TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I say Gradv brings mega-lite to the U.S. Come on, it's tried and true and the GP has no idea it's a clone

The GP does not care about clones (unless they are YouTube GP.) Case in point - Boomerangs and SLCs. Of course, said YouTube GP will go one step further and call it a clone of I305. The GP also will think that a non-looping small coaster with no unique tricks is a kiddie coaster. It's sad, really.

I say Gradv brings mega-lite to the U.S. Come on, it's tried and true and the GP has no idea it's a clone

The GP does not care about clones (unless they are YouTube GP.) Case in point - Boomerangs and SLCs. Of course, said YouTube GP will go one step further and call it a clone of I305. The GP also will think that a non-looping small coaster with no unique tricks is a kiddie coaster. It's sad, really.

Most Youtube GP think any coaster is a kiddie coaster unless it has "more loops."

Or, "This ride isn't scary at all and I'm 9."

Most Youtube GP think any coaster is a kiddie coaster unless it has "more loops."

I know right, the comments are hilarious. I let one youtuber have it when he claimed X2 was a copy of Gatekeeper

I know right, the comments are hilarious. I let one youtuber have it when he claimed X2 was a copy of Gatekeeper

I can't stand the Dragster/Kingda Ka debates, as well as any other "copying" arguments. Once I found out this was fake, IntelligentSFMMFanboy was very entertaining.

In other news, Six Flags Great Adventure has been sending out a survey about possible new attractions under consideration this week, and wouldn’t you know it, but one of the ideas pitched is “Worlds tallest drop tower”, a 400+ foot free fall experience. They don’t mention that it will be attached to the Kingda Ka tower, but it sure fits the bill. Anothr interesting idea pitched in the survey include an Animal Safari excursion tour that leave from the theme park and take you on a guided off-road tour into the wilderness. They also talk about “Bumper Kart Racing”, a “3D Interactive Space Adventure Coaster”, “World’s Biggest Interactive Fun House” and “Hyper Fast Steel Coaster”. The later idea mentions a 70mph coaster experience that will rip through a track over a mile long, going from Golden Kingdom through Plaza Del Carnaval and over to Frontier Adventures and back again.

Found this earlier in the thread. Seems pretty accurate seeing as though 2 of the 6 attractions mentioned are at/coming to the park. Must be the 5 year plan. Here's my predictions using this information.

Bumper Kart Racing: One of the flats that will finally open Old Country back up. The Autobahn ride that used to be at the park has a permanent structure in Old Country and it would make a lot of sense to put the ride here. I doubt the park would change their current bumper cars ride program. I see this happening in 2015.

Biggest Interactive Fun House: Not to sure with this one. My guess is this is the rumored Balins Jungleland renovation. I know they removed the play structure that used to be there so it's now a pretty big open plot of land. This would be a great addition for kids similar to Seaports Foam house. I see this happening in 2016.

3D Interactive Space Coaster: This one has me completely stumped. The way it's worded makes it seem like it'll be indoors but the park already has two indoor coasters so I doubt that. Another possibility is SF loose definition of "coaster" and it's actually an interactive dark ride which would be awesome for the park. I see this going in Chillers old footprint anchoring next years opening of Old Country. Anyone have any idea what kind of "coaster" this could possibly be?!

Hyper Fast Steel Coaster: The coaster we've all been waiting for. Sounds a little like Maverick at CP or even Full Throttle at SFMM which is the only coaster type I see the park getting. Based on the location this will be Rolling Thunders replacement. What really excites me is the length and speed. I think this will start to expand the park toward the Safari/Baboon area. My guess on manufacturer is either Intamin, Mack, or Premier. I dont see this until 2017.

This is just my guess on what these attractions could be and where they'd go. Nothing is written in stone and if this is actually the 5 year plan a lot could have changed from 2011 to now.

^That's a good observation and I like the ideas. I wonder how often parks stick to their 5 year plans. Curious how long RT's been on the chopping block, or if this was just a quick idea that developed to remove it now. Speaking of, I heard a few months back that each SF park was asked to choose 1 coaster to rotate/scrap if they needed to, and Great Adventure chose RT. Wonder what the other parks chose!

I don't know if you all have seen these, but there is a series of videos on Youtube about the introduction of Gatekeeper at CP, complete with interviews of Rob Decker and John Hildebrandt. It's quite interesting, if you're into behind the scenes kinda stuff. I wish Great Adventure would do something like this, I'd be curious to see what SFGadv management is thinking behind what we see in year to year decisions.

I don't know where this idea came from that a park can't have two awesome wooden coasters. It's really bizarre. Steel? Sure, we've already got like six of those and they're all awesome, but please build another. A woodie? Naw we got El Toro we're good.

I don't know where this idea came from that a park can't have two awesome wooden coasters. It's really bizarre. Steel? Sure, we've already got like six of those and they're all awesome, but please build another. A woodie? Naw we got El Toro we're good.

I agree, look at Holiday Park!

^That's a good observation and I like the ideas. I wonder how often parks stick to their 5 year plans. Curious how long RT's been on the chopping block, or if this was just a quick idea that developed to remove it now. Speaking of, I heard a few months back that each SF park was asked to choose 1 coaster to rotate/scrap if they needed to, and Great Adventure chose RT. Wonder what the other parks chose!

I don't know if you all have seen these, but there is a series of videos on Youtube about the introduction of Gatekeeper at CP, complete with interviews of Rob Decker and John Hildebrandt. It's quite interesting, if you're into behind the scenes kinda stuff. I wish Great Adventure would do something like this, I'd be curious to see what SFGadv management is thinking behind what we see in year to year decisions.

Most Parks' 5 or 10 Year Plans are more like Guidelines. Sometimes they happen as planned and other times they don't. Lagoon has always pretty much stuck to their 5 Year Plans. The last one they released in 2005 included a New Thrill Coaster (Wicked - 2007), Family Coaster (BomBora - Originally 2010), Water Ride (OdySea - 2008), and an Interactive Dark Ride that never happened, although the Two Existing Dark Rides got a Refresh several years ago.

In other news, Six Flags Great Adventure has been sending out a survey about possible new attractions under consideration this week, and wouldn’t you know it, but one of the ideas pitched is “Worlds tallest drop tower”, a 400+ foot free fall experience. They don’t mention that it will be attached to the Kingda Ka tower, but it sure fits the bill. Anothr interesting idea pitched in the survey include an Animal Safari excursion tour that leave from the theme park and take you on a guided off-road tour into the wilderness. They also talk about “Bumper Kart Racing”, a “3D Interactive Space Adventure Coaster”, “World’s Biggest Interactive Fun House” and “Hyper Fast Steel Coaster”. The later idea mentions a 70mph coaster experience that will rip through a track over a mile long, going from Golden Kingdom through Plaza Del Carnaval and over to Frontier Adventures and back again.

Found this earlier in the thread. Seems pretty accurate seeing as though 2 of the 6 attractions mentioned are at/coming to the park. Must be the 5 year plan. Here's my predictions using this information.

Bumper Kart Racing: One of the flats that will finally open Old Country back up. The Autobahn ride that used to be at the park has a permanent structure in Old Country and it would make a lot of sense to put the ride here. I doubt the park would change their current bumper cars ride program. I see this happening in 2015.

Biggest Interactive Fun House: Not to sure with this one. My guess is this is the rumored Balins Jungleland renovation. I know they removed the play structure that used to be there so it's now a pretty big open plot of land. This would be a great addition for kids similar to Seaports Foam house. I see this happening in 2016.

3D Interactive Space Coaster: This one has me completely stumped. The way it's worded makes it seem like it'll be indoors but the park already has two indoor coasters so I doubt that. Another possibility is SF loose definition of "coaster" and it's actually an interactive dark ride which would be awesome for the park. I see this going in Chillers old footprint anchoring next years opening of Old Country. Anyone have any idea what kind of "coaster" this could possibly be?!

Hyper Fast Steel Coaster: The coaster we've all been waiting for. Sounds a little like Maverick at CP or even YOLOcoaster at SFMM which is the only coaster type I see the park getting. Based on the location this will be Rolling Thunders replacement. What really excites me is the length and speed. I think this will start to expand the park toward the Safari/Baboon area. My guess on manufacturer is either Intamin, Mack, or Premier. I dont see this until 2017.

This is just my guess on what these attractions could be and where they'd go. Nothing is written in stone and if this is actually the 5 year plan a lot could have changed from 2011 to now.

I was just looking back at this- a couple observations to consider:

The first thing that popped out at me, as probably most of us, is the "hyper fast steel coaster." Are they using hyper in terms of height, as in 200+ feet, or speed, as in, well, fast? We all know what a hyper coaster is, but this doesn't sound like that, it is a very loose description. "Hyper" simply means "above," so it could be referring to height or speed. Seems like someone in the PR department was trying to keep all possibilities aside.

Secondly, the bumper kart racing. Already having bumper CARS and go KARTS, not exactly sure what this is. Every one of these options was written strangely, "Biggest Interactive Fun House"? Biggest of where? It just seems like the person who wrote these either was given guidelines to write about and was confused, or was trying to keep these terms very loose, as to not let out any "Top Secret" plans. Very interesting. Anyway, that's my $.02. What do you all think?

haha too true. I also heard as part of one of their survey posts about them attaching a water park to the park. Which doesn't make too much sense to me since Hurricane Harbor is just there. Of course, it is separate admission, which I don't like. I feel like it doesn't get that much attention with that huge amusement park right next to it. Theres no way to connect them together, since they're too far apart.

haha too true. I also heard as part of one of their survey posts about them attaching a water park to the park. Which doesn't make too much sense to me since Hurricane Harbor is just there. Of course, it is separate admission, which I don't like. I feel like it doesn't get that much attention with that huge amusement park right next to it. Theres no way to connect them together, since they're too far apart.

Run a tram between the two, up the price of admission and include the waterpark should you choose to take the shuttle over there?

Just because the y could do it doesn't mean they should. If both parks are successful, why combine them?

Disney and universal all have two (or more) amusement parks right next to each other but no one is calling them to be combined into one mega park, so why should GAdv combine them?