TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I've only ridden 15 B&M's but they were all consistently smooth. I've never been on Apocalypse, but since I'll be in Baltimore for a few days in the summer I'll probably check out SFA and try it. I'm pretty sure Iron Wolf was one of the first coasters B&M ever manufactured, so the roughness could be a result of its age... maybe Six Flags just didn't maintain it well or did something wrong when they reinstalled it.

I think a lot of people just find stand up coasters uncomfortable, which is totally reasonable. I feel like any roughness comes from the position you're standing in itself. A bike seat is basically shoved into your crotch and your feet are stapled to the ground making you feel every rumble in the track. You're not going to feel that on a B&M floorless or hyper coaster.

Iron Wolf was B&M's first design, built in 1990. This is a ride that was designed and engineered with late 1980's technology, so you can't expect it to be butter smooth, especially being 25 years old. That being said, the ride is garbage. Most days at SFA the single train running is less than half full.

I have ridden Green Lantern a few times at Gadv. While it isn't perfect by any means, it is more enjoyable than many sit down coasters (and all SLC's) and has a much more interesting layout, which is a redeeming quality. Many have the same opinion for Riddler's Revenge, but there is a reason Cedar Point is investing millions right now to make Mantis not a stand up. Just something to keep in mind.

The old school standups are crap... actually most standups are crap (Green Lantern especially as well as the old school ones). Other than that I've never ridden a rough B&M (Including Scream, I don't find it rough at all though it's really ugly).

there is a reason Cedar Point is investing millions right now to make Mantis not a stand up. Just something to keep in mind.

Exactly. Mantis wasn't a very popular attraction (compared to the rest of Cedar Point's lineup in recent years) because most people simply don't like stand ups. Even coaster enthusiasts, the same people who defend and love bumpy old woodies, seem to hate stand ups for the most part. I have a feeling that everyone who found Mantis rough will find Rougarou smooth and it will start drawing out larger crowds.

I guess I'm in the minority for never thinking Mantis or Green Lantern were rough. Hell, I've had rougher rides on El Toro than either of those two.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm not saying El Toro is rough because it's not. At all.

I never found Mantis rough, but there was some pretty bad headbanging during the finale. Green Lantern to me is incredibly painful. The first time I rode it, it pulled a muscle in my leg (but that was partially my fault for riding it with a leg injury). Tried it again this year and found it slightly less painful. The only difference was my leg in one piece. It's the ONLY B&M I've ridden out of 40 some that I will NOT ride again.

I never found Mantis rough, but there was some pretty bad headbanging during the finale. Green Lantern to me is incredibly painful. The first time I rode it, it pulled a muscle in my leg (but that was partially my fault for riding it with a leg injury). Tried it again this year and found it slightly less painful. The only difference was my leg in one piece. It's the ONLY B&M I've ridden out of 40 some that I will NOT ride again.

I usually skip Green Lantern when I visit.

I think a lot of people just find stand up coasters uncomfortable, which is totally reasonable. I feel like any roughness comes from the position you're standing in itself. A bike seat is basically shoved into your crotch and your feet are stapled to the ground making you feel every rumble in the track. You're not going to feel that on a B&M floorless or hyper coaster.

I think they really are rough (at least some). They may not be the most comfortable rides because of the your position as they put a lot of pressure on your legs but I personally would be able to ignore that. My problem was that there was some headbanging. I never had any "crotch" problems. Why were they rougher than the average B&M at the time I don't know but (in my case) it really was the roughness that bothered me.

there is a reason Cedar Point is investing millions right now to make Mantis not a stand up. Just something to keep in mind.

Even coaster enthusiasts, the same people who defend and love bumpy old woodies, seem to hate stand ups for the most part.

Did you mean to say "enthusiasts, the same people who will bitch and moan constantly about the slightest bit of uncomfort" ?

^Haha! True. I seem to be one of the few people here who likes the concept of standup coasters but the fact is the only two I've ridden (mantis and green lantern) were not entirely enjoyable for other reasons (roughness). I've said plenty of times how I'd like too see a new one getting built as things like B&M's vest restraints and even the "forcelessness" of some of their newer rides would probably make them more enjoyable.

I've ridden three (Apocalypse, Green Lantern, Mantis), and Green Lantern was by far the best. Even so, the only coasters ill wait for at Gadv are El Toro, Kingda Ka, Nitro, Batman and Bizarro (to an extent).

I've heard Georgia Scorcher is the smoothest of the stand ups, but Riddler's is close with a better layout.

I've heard Georgia Scorcher is the smoothest of the stand ups, but Riddler's is close with a better layout.

Riddler's Revenge is slightly better than GL, but it isn't smooth by any stretch of the imagination.