TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

There's no rational argument for why Green Lantern was not a good replacement for GASM.

There was no love for GASM the last three years it was in the park. It was a constant walk-on even with the slowest ride ops in existence. I was be surprised if ridership was more than 100 per hour on a typical weekend.

Hardly anybody over the age of 16 rode it. Those people that did think that loop de loops make a ride great. The only time it saw lines was during Fright Fest.

For anyone saying Green Lantern is rougher than Great American Scream Machine in its last few years, you probably are suffering from kind of head injury caused by riding GASM.

I rode GASM opening year and it wasn't smooth then either.

For anyone saying Green Lantern is rougher than Great American Scream Machine in its last few years, you probably are suffering from kind of head injury caused by riding GASM.

I don't think anyone is saying that. Green Lantern is definitely a smoother ride than GASM, because obviously B&M > Arrow in terms of smoothness. I happened to like GASM, and have a lot of memories growing up involving GASM. 5 years on, and it still upsets me that it was removed. Green Lantern gets a lot of hate (from me) not only because it's rough (and it is indeed rough), but also because it's standing on the footprint of a coaster that meant something to me. In my eyes GL will never be anything more than a sub-par replacement for a legend. I know this isn't a rational argument as to why GASM > GL, but its my argument.

Green Lantern is very good in terms of stand-ups, but very mediocre relative to the offering at Great Adventure. Being an occasional visitor (2-3 visits/year), I find myself getting re-rides on El Toro, Nitro, Batman and even Bizarro before I'll wait for Green Lantern. That's not to say its a bad ride, but just not worth missing out on everything else this park has to offer.

I'll take Green Lantern over Apocalypse at SFA every day of the week.

Green Lantern is very good in terms of stand-ups, but very mediocre relative to the offering at Great Adventure. Being an occasional visitor (2-3 visits/year), I find myself getting re-rides on El Toro, Nitro, Batman and even Bizarro before I'll wait for Green Lantern. That's not to say its a bad ride, but just not worth missing out on everything else this park has to offer.

I'll take Green Lantern over Apocalypse at SFA every day of the week.

From what I hear, most people would take a colonoscopy over Apocalypse every day of the week.

I don't think anyone is saying that. Green Lantern is definitely a smoother ride than GASM, because obviously B&M > Arrow in terms of smoothness. I happened to like GASM, and have a lot of memories growing up involving GASM. 5 years on, and it still upsets me that it was removed. Green Lantern gets a lot of hate (from me) not only because it's rough (and it is indeed rough), but also because it's standing on the footprint of a coaster that meant something to me. In my eyes GL will never be anything more than a sub-par replacement for a legend. I know this isn't a rational argument as to why GASM > GL, but its my argument.

This. Green Lantern will always just come across to me as a replacement....Which is what it is. I rather have a ride that is unique to the park and sort of gave the place some character as opposed to a replacement B&M stand-up. But that is just my opinion.

A mod Nina Kleepe liked my comment... my dream has come true . Also, I partially agree with everyone saying the prefer GASM be cause of how it had more character than GL has ( because it does), but I don't think that should play that big a part in choosing which one is better.

Also in the boat that would take Scream Machine. Pain on arrow loopers are expected, and predictable. Once you get good at riding them, they are some of the most unique and thrilling coasters. GASM and Vortex (KI) are great examples of Arrow loopers that pack a hell of a punch. When a B&M is rough and painful, it just sucks. B&Ms are built using state of the art techniques and arrows were built before any of that existed.

Essentially what I'm saying is that I'm incredibly bias and miss having a massive Arrow looper in my home park

At least we still have one of the best arrow mine trains! I'm rather partial to Adventure Express, but RAMT is a close second for me.

Also in the boat that would take Scream Machine. Pain on arrow loopers are expected, and predictable. Once you get good at riding them, they are some of the most unique and thrilling coasters. GASM and Vortex (KI) are great examples of Arrow loopers that pack a hell of a punch. When a B&M is rough and painful, it just sucks. B&Ms are built using state of the art techniques and arrows were built before any of that existed.

I think the Green Lantern vs Scream Machine argument is totally based on body type / height. I'm 6,4 and for some reason I never find Arrow's rough anymore (except Vortex, Vortex just manages to completely break the suck barrier since Arrow decided to try their hand at building a wild mouse after the loops and before the MCBR).

Usually though being tall is a big help with those and it's also a major problem with Green Lantern as it kind of forces you to slouch a little and that puts you in a strange position and makes for a really uncomfortable ride. When I was a kid / a young teen I loved standups and hated Arrow loopers (for the most part) and now it's the opposite so I think height plays a big role with both ride types.

I think the Green Lantern vs Scream Machine argument is totally based on body type / height.

This highlights the issue at hand here. Everyone making the "GASM > GL" argument is consistently using their own personal preferences as the main talking point when everyone REALLY should be considering what was best for the park as a whole. As Larry said earlier:

There was no love for GASM the last three years it was in the park. It was a constant walk-on even with the slowest ride ops in existence. I was be surprised if ridership was more than 100 per hour on a typical weekend.

Hardly anybody over the age of 16 rode it. Those people that did think that loop de loops make a ride great. The only time it saw lines was during Fright Fest.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything he said. No. One. Rode. It. GASM was old and had a reputation that it would never have been able to shake. Plus, as it aged, maintenance costs would continue to increase. Why would the park continue to invest so much money into a ride that would never again be able to provide a remotely respectable return-on-investment? When GAdv management was given GL, it gave them an opportunity to replace a dying coaster with one they could market as new and provided a unique experience for the GP, thus earning a better ROI.

I despise Green Lantern. I've ridden all of the B&M stand-ups other than CGA Vortex, and Green Lantern is hands down my least favorite of the bunch. Both times I've ridden Green Lantern, I've walked off the ride with incredible leg pain and a headache. I'm just glad that I was able to use the single rider line and not have to wait forever for it! It easily made my "never again" list!

It's a shame the GL is becoming more of an unenjoyable experience. It's also more of a shame that they wouldn't be able to do a Mantis/Rougarou conversion since Bizzaro is a floorless. I mean, they could do it, but 2 floorless coasters doesn't seem likely

Unless they keep the trains and move Bizarro to another park...

Sounds odd, but this is the same park that won't open a pathway because they want you to walk past money making things...

And have Bizarro be another SF park's landscaping? What trains would this run?