TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

What's the deal with the park hotel? After Kingda Ka opened, a proposal was announced to build the hotel on the property next to the record breaking coaster. It seemed the project was shelved due to financial troubles, but I heard a report via the discussion posts recently the Jackson Township Planning Board are reopening their discussion with Six Flags Great Adventure about the hotel idea. Has anyone heard an update from the discussion boards or directly from park/township officials? The property has the space for multiple hotels and a campground on site.

Yesterday I had my nephews first birthday party at my sisters house in Levittown, just a 20 minute drive from the park. It was rainy and overcast and I kept mentioning to the missus "It's a shame because I'm sure its a perfect day for GA!" Then I got home and saw via FB and Twitter that TPR had what seemed like quite a great adventure of their own. Weird as I hadn't known this ahead of time and for whatever random reason the park was on my mind all day. Great pics and posts, proud to call SFGAdv my home park and stoked to get back up next week! Can't say I'm not jealous of your nighttime Toro ERT!

What's the deal with the park hotel? After Kingda Ka opened, a proposal was announced to build the hotel on the property next to the record breaking coaster. It seemed the project was shelved due to financial troubles, but I heard a report via the discussion posts recently the Jackson Township Planning Board are reopening their discussion with Six Flags Great Adventure about the hotel idea. Has anyone heard an update from the discussion boards or directly from park/township officials? The property has the space for multiple hotels and a campground on site.

I could be wrong but that;s around the same time The great escape lodge was in planning/building. Maybe There was suppose to be a hotel and SFI decided to send it to TGE or maybe they just scratched the great adventure one to focus more money and time on TGE's

Im sure this info is laying around somewhere but I'm sure someone here will know: How late in the season does the safari run til? Will it be open in September? When I was there last year in mid-Sept the log flume and rapids were shut down but I didnt notice the Safari open or not. Planning a trip with someone who specifically wants to do the safari and it will be in likely a trip in Sept. Anyone know the deets?

The Safari runs all season (and last year actually one week after the rest of the park closed for the season) the Rapids usually close around Labor Day weekend and the Log Flume also closes right around Labor Day b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶S̶i̶x̶ ̶F̶l̶a̶g̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶a̶p̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ um... sorry I mean to prepare for the haunt maze under it even though I don't see what they have to prepare since they leave it up all year anyway because they're lazy.

LOL thank you CB, that's good to know. I don't care so much about the water rides, just mentioned it as I absolutely recall those being closed around the same time last year that we're gonna go this year and was wondering what else they'll close at end of summer/before the official end of the season. Was hoping that the safari would stay open as the person who is going with specifically asked to do that so my plan is to do that first and then get some coasters in.

I hope everyone enjoyed the park yesterday. I would have loved to work El Toro for you guys during your ERT but I'm currently not working at the park.

Regarding a hotel being built at the park, here's some more recent concept art of something that was in the works last year between Six Flags and Jackson Township. https://www.behance.net/gallery/Six-Flags-Destination-New-Jersey/7825971

There's a discussion thread about it from greatadventurehistory.com here. http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=3761&hl=hotel

SFGadv has talked about building hotels since they opened back in 1974. I dont think it will ever happen. It seems to always pop up in discussion every so many years.

honestly If any six flags park gets a hotel it should be GAdv. finding a hotel in Jackson is so hard that I had to stay at a hotel like 20 min away from the park! Maybe its just cuz jackson isn't really a 'destination' with the exception of Six Flags, so it makes sense for the park to get one. Would six flags put in a hotel? I'd be surprised if they ever did put one in.

Has Six Flags opened a hotel before? The only thing I can find if the Great Escape Lodge up near Lake George, is that even truly run by Six Flags, or is it run by another company for Six Flags?

When it first open- I figured the same (licensed the name/run by another company).....and nope, it is a Six Flags property. I was there once (about a year after it opened, maybe 5-6 years ago? I can't recall) with my kids....had low expectations, and the property exceeded them. Looking back, it was great for my kids at the time (both under 10 years old); I'd classify the water park as "medium-sized", compared to a Great Wolf Lodge (which I consider "large-sized). Lastly- I'd like the idea of the lodge being right across the street from the amusement park.

Not sure if SF has been able to maintain the property......

When TGE lodge opened SFI didn't own all of it. Other companies owned part of it but recently SFI bought up the remaining shares so they are now the sole owner of the hotel. And yes The lodge is nothing like what you would expect from six flags. Whoever they have at the helm actually knows how to run a hotel. That and SFI invests the required money to keep it up and looking good.

It's much like the entire great escape park. Yeah It is owned by six flags but it's nothing like the other parks.

Cool, than I wonder if that location was a cooperate testing site to see if the idea of hotels would be a good one... Maybe this is something we could see at the large six flags parks, GAdv, GAm, MM, OT... If they did it right, it could work very well in their favor!

Not holding my breath though...

This is the last thing I'm gonna say about it because it's off topic but, I don't think it was just a test location. The first reason is because TGE is in a very touristy location and the Adirondacks and lake George are popular all year round. The lodge wasn't really built to benefit the park it was to tap into the year round tourism to the area. The second is TGE has the shortest operating season in the whole chain so maybe SFI added it so The property could make money all year round regardless of weather.

Did Nitro run today? Will it run in 6 days (when I get there)? I need this credit, and I love B&M hypers to boot... fingers crossed so hard. I'd hate for it to be down on my first visit to SFGAdv, I had the Intimidator carpet yanked from under me at KD last year