TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

^^ While I would love to see an RMC woodie at the park it isn't logical. We have El Toro and that wouldn't make sense to have another huge woodie. A giga would make sense because it is something that the US has only one of. It will attract so many visitors to the park. As for SFMM they are really overrated. Most of their coasters suck. I would rather have quality over quantity.

I'm not siding with or against you, but how would building a giga be more logical than a huge woodie? A giga wouldn't be the tallest or fastest in the park. An RMC woodie likely would be.

Also, there are 2 Gigas in the U.S. One under 300 miles from Great Adventure in Intimidator 305 and Millenium Force.

Well, that was also when Shapiro was in charge of the parks. He left in 2010. Though they do seem to be following his lead. I mean, aren't Fiesta Texas, St. Louis and Discovery Kingdom (which doesn't have the height allowance to do one anyway) the only Six Flags parks without hypers now? (Not including Great Escape, as it's not flagged.)

I think Six Flags has discovered that they only need new big coasters every 5 years or so, and are sticking to that.

Great Adventure's last major coaster investment was in 2006. That's 9 years ago. It's time, we know it, and Six Flags knows it most likely. Six Flags needs to realize that SFMM can wait for 20 for a few years. Cedar Point doesn't feel the need to

"compete" with them anymore, so why get to 20 as quickly as they are if there is no true rush?

If Magic Mountain gets a major coaster in 2015 or 2016 (over $15 million) before Great Adventure does, I for one will not be happy with Six Flags Inc. Cedar Fair understands that your flagship park doesn't need to have a new coaster every year to be successful. Cedar Point is the best amusement park I've ever been to, and took 5 years off to invest in the other parks in the chain, and are doing so in 2014 with Kings Island and 2015 with Carowinds/Kings Dominion (possibly).

You may not consider Green Lantern or the new drop tower to be significant, but Six Flags and the general public do. I think GAdv. will get a new coaster next year anyway. Just be glad you aren't routinely shated like SFA, SFDK, SFSTL or SFFT. Heck, even SFOG is treated worse than Great Adventure!

I was talking about coaster investments, so the drop tower isn't a coaster, and Green Lantern is not a major investment. It is a major coaster, but not a major investment. I don't know the exact figures, but I'm sure it's under $5 million to relocate a major coaster.

Also, my home park is SFA, so I'm used to it, in a way.

^^ Oh sorry. I forgot about I305. But how can an RMC woodie be the tallest in the park? It is logical because if a woodie were to be built or should be a mid-sized one that could be an "in between" ride

A Giga would not the tallest coaster coaster in the park, but an RMC woodie could be taller than El Toro. They woudn't market it comparing it to a steel coaster. They'd market it as being the tallest wooden coaster in the park, possibly the world.

Also, an RMC would not be an in-between coaster.

You can not fairly compare Cedar Point to SFGAdv. Cedar Point needs to fill they hotel properties to maximize their revenue stream. Filling those hotels exponentially grows revenue versus revenue generated by day trippers to a park like SFGAdv.

^^People can continue hoping for one of the most expensive coaster types out there, that no SF park has, and that wouldn't even be the tallest thing in the park, if they want. Personally I'll be hoping for an RMC, which could break records (marketable), is affordable, and is actually something Six Flags is doing.

To market it, it would need to be taller than El Toro by what you are saying. In your opinion, how tall would it be? 200 feet?

Market it? SFGAdv doesn't need to market a new coaster because they continue to pack the park on summer weekends.

^^People can continue hoping for one of the most expensive coaster types out there, that no SF park has, and that wouldn't even be the tallest thing in the park, if they want. Personally I'll be hoping for an RMC, which could break records (marketable), is affordable, and is actually something Six Flags is doing.

To market it, it would need to be taller than El Toro by what you are saying. In your opinion, how tall would it be? 200 feet?

I can totally see SFGAdv getting the first (successful) wooden hyper, and you can bet that would be plenty marketable. Much more than a giga which breaks no records and is not the tallest coaster in the park.

I can totally see SFGAdv getting the first (successful) wooden hyper, and you can bet that would be plenty marketable. Much more than a giga which breaks no records and is not the tallest coaster in the park.

I could see this happening. RMC is kind of what Intamin prefabs were in the early 2000''s. I'm surprised Intamin didn't make a 200ft woodie. Colossos was very close though. I'm sure both Intamin and RMC are very capable of doing so.

Since when does a ride have to be a record breaker or the tallest in the park to be marketable? There are tons of rides added to a bunch of different parks every year that don't fit that standard and are still very marketable.

They don't have to be, and they never had to. I think the reason this is being discussed is because RMC has been breaking records with wooden coasters, and Great Adventure just removed a wooden coaster. It's fun to speculate about roller coasters, and this is the place to do so.

^ I understand that. I was saying the in regards to the giga debate because it's not the tallest and fastest in the park.

In regards to the park adding a wooden coaster thats taller than toro, I personally think it's a bad idea. The park just lost a wooden coaster that catered to a younger audience than toro. They should build something that fills that void before taking on a hyper woodie. Just my opinion.

Since when does a ride have to be a record breaker or the tallest in the park to be marketable? There are tons of rides added to a bunch of different parks every year that don't fit that standard and are still very marketable.

It certainly doesn't have to be, but just think for a second how enormously expensive a giga is, not just in terms of cash, but in terms of size. A park needs an extremely good reason to make that decision, when weighed against all the other options. Marketing departments at big parks love one thing that's quick and easy to grasp, "winged seats!" or "steepest drop!" etc, and saying "300 ft tall!" just doesn't mean as much when you've already got one that's 200 ft tall and 400 ft tall. They don't need it like King's Dominion needed it. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it's next to impossible.

Also, as far as major coasters at big parks go, yes they usually are a record breaker, or the first of its kind in the area. Especially something as huge as a giga.

This is a total fantasy but I really want great adventure to get a full circuit intamin impulse.. It would just fit perfectly into the parks lineup in my opinion. They need another launched coaster in the park. It's bizarre to me that the only one ever made was Volcano.

This is a total fantasy but I really want great adventure to get a full circuit intamin impulse.. It would just fit perfectly into the parks lineup in my opinion. They need another launched coaster in the park. It's bizarre to me that the only one ever made was Volcano.

The problem is that Volcano has almost embarrassing capacity. With an invert already there, I think an Intamin LSM like Maverick would work well. Also, the LIM coasters are kind of outdated, like the Chiller.

Wow there are some spoiled people in this thread.

Great Adventure doesn't need a new coaster. You could argue that they have the best coaster collection of any park in the world. Personally I wouldn't agree but nobody could argue with you if you made that statement. Let's take a step back and remember what we have here...

1) The world's tallest coaster and the fastest coaster in North America.

2) The #1 Wood coaster in the world.

3) A 230 foot hypercoaster

4) A great old school B&M invert that's still incredibly smooth and intense

5) A huge floorless coaster with 7 inversions

6) One of the tallest and fastest standup coasters in the world

7) A B&M flying coaster

8) An indoor family coaster

9) ANOTHER indoor family coaster

10) An outdoor family coaster

11) A kids coaster

12) A mine train coaster

But we need another coaster? Personally I love the direction the park has been heading in lately by introducing rides with mass appeal like SORA, Skyscreamer, the Bumper Cars and the Scrambler. This year we're getting the world's tallest drop ride. There's nothing to complain about here... Magic Mountain can have all of the records they want but Great Adventure has much better coasters.