TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Here's a simple solution for the whole fastest coaster controversy. They can just say KK is the fastest coaster in the Americas, or Western Hemisphere, or something to that effect.

Kingda Ka - The fastest coaster that 99.99% of you will ever ride!

Headed to the park for a couple hours today- not an overwhelming crowd. (Finally) made it onto Zumajaro.....got in line around 2pm (about 100 people deep), and the ride wasn't running at the time, which caused about a 1/3rd of the line to drop out. Made it on within 40 minutes (10 minutes of which was due to the fact that they were testing it without passengers).

Did I like the ride? Yes- being that high is a great feeling.....however, roller coasters are still my thing.

It did not seem like the 2 cycle through of Kingda Ka vs.1 Zumajaro totally killed the capacity (of Zumajaro) like I've been reading about....does it hurt it to some degree? Of course- but doesn't kill it like some are making it out to seem. Anytime you put a major ride with a capacity of only 24 people per cycle/no second ride to load while one is running.....in a park the size of a SFGA- you are going to expect/see a long line.

Didn't make it onto Kingda Ka- so can't gauge/comment how the capacity has been hurt.....

^ When I was at the park the other day to ride both, I noticed that if they have the second train ready to go while the first train is waiting to launch, they still send the second one up behind it like in the past (when two trains per side were dispatched simultaneously) and have it wait so the third train can get loaded. By the point the third train is ready, enough time has passed and the first train has launched. I basically view it that instead of the trains stacking in the back, they stack in the front a bit. There's no real downtime in the station at all that prevents loading / unloading from moving like normal.

I was at the park today, ended up getting there during passholder preview of Zumanjaro. Walked right on, it was about a 10-15 minute wait, but they called for a single rider and I got on the next train. The two Ka to one Zumanjaro seemed to be fine as I noticed that they were getting ready to launch Zumanjaro before Ka was completely finished.

I enjoyed the ride. Great addition to the park.

Also enjoyed the Off Road Safari today. I paid for the Soarin' Eagle, I thought that was a fun little upcharge. couldn't see the bears, but on this humid day, the breeze felt amazing.

I was at the park today

As I'll be there next Wed, how were the lines for the usual suspects (Toro, Nitro, etc) and how crowded overall? Thanks!

^ I was there with my mom, so I didn't do anything on the Nitro side of the park. She can't handle heat well and we had to leave early, but I can tell you the El Toro Line was non existent. Walked right up into the station.

I had heard Ka was at about an hour around 11:30ish, when I finished riding Zumanjaro. There were some school buses of camps, but it really didn't seem super crowded. I think a lot were at hurricane harbor.

Don't know how much that info will help you.

Nice, thanks for the response. Myself and a good buddy both scheduled off from work for a full day @ the park so hoping weather is decent to OK and park is quiet due to it being mid week. Not a big deal if it isnt but one can hope. Even if its rainy its not a big deal to me just not downpours/thunderstorms. Unfortunately I'm unable to take a vacation at all this year (neither is he - and he's got his first born coming in a month and a half) so these days I am getting here and there are pretty important and want to make the most of them. Hearing that Toro was a walk on is definitely encouraging. Would love some re-rides. Thanks again.

^ Was there last Tuesday 7/2 and Wednesday 7/3, the park was dead, most rides were walk-on, including Kingda Ka (for the 2 hours they had it open.) If you can handle the heat and humidity summer midweek is a great time to go, you can cool off on the water rides or the many air conditioned arcades.

Went on Tuesday and had a great time! Everything was a walk on except Green Lantern (15 minutes), Kingda Ka (40 minutes, including a delay), and Zumanjaro (25 minutes in single rider line). Rode Nitro a few times and once in C train. Rattley? Yes. Uncomfortable? No. I think some people are just a bit dramatic We rode El Toro close to 6 times. Will they ever make that station wider? It was ridiculous!!!

Sounds awesome, thanks everyone. Now just hope the weather works out.

Also, whats wrong with Toro's station? ^^ Not wide like too crowded? Everyone always crowds around the front, I push past to get to the back every time. Anyone have any issues with the latest loose article policy they've supposedly started the last week or two (must be in zippered/buttoned pocket or in locker)?

Also it amazes me how often GL seems to have one of the longer lines. It's so painful and weird to ride, I can only assume it's popular as its one of the first things people see. It's one of my least favorites, second only to Dark Knight.

Went on Tuesday and had a great time! Everything was a walk on except Green Lantern (15 minutes), Kingda Ka (40 minutes, including a delay), and Zumanjaro (25 minutes in single rider line). Rode Nitro a few times and once in C train. Rattley? Yes. Uncomfortable? No. I think some people are just a bit dramatic We rode El Toro close to 6 times. Will they ever make that station wider? It was ridiculous!!!

You probably know this but El Toro's station was Viper's old station. For Viper, the station was setup with a load section and an unload section like Millennium Force. Riders entered and exited on the wider section of the station (current load side for Toro) and the thinner current exit side was only used by employees. To this day on Toro's load side near the ramp in the back are exit signs that point to the ramp that were there for Viper's old exit. Should the station have been widened a bit for Toro? Probably, but luckily it's still enough to work with. haha When we're rolling trains, everyone from the previous train will have just exited the station by the time we're finished. People waiting for the front row do block a lot of people from entering the station but a quick spiel on the mic always solves that problem. And I remember hearing rumors from when the ride was being built that riders would enter and exit on the same side which would have been a disaster if that actually came true.

Got a gold flash pass for friday, how will the crowds be?

Probably not to bad. We only get crazy busy on Saturdays generally.

http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2014/07/six_flags_entertainer_charged_with_secretly_recording_women_in_dressing_room.html

Six Flags entertainer charged with secretly recording women in dressing room

MaryAnn Spoto/The Star-Ledger By MaryAnn Spoto/The Star-Ledger

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on July 09, 2014 at 12:17 PM, updated July 09, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Six Flags Great Adventure entertainer has been charged with secretly video taping female performers in their dressing room, Jackson police said today

JACKSON — A Six Flags Great Adventure employee has been charged with secretly videotaping female entertainers as they changed in their dressing room, authorities said today.

Leonard Vasile Jr., 25, of South Plainfield, was charged last Thursday with invasion of privacy from incidents that allegedly started last fall, said Jackson police Lt. Steven Laskiewicz.

Laskiewicz said representatives of Six Flags contacted the police department on July 3 after they were alerted to possible criminal activity by an entertainer working in the park.

An investigation by Detectives Mitch Cowit and Ed Howe revealed that Vasile had secretly set up a computer to video record female entertainers in a dressing room.

Vasile got into a private trailer used by dancers and entertainers and had set up the computer to record them as they were dressing and undressing, Laskiewicz said. He said the recording started in the fall when the park features Fright Fest and ended shortly before the incident was reported.

The activity did not involve any members of the general public, he said.

The investigation is continuing with the help of the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office’s computer crimes unit and park representatives to try to determine whether there were other victims, Laskiewicz said.

After his arrest, Vasile was released on $25,000 bail, Laskiewicz said.

Anyone with additional information about the case is asked to call Cowit or Howe at 732-928-1111.

Six Flags issued a statement this afternoon but wouldn't say how long Vasile worked at the park or how the alleged incidents came to light.

"The safety and well-being of our guests and employees is our top priority and we have zero tolerance for any inappropriate behavior," the statement said. "When this situation was brought to our attention, we immediately turned it over to local authorities and have terminated his employment."

Hi there, a few specific questions for those who would know!

We're landing in Philadelphia tomorrow Friday July 11th at 8:50 AM and will pick up a rental car.

Plan A has been to head to Great Adventure from the airport. I'm slightly concerned about two things, though... first, we'll probably have to stop for breakfast, and so it's possible we'll miss park opening at 10:30 AM. Second, we're on a red eye and are going to be tired, so will probably have to leave the park in the evening, probably 6 PM.

Plan B would be to go on Wednesday July 16th. We would be staying the night before in Allentown so could definitely make park opening. It would be similar timing in that our flight out of Philadelphia is at 8:30 PM so we'd have to leave the park a bit earlier.

Given those two scenarios, which would you pick and why?

Second question... I had planned on one day at Great Adventure, and the other day at Dorney Park, mostly just for the sake of variety... and I had thought originally that we'd get a full day Friday at Great Adventure and a partial day Wednesday at Dorney Park. Financial considerations aside, and given that we aren't interested in the water parks or the safari, would you do one day at each park or two at Great Adventure?

Third and final question... I have read some of the suggested ride sequences and will consider those absolutely but was wondering if there are any coasters that are cycle coasters i.e. one train that has to unload and load to repeat so it's super important to get to them early and if the line looks long it is long? Is Kingda Ka that type of coaster? (Hence my concerns about not being there for park opening.) Conversely which coasters tend to never have a line so that skipping them early and coming back to them later is a good strategy?

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I've read the last 20-30 pages of this thread and we're pretty excited. I haven't been to Jackson NJ since 1998 or so.

(For the curious, Monday is at Hersheypark, and Tuesday at Knoebel's.)

Hi there, a few specific questions for those who would know!

We're landing in Philadelphia tomorrow Friday July 11th at 8:50 AM and will pick up a rental car.

Plan A has been to head to Great Adventure from the airport. I'm slightly concerned about two things, though... first, we'll probably have to stop for breakfast, and so it's possible we'll miss park opening at 10:30 AM. Second, we're on a red eye and are going to be tired, so will probably have to leave the park in the evening, probably 6 PM.

Plan B would be to go on Wednesday July 16th. We would be staying the night before in Allentown so could definitely make park opening. It would be similar timing in that our flight out of Philadelphia is at 8:30 PM so we'd have to leave the park a bit earlier.

Given those two scenarios, which would you pick and why?

Second question... I had planned on one day at Great Adventure, and the other day at Dorney Park, mostly just for the sake of variety... and I had thought originally that we'd get a full day Friday at Great Adventure and a partial day Wednesday at Dorney Park. Financial considerations aside, and given that we aren't interested in the water parks or the safari, would you do one day at each park or two at Great Adventure?

Third and final question... I have read some of the suggested ride sequences and will consider those absolutely but was wondering if there are any coasters that are cycle coasters i.e. one train that has to unload and load to repeat so it's super important to get to them early and if the line looks long it is long? Is Kingda Ka that type of coaster? (Hence my concerns about not being there for park opening.) Conversely which coasters tend to never have a line so that skipping them early and coming back to them later is a good strategy?

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I've read the last 20-30 pages of this thread and we're pretty excited. I haven't been to Jackson NJ since 1998 or so.

(For the curious, Monday is at Hersheypark, and Tuesday at Knoebel's.)

I'd go to Dorney the first day. There it makes no difference what time you arrive, and it'll be easier to enjoy after the flight and driving.

As for GADV, if you get there at opening, 6 hours or so is plenty of time. Due to the technical issues I've been hearing about Zumanjaro, I'd head there first. Ka has a short queue so what may look like a long wait is usually managable. Barring any breakdowns, it moves pretty efficiently as well. The non-Boardwalk B&M's either don't get huge lines and/or are major people-eaters, so timing is not a priority there. Toro also has a pretty short queue that only takes 45min to get through when full.

Basically, Zumanjaro, Ka, S:UF and GL are the only rides that you gotta feel out line-wise.

I was at the park on Tuesday... all the lines were very short... El toro was basically a walk on (or 2 train wait at most)... my longest line was Nitro but that was because they were stacking all 3 trains everytime. Zumanjaro was fun. Weaker than voodoo drop at SFA... it just didn't have that "KICK" to it... but I will also say that it definitely has the intimidating factor and holy Sh!t factor as you are going up. It is certainly re-rideable and I think everyone will have a blast on it! Great addition to the parks line up but it didn't scare me like I thought it would! That could also be a relatively reaction providing that I rode KK first (KK still is a powerhouse of a ride).

The only thing I did not like was the long path to get to the main queue house. It feel so ridiculous but at the same time how else are you going to get back there lol. I am sure they will fill in the empty space. I enjoyed the new views that are offered on this path. El toro's first drop looks so much more menacing now that you are able to walk next to it.

It was also my first visit back to the park since Safari Off Road Adventure was added. It actually was the surprise hit of my trip. I really really enjoyed it and my your guide.

Green Lantern, Skull, B;TDK, RM, B:TR, were all walk ones. Bizarro was a 1 train wait... it seems so out of place. It is still a fun ride. Sky Screamer was fun as well. Im not going to lie, I kinda miss having a classic wooden coaster to ride at the park... I hope the park will find a way to fill RTs void.

Can't really offer advice on which days to go to the parks as I mostly go to GA on Sundays and don't really do Dorney but I think GA is a full day park, even without the water park and safari. If you go on Wednesday, I will be there, and am planning a full 10-10 day without water park or safari (I'll re-ride coasters til I'm falling asleep if I can). Between the 11 coasters and the extreme flats (Sky Screamer, Twister, Zumanjaro, etc) there's plenty to keep you busy all day, imo. The park itself is really nice for a SF park.

As far as coasters that are more likely to have lines, I'll back up what most have said already - Ka, Superman, Green Lantern (and now Zumanjaro probably - I haven't been up to the park since it opened) all usually have lines compared to others. Superman is usually a craaaawwwwwlllllll but its worth waiting as its fun as hell imo. Nitro and Toro are popular too but they are both people eaters (Nitro more-so than Toro but if both trains are running on Toro the line will certainly move). Batman, Bizarro and the junior coasters (Skull, Blackbeards) never seem to have reaally long lines and Dark Knight I cant speak of cause I hate mouse coasters and rode it once and have never gone back. Seems Friday will be worse than a Wednesday for lines which is why we're going the 16th. If you see me say HI.

Thanks for the replies so far. Sounds like there are a variety of opinions, and I totally understand LOL in that I'm having my own issues going back and forth with the decision making process.

Reading back through the thread a few things caught my eye... I see conflicting information on the web site about the Thrill Pass... if I purchase that -- either online or in person -- can I immediately use it for bring a friend free? There's some language about Thrill Pass not offering that option. Is the in person price the same as online (and similar amounts of hassle)? There's a pretty large processing fee for buying online... I also read some references here on the board to add a friend to a flash pass for free, but don't see that benefit online for season pass holders.

It's kind of funny but the ACE 50% off the gate price for single day admission works out to be the EXACT same cost as a thrill pass... and if that comes with bring a friend free, and can be bought at the gate with no additional processing charges, there's no downside to going that route, and it might be usable some other time... or usable if we have to get a flash pass because of crowds. Then again, the fine print says the thrill pass isn't usable at other Six Flags parks... that's really odd, and something I've never seen at another Six Flags, then again, my main experience has been with Magic Mountain.

Huh. I guess I'm confused, which doesn't surprise me, it's Six Flags, and if I try to call with a question, I'll be on hold for 30-45 minutes and get someone who will give me an answer that might not be correct LOL, and if I email corporate, I will get a correct answer in three days.

Anyone who knows the ins and outs of season pass purchase have a quick and dirty opinion on the logic of buying a pass strictly for one day with bring a friend free?

Thanks for the replies so far. Sounds like there are a variety of opinions, and I totally understand LOL in that I'm having my own issues going back and forth with the decision making process.

Reading back through the thread a few things caught my eye... I see conflicting information on the web site about the Thrill Pass... if I purchase that -- either online or in person -- can I immediately use it for bring a friend free? There's some language about Thrill Pass not offering that option. Is the in person price the same as online (and similar amounts of hassle)? There's a pretty large processing fee for buying online... I also read some references here on the board to add a friend to a flash pass for free, but don't see that benefit online for season pass holders.

It's kind of funny but the ACE 50% off the gate price for single day admission works out to be the EXACT same cost as a thrill pass... and if that comes with bring a friend free, and can be bought at the gate with no additional processing charges, there's no downside to going that route, and it might be usable some other time... or usable if we have to get a flash pass because of crowds. Then again, the fine print says the thrill pass isn't usable at other Six Flags parks... that's really odd, and something I've never seen at another Six Flags, then again, my main experience has been with Magic Mountain.

Huh. I guess I'm confused, which doesn't surprise me, it's Six Flags, and if I try to call with a question, I'll be on hold for 30-45 minutes and get someone who will give me an answer that might not be correct LOL, and if I email corporate, I will get a correct answer in three days.

Anyone who knows the ins and outs of season pass purchase have a quick and dirty opinion on the logic of buying a pass strictly for one day with bring a friend free?

the in-person/gate price is not the same as online. but I do know if you order online, you get a 8.99 processing fee per order. im pretty sure the processing fee is almost half if you do the order through the SF AAA site, I believe then its 4.99 or 5.99. hope that little info helps.

66.99 at gate plus tax

41.99 or 46.99 depending on weekday/weekend- online price

good luck calling someone at the season pass dept. I called them at the beginning of the season and left a message in the voicemail, got a call back over a month later

thrill pass info from the website

Thrill Pass

Get unlimited visits all summer for the same price as a general admission ticket. You can pay for your Thrill Pass in full today or choose 3 Easy Payments!

•Unlimited admission to Six Flags Great Adventure through September 14

•Does NOT include park discounts, free tickets for friends or admission to other parks

I tend to defend GADV quite a bit, but geeze what a horrible park its turned into this season. Everything, everywhere feels temporary and half planned. I visited the park for the first time since opening week the other day and was heartbroken by the state of the park. The area by Kingda Ka is disgusting. I have never seen an area featuring a new ride so half-assed before. Easily the ugliest area of a major park I have ever seen. This is a shame since GK was once wonderfuly themed.

The good news is that KK and Jaro not operating at the same time doesn't impact capacity as much as expected. But operations being only slightly impacted shouldn't be a trip highlight

I tend to defend GADV quite a bit, but geeze what a horrible park its turned into this season. Everything, everywhere feels temporary and half planned. I visited the park for the first time since opening week the other day and was heartbroken by the state of the park. The area by Kingda Ka is disgusting. I have never seen an area featuring a new ride so half-assed before. Easily the ugliest area of a major park I have ever seen. This is a shame since GK was once wonderfuly themed.

The good news is that KK and Jaro not operating at the same time doesn't impact capacity as much as expected. But operations being only slightly impacted shouldn't be a trip highlight

That has been/continues to be my #1 frustration with the park! I get it- capital on major attractions each year is the #1 priority to maintain/drive people in the park....I wish that they could set aside further expenses for purposes of maintaining the cleanliness of these types of areas, weeds, cracked pavement, etc.

Agreed!

It's my home park, and I haven't been in almost three years. Great Adventure has "themed" areas and could have easily stuck to them, creating at least some sort of cohesion. I don't think I will be back until chiller finally gets its replacement and the park does some major renovating.

Of course the park needs some work, but I feel you guys are overstating it a bit. The state of Movietown drives me nuts, but I'd take the park now over what it was 10 years. No longer are there any coasters down for months and months at a time (Chiller), no more painful coasters with low ridership (GASM, RT and Viper), ugly and abandoned children's areas (BBL), a major safari is no longer neglected, and there aren't dozens of flats SBNO anymore.

And the attractions the park has been receiving are exactly what you guys have been begging for. Another family coaster with TDK, an addition to HH, a family flat with Skyscreamer, a drop tower, and they turned the safari into a very well-done attraction. Some people here are incredibly spoiled and have expectations that are way too high.

It does bother me too, I wish they would cut the cost of a ride down by just .5 or 1 million and clean up the park a little bit... Half a million can go really far when buying plants and rebuilding pathways and such...

Hopefully they will start to walk around the park and just open their eyes to what has happened in recent months...

Of course the park needs some work, but I feel you guys are overstating it a bit. The state of Movietown drives me nuts, but I'd take the park now over what it was 10 years. No longer are there any coasters down for months and months at a time (Chiller), no more painful coasters with low ridership (GASM, RT and Viper), ugly and abandoned children's areas (BBL), a major safari is no longer neglected, and there aren't dozens of flats SBNO anymore.

And the attractions the park has been receiving are exactly what you guys have been begging for. Another family coaster with TDK, an addition to HH, a family flat with Skyscreamer, a drop tower, and they turned the safari into a very well-done attraction. Some people here are incredibly spoiled and have expectations that are way too high.

I agree with this. Every enthusiast I talk to not from here tells me we're the most spoiled ones and I can see why. We keep complaining about a park that enthusiasts from all over the world want to travel to. We have one of the best coaster collections in the world, a top 5 wooden coaster in the world which is the best imo, a great improvement in the flat collection with the additions of SkyScreamer, Safari Offroad Adventure and now Zumanjaro and rare rides like the Skyway, Houdini and the Parachutes, a waterpark with unbelievable additions the past 5 years and not to mention they have the best weather and re-ride policy of any park I've been to.

People complain about beauty, go stand by RMT and look at the view of El Toro and Ka from there or walk under Bizarro's cobra roll. I get it this park is not perfect but let's not exaggerate saying it's a shithole. I'd take this as my home park over many other places. Honestly I might get criticized for this but GAdv holds its own for me against Hershey and CP. Not saying it's better but they're not far behind at all.