TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Headed out to the park today as I hadn't been back since Zumanjaro opened. It was very muggy, but a fun day.

Arrived around 11:30 and headed over to Zumanjaro. The ride only had what would have been a 20 minute wait, but it did break down for about 10-15 minutes. It looked like there was an issue with the retracting roof. During this time, KK did not send any trains out either. Does anyone know if Zumanjaro downtime affects KK? I'm hoping it was just because the roof wouldn't close.

Afterward Zumanjaro, we headed over to KK which only had a 30 minute line. I'm glad to see that Zumanjaro has not drastically reduced Kingda Ka's capacity, as the crew was still constantly loading and unloading trains, sending them out as quickly as possible. We rode in the 2nd row of car 2. A great ride as always.

Next we headed over to El Toro which was a 1 train station wait. The ride was running as great as always, rode in the 2nd row of car 6. No matter how many times I ride it, the air time always blows me away. I'm glad SFGAdv maintains it so well, as it is definitely one of the best in the US.

After El Toro, we rode Bizarro, which was running all 3 trains. The ride itself is great, however the operations were slow as usual. All three trains stacked every time, and the ops weren't moving as fast as the other rides. It was a walk-on and I'm glad to see them using all available trains.

Next we rode the sky ride and hit up Nitro. They were running 2 trains and it was only about a 5 minute wait. There was a short delay as someone pulled out their cell phone and the ride was stopped on the lift. Nitro was running great. We rode in Train C and didn't notice any unusual vibrations or roughness.

After Nitro was Batman. It was a walk-on and was a great intense ride. It's definitely running the best that I can remember, very smooth and intense.

At this point the storms started to move in, so we decided to ride Skull Mountain, as my friend had never been on it. The queue was moving very slowly and the hallway leading to the station was pretty unbearable as the ac was not working. They were only running one train, which due to the crowd levels I would assume was fine, however as the other rides closed and people started rushing it, a second train would have definitely helped.

I'm glad that both Zumanjaro and Kingda Ka capacities are not majorly affected by each other. Both rides seemed to get as many people possible through as best they could given that they can't operate together. As has been mentioned before, the Zumanjaro queue definitely has an unfinished feel to it. I wish they would have added plants to more than just in-between the queue and exit paths, though the new views of El Toro are nice. The ride crews seemed to be a little slower than normal, but I'll toss that up to low crowd levels and the absurd humidity today, however I'm hoping they're faster on a busy Saturday. Overall it was a great day cut short by some stormy weather. While the park has its ups and downs, I'll always be grateful to live so close to a park with such great rides.

well you should talk to a Ka operator, per a operator yesterday at the park, Ka's capacity is cut in half now since zumanjaro. He stated, before Zumanjaro, they did 56-58 launches a hr. Now they only do 30 launches. that's a 50% reduction in capacity.

Headed out to the park today as I hadn't been back since Zumanjaro opened. It was very muggy, but a fun day.

Arrived around 11:30 and headed over to Zumanjaro. The ride only had what would have been a 20 minute wait, but it did break down for about 10-15 minutes. It looked like there was an issue with the retracting roof. During this time, KK did not send any trains out either. Does anyone know if Zumanjaro downtime affects KK? I'm hoping it was just because the roof wouldn't close.

I think it does vecause I was at the park on friday night and around 9pm got the last ride on KK as it shut down for techincal difficulties. Then when I got off and walked over to Zumanjaro it had just closed down. A few minutes Zumanjaro reopened and I got my first ride on that and KK had just reopened when I got off.

^That's definitely disappointing, though it makes sense as the computers for KK need to know when Zumanjaro is running and vice versa. Hopefully Six Flags can get NJ to loosen up and allow the 2 rides to run simultaneously, although I'm not getting my hopes up for that.

I don't even really get what you're talking about. Ka's launch system could experience a catastrophic failure and riders of Zumanjaro might get hit by flying debris?

Take out the question mark and you'll understand me perfectly. If the accident did not happen previously this would probably not even be a thought.

In any case call me ignorant all you want but I don't think you have any more information than I do, did you call up someone from the state and ask them why exactly that decision was made?

No I did not, but neither did you. I choose not to make one sided speculations and am just trying to point out the other side.

Maybe you can clarify. There's lots of remote possibilities in the world but like I said, I don't buy that there's any HUGE danger, and I fail to see how running the rides this way insures anybody's safety.

You are using the word huge to describe the likelihood of such an accident. I am using the word huge to describe the type of damage that can be done to the human body by an object flying over 100MPH.

I was thinking more about the flying cell phones problem and I've pretty much decided it's impossible. Think about it, a cellphone isn't going to fly FORWARDS from somebody's pocket as if it were shot from a gun, it's going to fall down and backwards (relative to the pocket it fell from). Even if it were to wrench itself free at exactly the right point during the pull-up to continue flying at the level of Zumanjaro, think about how far left it would have to fly, why would it do that? It would continue going straight ahead, the way the train was going. Anything coming out of anyone's pockets poses way more danger to people on the ground than people riding Zumanjaro. The only danger for those on the ride would be from above, and haven't they already put in protection from that?

Agreed, the more likely chance for an incident to occur is if something falling on the Drop Tower riders from above. That has been neutralized by the shield when riders are loading and unloading. However, that shield only protects the riders before they start moving vertically. If the rides were run simultaneously there would be a greater probability since the shield would not always be protecting the riders.

I think it does vecause I was at the park on friday night and around 9pm got the last ride on KK as it shut down for techincal difficulties. Then when I got off and walked over to Zumanjaro it had just closed down. A few minutes Zumanjaro reopened and I got my first ride on that and KK had just reopened when I got off.

Zumanjaro only closes Ka down when its roof doesn't close since Ka isn't allowed to run unless the roof is down. Zumanjaro can have a break down where Ka continues to run as long as the roof is closed. I've seen it happen before.

^^ I saw that too. If they get a storm tonight that is half as crazy as what we got in Philly last night I doubt anyone will even want to stay at the park. I love people bitching about it on FB too. "I'm here and its sunny and Six Flags are money hungry". Maybe take 30 seconds to check the radar on your phone so you, too, can see that massive thunderstorm headed right for ya!

Zumanjaro only closes Ka down when its roof doesn't close since Ka isn't allowed to run unless the roof is down. Zumanjaro can have a break down where Ka continues to run as long as the roof is closed. I've seen it happen before.

Thanks for the clarification Ryan. Good to know that is the only thing Zumanjaro related that would close KK would be the roof.

Thanks for the clarification Ryan. Good to know that is the only thing Zumanjaro related that would close KK would be the roof.

Sounds like all they have to do to keep both open is just to enclose the entire droptower. /facepalm

Can anyone else see how it is almost impossible for the riders to get hit by debris? The riders on Zumanjaro are at the top by the time Ka clears the launch track. Unless someone intentionally has the strength to hurl an object at an almost right angle (after the twist someone would have to throw something to the side, which means in the rider's piv, they'll have to throw towards the bottom of the train) then the riders of both rides are perfectly fine. It is all about timing. If the correct timing is in order, no one will get hurt. As for the 2005 incident, that hasn't happened in 9 years. I'm positive nothing like it will happen for a long time

Just curious, has anyone been on both Lex Luthor and Zumanjaro? They look nearly identical, but I wasn't sure if there was any differences in the ride experience (audio, longer hold at the top, etc). I rode Lex Luthor earlier this summer and loved it.

What makes me mad is that riders probably have a higher chance of being hit by a loose article on the same train they're on than a rider on Zumanjaro getting hit by a loose article from Ka yet the state won't allow the two to run together. Maybe the state would allow both rides to run simultaneoulsy if Ka had netting around the bottom of the track like Goliath at SFOG

JZFR_feature_six_flags_spring_break_06.thumb.jpg.bac32e9ee16000dc5609cb6a2b0c2e43.jpg

What makes me mad is that riders probably have a higher chance of being hit by a loose article on the same train they're on than a rider on Zumanjaro getting hit by a loose article from Ka yet the state won't allow the two to run together.

True. I don't remember ever seeing anything flying off a train while not on the ride but I do remember getting hit by a coin (in the forehead) in Nitro's hill after the hammerhead turn. It wasn't really painful but that's because it wasn't going very fast and it was a small coin.

^Now that I think of it, that has to be the case unless you throw it on purpose. During the launch, if you drop anything it will go forwards (to the back of the tower) and the opposite will happen after the top hat. If you drop it while clearing the top hat it will go forwards into the parking lot. I think that little to no objects dropped would end within zumanjaro's area.

Agreed, the more likely chance for an incident to occur is if something falling on the Drop Tower riders from above. That has been neutralized by the shield when riders are loading and unloading. However, that shield only protects the riders before they start moving vertically. If the rides were run simultaneously there would be a greater probability since the shield would not always be protecting the riders.

I'm not really clear on this since I haven't been on the ride yet. Is the shield you're talking about over the loading area, not at the top of the tower? If so, what's keeping them from putting some netting beside the top hat track at the top of the tower and completely eliminating the danger? Also, don't the gondolas themselves have a clear plastic roof directly overhead? Wouldn't that also protect riders?

I'm not really clear on this since I haven't been on the ride yet. Is the shield you're talking about over the loading area, not at the top of the tower? If so, what's keeping them from putting some netting beside the top hat track at the top of the tower and completely eliminating the danger? Also, don't the gondolas themselves have a clear plastic roof directly overhead? Wouldn't that also protect riders?

The screen is in the loading area. It folds back and forth over the station depending on which ride is running.

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I don't mind that the two rides don't run concurrently. Not having a Ka train come overhead as you drop doesn't take away from the thrill of the plunge. It didn't for me, at least.