TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I just got an email from the park about new attractions which included Fright Fest in July and a new Paint Ball experience. If they do either of these (especially the first one) I give up on this park... it seems like management is just clueless. They need to take care of what they already have not add more crap that's going to bring in trashy crowds.

I've seen things fall off Dragster many times but never once has it gone to the inside of the tower it will generally be hurled sideways away from the tower.

didn't one of the dragster themed tires fall off and that's why they took them off, along with the engine, and added a extra row of seats.

I just got an email from the park about new attractions which included Fright Fest in July and a new Paint Ball experience. If they do either of these (especially the first one) I give up on this park... it seems like management is just clueless. They need to take care of what they already have not add more crap that's going to bring in trashy crowds.

It's probably something like SFSTL has. The hayride was converted so you all sit facing the outside and shoot mounted paintball guns at targets and "zombies" who are just men in all black. They apparently had a hard time recruiting the live actors, because we only encountered 4 during our 15 minute long hayride. It was pretty lame, so I hope SFGAD doesn't get a similar attraction.

It's probably something like SFSTL has. The hayride was converted so you all sit facing the outside and shoot mounted paintball guns at targets and "zombies" who are just men in all black. They apparently had a hard time recruiting the live actors, because we only encountered 4 during our 15 minute long hayride. It was pretty lame, so I hope SFGAD doesn't get a similar attraction.

instead of recruiting actors, SFGadv can use line cutters, and the guests get to pelt them with the paintball guns. that would be fun.

Less than a week till I'm in Jackson, but we need a place to crash. Anyone know of any clean, reasonable places to stay in the general area?

Also I need a good attack plan for the park. First thought is to book it to the safari at rope drop then work my way to Toro/Ka to get those out of the way. Then Bizarro, Mine Train, Log Flume, Houdini, skyride across the park for Skull, Nitro, Rapids, Sky Screamer, Ferris Wheel, and Batman. It'll pretty much be straight rerides afterwards unless lines are too long.

Or skip the safari and head to Toro/Ka and work my way to the Nitro side from there.

Edited by netdvn

I've seen things fall off Dragster many times but never once has it gone to the inside of the tower it will generally be hurled sideways away from the tower.

didn't one of the dragster themed tires fall off and that's why they took them off, along with the engine, and added a extra row of seats.

Lolololol no, they took out the dragster wheels to add capacity

Lolololol no, they took out the dragster wheels to add capacity

'Good Year" tire falls from Top Thrill Dragster

http://coasterbuzz.com/Forums/Topic/good-year-tire-falls-from-top-thrill-dragster

http://pointbuzz.com/Forums/Thread/12069.aspx

Less than a week till I'm in Jackson, but we need a place to crash. Anyone know of any clean, reasonable places to stay in the general area?

Also I need a good attack plan for the park. First thought is to book it to the safari at rope drop then work my way to Toro/Ka to get those out of the way. Then Bizarro, Mine Train, Log Flume, Houdini, skyride across the park for Skull, Nitro, Rapids, Sky Screamer, Ferris Wheel, and Batman. It'll pretty much be straight rerides afterwards unless lines are too long.

Or skip the safari and head to Toro/Ka and work my way to the Nitro side from there.

Not sure what the rates look like, but my suggestion is to stay in East Windsor, NJ.....Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn (I believe one/both have some sort of "Special Rates" that include park tickets).....you are looking at a 20- 25 minute drive. If you want better quality hotels, then further west (along Route 1 in Princeton/West Windsor) are better places, however- you are looking at a 35- 40 minute drive to the park.

Safari? Personally- I wouldn't make that my first stop. Even if the crowds are "light," the majority of the crowd will be teenagers from local camps, thus expect all the major thrill rides to have lines. Here is what I would suggest:

1) Get to the park at 9:30am, so that should there be a backup at security, you will be good to go (they'll let guests into the park at 10am, however- rope up the front area until their 10:30am opening)

2) Head directly to Superman, then Green Lantern (I'm not a fan of either coaster, however- if you want to get on them....get on them immediately in the am, otherwise you are looking at a potential 1+ hour wait later in the day)

3) Next (if they are running first thing in the am), hit Kingda Ka, then single-rider lane on Zumajaro

4) Assuming all is going well- hit El Toro (you can probably get a couple rides in back to back)

5) Bizarro is a line eater, and there won't be many people on that side of the park in the am.....then the Mine Train

That should knock out half the major rides.....so next:

6) Skyride to the other side of the park

7) Skull Mountain (it is right at the exit of the sky ride, and shouldn't have much of a wait)

8) Batman and Nitro

From there (my opinion), whatever is left, is left- you hit the major rides.....go enjoy the rest of the park, food, games, etc. at whatever pace is best for you.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

An important thing to remember about the Safari (if you decide to ride it) is that the animals are much more active in the morning than they are in the afternoon so I actually think doing that first is a great idea as the experience will be much better.

... Paint Ball Experience....

A Paintball experience? Hmmm, sounds a lot like this:

R.I.P. Shoot the Freak, 2000 - 2010

What makes me mad is that riders probably have a higher chance of being hit by a loose article on the same train they're on than a rider on Zumanjaro getting hit by a loose article from Ka yet the state won't allow the two to run together.

True. I don't remember ever seeing anything flying off a train while not on the ride but I do remember getting hit by a coin (in the forehead) in Nitro's hill after the hammerhead turn. It wasn't really painful but that's because it wasn't going very fast and it was a small coin.

Can I just say I was riding apollos chariot at bgw this year and we were going down the second hill and at the top of the hill someone threw their water bottle up and caught it at the bottom-BARELY. he was up in one of the front rows and I was in the back and if he haven't caught that, that was a half full water bottle being flung at 70 mph right for my face!

^Yeah that's just a stupid thing to do. I assume the guy who lost the coin that hit me didn't do it on purpose. In fact the very previous ride had been on Superman where I also saw someone losing a bunch of them.

A Paintball experience? Hmmm, sounds a lot like this:

R.I.P. Shoot the Freak, 2000 - 2010

That's what I thought of too... klassy.

I really hope they scrap the paintball idea, it sounds poorly thought out, and with some of the clientele GAdv attracts, could end up being dangerous. They need to junk that eyesore of a paintball building and re-open Dream Street to its former glory.

The Safari always has a really long line and the ride itself is over an hour so honestly, it's not worth the ride unless you have two days at the park because it does kill a lot of time.

I really hope they scrap the paintball idea, it sounds poorly thought out, and with some of the clientele GAdv attracts, could end up being dangerous. They need to junk that eyesore of a paintball building and re-open Dream Street to its former glory.

Yeah, I've been using the arcade to cut through to el toro for years...

Yikes!! Guns of any kind shouldn't be anywhere near SFGADV or SFMM! Just a bad idea!

^^ Always, everytime. Pretty sure you were the one who told me about it, too.

Heading to the park now, hoping the early morning rain keeps the crowds light, I'll see about a ride on the infamous Train C and report back with if people are delusional or not lol. Granted, I don't think I've ridden it at all this year.

I rode towards the front (row 3 or 4) of train C the last weekend of June. I did notice the rattle everyone has talked about, but it certainly didn't ruin a great ride for me. Granted, I didn't ride in the back, but even with the rattle, Nitro is one of the best rides in the park, and probably still in the top 5 B&M hypers.

The wake up call was 4am on friday morning. @ScreamHD and my other friend headed for six flags great adventure.

We got there 40 minutes early and were the first people in the park. They allowed us to enter the rest of the park 10 minutes early, which was strange because I thought that only gold members could.

We ran right to flash pass and got the gold level. We then went right to Nitro where there, I hit my 49th coaster!

Crowds: Quiet-moderate. I couldn't believe how much more quiet it was than I was expecting. The only huge lines were Kingda Ka, Nitro, superman and green lantern. Everything else (including el toro was station waits...)

Ride Count:

Nitro: 3x

Batman: The ride: 3x

Skull Mountain: 5x

The Dark Knight Coaster: 2x

Sky Screamer: 1x

El Toro: 4x

Kingda Ka: 2x

Bizarro: 3x

Runnaway Mine Train: 1x

Superman: Ultimate Flight: 3x

Green Lantern: 1x

Parachute jump ride: 1x

Log Flume: 1x

Safari: 1x

Nitro:

What a wonderful ride! I couldn't believe how far the ride rips through the woods. Great airtime, very smooth and extremely comftorable. I loved the g force in the helix. The line turned out to be an hour long, making it one of the most popular rides at the park. The airtime was more floater than ejector but still amazing nonetheless. It could really use some paint though... 10/10

Batman: The ride:

Whoever says this ride is rough is a huge baby. Very smooth and easily the most forceful invert I have ridden. The ride packs a huge punch and was a phenomenal ride! I loved the theme too! Another out-shadowed ride at the park. 9/10

Kingda Ka:

Horray my 50th credit (finally)! Amazing ride, the launch is unreal, so fast and thrilling. The drop was cool too. No brake downs at all for the ride which seemed like a good sign. The setting it has by sending two trains out then dropping zumanjaro really had no effect on the line. It actually worked fine. 10/10

El Toro

Well obviously this was the best coaster of the trip. The night rides just iced the cake, it totally blows every other coaster I've ridden out of the water. Everything about it was amazing. We rode in the back all the times that we rode. The ride did go down twice during the day though. Sorry bizarro "You no number 1 now" 10/10

Runaway Mine Train:

This old school arrow had a cool layout with a surprise drop. I liked the look of the coaster but I found it to be somewhat bumpy. We sat in the back seat and found it enjoyable. One and done though.

7/10

Skull Mountain:

I loved this ride! Best theming that I've seen at a six flags park so far. The ride was a total shock, the drop blew us away and the whole ride was fast and fun. One of the biggest surprises of the trip. It's pitch black inside and hardcore heavy metal music blasts while you ride. We loved it!

10/10

Dark Knight Coaster:

What the hell people? Stop bagging on this ride, it was ten times better than a regular wild mouse. The turns didn't hurt, the theming was top notch and there was individual lap bars. We all really enjoyed the ride. 7/10

Superman:

Great ride. The pretzel loop was the best loop of the trip. I loved the feeling of flying on this ride, the line was crazy all day so we rode it later on. It actually was our last ride of the night. I really liked everything about this ride, I just wish it was longer. 8.5/10

Green Lantern:

Okay, I really didn't find this ride bad. Although the stand up thing was awkward and uncomfortable, I loved the layout of the ride. There was no head banging. The ride would be much better if they made it a sit down, floor coaster. I try to find the best in coaster and this one was easy to find good. It was still at the bottom of my coaster list on the trip but I think Thunderhawk takes the cake for the worst. But none these coasters were bad, I enjoyed them all.

6/10

Bizarro:

Another underdog coaster. Bit of a hike to get to but it was well worth it. The ride was very long and it has some great momnets, the zero-g roll, the helix after the MCBR and the dive loop really stood out to me. I loved the ride and I think it would be more appreciated if it was at a smaller park. Hydra was a step up though.

8/10

Log flume:

Great flume, though I found dorney's to be better. The same company that made this made the rocky point flume ride, so I thought that was cool. Got pretty wet but the guy put one too many people in the log. 8/10

Safari:

Great ride, very impressive amount of land and animals they have back there. I liked the effort they put into the ride, but the line was insanely long. Even using the flash pass, we were in line for a good 20-25 minutes. 10/10

Sky Screamer:

Fun ride with awesome music. They were playing ACDC! I loved the look of the ride and I thought that it was placed in a perfect spot, I wouldn't wait in line for it though.

7/10

Parachute jumpers:

Very cool ride with great views, very unique too. I loved the views you got uptop, even the like drop going down was enjoyable, just a nice, relaxing ride.

9/10

Twister was closed all day and it didn't look like it was opening anytime soon.

The park was surprising clean with a lot of charm in areas.

We walked up to Zumanjaro but the damn ride closed in front of us because the line was too big, it was about 830 when we tried.

I really enjoyed the park and will be back soon. Hopefully in the fall.