesitant to go to Hurricane Harbor because of all the problems I hear but haven't been to a water park yet this year and didn't renew my Dorney pass this year so I'm probably going to try it sometime in July (on a weekday).

If you park first in the Hurricane Harbor lot using a gold pass, can you then leave and go to the theme park parking lot will they not allow that (multiple lot entries in the same day) and if so I guess I need to park at theme park entrance and take the shuttle over?

I see there is tube rental and Flash Pass. If you get Flash Pass, do you bypass the wait to get a tube if you don't rent a tube rental or are you better off just renting a tube without Flash Pass to avoid the tube lines before you get to the stairs? This is one reason I am hesitant to go because I heard waits can be long even on the stairs past the Flash Pass merge point even if I buy the Flash Pass.

I know King Cobra has a 200 pound weight limit. I looked up the rider access guide for the other tube slides and the only restriction I saw was a 400 pound weight limit for double riders. Someone in a TripAdvisor review mentioned all tube slides have a 200 pound weight limit for single riders. Is it just King Cobra with the 200 pound weight limit?

Thanks

If you park first in the Hurricane Harbor lot using a gold pass, can you then leave and go to the theme park parking lot will they not allow that (multiple lot entries in the same day) and if so I guess I need to park at theme park entrance and take the shuttle over?

You can use your Season Pass parking at both parks in the same day...the same applies if you pay the $25 daily parking fee, you would just have to show your receipt.

I know King Cobra has a 200 pound weight limit. I looked up the rider access guide for the other tube slides and the only restriction I saw was a 400 pound weight limit for double riders. Someone in a TripAdvisor review mentioned all tube slides have a 200 pound weight limit for single riders. Is it just King Cobra with the 200 pound weight limit?

Thanks

As far a I know, King Cobra is the only ride where they actually weigh you before entering to make sure. If the others do have a weight limit, it's on the honor system.

I got a few Hurricane Harbor questions for anyone that has been there in the past few years. I have been hesitant to go to Hurricane Harbor because of all the problems I hear but haven't been to a water park yet this year and didn't renew my Dorney pass this year so I'm probably going to try it sometime in July (on a weekday).

I see there is tube rental and Flash Pass. If you get Flash Pass, do you bypass the wait to get a tube if you don't rent a tube rental or are you better off just renting a tube without Flash Pass to avoid the tube lines before you get to the stairs? This is one reason I am hesitant to go because I heard waits can be long even on the stairs past the Flash Pass merge point even if I buy the Flash Pass.

Thanks

You can absolutely go over to the theme park on the same day you attend HH. Just show the attendant at the theme park parking entrance your pass, and they'll scan it and grant you access.

I believe that with the Flash Pass, you bypass just the regular line for a tube at the bottom of the slide. If you rent a tube, I believe you can also bypass the line at the bottom. I'm not 100% sure on this though, so maybe someone else can chime in and help you out.

As far as the weight limits go, it's only King Cobra that is 200lbs.

I have a question about flash passes if anyone here can help out, please. I am going to SFGAd for the first time Friday, July 10th. I only got one day, so I'm going to buy gold flash passes for my family. We were at SFOT last month and they only included New Texas Giant and Texas Skyscreamer on the platinum pass even though they said on their website that those rides were included on the gold pass. Does SFGAd do this too? I see they have their rides included for gold pass. I just don't want to get there and be surprised again with the extra cost. I will say that SFOT platinum passes are cheaper than SFGAd. I fine paying the medium cost...But $110 a person seems a little ridiculous. Basically, I just want to know if any rides are only included on the platinum pass. Thanks.

You can use your Season Pass parking at both parks in the same day...the same applies if you pay the $25 daily parking fee, you would just have to show your receipt.

As far a I know, King Cobra is the only ride where they actually weigh you before entering to make sure. If the others do have a weight limit, it's on the honor system.

You can absolutely go over to the theme park on the same day you attend HH. Just show the attendant at the theme park parking entrance your pass, and they'll scan it and grant you access.

I believe that with the Flash Pass, you bypass just the regular line for a tube at the bottom of the slide. If you rent a tube, I believe you can also bypass the line at the bottom. I'm not 100% sure on this though, so maybe someone else can chime in and help you out.

As far as the weight limits go, it's only King Cobra that is 200lbs.

Thank you both for the replies.