TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

So I went to the park last Friday and am now just getting around to writing a report.

So there you have it! Let me know what you think of what I think. I'm sure I'm forgetting details and thoughts I wanted to say, so ask away.

The "ehhhhh" rides would be a notch better, if theming, landscaping, etc.....were maintained (like a Busch Gardens let's say).

I don't think locals want to pay prices comparable to Busch admission prices that allow for such theming and upkeep.

Bizzaro: Actually enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Sure, it's layout is similar to Kumba but hey, this is the original floorless and it's aged pretty well, retheming aside. Fire effects were fun too, despite the gimmick. 6/10

I get the impression I'm one of the few people who really enjoys the ride. Sure, it's not super forceful but it does have some forces and feels like a very solid complete experience with a nice number of inversions and decent length.

So I went to the park last Friday and am now just getting around to writing a report.

So there you have it! Let me know what you think of what I think. I'm sure I'm forgetting details and thoughts I wanted to say, so ask away.

The "ehhhhh" rides would be a notch better, if theming, landscaping, etc.....were maintained (like a Busch Gardens let's say).

I don't think locals want to pay prices comparable to Busch admission prices that allow for such theming and upkeep.

Is it that locals won't pay the prices or that they've been conditioned not to over the years?

Batman:the Ride: Again, another clone. Theming was sub-par compared to SFGA's, but this one hauled major a**. Rode in the front row and essentially spent the entire ride in a constant grey-out, which surprised me despite having ridden many a copy before. +1 for intensity over the others for sure. 7/10

YUP. Batman is unbelievable this year, front row especially at night is a real treat.

Last time we rode it we both agreed that it was time to admit that it's the second best coaster in the park after El Toro. We love Nitro and Kingda Ka but this ride is running insane this year. We always ride in the front and at night when it really warms up it's completely insane.

It was running so fast on our most recent ride that I was sure I'd finally get some of the headbanging people complain about just because of it's speed. As usual though it was smooth as glass. I know I say this a lot but the ride is amazing. I feel like it gets better every time we ride it.

Is it that locals won't pay the prices or that they've been conditioned not to over the years?

Not that I have a money tree in my backyard, however- cost isn't a concern of mine relative to my going/not going to SFGA (I love parks, and have two kids who enjoy going)....that said, I hear ya! For the park to charge more, have no "new rides" to show for it/advertise...."just" to clean up the joint- it is why the condition of the park is as it is.....I've made a career in retail, so understand what the management team faces.....it is not an issue of me seeing it/they don't- it comes down to budget/managing their expense plan. That aside- as it relates to Busch Gardens, etc....different business model- part of the attraction to the park is the cleanliness, perceived higher quality food than most local parks, etc.....I know, b/c we make the trip down there every so often from NJ (as many do in this part of the country)

Did they do any maitenance on B:TR this year? Because it looks the same as last year, but is running so smooth for 21 year old coaster. Running a hell of a lot better than it's neighbor, the younger B&M

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Six-Flags-Great-Adventure-Roller-Coaster-Stuck-Nitro-Passengers-Walk-Down-269630411.html

A roller coaster billed as a "maximum thrill-level," "gut-munching" ride at a Six Flags amusement park in New Jersey got stuck on its way up to the 230-feet-high peak, forcing passengers to exit the ride and walk down alongside the tracks.

Officials at the Great Adventure park in Jackson said the Nitro roller coaster experienced a power failure as it was approaching the incline Friday afternoon.

Park personnel climbed the access stairs to remove the passengers on the stuck coaster and walked them safely down to ground level, officials said.

No one was hurt.

The ride was shut down for the remainder of Friday night. It's not clear when it will reopen.

According to the amusement park's website, the first hill on the Nitro is 233 feet high. The coaster reaches 80 miles per hour as it zooms into the second hill, about 180 feet high.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Six-Flags-Great-Adventure-Roller-Coaster-Stuck-Nitro-Passengers-Walk-Down-269630411.html

A roller coaster billed as a "maximum thrill-level," "gut-munching" ride at a Six Flags amusement park in New Jersey got stuck on its way up to the 230-feet-high peak, forcing passengers to exit the ride and walk down alongside the tracks.

Officials at the Great Adventure park in Jackson said the Nitro roller coaster experienced a power failure as it was approaching the incline Friday afternoon.

Park personnel climbed the access stairs to remove the passengers on the stuck coaster and walked them safely down to ground level, officials said.

No one was hurt.

The ride was shut down for the remainder of Friday night. It's not clear when it will reopen.

According to the amusement park's website, the first hill on the Nitro is 233 feet high. The coaster reaches 80 miles per hour as it zooms into the second hill, about 180 feet high.

Hmm... Does the ride really need to be closed for the rest of the day? Must have been a serious issue.

Thanks everyone for your feedback re: KK launch. It still looks and sounds like it'll give me a heart attack, but I'm gonna try not to overthink it. I've yet to chicken out on a roller coaster, so I hope to keep the streak alive.

Happy to read the Batman: the Ride comments here. I frequently visit SFMM and I never miss a front-row ride whenever there (unless it's going backward, barf) — though I wondered if I'd even bother with the SFGA version seeing how we only have one day there, and that the two other versions I've been on didn't feel as forceful as the one at SFMM. But I'll have to cram the other stuff in earlier in the day so I can ride it in the evening. B:TR is no Montu, but I think it's underrated.

^ I'll be honest and say I don't want to hunt through your other posts, but have you ridden Xcelerator? It's a better launch, IMO. The acceleration is quicker and starts inside the station.

Ka still have a funky launch, but after the initial pull you can tell it's taking its time to get to 128mph.

Funny you should ask. (And pardon the quick digression from SFGA-related stuff, everyone.) I was once in line for Xcelerator and boarded. As I was locking the seat belt, the kid that had just vacated my seat was still on the platform for some reason, and when I looked over to see why he was still to my left, he unloaded one of the biggest and gnarliest vomit loads I'd ever seen. Now feeling too nauseated to deal with what already looked like a gutbomb of a launch, I took off the seat belt and de-boarded, figuring I'd maybe try again later. (The park employees ended up emptying the train for clean-up anyway.) An hour later, when I passed the now-reopened ride, I was still feeling queasy — I'm a total vomit-phobe — and decided to try again another day. In fact, I left altogether, not wanting to ride anything after that point. That was last year, and I haven't been able to make it back to KBF yet.

But yeah, to your point, I have noticed that Xcelerator's launch actually looks more forceful in its first second or two than KK. It's just that KK's launch takes longer and it's not obvious to me that the chest-bursting feeling I get from the very beginning of a launch won't subside or let up before the pull up into the vertical hill. Ha, I sound such like a wuss.

^ That's a shame, man. It's a fantastic ride! Last time I was at Knott's (last September) the place was empty and the girlfriend and I rode 5 times in a row, in the front, without getting out of our seat. That was at about 10:30am and we hadn't had any coffee yet, and after that we certainly didn't need any, haha.

Funny you should ask. (And pardon the quick digression from SFGA-related stuff, everyone.) I was once in line for Xcelerator and boarded. As I was locking the seat belt, the kid that had just vacated my seat was still on the platform for some reason, and when I looked over to see why he was still to my left, he unloaded one of the biggest and gnarliest vomit loads I'd ever seen. Now feeling too nauseated to deal with what already looked like a gutbomb of a launch, I took off the seat belt and de-boarded, figuring I'd maybe try again later. (The park employees ended up emptying the train for clean-up anyway.) An hour later, when I passed the now-reopened ride, I was still feeling queasy — I'm a total vomit-phobe — and decided to try again another day. In fact, I left altogether, not wanting to ride anything after that point. That was last year, and I haven't been able to make it back to KBF yet.

But yeah, to your point, I have noticed that Xcelerator's launch actually looks more forceful in its first second or two than KK. It's just that KK's launch takes longer and it's not obvious to me that the chest-bursting feeling I get from the very beginning of a launch won't subside or let up before the pull up into the vertical hill. Ha, I sound such like a wuss.

Trust me, you'll be able to handle Ka's launch. Ka might give you that chest-bursting feeling for the first second or two but after that, the acceleration lessons up a bit. Plus, the launch only lasts about two thirds down the launch track and then the last third is just coasting at top speed. It's not as bad as it looks though but it's really fun. Ride towards the front for a smoother ride.

^I'd say he should definitely ride the very front. I think it's totally worth the extra wait and for me it's almost as if it was a different ride when taken in another seat. In fact, if I hadn't ridden the front I would be ranking it lower now.

Refresh my memory, are there bins to put bags and stuff into on the ride platforms at this park? I was at the park last year and I remember many rides like Ka and Superman didn't have station bins but what about any other rides? Or do you have to put everything into a locker before you get in line?

Refresh my memory, are there bins to put bags and stuff into on the ride platforms at this park? I was at the park last year and I remember many rides like Ka and Superman didn't have station bins but what about any other rides? Or do you have to put everything into a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo before you get in line?

I believe the only coaster at SFGadv that has a bin on the exit platform is Runaway Mine Train. On all the other coasters, bags and items need to be put in a locker. They do have the drink cup holders on all the coasters platforms, too. Hope this helps.

Maybe they can get RMC to make a dueling coaster to replace Rolling Thunder. One side can be intense and the other mild. That way everybody's happy.

Seeing as they already have El Toro, I doubt that the management nor the general public want another wooden coaster. El Toro already took up a good chunk of space of what was former Frontier Adventures land, but with the removal of Rolling Thunder, I can see the possibilities of more flat rides taking up residence in Plaza del Carnaval or the Golden Kingdom.

Here's quick overlay of how they could possibly use the land that I sort of made. If they decided to use the land for a purpose other than a single new roller coaster, I can see them doubling the size of Plaza del Carnaval and almost tripling the size of the Golden Kingdom in the future. I decided to keep some of the former Wild Safari land and Rolling Thunder not in the expansion, as I don't think the Golden Kingdom needs to grow THAT much.

984880780_gadvexpansion.jpg.9632c4f0b64a1d0bfdd55255a224771c.jpg

Edited by dchang11