TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I am planning on visiting the park on Monday June 8th, I am planning on getting a gold level Flash Pass, will this be needed, or will I be fine without one?

I'd get one just so your assured multiple rides on the parks newest coaster, Looping Dragon.

Ok now that was funny!!

didnt get any replies last time so i'll try again hehe

Yay my first post

I have been reading many of the threads here for a veeery long time, but decided to join now.

I'm going to New York this summer in June, 12/6-20/6 (don't know if its the correct way to write in the US) and I'm planing to visit SFGA. I was thinking I could use some tips from people that have been visiting the park since I basically know zero of the practical stuff. I have read the park description in the park index and it have been very useful, but I would like to hear some more personal opinions/suggestions/tips.

I'm planning to visit the park on a Monday since I'm assuming it wont be that crowded compared to the weekends, or should I choose a different day to visit the park? I'm staying 10 days so I have some options.

I read that the bus from the Port Authority Bus Terminal to the park is a good option to get there, I saw that you can gett some sort of discount by purchasing the bus ticket and park entrance in one, does anyone know how it works?

Should I buy a flashpass? If, which one of them, and when should I buy it?

I have read the suggested order you should ride the coasters at the park index, but does anyone have their own personal preference to get the most out of the day?

Haha I'm sorry for asking that many questions in one post.. I would really appreciate if I got some replies

// Erik

Yay my first post

I have been reading many of the threads here for a veeery long time, but decided to join now.

I'm going to New York this summer in June, 12/6-20/6 (don't know if its the correct way to write in the US) and I'm planing to visit SFGA. I was thinking I could use some tips from people that have been visiting the park since I basically know zero of the practical stuff. I have read the park description in the park index and it have been very useful, but I would like to hear some more personal opinions/suggestions/tips.

I'm planning to visit the park on a Monday since I'm assuming it wont be that crowded compared to the weekends, or should I choose a different day to visit the park? I'm staying 10 days so I have some options.

I read that the bus from the Port Authority Bus Terminal to the park is a good option to get there, I saw that you can gett some sort of discount by purchasing the bus ticket and park entrance in one, does anyone know how it works?

Should I buy a flashpass? If, which one of them, and when should I buy it?

I have read the suggested order you should ride the coasters at the park index, but does anyone have their own personal preference to get the most out of the day?

Haha I'm sorry for asking that many questions in one post.. I would really appreciate if I got some replies

// Erik

Mondays early in the summer are very manageable. Any day early in the week (Monday-Wednesday) shouldn't be too crowded. I don't know about the transportation, unfortunately. Maybe somebody else can tell you. As for flash pass, I would definitely wait until you get to the park to decide on that as you'll get a feel for the crowds based on the weather/special events (check the SF website). If it is a nice day, it could get moderately crowded, meaning without a Flash pass you could be looking at up to 45 mins for the headliners (excluding Kingda Ka) and walk on to 15 mins for other coasters/rides. If you choose to, a gold flash pass will suffice.

As for ride order, everybody will tell you something else for this park. If you get a flash pass you don't need to worry about it, but without, I recommend heading left at the fountain and going either...

1) Directly to Kingda Ka for a quick 1-2 rides, if it's a priority (sit close to the front of the train)

2)Directly to Superman/Green Lantern, as Superman get long waits midday with low capacity for 1-2 rides each

3) My personal route, dash to El Toro for 2-3 straight rides with no waits. Sit in the back of El Toro at least once, it's amazing. If you choose this, I would recommend going to Kingda Ka after about 15 minutes while the wait is still short. You might not get a shorter wait for Superman, but on a Monday it shouldn't be too bad.

Really it all depends on what you want to re-ride most. You might catch a cool/rainy day with no waits at all.

You buy the combination ticket through New Jersey Transit http://www.njtransit.com/var/var_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=SixFlagsServiceTo

NJ Transit will give you a ticket/voucher for admission to SFGAdv. Check the link I provided as it gets closer to your trip

Edited by larrygator

Mondays early in the summer are very manageable. Any day early in the week (Monday-Wednesday) shouldn't be too crowded. I don't know about the transportation, unfortunately. Maybe somebody else can tell you. As for flash pass, I would definitely wait until you get to the park to decide on that as you'll get a feel for the crowds based on the weather/special events (check the SF website). If it is a nice day, it could get moderately crowded, meaning without a Flash pass you could be looking at up to 45 mins for the headliners (excluding Kingda Ka) and walk on to 15 mins for other coasters/rides. If you choose to, a gold flash pass will suffice.

As for ride order, everybody will tell you something else for this park. If you get a flash pass you don't need to worry about it, but without, I recommend heading left at the fountain and going either...

1) Directly to Kingda Ka for a quick 1-2 rides, if it's a priority (sit close to the front of the train)

2)Directly to Superman/Green Lantern, as Superman get long waits midday with low capacity for 1-2 rides each

3) My personal route, dash to El Toro for 2-3 straight rides with no waits. Sit in the back of El Toro at least once, it's amazing. If you choose this, I would recommend going to Kingda Ka after about 15 minutes while the wait is still short. You might not get a shorter wait for Superman, but on a Monday it shouldn't be too bad.

Really it all depends on what you want to re-ride most. You might catch a cool/rainy day with no waits at all.

Thanks for the respond! I'm thinking of buying the platinum flashpass even if its awfully expensive hehe, in Sweden you cant pay to skip the lines so i'm thinking of it more as an fun thing that's very american, it would sure be really stupid by me to buy one and the park isn't that crowded, but i'm better safe than sorry haha it's not like you spend that extra money every time you visit a park

You buy the combination ticket through New Jersey Transit http://www.njtransit.com/var/var_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=SixFlagsServiceTo

NJ Transit will give you a ticket/voucher for admission to SFGAdv. Check the link I provided as it gets closer to your trip

Thank you! do you know approximately how early the buses are scheduled on weekdays in that period? correct me if i'm wrong but from what i've read in the timetables from past years they depart at 09:30 am, but i'm not quite sure haha

Thank you! do you know approximately how early the buses are scheduled on weekdays in that period? correct me if i'm wrong but from what i've read in the timetables from past years they depart at 09:30 am, but i'm not quite sure haha

That time sounds about right. In the past, the earliest arrived at the park shortly after the park opens.

Just got this in a email from sfgadv. Awesome

New Celebration Stickers are Available

Celebration stickers are here! Six Flags Great Adventure has always celebrated our guests, but now we want you to tell us why you are celebrating! Stop by Main Street stores or other select retail locations and tell a cashier if you serve our country, if it's your birthday, a special anniversary or occasion. You'll receive a sticker to let everyone you encounter know why you're having a Six Flags day!

When the park (or any business) moves to expand infrustructure, typically that means they want to expand overall. Perhaps we will see growth and development coming? GADV has been in a bit of decline recently. Anyone who has been visiting the park over 10 years fairly often will agree that the park looks terrible these days.

But maybe the tides are turning. I'm just being hopeful about my home park though.

I'd rather they clean up the park, add some nice landscaping, and maybe renovate some areas before they expand. Because even if they add a beautiful expansion (remember when The Golden Kingdom looked really nice?), if they neglect the rest of the park beforehand it will be for nothing.

I'd rather they clean up the park, add some nice landscaping, and maybe renovate some areas before they expand. Because even if they add a beautiful expansion (remember when The Golden Kingdom looked really nice?), if they neglect the rest of the park beforehand it will be for nothing.

They could have done this instead of adding a carnival attraction that will do little to attract guests. New paint on current rides would have been a much better use of whatever they paid for looping dragon.

They could have done this instead of adding a carnival attraction that will do little to attract guests. New paint on current rides would have been a much better use of whatever they paid for looping dragon.

To be fair though Rolling Thunder's queue is an eyesore and it did need renovation anyway so re-using it for a new ride and refreshing the area is a very good thing and seems to fall in line with the kind of updates you're looking for.

Can you please provide the cost analysis you have done to compare the number of new guests attracted by new paint versus and a new ride?

Also, you may be out of the loop, the ride's name has been changed to El Diablo and it is not a carnival version of the ride it is a permanent installation.

^I'm sorry if i offend you in some way by my opinion. Also, I never said new paint would attract guests. I simply think it would be a better investment than "El Diablo."

It's my opinion Larry and I'm sticking to it. I respect you and most of the opinions you have. Maybe we just disagree on this one.

Let's hope this is a turnaround for great adventure, hopefully Six Flags has been looking at what Cedar Fair has been doing over the past few years. Take Carowinds for example... A few years ago most enthusiasts outside of the south east were not even looking at the park, now we're all making plans to go there because of great new rides like fury and intimidator as well as a new entrance to really spruce things up! Maybe Six Flags Great Adventure is planning something along the same lines, in their own way. I do agree that Six Flags Great Adventure has been declining over the past few seasons, and a few million dollars throwing towards re-imagining the resort aspect could lead to a major increase in attendance! Let's be honest, major attractions that they've been adding in the past decade or two have been great for the park, but creating a world-class atmosphere that goes along with the world-class rides would make it top-notch once again!

Let's hope this is a turnaround for great adventure, hopefully Six Flags has been looking at what Cedar Fair has been doing over the past few years. Take Carowinds for example... A few years ago most enthusiasts outside of the south east were not even looking at the park, now we're all making plans to go there because of great new rides like fury and intimidator as well as a new entrance to really spruce things up! Maybe Six Flags Great Adventure is planning something along the same lines, in their own way. I do agree that Six Flags Great Adventure has been declining over the past few seasons, and a few million dollars throwing towards re-imagining the resort aspect could lead to a major increase in attendance! Let's be honest, major attractions that they've been adding in the past decade or two have been great for the park, but creating a world-class atmosphere that goes along with the world-class rides would make it top-notch once again!

I've had mixed feelings about Great Adventure over the past few years. On one hand, they've really shifted their focus from only thrill coasters all the time towards a more well rounded park with a little more for non-coaster riders to do. On the other hand, I honestly can't say they've done a great job of it.

The individual investments they've made the past few years have been pretty good. Green Lantern is nothing special at all, but a decent replacement for the Scream Machine. Adventure Alley was probably what they needed most, and was well executed. The Safari is fantastic and is very popular once again, and it is a unique attraction for those that don't do thrill rides.

Then we get to Zumanjaro. On one hand; the ride is OMFG insane and is something the park needed, as well as getting a new, record-breaking thrill ride, which is great every once in a while. On the other hand, they removed a piece of the park's history in Rolling Thunder, created a HUGE empty area with a false promise for baboons in the queue and "future expansion" (as of this point), and killed the capacity of the coaster that draws the longest lines and those from beyond the region to the park. Combined with the abysmal construction timeline, if this figure is correct, there are far superior options to spend almost $10,000,000.

I'm completely fine with the park taking an "off-year" after such a mess, spending so much more than they intended. El Diablo seems like a perfectly fine flat ride to me; other than the marketing of the ride, I honestly don't see why so many complain about this. And no, it is not a valid argument to say it is a better investment to clean up the park than to add this ride. It's a SF policy to add a new ride each year, and new paint will draw no more than zero guests.

That's where my issues with the park continue, though. Movie Town needs tons of work. El Toro's been plastered with a banner and ads. Kingda Ka is operated like crap and the Golden Kingdom in general isn't, well, the Golden Kingdom. Bizarro's ops didn't have any reason to run three trains in 2014. The park is desperately lacking shows. The midways are cracked to pieces in some areas. The water tower looks like Batman theming, not in a good way. The parking lot is borderline illegal, and it seems they have absolutely no intention of fixing it. The park seriously could use another water ride. The opening procedures/gold pass entry is a mess and I hate every part of it. I don't ride Superman anymore because of its operations. Nitro's queue bars are one foot tall, and the ride looks like crap. It's junkyard themed.

I don't mean to rag on the park at all; I rarely do because I love the park to death. There are just countless things the park needs to improve on before it should ever consider becoming a resort destination.

This park has SO much potential to be the best park on the east coast and one of the best parks in the world, but I seriously question if they realize that and if they really do have a "Master Plan."

^I'm sorry if i offend you in some way by my opinion. Also, I never said new paint would attract guests. I simply think it would be a better investment than "El Diablo."

It's my opinion Larry and I'm sticking to it. I respect you and most of the opinions you have. Maybe we just disagree on this one.

Your opinion does not offend me. Your repeated bashing of a yet to open ride ad nauseam is not productive. You have stated dozens of times that you don't agree with the park's decision on the ride, we ALL get it.