TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I only went on SORA once. The line was completely full and it was an hour and a half wait. I think it's a great addition, but it could have had a better execution.

I think the popularity even surprised the park. The park did spend a lot of money to change the safari. The truck alone probably cost upwards of $100,000 apiece, so that was $2 million just for the vehicles.

Wait...so they're not connecting the areas? That's a serious flaw if they refuse to open the old path or to build a new one. I mean, Golden Kingdom is already split in two - now they're building even farther out without any sort of connection? Bad move, if that's what they stick with.

Yeah, I don't really complain about parks but that's an awful decision to leave them like that. They could at least make a gravel path or something between the two areas.

Looking forward to seeing this bad boy continue to get built. I'm not sure which new drop tower ride will freak me out more - this or Falcon's Fury at BGT. I think it would be kinda crazy to be on the far end of this one as a Kingda Ka train zooms past! I love drop towers but they are the one ride that can still make my pulse quicken quite a bit! Don't know when I'll return to SFGAdv, but when I do, I will be psyched to ride Zumanjaro.

As for the drop tower pieces being orange, I don't really see what the problem is with that. It stands out, and with a ride like this, why wouldn't a park want a bright color to draw attention to the ride?

Speaking of SORA, I've never driven through the safari or SORA. I've heard it is almost infamous for nearly 3 hour lines. Why is it so popular, and so much more so than the safari was? Did the transformation make it so much better, along with the trucks, that it is sometimes more popular than every coaster? I don't have much knowledge of what was done in 2013 to SORA, and I'm curious.

I would guess that people always used to just drive past the safari and hurry on to the park, rather than stay in their car for another hour after already driving a long way to get there. Now that it's just like another ride, people are like, "Ooh! A line to stand in! Let's go get in it!" Even though before, you could stay in your nice air-conditioned car the whole time, and now you get to bake in the sun in line, and then bake in the sun some more on the ride. Moral of the story: People are dumb.

I'm not sure where you assessment of people are dumb comes from based on SORA. While I agree people are dumb, but I don't think that has anything to do with their desire to experience SORA. Throughout the 70's and 80's many patrons were not as self absorbed and in love with their cars, so hey didn't mind driving down a dusty road encountering animals. It has been known for years that many people were unwilling to drive their "nice" cars into the safari and attendance dropped. SGFAdv even tried selling upcharge bus trips a few years ago.

In recent years the park has been focusing on families and SORA provides an experience for the whole family to experience together. I have seen many large family groups (ten or more people) queue up to ride together, that's what makes the ride popular. I think they have about 18 trucks (I could be wrong) and if each truck only holds 24 people and the round trip take an hour you are also looking at a low capacity ride.

While the shading in the queue is not ideal, I did not find myself baking during the ride. It's a covered vehicle and the are you drive through is shaded in many places. It think most times my driver stopped, we were under a tree for shade, whether the driver knew this is not I'm not certain. And speaking of the tour guides, I found mine quite amusing and informative. The tour guides offer insight that would not not get driving through in your own car so that is a clear improvement over the safari.

Just my opinion here, if I want to go to the zoo, I'll go to the zoo. I thought the drive-through safari was at least a unique experience that made you really feel like you were exploring the wilderness, and that you didn't have to wait in line for. I'll probably never do SORA because that's not what I go to the park for. If it's really that good a ride, then fine, people aren't stupid, but it would have to be really, really good to justify spending 20% of your day or more waiting in line for it.

It wouldn't surprise me if most families didn't know what they were getting into when they got in line for it, just because of how that area is laid out. I would be curious what the customer satisfaction rate is on that ride, when the wait is taken into consideration. Long lines are one thing, lines that move an inch every ten minutes are really something else, mentally speaking.

Edited by Dr. M

^ You could get a Flash Pass or get there before they open and go right to it to ride it as your first ride of the day. Also this is probably the best time to ride because mid day and afternoon most animals are sleeping. Then the line won't be long or even 20% of your day. Also you could go to the park during the week while school is in session still. Lines are not as long during this period.

That ride is not and was not an experience like out in the wilderness. Its a giant field (mostly) with animals that roam around. Granted, I have not ridden the ride since it started operating from within the park but before it looked nothing like the animals natural environments. Go to Africa and go on a real African safari - completely different experience.

Why would they not know what they are getting into when getting in line? This ride was heavily advertised. The name of the ride tells you exactly what it is. Keep in mind its still relatively new as well and that may be why the line is longer. On top of that its a ride that everyone in the family can ride together since it has no height limit as long as an adult rides. I am sure the line moves more than an inch every 10 minutes - that sounds like an exaggeration.

Its okay if that is not why you go to a park. Just because you do not like something does not you mean you have to bash it. There are different rides and experiences for that reason. Amusement parks know that there are different people with different taste.

^ You could get a Flash Pass or get there before they open and go right to it to ride it as your first ride of the day. Also this is probably the best time to ride because mid day and afternoon most animals are sleeping. Then the line won't be long or even 20% of your day. Also you could go to the park during the week while school is in session still. Lines are not as long during this period.

A) I know. B) Not everybody has the luxury of being able to visit parks during the week.

That ride is not and was not an experience like out in the wilderness. Its a giant field (mostly) with animals that roam around. Granted, I have not ridden the ride since it started operating from within the park but before it looked nothing like the animals natural environments. Go to Africa and go on a real African safari - completely different experience.

Haha, I wasn't saying it's anything more like being on an African safari than going on the Haunted Mansion in Disney World is like being in a real haunted house. My point was seeing the animals roaming freely around your car was, for me, a more immersive experience than going to the zoo and seeing them all behind glass.

Why would they not know what they are getting into when getting in line? This ride was heavily advertised. The name of the ride tells you exactly what it is. Keep in mind its still relatively new as well and that may be why the line is longer. On top of that its a ride that everyone in the family can ride together since it has no height limit as long as an adult rides. I am sure the line moves more than an inch every 10 minutes - that sounds like an exaggeration.

What I meant was it wouldn't surprise me if people didn't know just how long the line was or how slowly it moved.

Its okay if that is not why you go to a park. Just because you do not like something does not you mean you have to bash it. There are different rides and experiences for that reason. Amusement parks know that there are different people with different taste.

All I'm saying is I liked it better as a drive-through attraction. Relax. Everybody is allowed to have an opinion and express it, and that's all I'm doing.

Upon further inspection of the map, it looks like Golden Kingdom will be connected again through the old Safari DIscoveries area.

By the looks of it Rolling Thunder will be replaced with absolutely nothing for now except for the path and the gorilla exhibit will be where Safari Discoveries was. I guess now the big question is will that be opening with the park or will they just take the lazy route out and close the Golden Kingdom completely (except for the former Frontier Adventures part) until Zumanjaro and Kingda Ka open. They might as well...

If the Gorilla exhibit is open all of the time (Safari Discoveries was only open during the daytime hours) then technically Golden Kingdom will be connected. It looks like an airbrush T shirt place will be opening up in the Safari Discoveries area so maybe that will always be open now (though there's a theater in the middle of it).

Edit: Northern Star arena is now Plymouth Rock Assurance Arena because Six Flags sucks like that.

Wait...so they're not connecting the areas? That's a serious flaw if they refuse to open the old path or to build a new one. I mean, Golden Kingdom is already split in two - now they're building even farther out without any sort of connection? Bad move, if that's what they stick with.

Yeah, I don't really complain about parks but that's an awful decision to leave them like that. They could at least make a gravel path or something between the two areas.

Does somebody have pictures or could outline/diagram this in Google Maps or something? Because I have never visited the park and have always heard this complaint pop up every now and then, but when I look at Google Maps, I'm not getting a clear image of what everyone is complaining about.

Sure...

215892099_ScreenShot2014-03-25at5_22_46PM.jpg.112975dffca064c5bf25d76bd7c091d3.jpg

This entire thing is closed now so to get from El Toro to Kingda Ka you have to walk through "Golden Kingdom" then through the boardwalk over by the Top Spin and then back into "Golden Kingdom" past where the turtles used to be, past the water play structures and over to Kingda Ka.

So the rides included in there are sitting idle as well? What for?

Most have been moved. The elephant ride moved to Adventure Alley. The ladybugs and kiddie scrambler moved to Safari Kids. The train is supposed to be rebuilt in Looney Tunes Seaport. The kiddie swings probably weren't reinstalled because there is another kiddie swing ride in the Seaport and the only other thing there was the play structures.

My point was seeing the animals roaming freely around your car was, for me, a more immersive experience than going to the zoo and seeing them all behind glass.

Technically you're still seeing the animals behind glass in your car. The off road vehicles look like they're more open and they stray from the main pathways so you're allowed to get closer to the animals now than you were before.

I'd like to see the park build a ride similar to KD/KI's monorail. It should provide a break from the lines for Off Road at least - and have higher capacity. Have it stop inside the Discovery camp and loop around the safari around the old driving route.

It really wouldn't surprise me if they close the gate at the Golden Kingdom entrance in the Boardwalk and keep that section of the park closed until Ka and Zoomanjaro opens and not even bother with the old path that ran over to El Toro. From looking at the map, I really can't see if that path is shown as there are just so many buildings in that area. I guess is could be possible since it looks like the baboons are tucked a little farther back from the midway.

Wasn't the reason why they closed it in the first place because of Rolling Thunder or is that just a myth?

Lastly, I wonder if that building near Zoomanjaro's entrance is going to exist and if so, could it be something besides lockers?

EDIT: Same here Dan. I haven't even ventured on to SORA last year as I didn't feel like waiting in line for it in the rain for one of the days I was there and didn't feel like waiting in the hot sun. With Ka being closed, I'll see about venturing over and put in the time for it in a few weeks.

I think the path in between Golden Kingdom and Plaza Del Carnaval will open this season for many reasons. Anyone remember when the Tigers were inside Temple of the Tiger (Safari Discovers) and guests would gather along the defunct path in front of the glass? I think this is where the baboon viewing area will be similar to the chimpanzee exhibit at BGA. The park has a lot of baboons and I doubt they would add two or three to the park as an attraction. I'm not sure how much space these animals need but it would be a lot more entertaining if the entire inside part of Safari Discoveries was transformed into a play area for the baboons. This would make Seafari Theater it's own attraction using the Temple of the Tiger stadium. Also, there are rumors that Balins Jungleland will return this season which is along the path and across from the old tiger viewing area. Although the rides aren't there anymore besides the kiddie swings , the play structure, which is better than nothing is.

It really wouldn't surprise me if they close the gate at the Golden Kingdom entrance in the Boardwalk and keep that section of the park closed until Ka and Zoomanjaro opens and not even bother with the old path that ran over to El Toro. From looking at the map, I really can't see if that path is shown as there are just so many buildings in that area. I guess is could be possible since it looks like the baboons are tucked a little farther back from the midway.

Comparing the new map with the one from last year (using the mobile app which still hasn't been updated), it seriously doesn't look to me like anything has changed regarding the path between the two Golden Kingdoms. But it's so hard to tell from looking at the map. One thing is for sure, the map is just extremely poor all around. Usually park maps will exaggerate the size of major pathways for ease of navigation, and you'd think the shortest route between their two biggest roller coasters would constitute a major pathway. Just looking at the new map, with no preconceptions, the area around the baboon exhibit clearly looks like a dead end, there is no path visible there at all, so I suspect it will be a dead end until the park opens and I'm (happily) proven wrong.

gallery_2_25_1704810.jpg.7e60dcaf7b8011ac037991cadadbb671.jpg

Do you see a path? I don't see a path, I see two dead ends separated by an amphitheater. Why would they draw it that way if there was a path?

Six_Flags_Great_Adventure_map.png.9908c030d713bfdaf7dd2efcf5b86660.png

See how it used to look? Clearly there is a nice big path there. That's how it would look if they fixed the problem. Seems obvious to me they haven't. Surprise! Not.