TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

To break up some of the freespin speculation, I purpose a hole in the theory. The space being cleared is 880ft long (thanks to google maps). Batman at Fiesta Texas is only 280ft long. That means that 3 of them could fit in the new space being cleared. I understand that S&S offers bigger models, but it would hard to believe that the bigger ones are 3 times bigger than Batman. To put into perspective the size of the land being cleared, it is about the distance from El Toro's first drop to it's turn around.

Caution: Crazy Enthusiast speculation below

While Six Flags can make some face-meets-wall choices, they do like to save money. What doesn't save money is demolition of things that don't need to be demolished, especially when those things could be used to help you make more money. Batman would actually fit in just the space where the grandstand is. However, we know that the grandstand, live stage, and aqua stadium are being removed. Not to mention, the lakefront property is probably fairly valuable to the park. I would think they would only want to put a huge-bang coaster there.

A huge observation in the way of coaster design has been less and less lift hill supports. Look at I305 and Skyrush! Lets pretend that Great Adventure is building a world record breaking giga coaster. Skyrush is the most recent example of Intamin's supports so we will use it as the model. Sky Rush's supports are 150 ft away from each other. If a 350ft giga is being built we could calculate the scale between height and lift support distance to be (150*350)/200. That would mean the distance between supports would be about 262 feet.

Great Adventure has wanted to build a coaster over the lake likely since the park opened. However, we all know that Jackson is concerned about the environment and won't let them touch it. Not to mention, draining the lake would be an expensive endeavor. What if we had a way of building a lift hill that could travel over the lake to another part of land without touching it? Remember the support distance we calculated before? That could give us a lift structure like this:

For those that don't know, there is a cleared service road already on that stretch of land. This would minimize the amount of trees that the park would have to cut down. But what about the grandstand and the festival stage? Well, that could all be answered if the coaster followed a layout similar to this with the station being located where the stadium currently is:

The flat ground length of the coaster would be about 2,700ft. This would likely be 5,000 - 5,800 feet when you account for hills and turns. This would make the coaster on par in length with I305. The locations, visibility, and non-visibility would make this one of the most marketable coasters the park could possibly build.

I'm just dreaming, but it was fun to put this all together.

Woolandmammoth, that's an interesting idea that I have considered (at least as far as the land is concerned, not a giga though). I only have 2 concerns,

1) I know much of the area in that strip of land is very swampy, and not ideal for a coaster.

2) That thin strip of land is 100ft wide max, which isn't impossible to have track that travels both out and back, but it is a tight squeeze.

Overall, my money is on a free spin, with some overall redevelopment of that area. Best case scenario would be a RMC with a similar footprint to Goliath. I really doubt SF would spend the $20-$25M on a giga, though.

Am I the only one that thinks a Free Spin would not be wise? The capacity would be terrible and no one knows how Batman will turn out. It may be just as uncomfortable as GL in California. A giga like the one mentioned before would be both highly marketable and more enjoyable (flying by trees, being isolated from the rest of the park, etc) than a Free Spin. Just my two cents but a giga would be a better choice to up attendance.

I just want to clarify something. We don't actually KNOW the stadium and grandstand are being removed. A random guy on GAH's forums is basing this off of two random park employees telling him this. Far and away from actual confirmation.

A giga would also cost about 27 million more. Good luck with that.

I305 cost 25 million. I guess Batman cost around 5 or 10. Where are you getting your numbers from?

I don't know, but it doesn't really matter. Unless there is a big change in company spending, they're not spending that much on one ride.

El KIAblo is looking great! While the ride may not be what coaster enthusiasts were hoping for, it fits into Plaza del Carnival perfectly and has wonderful landscaping! It's fitting that it should go in Rolling Thunder's old spot, as it will likely end up being an attraction primarily for younger children preparing for the bigger rides.

^ I'm sure with all the drama that NJ environmental groups are creating over the solar farm project, SFGAdv is going to continue mowing down as many trees as possible, sipping bourbon and singing
as they go.

Fixed.

I just want to clarify something. We don't actually KNOW the stadium and grandstand are being removed. A random guy on GAH's forums is basing this off of two random park employees telling him this. Far and away from actual confirmation.

However, what is decent speculation is that the stadium is boarded up. Another decent speculation is that the grandstand is decaying, hasn't been used in years, and the insides where concessions used to be sold are gutted. There are also markings all over the paths in that area. Granted, none of these things are confirmation, but they are enough to give us a strong indication that change is coming to that area.

If you plan to one day utilize the grandstand, you don't gut the money making concession stand that is built into it!

If it looks like a demolition, acts like a demolition, and sounds like a demolition, there is reason to discuss the potential demolition. Can you imagine if we only discussed things that were explicitly announced? Where would be the fun in that!

I just posted my El Diablo Media Day report here: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70308

I took some time to check out the lake front and have pictures posted in that thread. The markings go from the exit area of Blackbeard's all the way past the Grandstand and down along the fence line by the water heading towards the log flume area. It covers a huge section of land back there. There were also workers in the area surveying and measuring but they told me "we're just marking utilities" when I asked if they had any info on the work being done.

I did see big CAT machinery driving around behind the fence between Fort Independence and Blackbeard's so demolition should begin very soon if that is the plan.

Granted, none of these things are confirmation, but they are enough to give us a strong indication that change is coming to that area.

This is exactly my argument. I'm not denying the evidence for speculation exists (hell, if you read back the last few pages I've been participating in it), but it's irresponsible to say it's been confirmed at this time.

It's been seven years since a new coaster, and nine since something really good. It's time again for SFGAd to get something really good. To me, a Free Spin would not fill that need.

This is more or less how I feel, it's one of the two franchise parks in the SF chain, I just really wish they could get something big again.

A giga would be nice!

I always try to curb expectation and entitlement of a great new coaster due to how spoiled we were in the early -mid '00's, but I definitely think we are overdue. In the past 4 years 6 parks have received RMC's, some of those parks receiving other coasters as well in that time. I think it is time GAdv gets something substantial in the coaster department, especially after the removal of essentially 5 different tracks (2 a piece on RT and Chiller, and GASM).

I always try to curb expectation and entitlement of a great new coaster due to how spoiled we were in the early -mid '00's, but I definitely think we are overdue. In the past 4 years 6 parks have received RMC's, some of those parks receiving other coasters as well in that time. I think it is time GAdv gets something substantial in the coaster department, especially after the removal of essentially 5 different tracks (2 a piece on RT and Chiller, and GASM).

Well that's exactly it, I know how lucky I am that I can pop over and get El Toro, KK, Nitro and how lucky we were, but you hit it on the head: We lost a bunch, and I was OK with GASM but I liked the Chiller and all the replacements haven't been very good. The park has been kind of stagnant for a while, it's not only overdue but it's a marquee park in the chain.

An RMC would be perfect for a new coaster!

That said, I am glad we have a new flat

I just hope in planning their next attraction, the uppers at Great Adventure and Six Flags Inc realize that for the price of one overpric....uh I mean one $20+ million B&M they can get a Goliath-sized RMC and a pretty decent-sized Premier launcher. Two is better than one.

Though I actually hope Gradv doesn't install a Goliath sized RMC. The ride has like 5 elements, whereas smaller RMCs (ie Medusa and Wicked Cyclone) have like 20