TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Since Great Adventure is kind of in the middle of nowhere the park has always been very dark at night. I was never sure why there are so few lamps. It gets very dark by the Lakefront, Golden Kingdom, and Frontier Adventures. The areas of the park that are more well lit are still pretty dark by most standards. I personally think it adds a bit of charm to the park.

However, the areas of the park with lots of lights (The Boardwalk and Plaza Del' Carnival) are absolutely stunning at night. These areas don't have many lamps and are lit only by the lights on buildings or colorful string lights. It has the "Christmas tree" glow feel if that makes any sense. I would like to see more areas receive similar lighting packages.

Also, Kingda Ka used to have a spotlight that actually sat on a picnic table under the tower, however it was removed a few years back. The park is situated between a pretty busy airport and quite a few residential homes. Not the best spot for a giant spot light pointed at the sky.

On the topic of dead ends in the park, this has bothered me for years now. Almost everywhere you go in the park is a dead end. It's bad enough that most of the major attractions are on one half of the park while the other is almost completely abandoned (movietown), but now even the parts of the park that have lots of attractions are borderline impossible to navigate. If you don't know about the arcade shortcut, the walk to Bizarro is rough from the park entrance. Then people wonder why the line is so short. If the bridge from El Toro to Bizarro was still closed off, I honestly believe that most first time guests would never find the ride. The Old Country dead end is another nail bitter.

Its a shame because with everything reopened, Great Adventure is one of the most fluid and easy to navigate parks.

Flash Pass shouldn't be needed. Crowds are usually low until mid June during the week. There are class trips but not many other guests there, you could always get a Flash Pass at the park if it is more crowded than expected.

Flash Pass shouldn't be needed. Crowds are usually low until mid June during the week. There are class trips but not many other guests there, you could always get a Flash Pass at the park if it is more crowded than expected.

To add to this comment, if you don't get a Flash Pass BE PATIENT. Many schools trips end by 3PM, so it is much less crowded later in the day. So you should have time to ride everything.

Just reading back through this thread as I hype myself up for opening day next weekend and noticed so many folks rate Batman as one of their top coasters at the park after Nitro, Toro, and KK. Am I alone in thinking Batman is a really rough ride and that Bizarro is undoubtedly better? Everyone seems to hate on it and I don't understand why. Its my fave at the park after Toro and Nitro. Great layout, smooth yet moderately forceful with some great inversions and elements. Just curious why some folks don't rate it very highly. Also Batman seems like a very short ride compared to Bizarro, maybe thats just my imagination.

^I really like Bizarro. Just like you said, it is smooth, reasonably intense, has a nice set of inversions and has a decent length. However I did find Batman completely smooth when I rode it: not one bit of headbanging. And even though it is shorter than Bizarro, its intensity makes up for that (but that's just me)

Batman is one of the smoothest looping coasters I've ever ridden. How anyone can consider this ride rough but have an SLC as their avatar is beyond me.

Bizarro is a good ride, I always ride it when i go to the park and I like it... but it's not even on the same level as Batman which I find smoother (not that Bizarro is rough) and much more intense. I find Bizarro to be a very mediocre floorless coaster. It's better than Hydra, on the same level as Scream! and not quite as good as Dominator or Batman the Dark Knight (I know I rank this higher than a lot of people but it's actually moderately forceful for a 21st century B&M and has the best zero g roll on any coaster I've ridden not named Kumba).

Batman is one of the smoothest looping coasters I've ever ridden. How anyone can consider this ride rough but have an SLC as their avatar is beyond me.

LOL. Yeah, The Great Noreaster is a notoriously rough ride, yet remains one of my all time fave coasters as its my very first SLC/inverted coaster, its practically in my folks back yard, next to the ocean, and the ride has improved considerably with the new Freedom Trains they installed a few years ago. Ive ridden it hundreds of times since it opened. I'd say it rides much smoother than BM @ SFGAdv.

^Nor Easter is a great ride! I love everything about it. As for Bizarro being better than Batman, I agree. Batman being short and intense is great and the layout is perfect but Bizarro, especially in the front seat is just a better ride. After El Toro, Kingda Ka, and Nitro the rest of the coasters in the park all seem "meh".

My faves are Nitro, Toro and Bizarro, in that order. After that I guess Kingda Ka but I can't help but feel like its a one trick pony. I would rather wait for the other three than KK. Have yet to ride Green Lantern or Ultimate Flight so don't have an opinion of them but hope to change that on the 12th. I got banged up pretty good on BM:TR last time I was there last yr. They actually asked if we wanted to stay on as there was no line and we chose to go for Nitro again instead.

I find myself to be one of the few enthusiasts that doesn't like Batman. Personally I find the ride too intense to enjoy because I always walk off it in some kind of pain. I'm not a huge fan of inverts in general but Great Nor Easter is a much better ride imo. It creates a more out of control feeling rather than forceful like Batman and with the new trains I don't walk off the ride in pain.

As for Bizarro being better than Batman I completely agree there but I'm gonna throw in Superman and give it some love as the best coaster after the big 3. I know it's the shortest ride with the least elements but no inversion beats the feeling of the pretzel loop to me which is really the point of riding it.

I'm gonna throw in Superman and give it some love as the best coaster after the big 3. I know it's the shortest ride with the least elements but no inversion beats the feeling of the pretzel loop to me which is really the point of riding it.
This is exactly why I want to ride it. We tried last summer but were told the wait was 2 hours and we didnt have the time. Seems its always got a long line from what Ive heard/read. I have yet to ride any flying coaster and to me it seems to be a very uncomfortable position to be while riding but again I can't say that from experience. However, I can only imagine the force of going through that loop in that position, looks like it feels incredibly intense.

nice

So I've seen several animations where KingDa Ka is operating at the same time as Drop and somehow the descent of Zumanjaro drop is timed to when the coaster goes over the top of the track. What are the chances they operate simultaneously like that?

And would it be cool, or do you think there's a possibility, that Cedar Point might do something similar in the future to TTD?

So I've seen several animations where KingDa Ka is operating at the same time as Drop and somehow the descent of Zumanjaro drop is timed to when the coaster goes over the top of the track. What are the chances they operate simultaneously like that?

My guess is that it will happen but not deliberately. If it happens it will just be due to some lucky timing.

And would it be cool, or do you think there's a possibility, that Cedar Point might do something similar in the future to TTD?

Since Cedar Point has Power Tower, I'd say there is absolutely no chance of this ever happening there. I just don't see what the point would be. It would make Power Tower completely obsolete.

Since Cedar Point has Power Tower, I'd say there is absolutely no chance of this ever happening there. I just don't see what the point would be. It would make Power Tower completely obsolete.

And they couldn't even break the record for tallest drop tower

And they couldn't even break the record for tallest drop tower

They could just get a really good "medium size" drop tower like the 150' one at Knoebels (built by ARM?) Now that's a scary ride! But I know... people need numbers...

^ not to mention that Cedar fair has been kinda anti intamin lately. I'd love for it to happen, but it doesn't seem likely at all.

That's probably true, but likely due to downtime. Intamin coasters are generally more cutting edge/use new technology. Tall drop towers aren't new technology (other than potentially a faster ascent on Zumanjaro), just taller.

^^I wasn't saying that I'd only be pleased if they went for the record, but for most people, having a medium sized drop tower wouldn't sound very appealing. That's why I think they won't do it. Unless they attached it to the back of TTD's tophat and somehow extended the drop tower itself beyond TTD's structure. (but that sounds unlikely)