TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

So I wonder what the long term plan is then... It makes sense that the "New Hotness" would take top bidding with capacity, but when both rides are no longer new and are pulling about the same amount of people in the lark, I wonder how they will run it then...

Hopefully by then, the state will allow both rides to run at the same time so Ka isn't affected by Zumanjaro anymore. GADV is still fighting the state about this.

don't plan on the state to ever allow it, 9 yrs later, Ka never went back to the original layout of the que and guest viewing area.

So I wonder what the long term plan is then... It makes sense that the "New Hotness" would take top bidding with capacity, but when both rides are no longer new and are pulling about the same amount of people in the lark, I wonder how they will run it then...

Hopefully by then, the state will allow both rides to run at the same time so Ka isn't affected by Zumanjaro anymore. GADV is still fighting the state about this.

don't plan on the state to ever allow it, 9 yrs later, Ka never went back to the original layout of the que and guest viewing area.

And you know for a fact that Six Flags has been fighting this for 9 years?

So showed up at the park today at 10am.....moved quickly through Security/Ticket Gates (nice job SFGA)- and "strategically" got right up front (on the rope), with good intent to be one of the 1st on Zumajaro this morning. I didn't know that Season Pass Holders "got a break" and were allowed ahead of the crowd around 10:20am- so I took advantage of that, and landed approx. #40 on line. So- I waited, waited, waited....no Zumajaro running. Long story short- I gave up on the line, hit El Toro (front seat) and headed home....disappointed to take a few hours at the park this morning, and not be able to get on Zumajaro.

I'm fine with working out kinks, safety precautions, etc.....however- I'd like the park to be upfront with when the ride was going to open (stupid me figured it would be up and running at 10:30am....I should know better!).....instead of letting a long line build, with no explanation, and frustrated guests.

Thanks for listening!

What happened to KK's queue? Was it like TTD's today? Wasn't it due to an incident during testing or the early days of operation?

The original queue had multiple sets of switchbacks and went into the middle of the ride area. There was also a viewing area. There are a few pictures of it here: http://www.gadv.com/forums/topic/7133-kks-old-queue/page-16

They stopped using it due to an incident in I think June 2005.

Was that state-mandated or a SF decision? TTD at CP has a queue right under the launch track and guests can get a few feet away from it across a "chain link" type fence that definitely would not stop shards of metal or a snapping cable. (On another note, TTD has had its cable fray once, injuring some people on the train.) Didn't somebody get their eye poked out by a shard of metal at the KK incident? I could have sworn I heard that somewhere. I also heard that the line was closed in part not just because of the incident, but also because of loose change, etc.

I think it was a state decision. If I remember correctly, the incident happened during a test run and there were no riders.

I meant a bystander got struck.

By the way, does NJ have the most strict "safety" regulations of any state? Or does that "honor" go to California or some other state?

I think it was a state decision. If I remember correctly, the incident happened during a test run and there were no riders.

By the way, does NJ have the most strict "safety" regulations of any state? Or does that "honor" go to California or some other state?

I'm not sure about it having the most strict safety regulations, but I'd imagine they're pretty strict. As someone in Canada (i've heard we have some relatively strict regulations when it comes to rides), this seems like overkill. At my home park, they'll allow guests to walk pretty much under Leviathan, during parts of the ride where it's running from 60-90+ mph.

I'm not blaming this on the state tho, IMO, it was the park's fault. It was pretty stupid on the park's part for not checking into things like this. I always thought parks had to check with local regulations and provincial/state governments before they even started building, but I guess SF's exempt from this Even worse, this isn't the first time SF's run into trouble with local regulations... Remember SFDK's V2?

I'm not sure about it having the most strict safety regulations, but I'd imagine they're pretty strict. As someone in Canada (i've heard we have some relatively strict regulations when it comes to rides), this seems like overkill. At my home park, they'll allow guests to walk pretty much under Leviathan, during parts of the ride where it's running from 60-90+ mph.

I'm not blaming this on the state tho, IMO, it was the park's fault. It was pretty stupid on the park's part for not checking into things like this. I always thought parks had to check with local regulations and provincial/state governments before they even started building, but I guess SF's exempt from this Even worse, this isn't the first time SF's run into trouble with local regulations... Remember SFDK's V2?

Yeppers. Six Flags doesn't like following rules.

Kind of off topic but question for the regular park goers (which I am apparently becoming one of). How should I expect crowds to be on Tuesday and Wednesdays the next few weeks (keep in mind the bring a friend free special starting today for weekdays the next three weeks).

A buddy and I are planning on taking a hooky day and using the special, probably next week and it seems to me like the most dead days during mid-summer are Tuesday and Wednesdays. Is that fair to assume? Id really like to not have to spend the $ on a flash pass - but would if I had to.

Sucks having a job where I *have* to have someone cover my shift, as I have to plan out a specific day and then I'm just hawking the weather forecasts all week but I'll ride in a poncho if I have to. Obviously just don't want a day of T-storms where nothing is running.

Kind of off topic but question for the regular park goers (which I am apparently becoming one of). How should I expect crowds to be on Tuesday and Wednesdays the next few weeks (keep in mind the bring a friend free special starting today for weekdays the next three weeks).

A buddy and I are planning on taking a hooky day and using the special, probably next week and it seems to me like the most dead days during mid-summer are Tuesday and Wednesdays. Is that fair to assume? Id really like to not have to spend the $ on a flash pass - but would if I had to.

Sucks having a job where I *have* to have someone cover my shift, as I have to plan out a specific day and then I'm just hawking the weather forecasts all week but I'll ride in a poncho if I have to. Obviously just don't want a day of T-storms where nothing is running.

I'd say Tuesday or Wednesday is a good bet.

I went the 5th and Zumanjaro was only a 45min wait (at about 6pm) via the single rider line. If you don't mind going this route, there is no reason you can't get on every coaster, with multiple rides on a couple of them. Especially if you hit up the GL single rider line as well, which can cut about 20-25min off the regular wait time. Toro, Nitro, and B:TR all have quick moving lines, and Bizarro rarely ever has a line. That leaves only S:UF and KK as potential roadblocks.

Yeppers. Six Flags doesn't like following rules.

Oh yeah, & who can forget the fingerprint-scanning issue @ La Ronde?... Yet another example

http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2014/07/bystanders_stop_robber_at_six_flags_hurricane_harbor_police_say.html

Bystanders stop robber at Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, police say

JACKSON – A robber was thwarted when bystanders and family members of the victim chased down the assailant at Six Flags Hurricane Harbor on Sunday until police could arrive, authorities said.

Police said the victim reported that he had made a purchase inside the park and Gary Troxel, 20, of New Egypt, saw that he had a large amount of cash on him.

When the victim was near the exit, Troxel tried to talk to him, pushed him and stole the cash from his cargo pants pocket, police said. The victim suffered a minor foot injury during a short struggle, police said.

Troxel ran into the parking lot and the victim yelled for help while both family members and bystanders gave chase, police said. The robber got into a car of someone he knew in the parking lot, police said.

The bystanders and family members blocked the vehicle and prevented it from leaving the scene, police said.

Police searched the vehicle and found a small amount of heroin, authorities said. Police said the victim did not know the alleged robber.

Both Troxel and the driver, James Towles Jr., 40, of New Egypt, were arrested, police said. At police headquarters, Troxel tried to discard two hypodermic syringes but they were found, authorities said.

Troxel was charged with robbery, theft, possession of heroin and possession of hypodermic syringes. He was taken to the Ocean County jail in lieu of $35,000 bail, police said.

Towles was charged with possession of heroin and was released on a summons pending a court appearance, police said.

If you're referring to Ka's original quene line, it was built within state regulations. They would have never allowed the park to open Ka in the first place if it wasn't. You saw what they did with Zumanjaro. I don't know how SFDK got away with V2 but if someone knows, please tell me. Haha

And a bystander was never hit by any metal on Ka but last year or the year before, I believe a bird struck a rider in the front row or somewhere on the train.

New Jersey is ridiculous we have had Top Thrill Dragster running for 11 years with guest queuing inside the ride area and with the midway right next to it without any serious loose article incident.

If you're referring to Ka's original quene line, it was built within state regulations. They would have never allowed the park to open Ka in the first place if it wasn't. You saw what they did with Zumanjaro. I don't know how SFDK got away with V2 but if someone knows, please tell me. Haha

And a bystander was never hit by any metal on Ka but last year or the year before, I believe a bird struck a rider in the front row or somewhere on the train.

I have no idea how V2 happened either lol. Neither do I know how they managed to get this ride off the ground without having to cut through more red tape.

Somebody at Great Adventure History just reported that they were cutting down trees around Nitro's hammerhead turn today, most likely as a response to the Ninja incident.... I really hope this was just a random coincidence. It would be a shame if the part removed some of the beautiful old trees as a result of a freak accident that happened on the other side of the country.

^Oh, that would suck. Nitro is a beautiful coaster, when looking at the hammerhead and nearby airtime hills from the lift. I also hope this is a coincidence. How could they expect to cut down every tree nearby a coaster's tracks? That seems unlikely that a park would be doing that - "inspecting" the trees (make sure they are healthy!) would seem to be the batter option, so I think we should be just alright with the natural scenery staying - hopefully.

New Jersey is ridiculous we have had Top Thrill Dragster running for 11 years with guest queuing inside the ride area and with the midway right next to it without any serious loose article incident.

Eeeeexactly. For the majority of TTD's launch track guests can get a few feet away across a fence which would not completely stop flying metal, a snapped cable, or a loose cell phone. And nobody has been hurt. It sorta surprises me, thinking about Rita (snapped cable falls onto midway under launch track) and all that.

I just read a pretty good blog post about the new rule at Great Adventure about cell phones and cameras needing to be in buttoned or zippered pockets.

www.themeparkmaniacs.com/schedule/2014/july/070714.html">http://www.themeparkmaniacs.com/schedule/2014/july/070714.html]www.themeparkmaniacs.com/schedule/2014/july/070714.html[/url]

Good idea (sorta.) Although it should not be needed, you know how I am about theme park "bubble-wrapping", but this is something that I can deal with. Heck, it might open the door to KK/Z:DoD running together. One thing - do Velcro pockets count for this rule? However, seeing how Morey's Piers does this, it is completely stupid that you can't hold chapstick, etc. in your pockets. And do they mean metal detectors on rides at Morey's Piers? OK, this is stupid now.

Somebody at Great Adventure History just reported that they were cutting down trees around Nitro's hammerhead turn today, most likely as a response to the Ninja incident.... I really hope this was just a random coincidence. It would be a shame if the part removed some of the beautiful old trees as a result of a freak accident that happened on the other side of the country.

Wow. WOW. Just inspect the trees! That has to be cheaper than cutting them all down!

Not sure if it was just today, or if they will continue to do so for any amount of time, but zumanjaro was only open to season pass holders from open - noon, was a nice surprise today.