TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

To add to my last post, I'll steal Chuck's post off of GadvUpdates.com:

ChuckR wrote:

I just want to say something, everyone saying this ride is being built wayyy to slow! Yesterday alone, they were working on 6 parts of the ride!

They were putting up a bent for the start of the drop. Just to let you know the bent alone is taller than RT!

Another area they were working on is the anti-rollback for the lift, they were lifting a piece for it while we were there.

Another area, was for the second hill. They were laying down track while we were there.

Another area, was for RT's infield where they had at least about 30 guys working and pouring footers while we were there!

The final area was the workers putting together another bent to be lifted up into place.

I respect these guys and congratulate them on the hard work there doing for this ride! Because it looks amazing!!!

Also, I can't wait to hear the upstops on El Toro. I watched the Colossos video and that noise sent a tingle in my spine. Feeling airtime is one thing, seeing it in the video is another thing. But hearing it, that's something chilling!

Yea, I noticed the noise Colossos makes in the video. It's like the coaster has it's own roar. Maybe they should rename El Toro, Roar. Anyway, I saw ChuckR's post yesterday, so that's why I was guessing May.

By the way, thanks RJ for the DerekRx post. I feel alot better about El Toro being open by June 3rd.

Thanks for the update as to why the first drop is not going to be done for quite a while, that gives me a little more confidence. You'd think they would have mentioned that somewhere in the construction journal since the only people who even look at that thing are us coastertools. I would like to think an early to mid-May opening will happen, though I'm also still thinking SF is being a little cautious with this ride, which is one of the reasons why they pushed back Coaster Celebration. (They may claim its because they didn't want people to have to decide between Cedar Point's event and theirs, but they just changed it to compete with ACE's Annual Convention). I'd like to hope its opened before Memorial Day weekend, but I think all that depends on the remainder of the winter as well as any testing snags, etc. Let's not forget, this is Six Flags, and it IS Great Adventure, who really doesn't have the best track record for rides that aren't built by B&M. Just don't be booking your flights to ride this thing until its a little closer to opening, if even then.

Still, thanks for the photos, it shows that they are actually making progress, unlike what they show on the construction journal. At least this goes into some more detail and we can see just how far along they're moving. Hopefully this bad boy will cooperate and we'll have lots of TRs from those of us who have ridden it come May.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the link, Rider117.

I saw the pics earlier when FlyinPhil posted them at gadv.com, and I'm starting to worry that El Toro won't be ready when I go in early June. I would've thought that they'd be pretty much done by now, so much for prefab.

^ Well we DID have a pretty awesome woodie at one point. It was called "GhostRider" and that ride seriously KICKED SOME ASS.

Today it still has a lot of power, if you don't mind getting a spinal adjustment while riding.

It's not as bad as Psyclone, but I'd say it's on par with Colossus now in terms of roughness.

At least it still has the airtime.

As for El Toro, I'm bummed it's taking so long, but if it's even half as good as either Heide Park's Colossos or Liseberg's Balder then it's WELL worth the wait!

--Robb

^ It actually really kicked ass when it first open. But between the 1994 Northridge earthquake almost destroying it and the trains tearing the ride apart (from what I've been told) that ride is just a POS today.

--Robb

Wow, that first drop looks really good, but yeah I'm kinda worried about how long its taking them to get anywhere. Of course its no surprise, we pretty much all knew the thing would be late opening even last year. Pretty soon it will be too sunny, too warm, or too rainy for them to get much work done.

oh man. i cant imagine the back seat on that drop. thats kinda frightening. im all psyched. i cant wait! this can quite possibly be the SROS:SFNE of woodies... is that a brown/red mine train i see!?

hey Robb,

how do these trains ride? and how is the leg room?

hey Robb,

I'm not trying to answer for Robb, but the trains on El Toro will vary from those previously built Intamin woodies. They have "giovanola" esque lap bars, and "wings" at about shoulder height.

JC

hey Robb,

I'm not trying to answer for Robb, but the trains on El Toro will vary from those previously built Intamin woodies. They have "giovanola" esque lap bars, and "wings" at about shoulder height.

JC

How do you know this?

hey Robb,

JC

How do you know this?