TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

The better the park looks, the more I will enjoy my visits here and the GP would come back over and over again.

This a million times over. Great Adventure has one of the best coaster line ups, but it's also the ugliest theme park I've ever seen. I'd much rather pay even more for season passes (which are already dirt cheap) provided they clean the place up and tone down the advertising just a bit.

I love the idea of a completely solar powered amusement park but it makes me uncomfortable to think they'll be taking down so much forest land. Why don't they put them over the parking lot and then put the remainder in the forest? I hope other parks use solar power but put the panels over the parking lot. Small squished parks like SFDK wouldn't have any other option, anyway.

I love the idea of a completely solar powered amusement park but it makes me uncomfortable to think they'll be taking down so much forest land. Why don't they put them over the parking lot and then put the remainder in the forest? I hope other parks use solar power but put the panels over the parking lot. Small squished parks like SFDK wouldn't have any other option, anyway.

This is from Rainbow Magicland in Italy. I would love to see these in US park's parking lots. It would also help keep your car cool on those hot summer days.

431871_4327470427534_796931768_n.jpg.8efbee19a3f40600db9f93080346862b.jpg

Yay my first post

I have been reading many of the threads here for a veeery long time, but decided to join now.

I'm going to New York this summer in June, 12/6-20/6 (don't know if its the correct way to write in the US) and I'm planing to visit SFGA. I was thinking I could use some tips from people that have been visiting the park since I basically know zero of the practical stuff. I have read the park description in the park index and it have been very useful, but I would like to hear some more personal opinions/suggestions/tips.

I'm planning to visit the park on a Monday since I'm assuming it wont be that crowded compared to the weekends, or should I choose a different day to visit the park? I'm staying 10 days so I have some options.

I read that the bus from the Port Authority Bus Terminal to the park is a good option to get there, I saw that you can gett some sort of discount by purchasing the bus ticket and park entrance in one, does anyone know how it works?

Should I buy a flashpass? If, which one of them, and when should I buy it?

I have read the suggested order you should ride the coasters at the park index, but does anyone have their own personal preference to get the most out of the day?

Haha I'm sorry for asking that many questions in one post.. I would really appreciate if I got some replies

// Erik

I'm still pretty shocked that anything like this is even being proposed at a US park. The US always seems like the last place on earth that an energy-saving, eco-friendly project would take place. Indeed, those parking lot covers look fantastic! But of course, does Six Flags really need another structure to maintain? Perhaps the forest is a better option.

More tax payer money down the toilet for something that will only work half the time...

You are misinformed.

Why are you saying that taxes will be wasted? The project is not going to subsidized in any way.

Why are you under the impression it will work only have the time. Solar power is quite reliable today. The projection of the solar panels being able to power the park most of the season sounds reasonable.

To take this amounts of energy off of the power grid during the season, and then throw it right back into the grade in the off-season is a win-win win-win! I think it's a great idea, although I do agree with everyone discussing putting them in the parking lot. I seen that done at many government buildings on Long Island, and it really does seem to work very well! The only concern would be the amount of incidents that could come from accidentally driving into the posts.

More tax payer money down the toilet for something that will only work half the time...

You are misinformed.

Why are you saying that taxes will be wasted? The project is not going to subsidized in any way.

Why are you under the impression it will work only have the time. Solar power is quite reliable today. The projection of the solar panels being able to power the park most of the season sounds reasonable.

you do know that that the govt gives tax breaks for this.

Yeah, the panels are subsidized, but not as much as they were recently. Most of the big tax breaks for installing them have been expired for a few years now. Why complain about the government investing in clean, renewable energy, especially since the technology is cheaper, more reliable, and more efficient? Amusement parks use a lot of energy, and this is definitely going to make an impact on the environment and the local electrical grid. Although, this project could be better with the construction of the covers versus cutting down all of those trees, it's still a positive addition to the industry. What would you rather see? An oil refinery in the parking lot?

I believe GADV's parking lot is way too big for these panels to become a reality, that is if they are installed at the lot. However, solar energy can be used all throughout the park like on buildings and over the queue lines. I really can't wait for the future of this park!

The panels are supposed to fill 100 square acres. The parking lot is approximately 56 square acres so the parking lot is too small actually. But putting them on buildings is a good idea

You are misinformed.

you do know that that the govt gives tax breaks for this.

Yes, I read the article.

There is a difference between the government funding a project and the government giving tax breaks. Also, if you read the article you would have seen that the new use of the land creates more tax revenue for the state The area is not developed and the solar field would help meet the needs of the facility. The project would put some land back on the tax rolls. So it is not conclusive what the net tax gain/loss is for either side.

I believe GADV's parking lot is way too big for these panels to become a reality, that is if they are installed at the lot. However, solar energy can be used all throughout the park like on buildings and over the queue lines. I really can't wait for the future of this park!

Over when lines...that is kind of genius.... Especially if a park was doing a future theme.... Tomorrow land could totally do this, if there were any lines outside...

Totally off topic but relative to the park:

I'm just curious about this and figured someone here would likely have some insight. Was there ever any plans or even hints that SF would clone El Toro or that they had plans to install other Plug N Plays at other SF parks? Obviously their current relationship with RMC is the reason they aren't installing other PNPs NOW but after Toro opened to such success was there ever any plans to keep installing more PNPs elsewhere? Again, just curious. It baffles me that its generally considered the best woodie on the planet, and the only Plug N Play in the U.S (and one of only 4 in the world).

Speaking of Toro, anyone aware of any GOOD backseat POV's of the ride? There are plenty but all hand held and shakey and generally crappy. Ive always felt front seat POVs, which there are plenty of decent ones, never do the ride justice. The way it slowly, hangs over the drop, etc, it just doesn't capture the height and general extremeness of the ride. I would love to see a great back seat POV filmed with a mounted cam and with riders on the train. Maybe Robb has one and he's holding out on us? LOL

OK carry on...

Totally off topic but relative to the park:

I'm just curious about this and figured someone here would likely have some insight. Was there ever any plans or even hints that SF would clone El Toro or that they had plans to install other Plug N Plays at other SF parks? Obviously their current relationship with RMC is the reason they aren't installing other PNPs NOW but after Toro opened to such success was there ever any plans to keep installing more PNPs elsewhere? Again, just curious. It baffles me that its generally considered the best woodie on the planet, and the only Plug N Play in the U.S (and one of only 4 in the world).

Speaking of Toro, anyone aware of any GOOD backseat POV's of the ride? There are plenty but all hand held and shakey and generally crappy. Ive always felt front seat POVs, which there are plenty of decent ones, never do the ride justice. The way it slowly, hangs over the drop, etc, it just doesn't capture the height and general extremeness of the ride. I would love to see a great back seat POV filmed with a mounted cam and with riders on the train. Maybe Robb has one and he's holding out on us? LOL

OK carry on...

I doubt SF has any plans to build more Plug N Plays because they are very expensive. GADV never released an official price tag for Toro but the maintenance guys at the ride have told me it was about 28 million which is ALOT. Especially for a wooden coaster.

Like I said, I don't think they would either due to what they have going with RMC, my question is did they ever consider or were there hints or plans with SF adding other PNPs in other parks?