TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Your statement is biased. Zumanjaro does actually have plenty of lights and from what I've seen leaving work at night time, the lighting around the station area of Zumanjaro is enough to light up over a third of the Ka tower and the blue light on Ka is also back this year. The quene line is also very well lit for Zumanjaro. The only area of GADV that isn't well lit is Kingda Ka's line and the path leading towards Ka. The rest of the park is pretty well lit. Look at all the Boardwalk rides (including Superman and Green Lantern) and Skyscreamer and the Ferris Wheel. To say that GADV doesn't believe in lightning is completely false. It could be much worse.

The area you're describing is exactly where the new ride is going though. Golden Kingdom is incredibly dark... so dark that I can't believe it's in a theme park. I'm happy that the faint blue light is back on Ka but they've lit that tower multiple times before and it never lasted more than a season. Usually it only lasts a few weeks.

Makes me wonder what GA electrical bill is like!

I actually think it would be kind of cool if there were no lights on the tower.

Well.. here's a video of Kingda Ka at night. That really dark area behind (and a little to the right of) the camelback is the queue. This is assuming you can see the camelback.

Dragster for Comparison (skip to 10 seconds for the launch lights)...

I think this mostly is due to NJ playing hardball about potential simultaneous operations with Kingda Ka. I think they may be purposefully dragging things out because of the park's pushback. Can't say for certain, but the ride's seemingly been ready for a couple weeks now - I don't see how the park wouldn't have already done everything they could to get the state's operational permit ASAP.

EDIT: Then again, SFDK's V2 debacle comes to mind.... and SFNE's phamton Dark Knight coaster...

...Finger wags all around.

Can someone explain to me how this makes sense? They just let riders on for the commercial shoot last week and NOW they're saying they can't let others on because they still need a permit. Something doesn't seem right here.

Honestly, I don't know. I can understand when park personnel/engineers/designers ride it but I don't understand the commercial shoot business. Regardless, it is in their best interest to open the ride to the public ASAP so I can't imagine them putting up mysterious barriers to spite the community who wants to ride it. I think that's the elephant in the room here, we all think they have some nefarious reason to not open the ride but I don't believe that's true.

Im not so sure about that. Every time Ive been to the park this year Ive overheard at least one person (sometimes a few) talking about how disappointed they were to show up to find out KK and Zumanjaro were not open yet.

Also, not sure about nationally but SF has been airing commercials locally on TV for Zumanjaro for weeks now. They never say its open, only that either its coming soon or no date at all - just a general ad for the attraction and park itself. I imagine a lot of the GP doesn't bother checking to see if certain rides are actually open before going so SF is still making their money. Its not like they'd give refunds to people who just came to ride either of those.

Well lets just hope they get the permit asap and there isnt some long waiting period. I can bet SFGA is losing alot of money right now with this thing just sitting there and Kingda ka not running.

Okay so the big question is with this thing sitting there ready to operate and construction finished is Kingda Ka now open all day everyday (with the exception of it's usual frequent breakdowns)? It makes no sense to wait for Zumanjaro to get permits to open Kingda Ka. If construction is done and Kingda Ka can operate with riders with Zumanjaro open then it should be open with Zumanjaro closed. Right?

^ I wonder if KK had to get a new permit to operate now that the ride has been altered since its original construction. SF may be waiting on OKs to permits for both rides.

Related, I understand the frustration of the park or people that want to ride either of these but I just wish they'd open already to take some of the heat off the Toro and Nitro queues.

^ I wonder if KK had to get a new permit to operate now that the ride has been altered since its original construction. SF may be waiting on OKs to permits for both rides.

Kingda Ka has been running on weekends during construction of Zumanjaro so I can't imagine that being the case.

Kingda Ka has been running on weekends during construction of Zumanjaro so I can't imagine that being the case.

Oh yeah you're right, don't know why I didn't think of that. Midday brain fart, especially considering I rode it a few weeks ago! LOL .

Well lets just hope they get the permit asap and there isnt some long waiting period. I can bet SFGA is losing alot of money right now with this thing just sitting there and Kingda ka not running.

Okay so the big question is with this thing sitting there ready to operate and construction finished is Kingda Ka now open all day everyday (with the exception of it's usual frequent breakdowns)? It makes no sense to wait for Zumanjaro to get permits to open Kingda Ka. If construction is done and Kingda Ka can operate with riders with Zumanjaro open then it should be open with Zumanjaro closed. Right?

Agreed. And the rumor according to gadv.com is that a state inspector was supposed to inspect Zumanjaro last night but never showed up. They were then supposed to come today at 12 PM to do their inspection and the goal is to still have the ride ready for tomorrow.

Also the b-roll footage of Zumanjaro was just released by Six Flags.

well i give GA credit for having there end of he deal done. Now just waiting for someone to give the go ahead. At the latest it will probably open on the fifth for the public.

on another note every ride has its issues(kingdaka's launch cable, scream machine stuck on hill, batman stuck on hill, etc etc etc). Wondering if there will be any huge issues with this thing droping over and over again. Can only imagine the breaks will have to be checked/changed!

Any ideas on crowds this Tuesday? Considering buying flash pass if necessary but I really would prefer not to! I went last year and Ka had a 45 minute wait, so did Superman and GL. We did start in the back of the park where everything was almost a walk on (Nitro at 5-10 minutes) but I'm not sure if we just got lucky or if that's the norm. Is there a game plan or certain order to ride everything in? Thank you!!!

Anyone know if the guy on the left of that video ^^ the same dude on the EL Toro TPR footage? He's got the exact same laugh. On El Toro a few months ago some kids sitting behind me were imitating him on the El Toro video while on the break run. Was hilarious as I knew exactly what they were talking about. "Here we go!" "Throws you out your seat!"

well i give GA credit for having there end of he deal done. Now just waiting for someone to give the go ahead. At the latest it will probably open on the fifth for the public.

on another note every ride has its issues(kingdaka's launch cable, scream machine stuck on hill, batman stuck on hill, etc etc etc). Wondering if there will be any huge issues with this thing droping over and over again. Can only imagine the breaks will have to be checked/changed!

Actually, the brakes will probably need the least maintenance since they're non contact magnetic brakes like on most drop towers. If they were friction brakes, it would be a different story.

Any ideas on crowds this Tuesday? Considering buying flash pass if necessary but I really would prefer not to! I went last year and Ka had a 45 minute wait, so did Superman and GL. We did start in the back of the park where everything was almost a walk on (Nitro at 5-10 minutes) but I'm not sure if we just got lucky or if that's the norm. Is there a game plan or certain order to ride everything in? Thank you!!!

I don't know how crowds will be but probably nothing crazy. If you want the most rides possible, definitely get a flash pass. I hear Zumanjaro will be available on gold so I'd go for that. Definitely start off with Ka and Zumanjaro and then head over to Toro before the lines get to long, then I'd hit Bizarro, Nitro, Batman, Skyscreamer and the other smaller rides in between. I'd save Green Lantern and Superman for last since they get long lines in the morning.

You'll probably be able to ride everything in one day without the Flash Pass but the Flash Pass will make your day a whole lot better. If you want to ride Zumanjaro I'd suggest getting whatever level of Flash Pass they make you get to ride it... Flash Pass is also a good idea if you want to do the Safari as you'll have less time for everything else and it usually has a long line.

If you're credit whoring I always suggest riding Kingda Ka first because it's the most likely ride to break down, but since you already have the credit I'd go to Nitro, Batman and Batman the Dark Knight first as they'll all be walk ons - 5 minute waits. Remember not to ride Nitro's C Train... let it go empty if you have to or let someone go ahead of you.

Usually we follow that path and end up re-riding Nitro and Batman for awhile since it takes them awhile to build up lines. After that the best thing to do is probably to take the Skyride over to Bizarro as it won't have a line. Feel free to ride Skull Mountain or the Mine Train if you want as they're near the skyride stations.

Once you get off Bizarro everything will have a line so you can really just do whatever you're in the mood for. That being said if you want to ride Safari and don't want a Flash Pass forget all that and go to Safari immediately. If Zumanjaro is open you could go there too but so will everyone else.

Oh... and a random tip but if you've never ridden Houdini's Great Escape I'd suggest riding it. It's the most unique flat ride in the park and no matter how many times I ride it I still can't completely figure out how it works.

Edit: Ryan said the opposite of what I did and he works there so maybe you should listen to him. lol

You'll probably be able to ride everything in one day without the Flash Pass but the Flash Pass will make your day a whole lot better. If you want to ride Zumanjaro I'd suggest getting whatever level of Flash Pass they make you get to ride it... Flash Pass is also a good idea if you want to do the Safari as you'll have less time for everything else and it usually has a long line.

If you're credit whoring I always suggest riding Kingda Ka first because it's the most likely ride to break down, but since you already have the credit I'd go to Nitro, Batman and Batman the Dark Knight first as they'll all be walk ons - 5 minute waits. Remember not to ride Nitro's C Train... let it go empty if you have to or let someone go ahead of you.

Usually we follow that path and end up re-riding Nitro and Batman for awhile since it takes them awhile to build up lines. After that the best thing to do is probably to take the Skyride over to Bizarro as it won't have a line. Feel free to ride Skull Mountain or the Mine Train if you want as they're near the skyride stations.

Once you get off Bizarro everything will have a line so you can really just do whatever you're in the mood for. That being said if you want to ride Safari and don't want a Flash Pass forget all that and go to Safari immediately. If Zumanjaro is open you could go there too but so will everyone else.

Oh... and a random tip but if you've never ridden Houdini's Great Escape I'd suggest riding it. It's the most unique flat ride in the park and no matter how many times I ride it I still can't completely figure out how it works.

Edit: Ryan said the opposite of what I did and he works there so maybe you should listen to him. lol

I've done your plan before and mine and they both work. haha Just ride rides while you are there! All of the rides at GADV are easily doable in one day

Thanks, guys! We WERE able to ride everything in one day last year, including Nitro probably close to 8 times, El Toro about 4 (15 minute wait on average). Everything else was just once. We didn't get to ride Skyscreamer and we completely forgot about Houdini until we had already left One of the reasons why we might buy flash pass isn't just for lines, but we are leaving before close as we are going to drive up to MA to go to SFNE the next day.