TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

The Larson Fireball ride is a good fit for parks like SFA and SFDK. It's an okay fit for SFOG. However, I really think SFGAdv drew the short straw with this year's additions, as they deserved something better. Perhaps not a full size coaster, but at least something more noteworthy than a carnival ride. I do like that Six Flags tries to add something new to each park every year, but if it results in additions like this I wonder if it is truly worth it.

Honestly, I think something like the GCI Big Fun concept, but modified for higher capacity, would have been perfect for SFGAdv. It would give them a traditional wooden coaster, a good bridge coaster, and probably would be under $5 million (I'm guessing closer to $3 million). Plus, they could stick that in Rolling Thunder's spot and name it El Torito or something relevant like that.

I personally think Six Flags may be over-extending themselves by having to manage so many parks. I imagine that is a large reason for their bankruptcy issues back in 2009 (recession and other issues didn't help). I imagine they do revenue-sharing amongst the parks (meaning they don't just use revenues from one park to expand that one park); however, with so many parks to deal with, it is bound to happen that some parks get ignored in favor of the bigger parks that can support growth due to popularity and a larger consumer base.

Magic Mountain might get more attention because, although there are a good number of parks in Southern California, there really aren't any major competitors to its thrill-park status in the Western third of the U.S. (Knott's and DK being the closest). Plus I'm sure SF doesn't want its "coaster capital" title taken away. Here in the NE, a lot of parks are clustered in a much tighter sector, ones that are much more comparable, so Great Adventure has a lot more competition to deal with. If people want to ride a bunch of roller coasters, they have a lot more options in the NE U.S. as compared to the Western U.S.

I think if SF would sell off some of their properties, all the properties would be better off in the long run. I'm just speculating, of course. It could be that the smaller sell-offs could die due to lack of funding (again assuming SF does revenue-sharing amongst all its parks). Plus it would be a matter of finding buyers. Personally, I'd love to buy an amusement park - time to hit a crowdfunding site!

The Larson Fireball ride is a good fit for parks like SFA and SFDK. It's an okay fit for SFOG. However, I really think SFGAdv drew the short straw with this year's additions, as they deserved something better. Perhaps not a full size coaster, but at least something more noteworthy than a carnival ride.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I 100% agree with this. It would've been nice to see an expansion to Hurricane Harbor, or like a frisbee style ride that we saw great escape get last year.

The Larson Fireball ride is a good fit for parks like SFA and SFDK. It's an okay fit for SFOG. However, I really think SFGAdv drew the short straw with this year's additions, as they deserved something better. Perhaps not a full size coaster, but at least something more noteworthy than a carnival ride.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I 100% agree with this. It would've been nice to see an expansion to Hurricane Harbor, or like a frisbee style ride that we saw great escape get last year.

I would have loved to see a HH update! Not super impressed overall with this addition, but if they are able to couple it with improvements and maintenance upgrades throughout the park...I'm ok with it.

Very, very concerned they ditched Namtab last second. I still haven't tried that experience and it would be enough to satisfy my new coaster craving for another year. I rode a Ring of Fire a few weeks ago...still can't believe that's our new "coaster" that will be ready to go "late spring!"

Here's to hoping 2016 is the year we been waiting 10 years for...

I think if SF would sell off some of their properties, all the properties would be better off in the long run. I'm just speculating, of course. It could be that the smaller sell-offs could die due to lack of funding (again assuming SF does revenue-sharing amongst all its parks). Plus it would be a matter of finding buyers. Personally, I'd love to buy an amusement park - time to hit a crowdfunding site!

FYI, unless I'm horribly mistaken, this already happened. Early on, SF only owned a few parks. They expanded a bit, then they expanded a lot, buying a whole bunch of parks (including parks like La Ronde, Canada's Wonderland, and so on). They ran into MASSIVE problems having so many parks, so they sold off the less profitable ones. That's how you end up with today. Allegedly this is the leaner, more profitable Six Flags.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Flags

OK, so reading this, I have it a little backwards, but the essentials are there. Six Flags started out with a few parks, then bought a few parks (including Great Adventure). Along the same time a smaller group Premier Parks was creating and acquiring some regional parks. Premier bought Six Flags, then went on an extended buying binge. Eventually they had too much debt, and a shareholder revolt ensued, and they started selling off parks, first one at a time, then more aggressively.

I do in some ways agree with you though. Great Escape is certainly more of a regional park and I can't imagine that it generates that much in the way of revenue. The other smaller revenue parks, like La Ronde, SF America, SF DK, SF FT, SF Mexico, SFNE are still quite prominent for the given region, even if they are not the major park in their major area like SFMM, SFOT, SFOG, SFStL, SFGAm, SFGAdv.

You could probably make an argument that concentrating on the big six would result in more revenue... but conversely, those smaller parks might help keep SF as a worldwide brand, as opposed to something that is more specific to certain markets.

At the end of the day, SF is a public company, and there's a lot of analysis and effort that goes into their decisions. I realize that when you spend time in the parks riding the rides that it might not seem like they have multiple full time people who just look at things like financing and debt vs return, but they do.

It's amazing the cries of "we didn't get anything" from a park that since 2000 as built a B&M Mega, flying, and stand up coaster, a waterpark with several additions, a prefab wooden coaster, multiple flat and family rides, the world's highest drop ride, and completely redesigned safari included in the park.

It's amazing the cries of "we didn't get anything" from a park that since 2000 as built a B&M Mega, flying, and stand up coaster, a waterpark with several additions, a prefab wooden coaster, multiple flat and family rides, the world's highest drop ride, and completely redesigned safari included in the park.

Who said 2000? 2006 was the last major year for the park

honestly, I don't think it's a bad addition, but Green Lantern was a relocation (not to mention that it's not "great"), the flats were geared toward families, and the Safari was more fun when you could drive your car through it. I don't mean to sound negative, but Zumanjaro has been the only good thing in a long time. It's all just going to be a matter of opinions, which are all different.

Even though we are getting crap next year, in turn 2016 should bring something amazing. Hopefully

Sweet! A brand new Gravitron!

a world record breaking Gravitron

No, no, no! You got it all wrong. Starship 2000 for the win!!!

Leaked Image of Six Flags Great Adventure's 13th coaster, "Goliath"

Coming 2016

image.jpg.61940568901ab53ed117b093dc489016.jpg

Went for the night today, and got my Zumanjaro and Bizzaro credits! Bizzaro was nice, and actually quite intense with all the elements it had like the fire and the mist, a solid B&M for sure! Zumanjaro was INCREDIBLE! The lift hill just kept going up faster and faster and especially since I rode it at night when it was dark it made it more scary! The drop was gradual, but INSANE! It definitely was worth the 45 minute wait and is the best drop tower I have EVER been on! I'm going tomorrow again, hopefully with some pictures too!

Even though we are getting crap next year, in turn 2016 should bring something amazing. Hopefully

Coming 2016

No no no no...

You've got it all wrong. Looping Dragon is the 13th coaster! Goliath would be 14!

Coming 2016

No no no no...

You've got it all wrong. Looping Dragon is the 13th coaster! Goliath would be 14!

But there's a twist. Goliath would be built by Triotech so is it a coaster at all? Is it just a dark ride, a coaster, or 7D experience? Maybe Six Flags would market it as all three.

^^Yep, and while were at it, Let's count Zumanjaro as three coasters. I mean those are actually more like a coaster than a Super Loop! Who Agrees?

Anyways though, it could have been a lot worse. At least we are getting something and not "Maison Rouge" or "Buccaneer Beach".

Heck, my home park is Great America, and were getting no thrill ride at all. Staying positive about the other rides is a great thing to do. Twisted colossus, Wicked cyclone, Batman? All of those rides look awesome! Despite the super Loops being marketed as coasters, and the overabundance of them, this could be the best year for Six Flags in a long time! Oh, and the Super Loops are actually quite fun - reserve judgment until you ride - you'll probably like it.