TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I heard a rumor on Greatadventurehistory.com that Zumanjaro is now open for season pass holders but no official word yet.

Nevermind this is not true. haha

Since both ride programs are rather new, I'm sure they can link then together on a common server to make them sunk when it makes sence to do so...

One big thing to remember is that Kingda Ka breaks down constantly. Anything that makes the systems of a ride that already goes down multiple times on an average day more complicated than they already are should be avoided at all costs.

From the sounds of things though it seems like it will operate independently. Ryan seems to be a great source for info like that.

The two ride programs are completely independent of each other. The only two rides I know of at GADV that basically shared a program was The Chiller where due to power constraints, both rides were basically blocked together so that the two sides were never in a launch area at the same time. This is not the case with Zumanjaro and Ka. The only way they will run together is if timing works in that favor.

Edited by El Toro_Ryan

Sounds good! I'm sure we will see some interesting things during next weekend...

Looking forward to going later this summer, and hopefully seeing Ryan rock out in all his glory! Your becoming quite the celebrity around here sir!

Haha thank you! Hopefully I'm not at Tango during your visit. NoLoops over at greatadventurehistory.com just posted this video of Ka and Zumanjaro running together. It's a little shaky but it seems that they figured out a method to have Ka and the gondolas drop at the same time. (Ka was absolutely flying over the tower to keep up haha)

Now Ryan will they be running Ka as such, or is that just for filming purposes/testing/fun? If so that could make the ride crazy, imagine Intamin airtime at 456 feet?

I don't believe so. As awesome as that would be, I think it was just for filming purposes today. It makes sense from a filming viewpoint cause the footage would suck to watch if the train was crawling over the top like it can some days.

Would be nice if they'd just scratch that brake up there...no reason for it, and it kills any of the airtime that Ka could've had.

Also, pretty sure that the mechanic team is able to overclock Ka's launch, like they did when TPR was there for the backstage tour. They sent a few trains over just like that video, but with some lucky members on it!

I've actually been away from TPR for a while now, but I keep posting photo trip reports of Great Adventure on gadv.com very often. My latest one was from June 21, which was pretty busy since it was the first day of summer, and Zumanjaro was only testing periodically during the day while Kingda Ka didn't open until a few hours after the park opened.

If you'd like to see my full report and photos from that day, you can click RIGHT HERE.

Would be nice if they'd just scratch that brake up there...no reason for it, and it kills any of the airtime that Ka could've had.

I agree. I would rather have those removed than getting lap bars. I've never tried the back but I imagine it must get almost no airtime while the front does get a bit on the way up.

Short report from yesterday:

After trying to find a riding partner all week to utilize the SP bring-a-friend-for-$9.99 special, I wound up going with my old friend Teri, a coaster fan who hasn't been to SFGAdv in a quite some time. She wasn't sure when she had last gone but she had done Medusa, Superman and Nitro but not El Toro, Kingda Ka, etc so we figured sometime around 2003/04.

We made it up to the park a little later than I would have liked to but we were in a short line for El Toro by 11:30am, about a 15 minute wait and did it again right away, another 15 min wait. Love this ride so much. Teri did too. I just wish I could sit on it all day long. Today it ate my sunglasses for breakfast. They were in my front pocket, which Ive done before, but this time when I pulled them out afterwards the lenses were both smashed to pieces. Oh well.

After our morning wake up session we bounced around and did a lot of things that we didn't have to wait for: Bizarro - station wait (crew was hustling!), Runaway Mine Train - walk on, Skyride - 5 minute wait, Skull Mountain - waited maybe 2 trains for back row, which I'd never done on this before and OMFG LOL. So great, totally underrated coaster. They had the death metal really CRANKED adding to the insanity of this one. We then went for Nitro, on which the line was out to the switchbacks but with all three trains running it was a 20 minute wait. I say it all the time, this thing is a people eater. Got to witness line jumpers being thrown out by security which was nice. Noticed security dudes line-watching on both Toro and Nitro throughout the day. Thank god they are finally doing something about this, the line jumping has been bad all season and no one ever says/does anything. As far as Nitro, we avoided Train C and had a blast in the back row, as expected.

After this we waited 20 minutes for Batman and waited an extra few for the front row as suggested by a few of you on here. Intense as hell but I got knocked in the temple a few times. This thing feels so much faster than it actually is. Line was even shorter upon exiting, and I almost went back but decided against it. Instead we made a quick pop out to the car for some packed lunch, then back in for another round of Nitro - another 20 minute wait, but with three trains running this line always moves.

Then I got a credit! I always joke about doing Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train and almost did last time I was at the park in early June but my bro-in-law scoffed at the size of the ride. Yesterday I finally went on. At 6'2 and without a child I was worried they may turn me away but they didn't! I totally did not even fit into the seat (in the back of course, Teri in front of me) and the op stapled me in. Good thing as I got some serious whip action on that first tiny drop. LMAO. We also did the Buckaneer upon Teri's insistence and it was fun. The ops had each side having a screaming match and everyone on board was hyped up and into it. Very fun.

We then decided we were getting fatigued so one more and done. We figured we'd go out with a bang so we waited for Toro for one final ride around 5pm. Line was to the entrance/sign but we only waited 30 minutes. This ride is worth every second of waiting. As we were in line we noticed a helicopter over the parking lot, and knowing of the potential commercial shoot, I guessed we'd see Zumanjaro and Ka running together, and sure enough there they both went. Everyone in line with us what buzzing about it, every other person had their phone out filming the coaster running and gondolas dropping simultaneously as the chopper flew around it. Pretty cool to witness. Teri got a video I'm trying to get her to send me so I can upload for you guys. As for Toro, we rode it in the magic seat all three times and as usual it felt insanely faster on our final ride late in the day.

It was really hot and sunny yesterday so we made many stops at the misting machines and were chugging water all day. Lines for the Log Flume and Rapids were really long so we didnt bother. Those misting machines come in handy. That and dumping fountain water all over me throughout the day. And chugging water. I didn't bring a camera so here are a few shots Teri got throughout the day. Overall a good day! With the 3 rides on Toro and 2 on Nitro how could it not be?

El Toro 3x

Nitro 2x

Bizarro 1x

Batman 1x

Skull Mountain 1x

Buckaneer 1x

Skyride 1x

Blackbeards 1x

Runaway Mine Train 1x

10351654_10201464109119584_4759814487574116783_n.jpg.243b99853a82b237919ec93270716c17.jpg

The last shot of my sunglasses before Toro's lapbar chewed them to pieces.

BB.jpg.249e8ef4ea2b5f90477fcc06eff57cdf.jpg

Blackbeard credit

likeitrough.jpg.925c0233e7ab3f4d09cef16babf88426.jpg

SF kicks people out for shirts that say "I Shoot Raw" (a photography reference) but then sell these. SMH.

toro.jpg.3f616822f4fea8227fc9475671819255.jpg

Obligatory Ka/Toro/Zumanjaro from Skyride shot.

Edited by boldikus

And here is that video Teri caught of the commercial shoot/rides running simultaneously. (sorry its shot vertically - I know, I know...)

KK was FLYING over that top hat! And gotta love Toro flying by at the same time!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Do you know if Ka could ever get T-bar restraints? Or is there something that is making it have the OTSR's?

I know the answer to this one, so I will answer. New Jersey has a law banning the T-bars, so they can't use them on Kingda Ka. El Toro doesn't have the either. This just seems like a weird law.

By the way, those videos of Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro running together makes me want to get out there as soon as it opens - the structure will probably shake a lot while the gondolas are waiting to drop. Also, the gondolas appear to be going faster than Kingda Ka when they fall! It's probably just due to deceleration of speed on Ka, though (Hasn't reached top speed on the descent until later)

Do you know if Ka could ever get T-bar restraints? Or is there something that is making it have the OTSR's?

I know the answer to this one, so I will answer. New Jersey has a law banning the T-bars, so they can't use them on Kingda Ka. El Toro doesn't have the either. This just seems like a weird law.

By the way, those videos of Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro running together makes me want to get out there as soon as it opens - the structure will probably shake a lot while the gondolas are waiting to drop. Also, the gondolas appear to be going faster than Kingda Ka when they fall! It's probably just due to deceleration of speed on Ka, though (Hasn't reached top speed on the descent until later)

I never knew that... how is this okay then? (I have no idea who the people are in this picture but they look like they love Nitro lol)

that's because NJ is a nanny state. they ban everything

I don't know if NJ has a law banning t-bars. I'm pretty sure Nitro's lapbars are considered t-bars as well. I know Massachusetts does since someone was ejected from SROS. I've heard GADV was responsible for the OTSRs on Ka as they chose them to boost capacity. OTSR are much more accommodating for all guests and almost no on gets kicked off Ka. People not fitting in the lapbars at El Toro is the soul reason for it's capacity issues.

Also the breaks at the top of Ka were implented into the design by Intamin. Ka is actually designed to over speed the top hat to try and prevent roll backs. That's why the breaks are there to control the descent. However, the ride doesn't actually run fast enough in my opinion to necessitate them on most days.

I never knew that... how is this okay then? (I have no idea who the people are in this picture but they look like they love Nitro lol)

The guy on the left is Cory - he posts over on Negative-G. The pic is from Paul Drabek's SFGAdv trip report.