TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Earlier in the season rumors emerged of a new coaster out over the lake, possibly a RMC with an underwater tunnel and it got shot down by the state. So i'm guessing no new coaster? There has literally been no buzz since. I know the park has huge gaps to fill with flat rides, but I think it is almost time for a new coaster seeing the park's last original installation was Dark Knight.

Agreed. I'd like to see them put a new coaster over in Movie Town. There is a nice chunk of space between the former Chiller spot and the abandoned Old Country section. I can see them adding a new coaster there in order to revitalize Movie Town, seeing as it is almost abandoned and quite creepy at night.

I've been thinking about this all night, so I figured I'd make a post to get 'em out here.

I really feel GADV is about 5 years of additions to become the chain's first CP-style resort. Here are a quick rundown of why this is sensible...

-Location. It is THE park in the NYC/Philly/NJ area, which is one of the most densely populated, wealthy and tourist raided (NYC, Jersey shore, AC, etc) areas in the entire country.

-Space. It is the world's largest amusement park in the world in terms of physical size. It's plot of land is enormous, with an already big dry park with a huge chunk of undeveloped land.

-Variety. It already has one of the best coaster collections in the world, just added some major flats in Skyscreamer and Zumanjaro, a nice sized waterpark, and most importantly a completely unique safari attraction.

-They have the world's tallest coaster, world's tallest drop ride, and the #1 coaster in the world that's acknowledged as such by the biggest polls. In other words, they have, like CP, rides that even the GP will travel quite far for and stay at multiple days.

To me, it's a park they will see massive returns on if they invest the necessary cash into it. SFMM has been the park the company has put those kinds of investments into, but competing with Disney and Universal makes a resort experience quite a bit more difficult. So, thinking about it, here's the best plan I came up with to get the park to that proper level.

2015- Refurbrish main street, add 1-2 family flats on the Ka/Toro side of the park, and detail throughout the park (some paint here, landscaping there, etc). The key to me is transforming from the entrance to tge boardwalk. I am talking new concrete paths, getting rid of those nasty ice cream-style buildings near Houdini and replacing them with more charming exteriors like those at SFNE, lanscaping, etc.. To me, main street is very important as it can create an immersive and quality first impression, and right now it looks dated and forgettable. Besides that, the park is imbalnlanced flat-wise, and a simple flat or two on the west side would help that. I'd expect all this to push $8-10M.

2016- A new coaster to replace Chiller. I feel a multi-launch LSM coaster that stretches to the front entrance (partly because of my previously stated importance of 1st impressions) would be perfect. In terms of manufacturer, it'd be Intamin or Mack, with the ride experience being between Cheetah Hunt and Helix (I feel it should be somewhat geared to riders not looking for Maverick intensity).. However, these types of coasters push $18-25M, so keeping SF's insistence on cheaper capital investments in mind, that might be pushing it. Two other alternatives with one being a shorter, but well-themed coaster with pre-ride section like Superman Escape (around $15M US I believe). And the other being either a family wooden by GCI, or a medium-sized, ground-hugging, fast-paced RMC creation ($12M or less). Also, open back up the Movietown loop.

2017- Total Movietown overhaul. First order of business is retheming it to Gotham City (DC doesn't make sense due to S:UF, GL and Bizarro scattered elsewhere.). This would include new shops, theming, walkways, refurbishing and reopening the Batman arena, repaint Nitro, and add a few flat or two. I'd suspect a cost of $10M or so.

2018- Begin groundwork on an on-site hotel a little past the old Safari entrance. I feel this would be great location as its isolated from the park while still being close tram to the entrance, and it could overlook the safari which would be stellar. I'd include a jungle theme with an on-site Rainforest Cafe, hige children's play area, tiki bar outside at the pool area. I'd stretch the process over 2-3 years as the cost will be very high ( $20-35M I'd presume). Assuming they could break up the payment to allow some cash for park improvements, I'd add a slife at HH, and putting some work to give the waterpark some more character.

2019- Updating FA with some new shops and maybe an interactive dark ride themed to a Western shootout.

2020- Open hotel!

While these plans may need to be stretched an extra year or 2 due to cost (although I feel this isn't totally impossible), that is only 6-8 years of development to make GADV a quality resort destination. The park has so many things already going for it and could be the chain's centerpiece, it just needs a few flats, a coaster and touching up what's already there.

Sorry, needed to get these ideas out !

Edited by Nitro1118

Earlier in the season rumors emerged of a new coaster out over the lake, possibly a RMC with an underwater tunnel and it got shot down by the state. So i'm guessing no new coaster? There has literally been no buzz since. I know the park has huge gaps to fill with flat rides, but I think it is almost time for a new coaster seeing the park's last original installation was Dark Knight.

If that's true... I don't know what would make me angrier at New Jersey's government. I honestly hope this isn't true. Where did the underwater tunnel rumor come from, anyways?

what do you expect from one of the most regulated states in the country. just look how they screwed up Ka's capacity by not allowing it and zumanjaro to run simultaneously.

they have been talking about a hotel at SFGadv since the day it was built 40yrs. If it hasn't happened yet, dont plan on it ever happening.

I've been thinking about this all night, so I figured I'd make a post to get 'em out here.

I really feel GADV is about 5 years of additions to become the chain's first CP-style resort. Here are a quick rundown of why this is sensible...

-Location. It is THE park in the NYC/Philly/NJ area, which is one of the most densely populated, wealthy and tourist raided (NYC, Jersey shore, AC, etc) areas in the entire country.

-Space. It is the world's largest amusement park in the world in terms of physical size. It's plot of land is enormous, with an already big dry park with a huge chunk of undeveloped land.

-Variety. It already has one of the best coaster collections in the world, just added some major flats in Skyscreamer and Zumanjaro, a nice sized waterpark, and most importantly a completely unique safari attraction.

-They have the world's tallest coaster, world's tallest drop ride, and the #1 coaster in the world that's acknowledged as such by the biggest polls. In other words, they have, like CP, rides that even the GP will travel quite far for and stay at multiple days.

To me, it's a park they will see massive returns on if they invest the necessary cash into it. SFMM has been the park the company has put those kinds of investments into, but competing with Disney and Universal makes a resort experience quite a bit more difficult. So, thinking about it, here's the best plan I came up with to get the park to that proper level.

2015- Refurbrish main street, add 1-2 family flats on the Ka/Toro side of the park, and detail throughout the park (some paint here, landscaping there, etc). The key to me is transforming from the entrance to tge boardwalk. I am talking new concrete paths, getting rid of those nasty ice cream-style buildings near Houdini and replacing them with more charming exteriors like those at SFNE, lanscaping, etc.. To me, main street is very important as it can create an immersive and quality first impression, and right now it looks dated and forgettable. Besides that, the park is imbalnlanced flat-wise, and a simple flat or two on the west side would help that. I'd expect all this to push $8-10M.

2016- A new coaster to replace Chiller. I feel a multi-launch LSM coaster that stretches to the front entrance (partly because of my previously stated importance of 1st impressions) would be perfect. In terms of manufacturer, it'd be Intamin or Mack, with the ride experience being between Cheetah Hunt and Helix (I feel it should be somewhat geared to riders not looking for Maverick intensity).. However, these types of coasters push $18-25M, so keeping SF's insistence on cheaper capital investments in mind, that might be pushing it. Two other alternatives with one being a shorter, but well-themed coaster with pre-ride section like Superman Escape (around $15M US I believe). And the other being either a family wooden by GCI, or a medium-sized, ground-hugging, fast-paced RMC creation ($12M or less). Also, open back up the Movietown loop.

2017- Total Movietown overhaul. First order of business is retheming it to Gotham City (DC doesn't make sense due to S:UF, GL and Bizarro scattered elsewhere.). This would include new shops, theming, walkways, refurbishing and reopening the Batman arena, repaint Nitro, and add a few flat or two. I'd suspect a cost of $10M or so.

2018- Begin groundwork on an on-site hotel a little past the old Safari entrance. I feel this would be great location as its isolated from the park while still being close tram to the entrance, and it could overlook the safari which would be stellar. I'd include a jungle theme with an on-site Rainforest Cafe, hige children's play area, tiki bar outside at the pool area. I'd stretch the process over 2-3 years as the cost will be very high ( $20-35M I'd presume). Assuming they could break up the payment to allow some cash for park improvements, I'd add a slife at HH, and putting some work to give the waterpark some more character.

2019- Updating FA with some new shops and maybe an interactive dark ride themed to a Western shootout.

2020- Open hotel!

While these plans may need to be stretched an extra year or 2 due to cost (although I feel this isn't totally impossible), that is only 6-8 years of development to make GADV a quality resort destination. The park has so many things already going for it and could be the chain's centerpiece, it just needs a few flats, a coaster and touching up what's already there.

Sorry, needed to get these ideas out !

they have been talking about a hotel at SFGadv since the day it was built 40yrs.[\quote]

I know, and it would have happened circa 2007 if the company didn't change hands. That is why we got Ka and Toro in back to back years. I don't plan on it happening, either, it was just an idea based on why I think it'd make sense and a short, multi-year plan for the park to reach thst potential.

It's a pain to get a hotel in that area. There's very few hotels around and so booking one is not only hard, but it'll end up being like a good 15-30 minute drive away from the park. A hotel right next to the park would be beneficial to the area.

I hope they don't get a hotel. It will just make the park more crowded and longer lines.

How would this make a park more crowded? It would just boost profit and guest happiness. If I'm an owner of a theme park, I can't bring in more people by saying that I built a hotel. But, for tourists who have to travel to come to my park, they will be happy because they can stay longer.

So it's not gonna bring more people in, but it will help them be able to come maybe more often land stay longer. With all the extra profit, the park will be able to do major overhauls to the areas that need work.

Besides Six Flags has done hotels before at Great Escape and Darien Lake (while it was still owned by 6f).

I hope they don't get a hotel. It will just make the park more crowded and longer lines.

How would this make a park more crowded? It would just boost profit and guest happiness. If I'm an owner of a theme park, I can't bring in more people by saying that I built a hotel. But, for tourists who have to travel to come to my park, they will be happy because they can stay longer.

So it's not gonna bring more people in, but it will help them be able to come maybe more often land stay longer. With all the extra profit, the park will be able to do major overhauls to the areas that need work.

Besides Six Flags has done hotels before at Great Escape and Darien Lake (while it was still owned by 6f).

If they stay longer and come more often, wouldn't that result in the park being busier? I'm not saying the hotel would be bad, but it would sure bring more people in wit that logic.

If they stay longer and come more often, wouldn't that result in the park being busier? I'm not saying the hotel would be bad, but it would sure bring more people in wit that logic.

Not exactly, but I can see what you're getting at. I'm just saying if you have a family that stays for two days at the park, the attendance would be the same, there wouldn't be an increase. Maybe it would boost attendance a lot, I could be wrong but building a hotel won't bring in more people than a new coaster or area.

To whoever said GAdv's safari was "totally unique", Kilamanjaro Safari would like a word.

As for a hotel, I wouldn't stay there, but if it increased revenue and led to park expansion I'm all for it.

Out of curiosity, are El Toro's restraints more or less restrictive than a Gerstlauer RMC train a la NTAG? I can be jammed into El Toro (about 50/50 chance I need to be stapled.) Would I fit on NTAG? And what about RMC woodies? (Just putting this here because I'm comparing to Toro.)

To whoever said GAdv's safari was "totally unique", Kilamanjaro Safari would like a word.

As for a hotel, I wouldn't stay there, but if it increased revenue and led to park expansion I'm all for it.

I meant unique to the area, but it is larger than the Kilamanjaro safari, and I am not sure if the Kilamanjaro one has the rest stop where you can get out and feed the animals, enter an exhibit and the other little things it has.

I meant unique to the area, but it is larger than the Kilamanjaro safari, and I am not sure if the Kilamanjaro one has the rest stop where you can get out and feed the animals, enter an exhibit and the other little things it has.

It does not, but if it did you wouldn't have to pay for the activities.

It does not, but if it did you wouldn't have to pay for the activities.

Yeah, because the park that charges nearly $100 for one day admission would never, ever price gouge like GADV does...right.

Quick question: how do you think crowds and wait times will be on Saturday, July 26th? I've only been to the park on not-so-crowded weekdays so I'm wondering how enjoyable a weekend visit would be. Thanks in advanced.

Saturday is usually the busiest day of the week. Wait times are usually 1 hr+ on most of the coasters.

How are the crowds usually on a thursday night during the summer? I want to use the bring a friend for free pass but I wouldn't be able to get down there until 6 pm due to my friend's work.

Crowds on weekdays after 5 are usually light. By that time most of the camps and people who got there at opening are gone. Biggest waits would be at Ka/Zumanjaro, but thats due to the newness of Zum and the diminished capacity of Ka in the wake of Zum's opening.