TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

^Exactly. The GP can't tell if it is relocated or entirely new, so Six Flags can switch around their coasters to different parks and still count them as new. That is why they have a new attraction at every park every year. Cedar Fair is more invested in "quality over quantity", so their parks get brand new coasters, just less often.

^Exactly. The GP can't tell if it is relocated or entirely new, so Six Flags can switch around their coasters to different parks and still count them as new. That is why they have a new attraction at every park every year. Cedar Fair is more invested in "quality over quantity", so their parks get brand new coasters, just less often.

That's why I like Cedar Fair. They rarely relocate coasters. Would Cedar Fair give some love to Michigan's Adventure though?

Cedar Fair is probably not going to make a major investment in the ride side of Dorney Park. They tried that in the early to mid 2000's with Talon and Hydra and it didn't help them at all. The rides are not a major draw for them, their big draw is the waterpark which they're actively investing in.

I would expect them to make small investments in the park side and occasionally build a smaller coaster or a relocated coaster but I don't see them doing anything major over there.

Cedar Fair is probably not going to make a major investment in the ride side of Dorney Park. They tried that in the early to mid 2000's with Talon and Hydra and it didn't help them at all. The rides are not a major draw for them, their big draw is the waterpark which they're actively investing in.

I would expect them to make small investments in the park side and occasionally build a smaller coaster or a relocated coaster but I don't see them doing anything major over there.

If Dorney does not get a major addition to the dry side attendance will continue to dwindle until the park finally shuts down or is sold. They can't survive against the competition never adding anything new, and CF knows it. To say that Dorney will never get another new coaster is not only bullsh*t it's also extremely irritating to those who call it their home park.

If Dorney does not get a major addition to the dry side attendance will continue to dwindle until the park finally shuts down or is sold. They can't survive against the competition never adding anything new, and CF knows it. To say that Dorney will never get another new coaster is not only bullsh*t it's also extremely irritating to those who call it their home park.

I didn't say they wouldn't get a new coaster... I said I don't see them getting an expensive new coaster.

Technically its not a new coaster, but it is a new coaster for the park. That's all the GP cares about, only enthusiasts will know its an older coaster that was moved and re-themed. Every single person I've been to the park with this year (almost all non-enthusiasts) I had to explain this to. All of them thought of it as a new ride.

I didn't say they wouldn't get a new coaster... I said I don't see them getting an expensive new coaster.

What cheap transplanted coaster do you see them getting next? Another boomerang? Maybe another wild mouse or two? Bullsh*t. People DO ride the coasters at Dorney, another major investment will come, especially as the economy continues to improve.

Ok, I'm done derailing the thread, back on topic. Personally I do think SFGAdv will get a major new coaster in the next couple years, but I don't see it coming next year. 2017 at the absolute latest. And I bet it'll go in RT's old spot as that is the cheapest option and you can always count on SF to go with the cheapest option.

What cheap transplanted coaster do you see them getting next? Another boomerang? Maybe another wild mouse or two? Bullsh*t.

Instead of getting angry over a hobby that's supposed to be fun, why not let us know in the Dorney thread what expensive coaster you think they'll get and why you think it would be a good investment. I'm really curious.

As far as a coaster going in Rolling Thunder's old spot it's not a very big spot with the Zumanjaro queue and El Toro's finale. It's possible of course, but it's not as open of an area as I expected. I think Chiller's old spot is a much better location, especially since MovieTown needs something to bring the crowds in.

From what I've heard, I wouldn't keep your hopes too high for a new coaster next year. The park is supposed to get something new for next year but I'm not sure what exactly it is. Hopefully it's a screaming swing. A ride like that would definitely help balance the park out.

From what I've heard, I wouldn't keep your hopes too high for a new coaster next year. The park is supposed to get something new for next year but I'm not sure what exactly it is. Hopefully it's a screaming swing. A ride like that would definitely help balance the park out.

As nice as a Screamin' Swing would be, the costs are outrageous. You're going to pay over a million for the ride itself, and $500,000 a year in maintenance costs on top of that. Hence why a lot of them are uocharge. But on the flip side, I've ridden the 4 person per arm version at Morey's Piers and it was an incredible ride experience.

2015- New Coaster - Rumor - (6/2/14) After doing some serious thinking and chatting with a reader about the idea… I have to say that I do have some doubts about the possibility of a custom RMC wooden coaster coming to SFGAdv for 2015. This rumor has been in the pipe for well over a year now, and while I do believe that we will see an RMC creation in the park eventually, 2015 just may not be possible.

The main factor to consider is just how many rides can RMC actually design and construct in one season at this point in the company’s development? 2013 was the first time we saw 2 new rides launch from RMC in the same year, one of which was an I-Box transformation of an existing ride (Rattler into Iron Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas) along with the built from scratch Outlaw Run (Silver Dollar City). 2014’s work slate for RMC follows the same pattern… one I-Box transformation (Medusa at Six Flags Mexico) and one custom creation (Goliath at Six Flags Great America). Keep in mind that RMC also has a heavy load of other side work, as the company is heavily involved with off season maintenance, structure rebuilding efforts and re-tracking on a number of other wooden coasters throughout America as well.

Looking ahead to 2015 and 2016, IF the pattern continues, we should only expect to see 2 new RMC coasters each year as well. While 2015 is still technically wide open… the long standing rumor has been for SFMM to re-work Colossus for 2015, or maybe 2016. Kolmarden is on the books already to build Wildfire, a custom RMC, for the 2016 season (their first project in Europe). If the previous pattern stays, if SFGAdv doesn’t add one in 2015, they may have to wait until 2017.

Other factors are already starting to stack up against adding one to SFGAdv in 2015 as well. If my sources are correct, they claim that the park has yet to have or schedule a meeting with the Jackson planning board to discuss their plans and how any possible tree removal that may be necessary, which I’m told is always a sensitive subject with the township. For now we’ll just have to wait, watch and see what happens.

This was from Screamscape.