TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

^^ Reading comprehension is your friend. I El Toro was the one with an hour wait. And he isn't the only person to say Nitro was running all 3 trains so they probably put them on later. And at Six Flags parks, you are indeed allowed to stay in your seat if no one is waiting for that row. Don't call someone out if you don't know what you're talking about

I've never seen any SF park allow that, so that's news to me.....guess Gadv is different.

To everyone complaining about the slow operations today, you have to keep in mind a good majority of the employees are completely new and need a grace period to adjust to running the rides with people. It's not the easiest thing to do, it takes a lot of time and practice. Cut them some slack. Operations today may have not been the best but expect them to improve greatly as all the employees settle into their positions.

Yep. It's official. A 2016 coaster is coming for sure. If not a coaster a new attraction for sure.

The contradiction is strong with this one! (even though technically a coaster is a new attraction)

Construction is still on-going on the parks present new coaster...El Diablo

All jokes aside, El Diablo is still being built (and will still be marketed as a coaster). As for whatever else is going on "construction wise". The rumors will continue to fly.

LOL! Major contradiction! Glad you pointed that out. But more likely 2016 is the year I'll get to this park, so whatever "new attraction" they're working on adding, I hope it's a major thrill ride to satisfy our needs. *Proofreading* That sounds better.

I was never denied a re-ride in 2014, but I have not visited this season so I don't know if policy has changed.

It hasn't. The ride ops at most of the coasters I rode today (Batman, Skull Mountain, Mine Train, Bizarro, and Green Lantern) were even encouraging people to ride again.

Granted this was almost 10 years ago (holy crap, El Toro is gonna be 10 years old) in 2006, I used to know someone that was the Supervisor of the Ride Department, and on one rainy Friday during Fright Fest, he was encouraging people to stay on Nitro, and I managed to get 60 consecutive rides on Nitro without having to get off. It's my proudest moment. I counted each one. They were just like "Get up and find an empty seat and you'll be fine"

Anyone else think El Diablo or Looping Dragons will be a top 10 coaster? I expect monstrous crowds for the opening of this monster.

I'd say more like Top 5 material! I've never seen anything quite like it! It'll for sure steal El Toro's thunder.

Granted this was almost 10 years ago (holy crap, El Toro is gonna be 10 years old) in 2006, I used to know someone that was the Supervisor of the Ride Department, and on one rainy Friday during Fright Fest, he was encouraging people to stay on Nitro, and I managed to get 60 consecutive rides on Nitro without having to get off. It's my proudest moment. I counted each one. They were just like "Get up and find an empty seat and you'll be fine"

Now THAT is impressive! 60 rides! That must have taken a long time too. A couple of hours at least. Must've been REALLY dead that day!

Now THAT is impressive! 60 rides! That must have taken a long time too. A couple of hours at least. Must've been REALLY dead that day!

I was on from opening at 5pm? until 9:30-10PM when I finally decided to run over and marathon El Toro for the rest of the night! It was dead and the station never had more than a 1 train wait. El Toro was walk on in the back as usual because everyone crowds the front for some reason. Even then the Front didn't have more than a 2-3 train wait, with both running.

GAH posted photos from an extensive trip report from today, and in a couple of the photos you can see the extensive new path through Old Country to alleviate crowds on peak days and Fright Fest. While it's a little strange to fences up in a previously fully open area, it definitely makes sense as a stepping stone until the park is ready to reopen the area full time and is most certainly better than nothing. Here's an example:

Courtesy of GAH

RMC in Old Country with a long inversion/stall over the entry plaza would be kind of nice. Take out the GoKarts and use that area for the middle section of the ride then hop back over and finish back in Old Country.

From the pictures posted today the park looks really good. The new paint on some buildings goes a long way.

Judging by the pics and removal of Musik Express, it really looks like that will be the location for a 2016 coaster. I don't think it's a total coincidence, either, that they would be able to show it off to the public during the first HITP, either.

From Chiller's old top hat/cobra roll to the Musik Express is a pretty large piece of land. A Goliath-sized RMC, wing rider, dive coaster and GCI are all possible with that space.

The park looks very good to start the season! Can't wait to head down and process my season pass.

RMC in Old Country with a long inversion/stall over the entry plaza would be kind of nice. Take out the GoKarts and use that area for the middle section of the ride then hop back over and finish back in Old Country.

Love this idea. Unfortunately there would be a 0% chance of the State of New Jersey allowing such a thing. They won't let Ka and Zum run together due to fear of falling objects, so I doubt we'll ever get a ride coming right over the entrance plaza. But it does look like something is going into Old Country.

I disagree, if they redesign the entrance of the park, and create it as the entrance structure (gatekeeper style) and the train is traveling high enough up that no one can throw something at it, and then do a tunnel to return, it could work...

I do agree that NJ is a bit nuts about the saftey issue, but with the unfortunate clientele that SFGAdv seems to attract, it's definitly trying to do the right thing and keep everyone safe....

Came over for opening since I'm home for Easter, but things are pretty rough. Ka and Zumanjaro down for wind, Toro yet to cycle and now I've been in line for Safari for over half an hour... there's been one truck in the last 15 minutes... Ugh...

Im posting this trip report a bit late but I too attended opening day yesterday with Genx24. We arrived at the park for opening and there was a light rain which wasn't too bad. The first thing I noticed was a new lane for people without bags which they finally added 40 years too late. Once security let us leave main street we shot over to take our season opening spin on Nitro.....But it was closed. So we headed over to Batman to start our day. After Batman we walked over to TDK and took a spin on that. By the time we go off Dark Knight, Nitro had opened. We then proceeded to Skully and got two quick rides in on that. The Sky Ride was open so we chose to be lazy an take that to the other side of the park instead of walking. The rain was pretty steady at that point as we rode Mine Train, Bizzaro and El Toro. I noticed Ka was running and Zumanjaro testing but it was extremely sporadic, not allowing us to get a ride in on Kingda Ka. By the time we rode Green Lantern it was raining hard and we called it a day. It was a solid 4 hours in the park and not bad for opening day. Wish it was nicer though so we could have ridden a few more things. On to the ride reviews:

Batman The Ride: Fine wine. The older this ride gets the more and more it seems to kick some serious behind. Still smooth and intense, just were it left off from last season. Batman The Ride is really a testimony to how awesome B&M used to be, it is still one of my top 3 favorites in the park. "They don't make them like they used too."

The Dark Knight: One of the weaker mouse clones to begin with but it was even more lame with the lights on and no theming working. How Six Flags of them.

Nitro: The one train operations early on really left me scratching my head. I noticed that the only train running was the C train which gave some of the worst rides I've ever had on Nitro last season. I was bracing myself for a nice B&M rattle but then to my surprise I saw that the train had new wheels which helped the train's performance immensely. It wasn't Nitro's fastest ride but it was the smoothest ride I've had on it in awhile. Once these wheels are broken in a bit more it should be delivering high quality rides.

Skull Mountain: Always a fun time, we got to ride twice without leaving the station. I always wanted to ride it with the lights on cause its so dark in the building I really have no idea where the track is going.

Mine Train: One of my favorites in the park seeing it is one of two classic coasters I consider left in the park (The other being Batman The Ride) since they removed RT and GASM. Of course Six Flags had to pull a Six Flags and paint one of the trains a gross neon green with an advertisement on it. I was calling it the "EDM Coaster" all day. It really is sad to me that Great Adventure really could care less about maintaining and keeping their classic rides.

Bizzaro: Not much has changed with Medusa...I mean Bizzaro. Gave its usual solid ride.

El Toro: This was the tragedy of the day. One train running with horrible ride ops, no exaggeration it took 10 minutes to dispatch every train of riders. Up until this point every other coaster in the park was a walk on for the most part. We waited over an hour for Toro, even when boarded the train it took 5-10 minutes to send us on our way. I know I'm being dramatic but I was actually disgusted to the point where a ride op looked at me and I just shook my head. Call me a tough customer but I don't care this wasn't "opening day kinks" this was the same old problem with El Toro. Either the restraints weren't fitting the riders correctly or the ops had loaded the train the right way. The ride itself is still as magnificent as it always has been.

Green Lantern: Ow. It was pouring rain and sitting in the front didn't help either. It felt like I was being shot with BB pellets in the face which is a shame because minus the rain it was one of the smoother rides I've had on Green Lantern. Minimum heads banging and me legs held up.

Overall I had a fun day and I can't wait to see what the season has in store.

I disagree, if they redesign the entrance of the park, and create it as the entrance structure (gatekeeper style) and the train is traveling high enough up that no one can throw something at it, and then do a tunnel to return, it could work...

I do agree that NJ is a bit nuts about the saftey issue, but with the unfortunate clientele that SFGAdv seems to attract, it's definitly trying to do the right thing and keep everyone safe....

You do realize this is Six Flags and not Cedar Fair, right?

Construction is still on-going on the parks present new coaster...El Diablo

All jokes aside, El Diablo is still being built (and will still be marketed as a coaster).

The current TV ad running in New York DMA and the e-mail newsletter sent to pass holders both mention El Diablo as a new ride, no reference to it being a coaster.

That's good news! The website still shows it as a coaster though :/ https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/attractions/el-diablo/overview

Personally, I don't care how they advertise it. A new attraction/ride is a new attraction to me. Coaster or not! Its up to whoever wants to "count it" as part of their coaster count I guess.

Parks: Continuing to blur the lines between flat ride and rollercoaster!

At any rate, may have to add SFGAdv to my list of 2016 visits if a new coaster does indeed go in.