TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Nice to see Holiday in the Park coming to another Six Flags park, but considering that the park is in the north, I think they'll have some troubles keeping the outdoor coasters open in December and January (at least at night).

Edited by VF15

Can we all agree that having a few coasters to ride (even if it is just Dark Knight and Skull Mountain on select days) is better than having no coasters to ride?

In theory, it's great. But by the time this event rolls around, and the park for any reason can't get any of the B&Ms operating, I don't see myself driving an hour down to Jackson just to ride Skull Mountain.

Can we all agree that having a few coasters to ride (even if it is just Dark Knight and Skull Mountain on select days) is better than having no coasters to ride?

In theory, it's great. But by the time this event rolls around, and the park for any reason can't get any of the B&Ms operating, I don't see myself driving an hour down to Jackson just to ride Skull Mountain.

Maybe I just get really really desperate in the winter. I'd probably make the drive...

If the weather really allows them to get their B&Ms up and running in winter, sign me up. But this of course all remains to be seen. Its interesting that the park only lists their B&Ms, besides Bizarro.

I was thinking about this yesterday and I actually figured they'd end up with this list of coasters. I think whether they're open or not has more to do with the location than the manufacturers.

It actually makes a lot of sense... you know they'll want to block off some sections of the park when it makes sense to do so and since you knew they'd run Skull Mountain and Dark Knight it would stand to reason that they'd open the kids areas over there. Nitro and Batman are right there and that's why they're probably open because that area already needs to be.

On the other side of the park there's no way Golden Kingdom was going to be open... Kingda Ka is too temperamental and it's just so easy to block that area off with the gate that's already there and is already used frequently.

Plaza De Carnival will probably be closed too as closing it is really, really easy as there's only one way in.

This means they could either block off the path right at the Boardwalk (by Ted's) or a little further down by the Season Pass processing tent and the arcade.

To me the only thing that's up in the air (pun intended) is the Skyway and Mine Train. Generally parks always want to have the Skyway open for Christmas events, and I think the decorating fort with the lake in front reflecting the lights would look pretty awesome. I could see them running Skyway and Mine train and then blocking the path down by the bathrooms.

Skyway could always be a one way journey too...

Edited by coasterbill

I dunno man, I love me some Skull Mountain and easily the most underrated coaster in the park.

I for one am kind of stoked about this announcement. I would definitely take an hour drive up to the park for holiday decorations, food, etc if I could get some rides on Skull Mountain. Also, we've gotten some random mild weather in December here the past few years so I could see them opening up some of the B&Ms.

If anything, the off-season just got a lot shorter around these parts!

Thank god! If you would have told me yesterday that I could choose between this park not getting a coaster for 10 years and this park staying open with Nitro and Batman until January I'd pick the latter in a heartbeat. That's how much I love this. lol

Now we d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶D̶o̶l̶l̶y̶w̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶D̶e̶c̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ have somewhere to ride coasters in December / early January IN ADDITION to our annual Dollywood trip which we'll pretty much be taking every year forever because Dollywood Christmas is amazing.

You're right. I don't know why I'm not more excited about this, but for some reason I can't shake the thought that this endeavor will be a flop at GAdv. Perhaps when the event comes closer, I'll have a change of heart. I'm actually hoping that I do.

I don't think it will be a flop at all. It works for Hershey and it works for Lake Compounce. I think the fact that Hershey pulls it off so well is what gave Great Adventure the courage to pull the trigger on it. It's been tested in a similar market and the fact that they keep doing it would make me think it has potential.

Coasters won't be the draw, but by all accounts they did a great job with the lights and the event in general in Georgia and if they put some effort into it and advertise it well I see this being a success.

If they re-theme El Toro into El Raindeer with antlers I will be over in a heartbeat.

Sounds like Toro will not run (surely they would mention it in the announcement, no?), which is a huge bummer but

If they re-theme El Toro into El Raindeer with antlers I will be over in a heartbeat.

Sounds like Toro will not run (surely they would mention it in the announcement, no?), which is a huge bummer but

Yeah, I figure as much. I will need to get my rides on it in late June / early July when I'm over in the U.S. Can't wait to get back on it. I miss Nitro too.

According to Ryan El Toro doesn't do well in the cold in preseason and haunt. I can't imagine it doing better in winter.

I can concur - my last trip to the park in October of 2014, we rode Toro in the morning 4xs when it was in the mid-upper 40s and the train was CRAWLING over the last few bunnyhops - definitely the slowest rides I've ever had on it.

I totally agree with you