TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Late approval, Waiting on construction pieces, Indecisive management *cough* Six Flags *cough* There's a number of reasons something doesn't show up on the map but happens to be in the park. Furthermore, it is a path not a ride or shop. If they wanted to open it half way through the season just for the hell of it they could because they run the park, we don't.

^Fair enough, I certainly can't say that's impossible. My main point is don't get your hopes up. They've had the entire off-season to fix this, and if it hasn't been fixed by now, I'd say they probably have no intention of fixing it this year. I don't believe changing the layout of the park is something that typically happens during the season, I mean it's not like it's a matter of moving a couple fences. Can anyone name a time when that happened? I would assume the decisions regarding the changes to that area have already been made, and the map would reflect those decisions. But again, I hope I'm wrong. This is Six Flags we're talking about.

It certainly doesn't seem possible that they could leave it the way it is with the addition of Zumanjaro. I can't see that bizarre bottleneck next to the top spin servicing not one, but two major attractions.

Why was that path ever closed? The last time I was at GADV was 2007, so I'm not up to date on everything, but it just seems like a really weird move to close that path?

I'm guessing it's just a cost cutting measure. Now they have less rides (if you count play structures), animal areas and booths to staff.

Seriously. I can see getting rid of attractions to save money, but closing the entire path because what, you're too lazy to actually remove the stuff and not make the area look like a desolate wasteland? It's just one of those weird, stupid things you'd only ever see at a Six Flags park. The only other thing I can think of is maybe they're using the area for storage or other behind-the-scenes stuff.

Edited by Dr. M

On a somewhat related note, is The Chiller station still abandoned? And do they use it for haunted houses or anything?

The Chiller's station is used as a back stage area on the inside. The line and empty area behind it are used during fright fest for the Asylum trail. Besides fright fest, that whole area is fenced off. They used "The Observatory" for 'The Exploratorium' a few years ago. When that was pulled out they used the building for the Zambora Fright Fest show. The past few years however The Observatory building has been vacant.

The Chiller buildings have kind of been in limbo in an area also stuck in limbo. The Chiller station is a very spacious building so it's fate will be interesting.

Seriously. I can see getting rid of attractions to save money, but closing the entire path because what, you're too lazy to actually remove the stuff and not make the area look like a desolate wasteland? It's just one of those weird, stupid things you'd only ever see at a Six Flags park. The only other thing I can think of is maybe they're using the area for storage or other behind-the-scenes stuff.

Maybe they are trying to make lazy enthusiasts healthier by making them walk more.

Remember a couple of years ago when they had the bridge between El Toro and Medusa (now Bizarro) closed off?

It's definitely a pain if they don't have the pathway between El Toro and Ka opened, but by making guests walk all the way over to Boardwalk to get between the two rides means walking right past all the games, food stands, and upcharges. We see it as a pain, they see it as a way to make $$$.

Another note, it looks like on that map they make no indication that the area between Boardwalk and Plaza del Carnival is actually Golden Kingdom. Though I'm sure they'll still have the big sign saying 'GOLDEN KINGDOM' before you hit that little stretch, they don't seem like they're going to acknowledge it's part of the same area next door that you can't actually get to.

Another note, it looks like on that map they make no indication that the area between Boardwalk and Plaza del Carnival is actually Golden Kingdom. Though I'm sure they'll still have the big sign saying 'GOLDEN KINGDOM' before you hit that little stretch, they don't seem like they're going to acknowledge it's part of the same area next door that you can't actually get to.

According to the legend, they still have the venues in that area listed under Golden Kingdom. While the paths in that area aren't shaded to distinguish the difference between Plaza del Carnival, neither is Movietown or Adventure Alley.

Remember a couple of years ago when they had the bridge between El Toro and Medusa (now Bizarro) closed off?

It's definitely a pain if they don't have the pathway between El Toro and Ka opened, but by making guests walk all the way over to Boardwalk to get between the two rides means walking right past all the games, food stands, and upcharges. We see it as a pain, they see it as a way to make $$$.

Good point! It makes more sense from a profit point of view.

I could not agree more!

I actually kinda like it the way it is. Would the path make it easier, of course but I'm weird and I like that Ka is back there all by its self sorta like its in own contained area. Also I like walking through the boardwalk area at night when all of the lights are on. I have always said they just need some more rides back there.

Also I like walking through the boardwalk area at night when all of the lights are on. I have always said they just need some more rides back there.

It makes a nice contrast to the Golden Kingdom where there are no lights at all. It's so dark back there and in the Kingda Ka queue that I almost feel like it's unsafe. If someone trips and falls I could easily see them filing a lawsuit against the park and for once I'd almost agree with them for doing it.

The only light in the main Kingda Ka queue comes from a light in the parking lot hundreds of feet away which really doesn't do much of anything and from the moon if it happens to be out that night. This is the darkest guest area in any theme park I've ever visited.

Photo from Great Adventure History

I agree.

However, Great Adventure has had a habit of closing off many convenient pathways for some time now. They blocked the path between the carousel and circus tent shops through various methods over the years as a way to funnel people into the boardwalk games area (first it was a planter, then the 'jumping jack flash' flat ride installed in 1999, and now its I believe a paintball booth). The bridge between El Toro and Bizarro has been blocked a few times over the years either be it the Viper/El Toro transition, wood replacement, or just flat out closed off. After tearing down Chiller, Freefall, and Pendulum they shut down that ENTIRE zone and after a couple years eventually moved the 3 remaining flats there into "Adventure Alley". And lastly, the path connecting Ka and El Toro was closed when they closed down the Tiger exhibit and removed the kiddie ride zone.

So from the park's business perspective, there's no point in having guests walk down barren pathways with nothing but the remnants of former attractions on them not only because it isn't a good look for the park to have guests to see those dilapidated attractions, but it doesn't earn them any business. Funnel the guests to where they are constantly bombarded with shops, food, and places to spend money. Inconvenient? Sure. But I'm sure those closed off areas will be re-developed in the future once management figures out a respective plan for each.

Also I like walking through the boardwalk area at night when all of the lights are on. I have always said they just need some more rides back there.

It makes a nice contrast to the Golden Kingdom where there are no lights at all. It's so dark back there and in the Kingda Ka queue that I almost feel like it's unsafe. If someone trips and falls I could easily see them filing a lawsuit against the park and for once I'd almost agree with them for doing it.

The only light in the main Kingda Ka queue comes from a light in the parking lot hundreds of feet away which really doesn't do much of anything and from the moon if it happens to be out that night. This is the darkest guest area in any theme park I've ever visited.

Photo from Great Adventure History

I agree!!!!! That area is dark and I already feel unsafe there with the people that go there so back there would be a frenzy for things to happen.