TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

^My only concern with the Intamin winged seats would be clearance issues during the twists up and dow the tower, the train already gets pretty close to some of those supports.

I also think they are pretty heavy compared to the normal ones.

^^I don't know, a 300+ foot vertical loop would be pretty awesome!

Now that would be something. And it would break two records: tallest loop and tallest inversion.

So like I said on Friday my sister and I finally made it up to the park and it was PACKED all day. It was my 7th trip to the park since opening day and easily the most crowded I've seen it this season. Upon arrival @ the park around 10:15 the line to get through security was insane. I hate to admit but we kind shuffled around the crowd and jumped as much as we could to get to the front and got in pretty quicky. Because we noticed how packed the lot already was and had seen so many groups of kids with matching shirts (camps trips/class trips? beautiful weather? some teeny-bopper concert?) we went straight for FlashPass HQs since that too even had a serious line right away. This time I asked for the frequent user card so I no longer have to sit through that dumb movie. As my sister hadn't been to the park in quite some time and hadn't done everything at park, we really wanted to get a lot in and not have to stand in line with kids all day.

First reservation was Toro and while the FP had us set up for an immediate ride, when we got to the entrance it was completely closed. We saw some empty trains (testing?) and decided to head toward Bizarro since it was close by. Didn't need FP, as it was a walk on this early so we reserved Nitro while we did this. Sat in the front of Bizarro for the full floorless experience and it was fun as usual. I'm Bizarro fan so it was a nice first ride of the day. My sis had ridden it as Medusa so she dug the paint job and fireballs but kind of knew what to expect. We got to do it once later as the sun set so the smoke/lights added a bit more to that ride.

After Bizarro we attempted Mine Train but the line was long and with FP it would have been 15 mins so we reserved Nitro and jumped on the Skyride which had no line. Upon touching down we popped into the line-less Skull Mountain for a back seat ride and just awesome fun as always. Sis was surprised by the airtime on the drop (her words: "my ass was completely out of my seat!!!") but laughed her ass off right along with me the whole ride. Then to Nitro for a back seat ride. Managed to avoid train C and had a nice smooth ride. Looked for any sign of work in Old Country/Movie Town as we headed up the lift, but nothing that I could tell. After departing we popped right over to Batman for a backseat, very intense, positive G filled, yet smooth ride. I have fallen in love with this coaster this summer. So great.

As this point we saw El Toro was available again and had 30 minute wait for us, so we reserved and took a stroll around the lakefront and killed some time in the arcade near Attitudes until our time to ride. Sat in the magic seat and it was fantastic. Shame the lines were so long as I would have killed to get more rides in on this. It was around this time - between 1-2pm we noticed our waits were getting seriously long. All the big dogs - Toro, Ka, Zumanjaro, Nitro all had 1 hour+ waits for us (on a gold pass!). But Sky Screamer, which I have had yet to ride, was only about 20 minutes so we headed that way. Sis was scared to death - afraid of heights - but we went for it. Funny moment here as I was recognized by the Flash Pass attendent from my avatar on this board, which was a first for me ("Hey buddy, how are you? Do you post on TPR?" "Ummmm... yeah?") Too funny. As we were the next to board, it broke down with riders stuck about 20 feet in the air. We waited for a bit, maybe 10 minutes, until FP dude told us it would probably be a while so we then reserved Ka (an hour for us) and went out to the lot for our Wawa hoagiefest lunchtime ritual.

We took our time eating and hanging out, then slowly wandered back in and over to KK. This was a first time ride for sis, so she had no idea what she was in for. The only other launch coasters she has done were Chiller @ GA, and Back Lot Stunt Coaster @ Kings Island. We sat close to the front (4th row?) and my ride was more enjoyable that the last time I did it in July and sat in the last row. She couldn't say whether or not she liked it, but that it was quite the experience.

All day she had been saying she didn't know about doing Zumanjaro but after getting past the KK attendant I reserved it without saying anything to her. We still had time to kill before we could ride so we wandered around and got a beer and sat for a bit. In the meantime we got a notification it was closed so we killed more time, then we got buzzed again saying it was open and we could ride. Once we got back there the regular line had 200+ people, the FP line was at least 50 people. Seriously? It was completely disorganized, they were letting tons of regular line riders on while the 50 of us FPers had to wait. And the thing broke down *twice* as we were waiting. We waited an additional 45 minutes and after we were past the attendant, now waiting to board next, it broke down AGAIN. THEN, the op running our car tried to tell us that he had Platinum passers that were going to ride before us and we got a little loud with him about that fact that we have a gold pass and had to wait one hour originally only to get back there and wait almost another hour. Irritated to say the least. After we bitched he let us on next and I can honestly say it was much more enjoyable to me this time around. The drop felt reeeaaalllly long. What a rush. This was the only major hiccup for us all day as far as frustrating operations that directly affected us. Annoying, but it is what it is.

We had managed to reserve Superman without a super long wait after we got into Zum so after we got off we headed that way and got on pretty quickly. Fun as always, love that pretzel loop! Our next reservation was a 2nd attempt at Sky Screamer once again and this time we actually got on and it didn't break down! Yay! This was my first StarFlyer and it's actually terrifying up there in such minimal restraints/such open seats, and I didn't expect it to go so fast. However, I'd probably do it again. I don't usually do spinning things but I liked it.

From here we headed back over to the west side of the park for a short wait for the Mine Train - always fun, I love the two airtime pops before and over the lake. We reserved Bizarro while on Mine Train and that had a half hour wait for us so a few beers at Best Of The West with some people watching to kill time. It was later and the sun was setting so a kind-of-darker ride on Bizarro is always great. We wanted a night ride on Nitro but our wait was still an hour around 8pm at night.

So we decided the best way to end the day was one more ride on Toro, which was an hour wait for us. We reserved it and realized we were hungry so we did the Garden State restaurant and just got some fries/nuggets and another beer. We wandered around and drug our feet until our time was ready for Toro. It had *just* gotten completely dark by the time we boarded so it was a true night ride - my first on Toro. Magic seat again, great as always, it hauls so much ass later in the day. We bought the on-ride photo, because I didn't realize my sister could open her mouth so wide LMAO.

By 9pm we were on our way out. Too tired, very long day and didn't feel like waiting a long time for anything else. It was most definitely a mandatory FP day, I don't think we would have gotten much of anything at all without it. So many things were popping up on our FP as "closed" or with "???" for the time. We attempted Lantern at one point and were turned away at the front as it was completely down - though I was secretly happy about that as it sucks lol. Didn't take a ton of pics here are a few. My coastermania weekend continued in Wildwood on Saturday and Sunday and you can read about that here. Good ride count for GA, I like to think we went for quality over quantity and had more of a laid back day compared to usual with the long waits... The weather was BEAUTIFUL and any day at SFGAdv is a good time any way you cut it!

El Toro x2

Bizarro x2

Superman x1

Batman x1

Nitro x1

Runaway Mine Train x1

Skull Mountain x1

Zumanjaro x1

Kingda Ka x1

Sky Screamer x1

DSC02456.JPG.f4540b9276240053ba200c977642a128.JPG

Quintessential shot from the lot.

DSC02457.JPG.7c091d5b7389b44cfe9bc5cf2ffd243f.JPG

We're in!

DSC02458.JPG.2f8ca5147ab3a22b5bf78ea696513aab.JPG

Main street. (waits for Coasterbill to comment on the lack of SkyRide cars lol)

DSC02461.JPG.99a5190a611ae2bc3c7efddd34129ac2.JPG

Skyride shot that everyone on earth has taken.

DSC02462.JPG.d545407a2a2e950a94947c24ede59da4.JPG

Sawmill log flume. We never got on.

DSC02465.JPG.b9a77f0d618e53156641f22e5182ccb2.JPG

DSC02466.jpg.b12a485bd7fe5ed0caa48983ccfcaa2a.jpg

The skyride is a great short cut but kind of old and scary lol.

DSC02468.JPG.fe2b6779ead7047d4ea8c06d5ec0562f.JPG

Batman!

DSC02470.JPG.0980c9869d18b9d333e4903cb14a3a09.JPG

Nitro lift/ Batman loop-dee-loop

DSC02471.jpg.952478261f321f5aeb745b0d5d7f0928.jpg

Finally.

DSC02472.JPG.7afb237e8886f4d7221fcfaa74f11874.JPG

Only saw one walk of shame out of our two rides today.

DSC02473.JPG.303f0c3c5d2905f4300bd0d959620723.JPG

DSC02474.JPG.58e1d9b2f089d397dbf52cd1306ece1c.JPG

Waiting for the magic seat.

DSC02479.JPG.9a1ebb28b301a806347228daa60e370b.JPG

DSC02480.thumb.jpg.48d95437baca3e981582de942108742e.jpg

I really love the view from back here. It looks insanely tall.

DSC02481.JPG.291d5ab507c255708c67ab13f812597e.JPG

Also love these views of Toro from over here.

DSC02482.JPG.04ba5c03f952a45f9e66b4faa4233871.JPG

DSC02483.JPG.cc1e7aebb7b91f595adf4785e7deaf3c.JPG

DSC02484.JPG.7e1b39e6a13642116df2b76c074af653.JPG

Some Bizarro action shots.

DSC02488.JPG.0eecaff5392ba3256db59499690da996.JPG

DSC02489.JPG.82088e5738d4c5d5772f462845c8ee39.JPG

DSC02490.JPG.b1368cb54db3878af636a241731aafaf.JPG

The wait is terrible mostly but I am an Ultimate Flight fanatic.

DSC02467.JPG.f0d1fb3411823ae3044749811b43c5d9.JPG

Nitro lift/shed.

DSC02486.JPG.8ab473554ee4b95cef8e90d319e3b7fc.JPG

DSC02491.JPG.abd3488ad4d408c35ff9d6722d6096ad.JPG

DSC02492.jpg.754edeeeadae44178b342ebedafa6f01.jpg

Last ride of the night. I didn't know my sister could open her mouth that wide lmao.

Edited by boldikus

^My only concern with the Intamin winged seats would be clearance issues during the twists up and dow the tower, the train already gets pretty close to some of those supports.

Where did this ridiculous idea come from? Isn't Furious Baco known for being rough? Why would anyone want to take trains that are already rough and put them on a much faster coaster? I know increased speed doesn't equal increased roughness but I would imagine this would create an awful experience.

Also, the ride already has lines spilling out of the queue all the time (thanks to Zumanjaro but even before that the line was usually around 60 minutes)... just because a few enthusiasts are whining about the ride being rough doesn't mean they should change the ride when nobody else cares (especially when the front seat is butter smooth and that's the seat you should be riding in anyway).

Also... it's an unreliable piece of crap that they finally got running a little more reliably after almost a decade. If it's finally running properly, why do something like add new trains which would require you to totally re-profile the station due to their width and probably change around some blocks / sensors since you'll be reconfiguring the track. The train weight will also change so the technology that launches the trains based on the previous launches will probably need to be changed too as well as the actual launch mechanism... If it FINALLY aint broke then don't fix it.

^^That El Toro onride pic is PRICELESS!! Love it!

To whoever mentioned restraints like Skyrush on Kingda Ka: quit trolling Although I have absolutely no issues with SkyRush restraints - those words seem to just pi$$ off enthusiasts

The first 2-3 trips I had early in the spring (April & May), including opening day, they were running both sides. I've only seen them running one side since my trip in mid-May. Most times the line is insane, and I'll only ride it if its like 10 people or less, usually only in the morning for a shortcut.

If something is allegedly happening to Kingda Ka during the off season, my guess would be the possibility of finally installing that final row of seats to the back car for increased capacity?

They did it to TTD when the pseudo drag racing tires were removed from the back car. KK already had a diminished capacity because it stopped running both sides of the station which only allows for 2, maybe 3 trains to be running at once. Now with Zumanjaro lowering capacity even more, adding those last 2 seats to each train could provide at least some sort of improvement to ride throughput.

That addition is the only thing I could actually see them doing to KK. I know we all dream about the idea of a 300ft loop or something, but I just don't see it happening as an addition, rather a new ride somewhere else...

Small additions we need is what needs to happen next year. Super sized flat ride or two, add the addition row to KK, fix Nitro C train and add some more landscaping and paint!

^Is the skyway only running one side now? I haven't seen it running two sides all season, even 8/10 when the line was out of the entrance on both sides of the park.

In april and may, on all my visits to the park when it was empty, they were running both sides on the skyway. I haven't seen both sides going since then.

New clue!

Clone of Superman: Ultimate Flight at SFDK themed to dragons with a splashdown

I wouldn't want to see that because those things have bad capacity and that's the last thing SFGADV needs. That's why those things stay at smaller parks like DK

I know right? Unless there's a dual loading station lie the one going to Mexico