TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I caved and bought myself a season pass this year so I could hit up Great Adventure a couple times and possibly check out SFA again as well. Looking forward to getting my pass processed and a ride or two on El Toro! It's been too long since I was last there for roller coasters.

Doesn't look like Zumanjaro is going to be open for my visit in late May

According to a TR on another forum, the signage near Kingda Ka has changed from "closed until Memorial Day weekend" to "closed until late spring" - guessing this means we're looking at June now?

From what I can see on the social media front, the GP seem to be under the impression Zumanjaro will be open for Memorial Day.

Seems a bit strange to not let anyone know the opening is delayed - presuming of course it actually is? Compare that with Busch Gardens Tampa clearly stating that Falcon's Fury wasn't going to meet the media and preview events that had already been scheduled.

From what I can see on the social media front, the GP seem to be under the impression Zumanjaro will be open for Memorial Day.

Seems a bit strange to not let anyone know the opening is delayed - presuming of course it actually is? Compare that with Busch Gardens Tampa clearly stating that Falcon's Fury wasn't going to meet the media and preview events that had already been scheduled.

SFGAdv-homepage says it's 'set to debut in spring 2014' and nothing about Mamorial Day. Kingda-Ka however says 'Closed Until Memorial Day Weekend'.

Edited by Swede

why let the GP know the ride is not opening memorial day weekend. it will hurt attendance. and stock holders don't like that

Hiding the information isn't exactly going to win anyone over either though...

Doesn't really matter since a) they've already paid to get in and b) if it's that big of a deal to them, they'll come back to ride Ka plus the new ride they see being built. It's really just extra incentive to return.

Zumanjaro has been officially delayed....

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom Opening Scheduled for June

JACKSON, NJ – May 15, 2014 – Thrill-seekers eagerly anticipating the opening of this year’s most extreme new ride, Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom, will have to wait a few more weeks thanks to Mother Nature.

Zumanjaro was originally slated for a Memorial Day weekend opening, but the combination of high wind, snow and cold challenged construction at the top of the world's tallest and fastest drop ride.

“We battled through one of the harshest winters in history and high wind challenged the construction crew atop Zumanjaro’s massive towers this Spring,” said Six Flags Great Adventure President John Fitzgerald. “Our teams have done an incredible job staying very close to schedule despite Mother Nature’s wrath. It is even more amazing considering the dizzying heights of this project.”

Fitzgerald expects to announce an early June opening date for Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom in the coming weeks.

Connected to the iconic Kingda Ka roller coaster—the 45-story monster that ranks as the world’s tallest and fastest coaster—Zumanjaro will hoist riders 41 stories into the sky and rocket them back to Earth at speeds up to 90 miles per hour.

Three soaring Zumanjaro towers have been built on the face of the massive Kingda Ka coaster. Each drop tower features a gondola with eight riders. The gondolas rise to the top of the tower in approximately 30 seconds. Riders pause for a few terrifying moments, 415 feet in the air—even higher than London’s Big Ben and twice as high as the Statue of Liberty—allowing them to catch a glimpse of the skyscrapers in Philadelphia 52 miles to the south before gravity plunges them back to ground level in less than 10 seconds.

Six Flags Great Adventure and Safari is currently open weekends for the 2014 season, and will begin daily operation May 22. For more information, visit www.sixflags.com/greatadventure.

At least this one's not Intamin's fault. No big surprise here honestly, this winter was horrible.

Not the most horrific of delays considering, and at least it will be open for the summer season.

^Yeah, I'm sure the experience will be worth the extra wait. I get a good view of the ride from El Toro and it definitely was not ready yet. If I see it testing soon and I'm allowed to post about it, I'll let you guys know for sure if someone else doesn't get to it first. lol