TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Cars were still lined up past the WaWa trying to enter the park when I left.

Holy crap! If I turned off 195 and saw cars lined up to Wawa, I'd turn right back around. I can't imagine the park being enjoyable if it's that crowded.

I just got in from visiting the park today. The lines weren't really all that bad. I think the longest wait I actually had was for Nitro, but even that wasn't bad because the Nitro crew was really hauling it to push trains out. Only once did I see more than one train waiting to enter the station.

The park is absolutely slammed today.

Guess today's season pass promotion "Bring a Friend for Free" worked......

I usually avoid the park on "Bring a Friend Free days", but I'm looking at the bright side. Any days where you get a few rides on El Toro is a great day.

If they were to build an S&S free spin out of chiller's station (which IMHO, would be a perfect fit), with the lift on the Musik Express side of Old Country, could the larger model thread through the observatory several times?

They also should name it Nightwing!

Edited by RollerManic

I don't recall much "hype" about the solar farm either. And, I might be mistaken, but I don't think the park is really involved with the solar farm anyway, other then using the power generated.

EDIT: Did a little digging on Great Adventure History. According to the park's press release from March 26, the solar farm won't be complete and operational until the second half of 2016, and it is going to be owned and operated by an outside company.

Has there been any update on the Solar Farm? I feel like we all hyped up about them doing it... and then it all just fizzled away...

The most recent news (from earlier this month) concerns NJ environment groups' desire to sue the park in an attempt to shelf the project. Here's an article from the Asbury Park Press about it. Prepare to be enraged.

JACKSON – Four environmental groups filed a lawsuit Monday to stop Six Flags Great Adventure from clearing nearly 19,000 trees to build a 90-acre solar farm.

The complaint, filed in state Superior Court in Toms River, claims the project skirted New Jersey's Municipal Land Use Law.

"Great Adventure's position that it must destroy the forest to combat climate change is illogical and uninformed," Janet Tauro, New Jersey board chair of Clean Water Action, said in a prepared statement.

"You don't kill the earth to save the earth. If a Jackson resident takes down a tree in their own backyard, they have to jump through hoops as the tree removal ordinance is so stringent," she added, "but Great Adventure plans to clear cut 18,000 trees and the application flies through like greased lightning."

On Jan. 29, the Township Council adopted an ordinance that allows solar energy facilities in the commercial recreation zones that encompass the project site off Reed Road.

That same day, Six Flags and KDC Solar LLC jointly submitted an application to the Planning Board. The Planning Board voted March 2 to approve the project.

It wasn't until weeks later that the township's Environmental Commission weighed in on the application. The commission issued a letter dated March 30 that identified several areas of concern it said the applicants were already addressing. Members of the commission voted 5 to 2 via email to endorse the letter. The complaint alleges that the Environmental Commission vote was "coerced and illegal."

The lawsuit also cites the application's lack of a required tree removal survey as well as inconsistencies between the January ordinance and the township's master plan. One of the stated goals of the master plan is "the protection of natural resources."

Joining Clean Water Action in the lawsuit are the Crosswicks Creek-Doctors Creek Watershed Association, the New Jersey Conservation Foundation and Save Barnegat Bay. The groups say the solar facility could cause polluted runoff to reach waterways that feed into Barnegat Bay and the Delaware River. Six Flags, however, says state-mandated buffers and berms will provide sufficient protection.

A Six Flags Great Adventure spokeswoman said the theme park does not comment on pending litigation. Attorneys representing Jackson Township and its Planning Board could not be reached for comment Monday.

The lawsuit also names KDC Solar and Township Clerk Ann Marie Eden

KDC, based in Bedminister, would build and operate the facility and sell the power back to Six Flags. Alan M. Epstein, KDC's president and chief operating officer, said the company only just received the complaint and had no comment.

Eden, who serves as the township's records custodian, was named as a defendant because she failed to turn over certain documents related to the project requested through the state's Open Public Records Act, the lawsuit states.

Six Flags says the 21.9-megawatt facility, which would be the largest of its kind in New Jersey, would generate virtually all of the electricity it needs while producing a net reduction in carbon dioxide emissions of some 216,000 tons over 15 years.

But pro-solar New Jersey environmental groups have been sharply critical of the plan.

They contend that green energy shouldn't come at the expense of a rich forest ecosystem, and point to the theme park's nearly 100-acre parking area as a better location for the facility. Six Flags, in turn, says that option isn't feasible because a carport-based solar system would lead to a critical loss of parking spaces and restrict the continued use of the parking area for outdoor concerts and charity events.

Here's a direct link to the article. The below photo is also included in the article showing an approximate location of the proposed solar farm.

image.jpg.c7352e70e492d27bce794b79fd57f835.jpg

To be fair, I think they only had 1 concert in their parking lot in the past few years. I'm sure it is just more expensive to build a solar field above a parking lot than it is to clear a bunch of trees. I can also agree that preserving a forest ecosystem is important. I am a biologist (well, bioinformatician) and know well that removal of huge chucks of forest can be devastating even to the uncleared forest around it.

If you look at the diagram, it is literally removing a forested area the size of the entire park. That isn't exactly minor. I'm not a tree-hugger by any stretch of the imagination, but I think they should consider other options.

Solar farm on the parking lot? Hell no, they're not going to do that! Where would you park considering the size of the project?

This is also an opportunity for Six flags to get some return on all that extra land.

Wow, NJ is bad (but they have a really good six flags! ) I hate to come off hostile, but this just wouldn't make sense. Not with the current size of it.

There are lots of parking lot solar power systems. The fairgrounds in Sacramento, CA has one. It keeps the cars cool on hot days.

I've used solar PV most of my adult life. A giant clearcut for solar panels is ridiculous.

I'd like to see Six Flags (and Cedar Fair) install on the roofs of their buildings and to cover queues, but that would take more careful planning and installation than just mowing down forest.

One nice aspect for a Six Flags solar array is the time of year when the panels are not productive the park is closed and their electric use is smaller.

PS: Disney is adding a solar array, too

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-solar-20150527-story.html

Duke Energy building solar facility at Disney World

... The solar farm will occupy about 20 acres near World Drive and Epcot Center Drive.

Construction is expected to begin mid-summer and the facility should be in service by year's end.

The power plant's 48,000 solar panels will be arranged in the shape of — what else? — a Mickey Mouse head.

If you look at the diagram, it is literally removing a forested area the size of the entire park. That isn't exactly minor. I'm not a tree-hugger by any stretch of the imagination, but I think they should consider other options.

You took the words right out of my mouth. This is the first time I think I've ever complained about something a park wanted to do because of tree removal but this is completely ridiculous, even if they plant new trees elsewhere.

Instead of clearing 100 acres and saying the entire parking lot is needed for concerts/parking, why not clear only what is necessary and place what you can on lesser used parts of the lot, leaving ample parking (building more if needed) and space for concerts? It seems Gadv is taking the cheapest option, which, these days, doesn't surprise me.

To be fair Great Adventure fills the lot completely and then uses the Hurricane Harbor lot as overflow on just about every Fright Fest Saturday. The only part of the lot they don't fill is the preferred lot. They never come close to filling the preferred lot.

It's completely possible to keep the parking lot intact (not that it's remotely intact as it stands today, to be honest) and also have a solar farm using the same land. Plenty of places overseas have done it, the issue here in the US is just that no business is going to jump at the more expensive option when they can work some political influence and go the cheap route.

slide02.jpg.475c5b65810b1e641c3f59b87feaf6f3.jpg

http://solairegeneration.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/slide02.jpg

^ You do realize that you're discussing a park that for 30+ years had an attraction where animals would literally eat and/or defecate on your car, right? lol

They aren't building on the lot, because Great Adventure is not involved in the construction. The outside company is responsible for everything with this solar lot, the park just provided the land and will reap its benefits.