TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

The entrance sign is up. Picture taken by my area supervisor.

Ryan, is this the queue line or is there a closer viewing section for GP to go to down this path?

It is the quene line but the exit path also lets out here as well. I don't know if there is an official viewing platform but you could always walk down the exit or get some good views while you're in line. Not to mention that the parking lot is directly next to the ride so you can get some good views from there as well.

That's pretty accurate. The drop packs a punch but I'd put it a step below the Intamin Gyro Drops and a little further below the Larson towers like the one at Knoebels which are probably the best towers out there. Still, they're great rides and the view is going to be spectacular.

I strongly prefer Lex Luthor to both US Gyro Drops, and to every US drop tower I've been on (including Scandia, Lake Winnie, Carowinds, BGW, CGA, and other S&S ones). But I do imagine this one to feel virtually the same as Lex Luthor, the added height could add .3 seconds maybe?

I've heard look to the right of Nitro's second hill and you can kind of see the Philadelphia skyline.

Philadelphia is 80 miles away from Six Flags. No, you can't. Not even on the clearest day.

Philadelphia is 80 miles away from Six Flags.

From my house in center city Philadelphia to the front gate of SFGAdv is 52.1 miles. Just sayin.

I heard a radio commercial this morning saying that they have extended ride times or something on the 4th, 5th and 6th. No mention of Zumanjaro because for a park that has ads everywhere they really don't seem to understand the concept of good advertising.

Just got the following press release about today's media day:

Preview of Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom Delayed

JACKSON, NJ―July 2, 2014―The press preview of Six Flags Great Adventure’s Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom has been delayed. The New Jersey Department of Community Affairs’ Carnival-Amusement Ride Safety Unit has not yet granted the operating permit. Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom is a very complex, innovative ride, and the state’s review of documentation is still underway.

All testing and inspection by Six Flags engineers, maintenance and operations teams have been completed. The ride is fully operational and in compliance with the manufacturer’s specifications.

Six Flags respects the function and responsibility of the Carnival-Amusement Ride Safety Unit of the DCA and looks forward to their inspection soon.

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom stands a staggering 41 stories tall. Connected to the iconic Kingda Ka roller coaster—the 45-story monster that ranks as the world’s tallest and fastest coaster—Zumanjaro hoists riders 415 feet into the sky and plummets them back to Earth at speeds of up to 90 miles per hour.

Three soaring Zumanjaro towers stand on the face of the massive Kingda Ka coaster. The trio of gondolas rises to the top of the tower in approximately 30 seconds. Riders pause for a few terrifying moments 41 stories in the air—even higher than London’s Big Ben and twice as tall as Lady Liberty—allowing them to catch a glimpse of the skyscrapers in Philadelphia 52 miles to the southwest before gravity plunges them back to ground level in less than 10 seconds.

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom was recently named the No. 3 most thrilling ride in the U.S. according to USA Today.

Has anyone seen zumanjaro at night yet? I would love to see what lighting they will be using when it gets dark out.

Most likely none, the ride is at Six Flags Great Adventure so it's a guarantee that the ride will have no lights on it at all (they have a faint blue light they may use for a few weeks but it will never last and even that's no guarantee).

I was actually surprised to see that they had a few lights in the queue line. I think I saw two in the last picture they posted. I expected them to just use moonlight and the lights from El Toro's station and the queue building a few hundred feet away for ambient light like they do with Kingda Ka's queue. This is completely stupid and ridiculous but they don't really believe in lights at Great Adventure, especially in the Golden Kingdom.

Has anyone seen zumanjaro at night yet? I would love to see what lighting they will be using when it gets dark out.

Most likely none, the ride is at Six Flags Great Adventure so it's a guarantee that the ride will have no lights on it at all (they have a faint blue light they may use for a few weeks but it will never last and even that's no guarantee).

I was actually surprised to see that they had a few lights in the queue line. I think I saw two in the last picture they posted. I expected them to just use moonlight and the lights from El Toro's station and the queue building a few hundred feet away for ambient light like they do with Kingda Ka's queue. This is completely stupid and ridiculous but they don't really believe in lights at Great Adventure, especially in the Golden Kingdom.

Sky Screamer is the best lit ride in the park. The rest is just darkness and a few flood lights here and there.

So if the entrance to Zumanjaro is basically halfway between Golden Kingdom and Plaza del Carnaval...is the connecting path open again or not?

The entrance path is actually almost directly next to Kingda Ka's entrance. The two rides share Kingda Ka's lockers even. I don't know if the park plans to reopen the connecting path but hopefully they do. They are supposed to add a baboon exhibit and using that path with the existing infrastructure where guests used to view Tigers back in the day would be a perfect spot for that so hopefully.

I've heard look to the right of Nitro's second hill and you can kind of see the Philadelphia skyline.

Philadelphia is 80 miles away from Six Flags. No, you can't. Not even on the clearest day.

Have you ridden Zumanjaro yet? I don't think so. My statement was coming from people who have ridden the ride and they said they could see the Philadelphia skyline even during the daytime. It's not even fair to say that until you have ridden the ride yourself.

Your statement is biased. Zumanjaro does actually have plenty of lights and from what I've seen leaving work at night time, the lighting around the station area of Zumanjaro is enough to light up over a third of the Ka tower and the blue light on Ka is also back this year. The quene line is also very well lit for Zumanjaro. The only area of GADV that isn't well lit is Kingda Ka's line and the path leading towards Ka. The rest of the park is pretty well lit. Look at all the Boardwalk rides (including Superman and Green Lantern) and Skyscreamer and the Ferris Wheel. To say that GADV doesn't believe in lightning is completely false. It could be much worse.

Your statement is biased. Zumanjaro does actually have plenty of lights and from what I've seen leaving work at night time, the lighting around the station area of Zumanjaro is enough to light up over a third of the Ka tower and the blue light on Ka is also back this year. The quene line is also very well lit for Zumanjaro. The only area of GADV that isn't well lit is Kingda Ka's line and the path leading towards Ka. The rest of the park is pretty well lit. Look at all the Boardwalk rides (including Superman and Green Lantern) and Skyscreamer and the Ferris Wheel. To say that GADV doesn't believe in lightning is completely false. It could be much worse.

The area you're describing is exactly where the new ride is going though. Golden Kingdom is incredibly dark... so dark that I can't believe it's in a theme park. I'm happy that the faint blue light is back on Ka but they've lit that tower multiple times before and it never lasted more than a season. Usually it only lasts a few weeks.